Is it a dumb idea to get one of these?

Is it a dumb idea to get one of these? Im a poorgay but found a 150cc for $200 that apparently ran 2 years ago before it sit.
Planned to just throw a couple hundred at a small engine mechanic and get it fixed since it probably just needs carburetor and fluid.
I just dunno if something that old would be constantly unreliable

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

1. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Carbs suck but otherwise enjoy all that pussy and I'm not even joking.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

This. For some reason, women LOVE scooters.
      Carbs are annoying to work on, but 99.9% of these little bikes have 1 single-barrel carb. That means no syncing. Easy. As long as you ride it relatively often you don't need to clean it out.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Very based

>Carbs suck
      zoomers and millennials should leave

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

Sarah Connor.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

>Is it a dumb idea to get one of these?
      Some scooter shops do not work on scooters that are not the brand they sell at that shop OR scooters of different brands unless it was a used scooter sold by that shop. Before you buy that scooter, make sure that you have shops around that have parts and will be able to service something that old (more than eight years).

>otherwise enjoy all that pussy
      Females are status conscious. DUI convictions prohibit driving a car for 30 days. So if you see someone on a scooter, they are possibly a DUI convict.

A scooter rider is a "dusty man" to most women.

2. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Learn English first before posting.

The answer about reliability is who knows. I would sooner pick up a newer scooter preferably in the 50cc or under category, so you do not need to go through motorcycle licensing.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

>Learn English first before posting.
      Lmao get a kid of this moron. Darling, you don’t even need to know English to become American and you want people learning English simply to post on this basket weaving south East Asian honey pot?

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

If you're willing to buy a 49cc scooter you might as well just get an electric-bike.
      Can reach the same speeds with less maintenance.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

You do have a point, but the cost of maintenance can be higher, since everything is proprietary with a large amount of e-bikes. Still a worthy consideration of OP.

>t. DAgay and /n/gay

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm just saying that because I was recently looking into 49cc scooters to have an alternate ride for short trips to give my car a break from short/non-highway trips (which hurt my engine more), as well as avoid a license endorsement and insurance.
          What I found is that anything that's cheaper than the higher end e-bikes are of extremely questionable quality. It might be worth it if those things could reach 50 mph, but I imagine that would verge into legal issues (which sucks, it would be awesome if there was something that could keep up with cars 100% of the time on all non-highway roads without having to feed the insurance israelite).

Not an expert on bikes, but what it looks like to me is that to get something that's really worth it you have to be willing to spend $3k+. That's just on the edge of used car price range. Still low enough to be justifiable, but still high enough to hesitate.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

What’s wrong with motorcycle license? It takes like a hour to get
      Plus a 150 can go 70mph
      All I care about is reliability

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

If you are up to it, then look at your other options first and weigh them out. How would this tack up against something like a Yamaha Vino 125? (If any of these are in your area).

I'm just saying that because I was recently looking into 49cc scooters to have an alternate ride for short trips to give my car a break from short/non-highway trips (which hurt my engine more), as well as avoid a license endorsement and insurance.
        What I found is that anything that's cheaper than the higher end e-bikes are of extremely questionable quality. It might be worth it if those things could reach 50 mph, but I imagine that would verge into legal issues (which sucks, it would be awesome if there was something that could keep up with cars 100% of the time on all non-highway roads without having to feed the insurance israelite).

Not an expert on bikes, but what it looks like to me is that to get something that's really worth it you have to be willing to spend $3k+. That's just on the edge of used car price range. Still low enough to be justifiable, but still high enough to hesitate.

This too, plus a lot of e-Bike dealers are very shady characters (at least in my area).

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

Yamaha is $1500 while this is $200 lol

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Okay and what about condition?The Yamaha could be in good condition with low miles.

Maybe the seller is willing to bargain.

What I am trying to get at it is if the Honda is worth getting, then you have to work on it first in order to get it running.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Already tried not getting a yamaha for under 1k
            The Honda elite is in pretty good condition other than a couple small scratches and dust
            Small engine mechanics told me it would cost between 50-100 depending

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Alright, it sounds like a good deal from what you are telling me, but do you trust these mechanics?

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Dont know them but they seem legit i would imagine scooters are way easier to fix than cars at least.
            Haven’t had the chance to ask the mechanics i have that work on my car if they mess with them

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

guy that sells them around here was telling me he fronted one to a hobo, repo'd when he didn't pay, and then asked if I wanted it for $800. dont wanna deal with that guy or his shifty hobo repo ways. if I had shit laying around (picrel), how hard could it be to diy?

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

If that's yours it shouldn't be too complicated to switch it to lithium packs for better range. Looks like it's 24v so there's plenty of parts available. You should be able to just get a premade battery pack and wire it up. Make sure it's got a BMS and isn't made of the cheapest chinkshit cells. Might want to replace that chain and keep it lubed too.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

from what I can find its a 24v 350w with two 12v batteries. I already pulled it all off the frame with the intention of putting it on something else. two wires were clipped that should be an easy fix, but after that, what am I to be doing for the best shit:giggle ratio?

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Looks like that type of motor is good for about 25kph/16mph in an e-bike, so it should have similar power for a minibike. You could convert it back to internal combustion fairly easily, and there's various performance parts available.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

Not OP but in Australia bike licences are a major pain in the ass to get

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

American licences come in cornflake boxes most of the world feels your pain.
          I got my bike licence 40+ years ago when the world was a simpler place.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Licenses should be easy
            I hate that i have to shill out 7k just to drive a semi now baka

3. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Just wrenchmax and if you get a japanese scooter it will be reliable.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Im literally moronic mechanically I can barely change tires or battery terminals lmao

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

I believe in you, anon.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

Thanks

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

it's a chad move to buy transportation you can afford, it'll be better than walking and probably better than public transit depending on where you live. you could learn to do all the maintanence yourself i'm sure. i might try to find one in working order though

Would it really be reliable given that it’s 40 years old?
      I actually have a car but having a backup and secondary vehicle seems great

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

40 years old and not running for 2 years? unless i was buying it to fix myself i wouldn't. could be a satisfying project to learn yourself how to mechanic

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

They said it should be only the carburetor because that’s what was acting up before they parked it
          I figured even paying a mechanic it would only be like $400 max even if it needs a few more things

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

I have multiple 40 year old motorcycles.
        The key is fixing stuff in the first year of riding, once that is done they are reliable.
        Look online for parts suppliers/ebay parts before you get it too. Some japanese bikes were short lived and parts can be hard to find. Others were made for 20+years.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

What parts should I check for? Carbs where 30-40

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

rubber stuff like intake manifold.
            Just to see if there is a parts website or if ebay is the only source.
            Check forums too.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

These are great I almost got one for putsing around in town so I didn't have to chain up my fireblade all the time. I ended up getting a yamaha cs5 200 because I found one for 800 but I was trying to get a moped.

>I just dunno if something that old would be constantly unreliable
          if you can wrench you'll be fine. I rode a 78 cb550 for years and it never failed me, it was a turd too.

this is what happens. The parts thing is a big deal unless you want to make everything

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

It's powered by a glorified lawnmower engine. If it breaks down you can pull it out and carry it into your kitchen by hand and rebuild it on the counter.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

Good point

4. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

it's a chad move to buy transportation you can afford, it'll be better than walking and probably better than public transit depending on where you live. you could learn to do all the maintanence yourself i'm sure. i might try to find one in working order though

5. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes.
    Import Picrel instead
    >liquid cooled
    >40hp from factory

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Looking for a 500 scooter not a 3k one or I would just get a motorcycle
      Me getting a scooter is literally a cope for being unable to afford a bike lmao

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

>Looking for a 500 scooter not a 3k one
        Ahh, gotcha anon.
        In that case, I would strongly recommend looking for an old Honda XR 125 (early 80's)
        You may be able to pick one up for $500.

It's the safer transport, and more versatile.
        Those old scooters are underpowered and dangerous.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

Why so dangerous? It wouldn’t really be driven in a city or anything I live rural so those old dirtbikes are still 1k minimum lol

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

>Why so dangerous?
            Have you ever ridden one before?
            The movement and directional control can be really touchy and squirrely. (small wheels + low center of gravity of the scooter mixed with you up high = very touchy)
            Its an automatic gearbox with that weird rear brake pedal on the floorboard which will be awkward, I guarantee you.
            To use it, you shift a great deal of balance if you move your leg a bunch.

Find an old (running) beater bike.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

I rode a new 50cc before
            Was okay you just have to lean a lot

I bought a smaller 80cc version of those from an anon some years ago for $100. After changing out some electrical parts and rebuilding the carb it turned out to be a pretty fun little guy. Lasted a couple of years before it ultimately shit the bed due to what I figured was some sort of electrical issue. Put maybe 1500 miles in the span of 3 years of just doing small errands. The worst thing was having to deal with the carbs. I never knew what shit gas certain gas stations had until I had to deal with a carbed bike, and I'd later notice the differences of where the gas comes from even in my FI bikes. I shill Shell's Sinclair's gas over any other gas station sludge when given the option. In my time with it I would avoid any major streets exceeding 40 mph. The whole "DUDE ITS MAX SPEED IS 60" is not a good thing. Yes a scooter might be able to do 60-70 but it accelerates like dog shit. At the end of the day, if it runs then $200 is a good deal.

Doesn’t run has a carb problem lol
            Ik running there like 1500 though

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

>Doesn’t run has a carb problem lol

As far as you know. When you're dealing with something this old it's going to be more than just a carb rebuild.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Oof
            How much could I end up spending?

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

More than what you would imagine.

>Carb rebuild kit, average $30-$50 depending on model.
            >starter solenoids, rectifiers, around $50 starting starter motors $80+
            >battery $40-$100

Then theres basic shit you'll need if you dont want it to kill you

>throttle cables $10, assuming your brakes are cable actuated another $20
            >brake pads/shoes $30-$40
            >tires $40-$100 each
            >drive belt $40-$100

Used to work at the parts counter for a jap dealer. Would get kids buying some 1980s to early 2000s crap and get sticker shocked or leave empty knowing some part they need is discontinued all the time when they come looking for parts. God forbid one of hard parts is broken on a carb, because there's a good chance the carb is discontinued, and the Amazon special carb that claims to work for $20 sure as frick isnt gonna do shit, and if through some miracle you can find an OEM carb be prepared to pay out the ass.

Honestly? Dont do it. Either become a /n/ gay or save some money for something that actually runs.

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

Idk $400 in stuff still isn’t so bad
            Could probably try to carb and if that doesn’t work turn around and sell it for my money back anyway tbh

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

Sorry, I meant Honda XL 125

6. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a smaller 80cc version of those from an anon some years ago for $100. After changing out some electrical parts and rebuilding the carb it turned out to be a pretty fun little guy. Lasted a couple of years before it ultimately shit the bed due to what I figured was some sort of electrical issue. Put maybe 1500 miles in the span of 3 years of just doing small errands. The worst thing was having to deal with the carbs. I never knew what shit gas certain gas stations had until I had to deal with a carbed bike, and I'd later notice the differences of where the gas comes from even in my FI bikes. I shill Shell's Sinclair's gas over any other gas station sludge when given the option. In my time with it I would avoid any major streets exceeding 40 mph. The whole "DUDE ITS MAX SPEED IS 60" is not a good thing. Yes a scooter might be able to do 60-70 but it accelerates like dog shit. At the end of the day, if it runs then $200 is a good deal.

7. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Come with me if you want to live

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

That’s legit half the reason i want one not sure if it’s a 150 or 250 in the movie or not though

8. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

The only people around me who drive those are alcoholics who had their license revoked.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

They got the 50cc Chinese ones the non Chinese ones are cool

9. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

The future is fricking weird.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cYzlqvDTafI?si=5ydc9gXeVNgwn9nA

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Lmao
      As a clown moder I want one
      Honestly I wonder how hard it id to actually ride a unicycle

10. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

obligatory

11. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

If you are too poor for ABS, at least get one with front discs anon.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

But it’s fun

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

Discs are fun too, your life matters a lot, when you say stop, the bike should stop, better go with a disc.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/yOTabQz.png

Discs are fun too, your life matters a lot, when you say stop, the bike should stop, better go with a disc.

abs is unnecessary
      drums work fine

12. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

It's a bad idea if you don't have any transport currently. How long do you think it will take to fix it? If you are paying someone else, there is always the chance they have no idea what they're doing and it could take a long time. You might even get it back without it fixed or with new issues. This kind of thing is really best when you have time and tools of your own, while being able to get around with other transportation. Don't forget riding in the rain or cold, while doable, is often miserable without gear that costs even more money than the bike. Good luck, OP.

13. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Tfw someone bought it before I even made it there despite it barely being listed for a day
    Frick marketplace

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

It sucks. Your best chance is to be the first one to send a message (not just "is this thing you listed an hour ago still available?") and the first to show up with cash. Bring the full amount and try to negotiate in person instead of over messenger.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

That’s what I did do it was listed last night and we planned for this evening
        Fricking annoying because I know im going to see it re listed for $1500 in a week
        Frick resellers

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

>frick resellers
          agreed

14. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

If you're going to get a scooter then get a Honda Helix.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

It’s so heavy and ugly though

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous
        • 4 months ago
          Anonymous

Is that supposed to be impressive ?

• 4 months ago
            Anonymous

>Is that supposed to be impressive ?
            https://kymcousa.com/2023-scooters/2023-cv3/

15. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

My issue with 150cc is that it gives you no power to be able to accelerate out of trouble.
    That's the main reason I decided not getting a Grom even though I wanted one.
    If they ever make it 300cc version I'll be much more open to getting one.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

>My issue with 150cc is that it gives you no power to be able to accelerate out of trouble.
      This is a fallacy with scooters.
      You have 14hp or so with a cvt, so if you pin it you get 14hp from the stop and up to 50mph it's enough to beat most cars.
      I used to split and filter through the suburbs and 90% of the time I would pull of the dig and get into an open lane quicker then the cars.
      With a grom I agree. 5 gears and a low powered air cooled bike is slower.
      My scoot was watercooled with a rotax engine and she was pretty fast.... until 50mph, maybe 60.

This. For some reason, women LOVE scooters.
      Carbs are annoying to work on, but 99.9% of these little bikes have 1 single-barrel carb. That means no syncing. Easy. As long as you ride it relatively often you don't need to clean it out.

I did have one older lady ask about the scoot at my community college.
      I am a wizard so this is a rare incident.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

You should offer her cheese like a proper mystic

16. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Licensing and insurance laws vary for both the motorbike and the rider. In my area, ALL motorbikes are required to be licensed and plated with current tabs. If the motorbike is 50cc or less, a normal car driver license is allowed to use this vehicle on public roads. If the motorbike is over 50cc, then a motorcycle endorsement is needed for the driver license. You must look up the area laws.

And before you get one, you must understand the roadway situation. The 12 and 13 inch wheel scooters can't really go over 25 MPH without crashing risk if there are undulations in the roadway surface. And even larger wheeled scooters can have problems as well. It's why some scooters such as the Kymco People series have 16-inch front and 14-inch rear wheels so that you can go 30MPH or more without tumbling from undulations, a rock, a pothole, or a rough patch.
    https://kymcousa.com/2023-scooters/2023-people-s-150i-abs/

Scooters are also invisible to many car drivers. They are not psychologically looking for anything other than a car. They will turn or enter your lane as if you were not there. In the USA, hit and run is normal especially if the car is driven by an illegal alien.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Was that that chang twink riding in the back?

17. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes, it's a dumb idea. They're old as frick, parts are expensive if available at all, those elites in particular were needlessly complicated with shit like water cooled engines, popup headlight, etc shit that will be broken or will break. The drum brakes will be worn, the shocks will be worn, it will run like shit, leak oil, and you'll get harassed by cops because you're an easy target.

t. owned a ch125 17 years ago.

18. 4 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Wish they actually made a purple one

19. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

>not buying one of these from a salesgirl with cute feet

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

let me guess.......LET ME FRICKING GUESS....Honda doesnt sell the Sonic in the USA?

20. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Tfw you need a bike licence to drive one of those around here and then forced to wear a helmet.
    Sucks man

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

Why would you not wear a helmet

Some scooter shops do not work on scooters that are not the brand they sell at that shop OR scooters of different brands unless it was a used scooter sold by that shop. Before you buy that scooter, make sure that you have shops around that have parts and will be able to service something that old (more than eight years).

>otherwise enjoy all that pussy
      Females are status conscious. DUI convictions prohibit driving a car for 30 days. So if you see someone on a scooter, they are possibly a DUI convict.

A scooter rider is a "dusty man" to most women.

Literally any lawnmower repair guy could fix it

21. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

As a general rule getting one of those if you live in a climate that allows to get some real use out of it is not dumb. 150cc will go well enough for city/close suburban riding. Reliablility is a tossup, it might be fine, it might start dying on you sooner than later, in general if it sat for a while there is a whole bunch of issues you need to start worrying about on top of normal use (carb, vacuum petwiener, odd corrosion where you don't expect, occult shit in the electrical harness and so on) so you better get someone who knows that shit with you to take a look before you pay up, especially if you are a poorgay. If you don't frick up you will at least get something with good gas mileage and not totally sucking, if you do frick up be prepared to sell at a loss or scrap as fixing too many things will just cost more than buying a better one, that's the gamble with the bottom of the barrel buys.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *