Is it true that on modern sports cars, exhaust is pretty much as efficient as you can get and getting aftermarket exhaust at best will only get you a ...

Is it true that on modern sports cars, exhaust is pretty much as efficient as you can get and getting aftermarket exhaust at best will only get you a couple horsepower, and at worst will actually reduce horsepower?
Is that for real or is that just poors who can't afford a good exhaust system coping?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just straight pipe it

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This. Or better yet cut off the headers before they join and run some sick stubbies.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This. Or better yet cut off the headers before they join and run some sick stubbies.

I'm not based enough for that.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Black person tier

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Currently working out a full exhaust setup for an LA 360 and there's tiny, tiny part of me that wants to do this.

But then I remember the one time it seperated a foot past the Y pipe and realized that I like retaining what hearing I have left.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Is that for real or is that just poors who can't afford a good exhaust system coping?
    Why does it go from a single channel to dual exists? Is it because you're a ricer?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Because the pipe isn't the restriction, the mufflers to reach EPA noise regulation are.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Blued tips and symmetrical, that's rice as frick. The only reason for 1->2 is to have a loud side and a quiet side with a valve or insert to fine-tune sound.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Except for, you know, physics.

Post your million dollar R&D results since you seem to know more than professionals.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The frick are you on about? Exhaust tips are 100% marketing. If one exhaust outlet (and some wastegates for when you get pedantic) are good enough for formula one they're good enough for your mom's Camry.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>is to have a loud side and a quiet side with a valve or insert to fine-tune sound.
          youre a ricer

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Blued tips and symmetrical, that's rice as frick. The only reason for 1->2 is to have a loud side and a quiet side with a valve or insert to fine-tune sound.

The frick are you on about? Exhaust tips are 100% marketing. If one exhaust outlet (and some wastegates for when you get pedantic) are good enough for formula one they're good enough for your mom's Camry.

Lol im not even that guy but wtf are you on about?
      >why dual exits?
      Guy mentions mufflers and regulations

Because the pipe isn't the restriction, the mufflers to reach EPA noise regulation are.

>Blued tips
      Irrelevant
      >Symmetrical
      Because physics

Except for, you know, physics.

Post your million dollar R&D results since you seem to know more than professionals.

>Keeps going on about exaust tips
      >Brings up f1 because you can totally compare street car regulations to f1 regulations
      Lol get wrecked boyo

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

How does a 1-2 junction improve airflow? A y pipe is a pointless bend and additional turbulence.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

See

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So you're argument is that it has no negatives?

See

100% marketing

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Im not that anon but you dont address his points. Dude mentions

Then you go off on exhaust tips.

F1 doesnt have mufflers do they? Again you dont address the guys points.
            By chance, do you happen to be israeli?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

He (you) have no points. I'm the miatanon from earlier, post bread on car or any photographic evidence that you're not a bot or busrider. The captcha says KYS

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The guy who crashed the miata?
            >no points
            Read this

and please dont respond with more exhaust tips

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not the euro who crashed his friend's,

https://i.imgur.com/1CgzJLl.jpg

Catalytic converters, especially the one nearest to the engine are about a 10% loss on most cars if you're also willing and able to tune the ECU. The muffler itself, yeah.

That being said stock sounds gay, put some money into a decent setup either legitimately designed for your car or custom made if you really want to dive in. Picrel is my muffler, header is for off-road use, and yes my Miata wakes up the neighborhood with the most obnoxious cold starts I've ever heard. I like shifting by sound, feel free to seethe.

Your entire waste of text point is that there's no practical down side. I don't disagree. A 1-2 catback exists to make two visual exits. It could have been a universally more theoretically functional 1-1 with a larger single muffler and exit. That design generally means lower mass and less restriction (even if irrelevant). No, I'm not claiming the 5lbs and 0.1psi increase actually matters, I'm saying the only purpose of that 1-2 setup for a catback is aesthetics.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And in case I have to spell it out for you, the total volume of baffled/glasspacked muffler is about the same whether it's cut in half and split between two pipes or kept together within one

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>500cfm through baffled 2" chamber 18" long is the same as 500cfm through (2) baffled 2" chambers 9" long....
            Tell me you're a highschool dropout without telling me you're a highschool dropout.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You're right, with the single you could reduce the length and get the same dB reduction. Ricers with fake dual exhausts lose again.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Also why are you keeping the ID the same throughout? That's disingenuous and just bad exhaust design tbh. Your car will sound farty as frick if you run a single 2" into dual 2" and that's ignoring baffling and sound reduction issues.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Because the pipe before the muffler doesn't matter as much as the pipe after the muffler.
            Once again- physics.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So you cite the increased resistance of a single 2" relative to dual 2"s while simultaneously ignoring the existence of larger IDs and claiming resistance doesn't matter (when it benefits your point)? KYS

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Nothing I've said has been false.
            Eat a dick, homosexual.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Everything you've said has been willfully moronic even if technically correct. There is no benefit to a well designed dual setup over a well designed single. Your hypothetical undersized single is worse, sure.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

If youre miatabro, i havent posted since i posted the key.
            If i was to respond, id say something along the lines of packaging size. Big single muffler vs smaller duals. Sometimes fitting two smaller ones just fits better

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

a y pipe at the right place can create a backwards pressure wave that helps evacuate exhaust gasses faster at certain rpm
          I guess thats how it could improve, but that anon is shittalking

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes, in the header. Any argument that a 1-2 junction at the end of the midpipe half the car away from the exhaust ports matters is on par with bumper stickers giving +5 HP

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

if it matters at the headers it will matter until the end of the exhaust
            maybe not to such an extend but the exhaust is supposed to be a closed system until the end

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What is a ricer?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous
      • 2 months ago
        Anonymous

its a state of mind, usually brought on by genetics

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Catalytic converters, especially the one nearest to the engine are about a 10% loss on most cars if you're also willing and able to tune the ECU. The muffler itself, yeah.

That being said stock sounds gay, put some money into a decent setup either legitimately designed for your car or custom made if you really want to dive in. Picrel is my muffler, header is for off-road use, and yes my Miata wakes up the neighborhood with the most obnoxious cold starts I've ever heard. I like shifting by sound, feel free to seethe.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>pays 3 grand for le epic invidia catback
    >adds 4hp

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

more noise = more gooder

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Loud exhausts are Black person tier. Same with aftermarket rims, just shiny things for idiots.

Keep the stock exhaust, remove cats.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What tier is wasted time and money to Fup your vehicle and needlessly pollute the environment? Global warming is not real so don’t be trying that shit againt me.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>newer golf passes by my beemer
    >floors it
    >shitty loud fart noises
    >*bang bang bang*
    >mfw

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
      • 2 months ago
        Anonymous

what a shithead

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

rude

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>4cyl
    >anything but a 3" single
    >efficient

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

good aftermarket exhausts tend to reduce weight. saving 35-40 lbs is not uncommon. with tarboed cars, the less airflow restriction you have, the faster it spools, and the better the car responds. then there's shit like the downpipe in modern BMWs, where high flow aftermarket dps get 20+hp/tq even without tuning, 50+ with, along with reducing turbo lag

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>pretty much as efficient as you can get
    Yes but also no. In a lot of modern cars the exhaust is designed in conjunction with all of the other aspiration components... intake piping, intake/exhaust manifolds, etc... to be as efficient as possible together as a system. That is why just chucking on a larger exhaust doesn't really do much on a modern vehicle, you would also need better flowing intake piping and manifolds.

Like how sticking a funnel on the end of a hose doesn't make the hose flow more water. If your exhaust flows more than your intake will allow it won't make any difference.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

it's the most efficient for a big company trying to make money and balance that with cool exhausts plus EPA requirements.

equal length headers
    equal length everything really
    no sharp edges that will interrupt air flow
    x-pipe
    harmonic tune
    catback

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

A 2 inch pipe can flow the volume required for 300HP. It's the headers which today many engines have integrated into the head, cats and crosspipe that are any limiter.

But remember tuning to maximize power lowers an engine's low range/normal driving rpm range power. +30hp up top can mean -10hp down low.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Cars still benefit from long tube headers and high flow cats/deleting the cats. Some long tubes, high flow cats, and a CAI got me like ~60 more HP on my moostang.
    The only real reason to get an cat-back or axle-back exhaust is purely for sound and/or aesthetics. At most you'll get maybe 5HP, realistically you won't gain or lose anything.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Lol, you didn't get but maybe 30, being generous. You can take a header and bash every tube in and see 1-2hp drop, exhaust flow and restrictions are not what people think they are.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I wouldn't even go as high as 30 (just because he's more than likely talking about a non-classic mustang- everything since fox body's have had factory headers to begin with).
        Buy a better exhaust is typically more power throughout the entire rpm range so it feels like more than it is.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

blued tips are rice as frick you fricking ricelet stancelets even if ^ this guy is a poser ricelet stancelet slowgaylet as well

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

unless they actually blow flames and that's why they're blue. kek fricking ricelet stancelets

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>schizobabble
    >doubleposting
    kek, good morning stance ricer

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

we got married in a fever
    hotter than a pepper sprout
    we been talkin' 'bout Jackson
    ever since the fire went out
    I'm goin' to Jackson
    I'm gonna mess around
    Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson
    Look out Jacksontown

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

when I breeze in to that city
    a people gonna stoop & bow
    all them women gonna make me
    teach 'em what they don't know how

I'm goin to Jackson
    you turn a loose a my coat
    'cause I'm goin' to Jackson
    goodbye, that's all she wrote

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

they'll laugh at you in Jackson
    and I'll be dancin' on a pony keg!
    they'll lead you 'round the town like a scalded hound
    with your tail tucked 'tween your legs

yeah, yeah, yeah, go to Jackson,
    you big talkin' man
    and I'mm be waitin' there in Jackson
    behind my Jaypan fan

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You have to see the exhaust as part of the air induction and flow system. As power gains are made what is happening is the ideal resonance and scavenging is being shifted higher and higher in the rpms. Anything that does give actual significant gains in the high power band is going to necessarily drop potential/ideal power the further down from that rpm range you are.

True high power exhaust is going to maximize the induction/scavenging perf for example during the 4500-6000 rpm range of a 6500 max rpm engine. It is also going to diminish the positive effects below that.
    Most dynos arent measured below 2500-3000 rpm well if at all so you wont see how the engine is behaving full range.
    For a race or fun car this is fine, but for your otherwise normal DD it can make your regular driving noticeably worse.

Max high power airflow systems if your modern engine can even get headers installed might get you +10% up top and will drop your cruise power more than that as a percent.
    It'e something to consider when your vehicle is set up to be at 2000rpm highway 70mph and now needs 40% pedal instead of 25% because the engine only makes 20hp at 25% instead of the 25 it needs.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *