Is it really true that in american restaurants when you pay with a card they take your card out in the back??

Is it really true that in american restaurants when you pay with a card they take your card out in the back?? Why would you allow this?!?

Don't they have pic related there?

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

1. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

yes, they take your card to the back, type in the card number, security code and expiration date, and submit the price

this system works because public trust in the USA is VERY HIGH. we know that we can trust each other here so we don't worry about getting scammed.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

No it's because they would get arrested

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

So you give them your pin number?? That can't be true.

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

We don't use pins on credit cards here

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

Wait wtf? So when you go to the atm you don't need to put your code to withdraw money?

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

That Anon is just being pedantic. You don't withdraw money with a credit card you do so with a debit card. A credit card is borrowing money.

You do need to use a pin number to withdraw money with a debit card or to use your debit card at purchases over a certain price.

You don't need to use it if you're using a credit card or at certain retailers under a price. Generally you don't need to use your pin number when buying food at a restaurant.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

It's important to note here that unlike Europeans, most Americans never use their debit card for anything aside from pulling money at ATMs.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

lmao what? Everyone I know uses their debit card for everything

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

Wait wtf? So you'd rather borrow money from the bank and be indebted to ~~*them*~~ than spending your own money on shit you like without owing them shit?

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

They have credit score, kinda like chinas social score but for money

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

You just pay it off every month, why would you spend your own money when you can spend someone elses?
            If the money is stolen/scammed it becomes ~~*their*~~ problem

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah thats also very different here. I never had a credit card in my life and overall credit is seen as a bad thing and irresponsible.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah that makes more sense, here any purchase over 50€ i have to put my pin. But credit or debit i would hope its the same rules because you're gonna pay that money either way.

My mom uses the banking app on the phone so she doesn't even carry the card

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

Jesus Christ you're moronic.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

You'll need a pin at an ATM whether you're using a debit card to withdraw from your account or a credit card to perform a cash advanced.
            At a store you'll only use your pin if you use your debit card AND choose to run it as debit (idk why you'd do that). If you use a credit card or just run your debit card as credit then no pin, just a signature above a certain price.
            Travelling in the military I saw multiple people get tripped up in Europe because they'd go to use their GTC and the machine would ask for a pin but they either never set one up or just didn't remember it.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

You don't you just spend the money you have in your account? Why all the credit?

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

We don't use pins on credit cards here

It's the same here and our public trust is extremely low, but I never heard of anyone's card getting stolen this way, I guess because it'd be easy to trace

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

How does this jive with the mentality that you need an AR next to your bed incase someone tries to kill you as you sleep?

2. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

This is pretty much standard for counter service restaurants and fast food pickup. At a restaurant you give the waiter your card and they return with two copies of the receipt, one to sign and one to keep if you want.

3. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

old places never upgraded past old chip readers that require you to insert the card and they only have one. in new places or large chains the waiters will have a mobile reader or you just scan a qr code and pay.

4. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

It is true. I was weirded the frick out when I came back from Europe and Asia after many years and but had to do a layover in LA for several hours. They take your card and then they make you sign the receipt like if this was 1992 or some shit lmao. And of course, they take the liberty to add a 15% "gratuity" on the total. Weird, grim place.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

>They take your card and then they make you sign the receipt like if this was 1992 or some shit lmao
      the signing is so weird to me. who the frick checks the signature? what's the significance of it?

do the restaurant staff just do it because they were told they had to in 1990?

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

the whole point of signing the receipt is so that the restaurant has proof that you authorized the transaction so that if you call your bank to dispute it they can say nuh uh you signed right here

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

I wonder how many restaurants save the receipts. probably none

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

they hold onto em for some time i believe, where i worked the manager collected them at the end of the night and put them in a big drawer in her office. also 90% of waiters and waitresses are the scummiest fricking slimy low down people on earth

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

As somebody who has had to dispute for example if my car gets booted and I pay, I say I was forced to sign at duress and did not actually authorize the charge. 90% of the time no company especially a company that boots cars wants to go to court for $300 with a bank like Bank of America.

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

oh yeah it wouldn’t be worth it. i think restaurantgays just do it for peace of mind more than anything. its a very low margin business

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

they can literally do a thing called an auto-gratuity to your card that just adds the tip fee to your charge without telling you, and if you're foreign 99% of the time they'll do it. waiters in this country are actual scum

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

what happens if you dispute the charge?

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

you could probably dispute it if you notice it

5. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

High trust society.

6. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

They increasingly do it your way, btw.

US payments are always a few years behind elsewhere; we're very conservative about our money. Notice how all of our bills are the same size and color too.

>Why would you allow this?!?

Why wouldn't we? The waiter can put a skimmer on the table side reader just as easily.

7. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

>You earn points for borrowing money from the israelites even if you have your own money to spend
    kek

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

They also have cool israelite things, like the 401k's

8. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

Basically, if someone at a restaurant steals your credit card, it will be easy for the credit card company to find out and punish the restaurant, who will probably be able to identify the employee and get them arrested. So they don't do it.

If you pay your credit card off every month then they don't charge you any interest or fees and you still get the points. This is why people use them over debit cards here.

• 5 months ago
      Anonymous

What are these israeli shekel "points"? What can you do with them? Are they like airline miles?

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

Depends on the card, I just get 2% back in cash and no foreign transaction fee for my main card. My Amazon shekels card gives 5% back.

• 5 months ago
          Anonymous

5% back is pretty good, but how can they give you 5% back? What's the catch?

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

It's only 5% at amazon and whole foods and the "cash" can only be used there I think. But that's where I do most of my shopping

• 5 months ago
            Anonymous

The catch is that credit cards charge businesses 2.5% every time they process a payment. They're just giving most of that back to you. Businesses account for the fee into their pricing, so prices are higher than they otherwise would be, and so people who don't have a credit card are subsidizing the rewards of the people who do.

They don't have this system in Europe because card swipe fees are capped at like 0.25%

• 5 months ago
        Anonymous

>Are they like airline miles?
        Yes, that's how it all started, airlines would offer cards and give you airline miles for every dollar spent. For most cards now, it's just straight cash back of between 1-2% on every dollar you spend. Some other cards are 5-10% back if you shop at the store that issues it.

9. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

Depends where you are, before covid I lived in central Cali and they still did this. In 2022 I moved to Washington and it was mostly them bringing the card reader to you.
    Some chain restaurants like red robin just have a tablet on the table and you don't need to wait for the waiter.

10. 5 months ago
    Anonymous

>America
    they take your card
    >Canada
    they come to you with the payment machine
    >Japan
    you gotta go up to the front to pay

I like Japan the most because you can just get up and go to pay without having to wait for some moron to come give you the bill and then half the time they don't even bring the machine

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *