is electric power steering le bad or le good? can you even buy a new car with hydraulic power steering anymore?

is electric power steering le bad or le good? can you even buy a new car with hydraulic power steering anymore?

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it can be ok

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's le bad because it just is le bad

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's the worst thing ever.
    In terms of steering feel, it feels the same as one of those Logitech motor-driven steering wheels.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not true, I have one construction machine with fully hudraulic steering.
      The wheel is just a valve.
      Wheels are turned with a hydraulic ram.
      There is no feel at all.
      Hit a rock at 30mph which is it's croozing speed.
      You wont know until it launches you out of the chair as it has no suspension.
      There is no return to center either.
      You can't feel when it's going straight leading many-a-newb to overcompensate and enter into a driver induced oscilation + panic braking.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>engine power > belt > hydraulic pump > fluid > steering rack
    vs
    >engine power > belt > electric pump > electricity > electric motor > steering rack

I mean I guess it might be nice to not have to worry about the fluids and the potential for leaks, but I can't help but think there's an extra step here and it was only implemented to give the computer control over your steering.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>electric pump
      you mean alternator/battery? manufacturers are moving to EPS because govt wants moar mpg

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yeah I mean the alternator I'm just trying to point out how its basically the same thing as the power steering pump

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

But the alternator is present either way, so in theory, it would be better to just have electric steering to avoid extra components/complexity

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>hvae new car
      >thought it was hydraulic becasue when the engine is off the steering wheel feels hard, and even if the key is on the ON position but the engine is off it will still feel heavy
      >mfw its actually electric

wtf?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Maybe it's disabled when the engine's not running so it can't empty the battery?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

#
      >stering wheel>steering column>steering box>drag link>tie rod>spindle>hub>wheel

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

for me its not figuring out you got bad suspension bushings upfront cus no direct link between wheel and wheel

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

To be fair hydraulic steering is a bit like that too since the wheel no longer directly connects to the rack gear.
      I had an MX5 and it wasn't until I depowered the rack that I able to pinpoint my steering woes to the later model upper ball joints fitted by the previous owner having a different taper which didn't seat properly.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>To be fair hydraulic steering is a bit like that too since the wheel no longer directly connects to the rack gear.
        wtf

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Do you not know how a hydraulic steering rack controls how much pressure to send to which side of the ram?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So? The hydraulics works in parallel, not in series with the mechanical parts. Are you moronic?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's a no then? You didn't know your steering wheel is not directly attached to the pinion gear which drives your steering rack?
            You didn't know that if you remove the pressurised fluid from your steering system you'll have to use a welder to permanently fix the steering column to the pinion lest you have several degrees if steering freeplay?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh, you're talking about the control valve. Mine has a torsion bar in it. Yours doesn't?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh what does the torsion bar do?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Provides a mechanical connection and transfers rotational movement between the intermediate steering shaft and the pinion?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Oh, how come it's made out of spring steel?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are you implying that spring steel is a liquid under normal conditions?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Is it perhaps made out of spring steel because it is designed to provide a differentiation of movement between the steering column and the pinion gear?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

So let me get this straight, there's a part made from steel that connects two shafts, but you are trying to say there's no direct connection between these shafts at the same time.
            >is designed to provide a differentiation of movement
            ..while maintaning that connection, and it's mechanical (not hydraulic, not electric) in nature.
            I mean if you have a slack in your drivetrain, can you say the output shaft is no longer connected to the wheels directly?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly, how would you phrase it?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Idk, I'd mention there's a torsion bar inside, and it's allowed several degrees of movement as you did a couple of posts ago. I won't even use the word play or slack because it doesn't feel like that if the system is working.

I mean there is a couple of systems out there (in production) with no direct connection like that Infiniti electrical steering (electronics with mechanical coupling as a fallback) or the Tesla bullshit (don't really care), but they are very, very different.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah so anyway like I was saying the steering wheel doesn't DIRECTLY connect to the pinion gear, it is coupled to it through a spring designed to provide movement which is why, as I was saying, it's also a bit hard to pinpoint suspension problems with hydraulic power steering.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>it's also a bit hard to pinpoint suspension problems with hydraulic power steering.
            skill issue

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah righto m8

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

> no direct link between wheel and wheel
      moron alert

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>can you even buy a new car with hydraulic power steering anymore?
    Lotus Emira

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I like the EPS in my Challenger
    three configurable force feedback modes and it's very communicative, you can feel everything the car is doing even on "comfort".
    however it's annoying to adjust alignment because every time you have to clear the pull compensation out of the computer or else it will give you strange results.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Inline eps sucks, and BMW rack mounted eps sucks, but most other rack mounted eps is pretty good. Somehow Rover managed to get an incredibly nice steering feel out of theirs

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

electric power steering are essentially assistant motors on a depowered rack.
    Your ECU controls all that shit, if you dont like the feel, you can change some of the settings with an aftermarket chip tune or standalone

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>lighter weight
    >mechanically simpler
    >maintenance free
    >can code the amount of force feedback in software
    I love me an old school hydraulic ps but slap some poly bushings and turn down the assist on a car with eps and you won't miss it.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Panda5

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    They're worse, and possibly my single biggest issue with new cars. You can't feel imperfections in the road so are constantly reacting to the car veering slightly left and right. The wheels always feel dead and have that 90s GM dead zone.
    If you have to constantly and consciously think about keeping your car in a straight line (not an issue with hydraulic) then it's less safe and worse.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this has much more to do with alignment than eps versus hydro
      new cars are toed in for predictable directional control at the limit, it also lowers the cornering traction limits to make cars understeer more, this forces normies to not push the cars hard. the taller a car is the more it needs to understeer at the limit, because if slides into corners like a sports car would it might flip over.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My Twingo has one of those primitive EPS systems, my dad's old Passat has a hydraulic rack. The Passat definitely has more steering feedback, speaking from my own experience of having driven both cars.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

works gr8 on my 15 year old corolla

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

15 yr old corollas do not have eps lmao

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

they definitely do.
        >t. bro's 2007/8 corolla whose steering feels so effortless and numb that you can't feel a thing from the road

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP is homosexual reddit scum your shitty lingo is not welcome here.
    have a nice day.

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't use power steering because I like to feel connected to the road and in control when I'm driving.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *