is adding a subwoofer alone enough to make any car stereo sound good?

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, but it helps

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sometimes yes but often no

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

only if the music you listen to is garbage.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I want to say based, but what do you listen to?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He listens to some boomer classic rock station that plays "the summer of 69" song on repeat.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Summer of 69 is literally the name

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

only if the music you listen to is garbage.

classic rock sounds great on a sub. especially Rush

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Does anybody know what issue I might have with my stock system? LS430
    When I play any song, the subwoofer sounds like a dude snoring when any bassy part comes on. Don't know how to really put it but just a weird sound that isn't really quite right. I figure it might just be the age, don't know if I can fix it up or if I need a new subwoofer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it's blown I guess
      should be easy to source a replacement sub and put it in the old box

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ah I figured as much, another thing on my to-do list for the car

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The surround can go on old speakers. Go take a look at it and see if you have holes or rips in your surround. If so you can re-foam it.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You don't need to let the world know about the jungle beats you're playing, jamal.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i dont get sound gays, especially when the people who are into this shit like Black music, like why does the quality have to be so good?

You know what my car needs? Marginally better sound quality, a non usable trunk because I have a giant audio set up there now, and I need the music to be so loud that I get hearing damage.

I don't get it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Don't forget
      >I want every piece of interior trim and the windows to vibrate wildly

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

A stock stereo rarely is able to hit all the tones and notes of a modern musical.piece.
      I'm not talking about mumble rap.
      Rush XYZ is a prime example.
      You need a minimum 10" sub to hear some of the bass notes, that's just the physics of audio.
      If you only listen to Katy Perry and Hanson toll never notice.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Taylor Swift, Alicia Keys, Leona Lewis, Rihanna, Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, Natalie Imbruglia, Natasha Bedingfield etc sound amazing on my 12" subwoofer

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Taylor Swift

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Rush XYZ

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Upgrade in this order: Head unit, door speakers, amp, sub.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Close. Speakers first, then head unit. Factory head units are often fairly okay sound quality and usually easier to use than aftermarket units (why do they make the buttons so small?) but held back by the lowest bidder dogshit speakers.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

way to out yourself as an utter moron

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't understand how people listen through these bass-maxed setups. Vocals, guitars, snares - everything is drowned in low end flub that makes it sound like a badly broken stereo two streets away stuck in a basement. I remember putting thunderstruck through one of these pieces of shit after a friend "upgraded" his car and the intro humming part sounded like a landslide. Why do people do this?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it only sounds like shit if youre a moronic Black person and put a way too powerful amp for your setup.
      Most cars usually have pretty good highs and mids and are only missing the lows, so adding a subwoofer will make them sound REALLY good, BUT you have to add a subwoofer that wont overpower everything else. For a stock headunit with stock speakers usually a 250-300w amp is what you want to get. That will give it a nice sorround sound without drowining everything else

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

ACDC sounds like shit anyway. Were you expecting high fidelity quality of a song that can be played through 1980s truck speakers on AM radio and be at its peak quality?

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A decent mid bass woofer might be enough
    a lot of music does not really make use of the sub woofer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

unless youre listening to classical music literally every single comercial song makes use of a subwoofer

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>commercial song
        yea I guess 40 to 80 hz still counts as bass

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

TO THE WINDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Good audio confuses and angers the average white male.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>why yes, I do want to spend all day being assaulted by an 808 drum sample overlaid with a Black person saying homie at 115 decibels.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

See? his already confused and angry by the idea of good audio. In this state, he can only think of the loud Black person rap he heard so often blaring from the room of his ex-wife.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The only thing that bothers me regarding "good" audio is too much treble. My car's eq is +1 bass, 0 mid, -3 treble. The high pitched notes trigger my autism and put me on edge.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>sub in the trunk with plugs to disconnect it whenever I need the space.
    It only takes 10 seconds to remove it.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No but it's enough for me.
    Have a tad nicer setup at home but not by much.
    proper dsp equalization >>> expensive boomer hifi

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just get a EQ profile for your car and then convert all your mp3s to it so it sounds better in the car. The car playlist

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Heh interesting solution.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It helps because you can lower the bass over the normal speakers when in the dashboard.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

had a decent system
    just added a sub to get that punchy bass

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No. With subwoofer you only add more boom boom bass, nothing else. if you want much better sound then you first begin with speakers(door speakers first, 2nd dashboard speakers), then head unit.
    For best sound quality you want speakers with wide frequency response example 36-27000HZ. You dont want speakers with narrow frequency response like 36-18000hz because these offer poorer sound quality, rarely are any better than OEM speakers.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This anon is a dipshit.
      You want multiple component speakers that have a narrow response range individually but all frequencies are covered as a whole.
      Otherwise they're trying to play guitar, vocals and drums at the same time and each one distorts the other.

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

usually yeah, except that means amp and deck too, so you wouldn't say it's "just adding a sub". Mid drivers have been all but perfected in the last 20 years, so if your speakers aren't damaged and there aren't any rattles then a sub is pretty much all you need. If you're going over like 600w RMS you'll probably need some beefier mid drivers but if you just want to fill the low end 600w is more than plenty.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>"just want to fill the low end"
      600w is overkill and cheap "600 watt" subs wont be good
      What you need is a deep throw 12 inch in a box tuned for ~52Hz. 150 watts is enough for the 85-95db put out by a car audio turned up loud.

https://i.imgur.com/GOhWm6R.jpeg

Car audio cannot sound good without range isolation (component systems) and a good tunable parametric EQ of at least 12 bands.

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Upgraded my sub and amp off marketplace and the new amp I got has semi foreign to me conectors with no way to tighten the conection and they don't hold the speaker wire tight, anyone have a solution i.e. banana plug or somthing similar?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what model of amp ?
      if it has ordinary terminal blocks maybe the screws are only accessible with part of the lid taken off ? (my kenwood kac is a bit like this)
      only thing alike to this look I have seen are Pinch Screw Terminal Blocks, but they are much smaller.
      >banana plug or something similar
      ogga booga me would hand craft something like a double roller cabinet latch

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I suppose model number would help lol

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

kek, its just like my amp in having its speaker wire connectors covered by a plate, mine needs 2 mm allen hex wrench to take the plate off.
          your rockford amp seems to use M5 grub screws ? to hold the wire inside of the terminals, hopefully the unit still has its set grub screws.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes sir got it off is all looking good. Thank you anon

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

oops looks like the terminal blocks are held with #2 Philips

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What you really need is in addition to that subwoofer add high pass filters on the speakers to cut the bass out of them. That way you can get decent volume out of them without distortion.

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>signal to amp is delivered by some proprietary data bus instead of ordinary +- terminals from the head unit
    It's over.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

just cut it and splice an rca cable into it Black person

23. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

stock head units with internal amps are easily overwhelmed and will start clipping easily when the sound gets complicated at moderate volume.
    your car may not have tweeters. it was an option for higher trim models for a very long time. add some tweeters if you don't have them.
    your car may have blown stock speakers. replace your speakers with quality units every 10 years for best results. car speakers are subject to extreme temperature swings and external vibration and shock, unlike your 90's computers speakers which probably still work to this day.
    an amp with dedicated channels, 4 door speakers, 2-4 tweeters, and one very small sub under a seat is probably the best setup. tune your setup to keep most of the bass off of the door speakers and most treble off of the door speakers. door speakers are for mids, tweeters for treble, and sub for bass. there should be a small amount of crossover between those boundaries.
    isolating the cabin from road noise is the next step if you're not happy with your audio quality.

24. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

unless you listen to drum and bass its gonna sound garbage for most music.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No it doesn't dumb frick, most subs have a bass knob so you can adjust it for any genre

25. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'd say simply adding Dynamat or equivalent under your speakers already makes a huge difference.

26. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes

27. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *