is Mario too boring of a character to have modern cartoons and comics like Sonic?

is Mario too boring of a character to have modern cartoons and comics like Sonic?

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I wouldnt be surprised if the Mario Movie managed to get a television series spinoff or something

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Illumination don't do that stuff

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'd be surprised if that wasn't their original plan
      Make NCU with a few series
      Imagine a proper Mario and Luigi RPG series like with Superstar Saga?
      It can be wacky as hell while still not being canon and we can get the old cartoon voices back

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It is exactly the opposite. Thanks to him being a blank slate he can adapt to modern times in any new media he stars. Sonic on the other hand is stuck in the 2000's and that's why his franchise cant make a come back no matter how hard sega tries.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Being stuck in the 00s isn't a bad thing, that was when the internet was better.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>patriot act era was good, actually
        Zoomies, man

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Hey, we didn't know any better.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

As awful as it was it's still better than it is now.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Marginally, and the people who say "go back" often mean it literally, as in they want to be transported in a time machine back to X era. Which, if you got dropped off in 2004, you'd get maybe a decade of "good times" (not really) before you arrived at the modern day.
            As someone who was actually alive and lucid and politically aware back then, you'd be shocked just how little has changed. The biggest outward difference is the resurgence of the NAMBLA branch of leftism, which had gone into remission in the late 70s.
            If I assume you don't want to go back because you want to effect change on history, but just because you want the safest and easiest time to settle down with the wife and 2.5 kids and a white picket fence, I'd tell you as a guy in his 20s to go back to the late 1940s. But even then you'd have to live through the cultural revolution of the late 60s. Other than that, maybe the early 80s. In the postwar 'modern' era, 1947-1963 and 1982-1996 are about as good as it gets.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Zoomer calling people "zoomer" to fit in

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sonic used to be able to be more adaptable but Sonic Team got super anal about their brand image after The Pendering so now everything they touch has a bit of corporate homogeny.

The only way the movies are able to to do whatever is because they have more money than SEGA.

• 3 weeks ago
        Boco

Actually, Sega signed away pretty much all input when they drew up the contract.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>the movies are able to to do whatever
        They're /able/ to, but in practice they only do the dull tripe Sega requires Sonic adaptations to be now.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>but in practice they only do the dull tripe Sega requires Sonic adaptations to be now.

Do they?

They gave made Sonic an alien, gave him a tragic origin, a bird mom, an adoptive human family, some form of loneliness & anxiety, electric powers, gave him a history with Knuckles, and the ongoing secret behind the Olive Garden. Seems like they took a lot of liberties to me.

I think you're talking about Sonic Prime.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Doesn't Mario have a ton of mandates too?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Reading this thread is really bizarre because of dumb fricks like that anon who list reasons for one character without realizing it applies to both.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's pathetic just how many morons are cooming to Gens x Shadow just because it's focusing on lore from 20 years ago "canonizing" head canons from the fandom to please their cripiling autism. Shit sucks.

You get a good game despite how mandated it is (Mania) but all Sonicgays want is anything to do with gameplay what so ever. What happened? Why is Sonic the only IP where people cannot stand to just get a solid video game that could flip the industry on its head like the classic games were trying to do?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Sonic on the other hand is stuck in the 2000's and that's why his franchise cant make a come back no matter how hard sega tries
      Sonic in the movies is nowhere near what he's like in the games, modern or 2000s. What the frick are you talking about?

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I prefer a Wario cartoon

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I can't wait for Mario and Luigi Brothership.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no, you're just another hater.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, Nintendo's just way more risk averse and overprotective of their IPs. If you want a reason why, blame the live action mario movie.

The cartoon and the CGI movie had no problem giving him a distinct personality, and the latter at least made him somewhat likable and gave him a reasonable motive.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Tell me a piece of sonic media whose relevance didn't die after a week. I will help you with sonic boom, which mostly stayed relevant thanks to the memes.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Tell me a piece of sonic media whose relevance didn't die after a week. I will help you with sonic boom, which mostly stayed relevant thanks to the memes.

> Sonic Boom

> Sonic Boom

I never even played a Sonic game until recently and everyone of my age can hear this image
      Get back into your crib, child

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I fricking hate how in the original clip it sounds like someone edited the pingas in mid sentence. Its fricking weird.
        >Snoo PINGAS usual I see???

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

well that's why it became such a meme

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

By far the best version of Robotnik.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Well if this doesn't prove that OP is just a resented autistic sonic fan then I don't know what will

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mario is the straight man of his series. His job is not to be unique and interesting, it's to be compelling and relatable. He is meant to provide a sense of grounded normalcy to contrast the fantastical worlds and characters around him on his adventures.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Mario's appeal isn't in his personality but in the adventures he has and the other characters he's around.

These sum it up pretty well, especially since Mario appeals to kids. The clearest part of his personality is that he's always gung-ho about exploring & adventuring, making him a good character kids can self-insert as & relate to while he travels to colorful places.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>too boring
    He and his brother are a pair of goofball plumbers from Flatbush constantly playing pranks on each other and Bowser, getting into hijinks and surrounded by constant slapstick. They're timeless cartoon characters like the Looney Tunes, in a way Sonic could never dream to be with his unironic Poochie personality.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

what if mario take on me?

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, he's like Mickey Mouse.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

blue arms mario when?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

that's just the DIC design

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Him and Boom Sonic should trade places.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The more you look at his face the more uncanny it is. I really do not like how you can see his mouth even when it's closed, his moustache should cover it. The detailed hair textures despite the actual shape being stylised and cartoony is also very strange.
      Imagine if Disney made a 'perfect Mickey' and he had fur and skin textures on him. It'd look creepy

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

yeah, I always preferred alphadream's style with his mouth being invisible when closed

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

tfw alphadream is dead, only for nintendo to dance on their corpse via a remake

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The new game is made by the alphadream devs tho, they just moved to nintendo offices

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Huh, never thought of it that way. I'm glad there's a happy ending.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

yeah, I always preferred alphadream's style with his mouth being invisible when closed

This is why Paper Mario and Alphadream Mario are the only two cool iterations of him.

also precisely why every fan project in the 2000s involving mario used his alphadream sprite

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Well Paper Mario (at least from TTYD onwards) is based on his Super Mario World sprites, which is arguably his best 2D sprite look.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>best 2d sprite look
            you misspelled "super mario bros 2 sprites"

• 3 weeks ago
            Boco

You're kidding, right?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You have a point. Strangely, the same exact issue is on modern Sonic, something about them having lips looks disgusting. Without mouths they look more like harden warriors ready for action.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>heh heh
      >welcome anon
      >we are the council of crossed arms mario
      >i am called that mario there
      >this mario
      >that mario over there
      >that mario over here
      >this mario over here

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Kinda?
    The DiC cartoons made him a lot of gruffier than what he went on to become and those cartoons still sucked.
    The potential is with literally every other character.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The last thing the Mario franchise needs are ongoing comics aimed at autists. It's a series that has always aimed to stay in it's own lane. The movie they put out last year basically feels like a long cutscene skit instead of a proper story because even Nintendo knows the world they created is fit for videogaming but only fricking barely makes sense as the focus of an ongoing narrative, which is why all those Mario RPGs always have to latch on a bunch of other shit to make it work.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>DURRR BUT ARCHIE MARIO IS MULTIVERSAL +, WITH THE MEGA MUSHROOM HE'S ABLE TO CRUSH PLANETS WITH EASE AND-
      yeeeesh, no wonder Nintendo stopped making comics after the 90s.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>aimed at autists

Ask me how I know this comment was made in absolute bad faith.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Dude Mario doesn't make any sense, it can't have a narrative
      The Mushroom Kingdom is literally just Oz/Wonderland with Italians instead of little girls

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What’s there worthwhile writing about him? You basically have the basic plot. Bowser steals something/someone. Mario had a cartoon series with episodes that were good but mainly used the fact it was based on super Mario world and that it was set in prehistoric times + writers being creative. Mainly what I’m trying to say they have to either go off a single games material and go off that or get really good at making stories with this character that are actually interesting and worth reading about

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It is exactly the opposite. Thanks to him being a blank slate he can adapt to modern times in any new media he stars. Sonic on the other hand is stuck in the 2000's and that's why his franchise cant make a come back no matter how hard sega tries.

https://i.imgur.com/pP1b0KZ.jpeg

Mario is the straight man of his series. His job is not to be unique and interesting, it's to be compelling and relatable. He is meant to provide a sense of grounded normalcy to contrast the fantastical worlds and characters around him on his adventures.

The last thing the Mario franchise needs are ongoing comics aimed at autists. It's a series that has always aimed to stay in it's own lane. The movie they put out last year basically feels like a long cutscene skit instead of a proper story because even Nintendo knows the world they created is fit for videogaming but only fricking barely makes sense as the focus of an ongoing narrative, which is why all those Mario RPGs always have to latch on a bunch of other shit to make it work.

You're all moronic. No, I will not elaborate.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>but mainly used the fact it was based on super Mario world and that it was set in prehistoric times
      >What are the "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show" and "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3"?

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mario's appeal isn't in his personality but in the adventures he has and the other characters he's around.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

they have made comics of him already in the n64 magazine and manga here and there, i dont think mario fans are as hardcore as sonic fans cause with sonic you also get the furries

i think metroid, resident evil, and legend of zelda would make good comics material

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

There are already manga of the legend of Zelda. I remember reading a major as mask based manga in middleschool

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It will probably have a TV show or two. Wario would be so much better

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Imagine Mario shorts in the same style as the Paul Rudish Mickey series
    That's one way I could see it working

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonyrnous

For a Mario thread, this is pretty low on Peachposting. Do better, DA.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Let's fix that then~

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mario isn't as boring as people make him out to be

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you fuse the lore of all Mario RPGs, games and shit you could easily make a Archie Sonic level series with epic world building.
    The question is... would you really want that? Could you withstand the sheer autism, drama and nonsense? Nintendo sure wouldn't which is why they're so protective of their IP.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I like mario autism more than sonic autism so yeah

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>If you fuse the lore of all Mario RPGs, games and shit you could easily make a Archie Sonic level series with epic world building.
      >The question is... would you really want that? >Could you withstand the sheer autism, drama and nonsense? Nintendo sure wouldn't which is why they're so protective of their IP.
      It's called Super Mario Kun, it's been running since the 90s and does stories of practically every Mario game from mainline, karts, sports, and even the rpgs. They even do a troony joke with Vivian in it. It's Japan exclusive though.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous
      • 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

So far there are 54 volumes of the manga. Here's a list of all the games they've done stories of based on games: https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario-kun#Official_descriptions

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I guess but from what I saw of it, it doesn't take itself seriously at all so it's not really autism like Archie.
        Nintendo probably allows it because firstly it's japanese, and second it leans so much on comedy it's basically a parody.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>it doesn't take itself seriously at all so it's not really autism like Archie.
          Archie's writing is okay shounen/capeshit level at best. Idk why you guys held it in such high regards

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Muh Sally and Bunnie.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I didn't say it was good, I said it took itself seriously (except maybe the first issues before the autism began).

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I didn't say it was good, I said it took itself seriously (except maybe the first issues before the autism began).

So why the frick do you want series Mario in the first place? The one and only time the ever was "serious" was Strikers which is just a soccor/football game. You could argue those Rabbid games were "serious" too because they focused on the plot, but it's nothing as overly dramatic and edgy like Sonicslop is.

I get that Mickey once did "serious" media too, but where are they now? Dead. All dead. Because it's not sustainable. edgy stories ends, lighthearted media continues on forever.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Mario RPGs can get pretty serious though. You can have serious but it needs to have a definite end otherwise you get Archie Sonic.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Archie Sonic was just normal capebook writing.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Partners in Time always stood up in this regard for me since i never got to try Superstar Saga. Win or lose, an entire fricking race dies. But then again the shroobs were pricks.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

clearly they shoulda just offered up their shroob women to survive with crossbreeding lol may have diluted things a bit but woulda meant more long term survival

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Partners in Time is definitely the odd one out as its story is much darker than the other M&L games, by far. It's probably the darkest Mario game even (aside from maybe Super Paper Mario, but SPM was much more silly in tone most of the time and almost everything is restored at the end), having whole villages destroyed by the shroobs and even on-screen deaths of toads irc (or at least agonizing on the floor and you can't do shit about it), and of course having to cause the death of a whole civilization at the end. It had ridiculously high stakes.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>would you really want that? Could you withstand the sheer autism, drama and nonsense?
      Frick yeah I want capebook-style Mario, just like I want more capebook-style Sonic.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mariokun exist

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The RPG games prove mario's world is entertaining

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think an adaptation of the Mario & Luigi games would work the best, at least something similar to them.

26. 3 weeks ago
    Boco

Mario? Yes.

The rest of the cast? Not at all.

...Except Peach.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Shut the frick up Boco.

• 3 weeks ago
        Boco

Hmm. For which part? Cuz you know I'm right about Peach.

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

He eats-a the pizza.

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I want a beach episode with closeups of the girls feet

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because Nintendo doesn't want Mario ripped apart by the fandom like sonic fandom did.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No. Nintendo is just protective of their IP after getting screwed by Hollywood in the 80's and early 90's

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

He already had three cartoons.

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Nothing you said is true because the games stopped being "cool" to 90s kids for so long they were barely scraping pass 1 million copies.

The only reason Sonic hasn't died yet is entirely because of the autistic fanbase regurgitating old content over and over, diluting themselves that he's still "the coolest shit ever" and thus buying the games only in the hopes SEGA "get their shit together" and pander to them again. Anyone that never grew up on "90s coolness" or 2000s edginess has zero reason to like Sonic.

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sonic was always better, and Mario may as well be the face of video game subreddits at this point.

34. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>is Mario too boring of a character
    You probably think Mickey Mouse and Porky Pig are boring characters too, and while I could understand that if you're basically exposed to their most merchandisable/straight-man-to-a-wacky-woohoo-foil side, there's plenty media that can give you a lot of good characterisation to work with. If you still think they're boring precisely because their characterisation isn't wacky-woohoo coming-on-strong like Wario, Donald, Daffy etc then you have misplaced priorities

35. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because Mario has no personality other than being Italian while Sonic actually have a personality.

36. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mario barely gets character growth, in a verbal sense

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's all the Starman power-ups. Invincibility is bad for Mario's spiritual growth. Like Andrew Hussie told Caliborn.

37. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sonic is just as "bland" as Mario these days. They got rid of his attitude decades ago.

38. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Make MatPat theories canon, and voila, you have Rick and Morty tier kino.

39. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No, far from it. The reason is because no one argued his origin story.
    Dude from Brooklyn who goes into a warp pipe and now lives in the mushroom kingdom.

Sonic has been dealing with constant rewrites to his origin. That's why you see so many comics and cartoons of him.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's more that Sonic doesn't have an origin. He's just a guy who lives in this setting.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Same with Mario, and 90% of characters in fantastic settings

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>The reason is because no one argued his origin story
      The frick are you talking about? There's an entire game series where you try to watch over Mario when he's a baby while you play as Yoshi.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Mario has a least two origin stories though, initially from Brooklyn and finds his way to the Mushroom Kingdom somehow, then in Yoshi Island he's a Mushroom Kingdom native and that's been the canon since then (except in the Illumination movie).

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He still could've been brought to Brooklyn at the end of Yoshi's Island

40. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sonic cartoons and comics are fricking terrible
    so i'm willing to bet a similar level of failure could be achieved with mario

41. 3 weeks ago
    AccelΔX

Valiant Mario worked because it started and ended as a video game comedy comic.
    Archie Sonic also started out with comedy but veered into the wrong end of Cerebus Syndrome,

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>veered into the wrong end of Cerebus Syndrome

Archie Sonic was just normal capebook writing.

42. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think it comes down to Nintendo themselves being overprotective of Mario. I read somewhere that Archie Comics wanted to make a Mario comic series but Nintendo rejected it.

43. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No. The various RPG games show that Mario and his world have a lot of fun potential for cartoony adventures. He is just extremely protected by Nintendo so we are never getting insane shit like Sonic has gotten over the years for better or worse.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *