Is the duramax diesel any good?

The only way i would rver buy a tahoe or suburban would be if it had a diesel engine. Isbthe duramax any good? How does it compare to the international engine in early 2000s ford pickups or the cummins diesels in dodge pickups?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There are many duramax variations, and each one has it's pros and cons. Some make more power and have a tendency to overheat.
    They are more complicated for their time, but basic compared to modern shit.
    IMO it goes
    cummins>>>>> ford powerstroke=duramax.
    Mostly because the duramax comes with the allison, which is pretty awesome.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>cummins
      Soon one day…

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Old Allisons were good transmissions. The new ones may as well be made of fricking glass. Post 2015, the Ram's Aisin HD Transmission is the only one worth a shit and it's still got fricking problems. I'd trust a goddamn 47RH any day of the week over an Allison backed Duramax, though.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The early durasharts are great but they have injector issues and old duramxes require tear downs to replace injectors. It’s a 8 hour job in dealer shops and a weekend for driveway mechanics. Sucks but shouldn’t be too frequent a problem. But the injectors leak fuel into the crankcase and slowly kill the engine when they go bad. Newer duramaxes have no advantages over 6.7 powerstokes and the 6.7 Cummins is always the best engine available by far.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I put an old 5.9 Cummins and 6 spd manual in my gmt400 Tahoe. It Swaps over as easy as replacing the 350. I put 3500 brakes and shocks on it too.

• 1 month ago
      [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

Gigachad
      12v the only diesel worth owning unless you like spending money and working on them constantly
      Anything with wiring or high pressure oil systems is pure cancer

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>I swapped my 1 piston calipers for 1 piston calipers on a disk 1/2" bigger

Until someone figures out how to swap the gmt800 spindles im laughing at everyone who does this thinking they accomplished something

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Tahoes and Suburbans are not tow vehicles for that torque. The small diesel will perform better than gas due to the gear hunting nature of 8-10 speed gearboxes and the cylinder deactivation that only makes that worse.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It is the weakest of the big 3’s diesel lineups with a lot of changes over the years and still doesn’t match Cummins or powerstrokes.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

anons I think he's talking about the new 3 liter duracuck aluminum penalty engine for Karens who want a diesel for their soccer mom vehicle for some reason
    >you get the Allison
    8.1 2500HD and 3500HDs got the A1000, those 20+ year old trucks will outlast every LZ0 for far far less money and you can still get overdrive units for them afaik

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>diesel
    eurocuck thread, hidden

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

t. EVtard projection

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Diesel is great.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Not in America it isn't. Real diesels in real trucks make sense. A small diesel in a 7000lb truck doesn't. They get marginally better mpg's over the gas engine which will take you forever to get a ROI in the $8k+ that the diesel option will cost you. Don't forget the high cost of the diesel fuel it's self. Now that's IF anything doesn't fail. You better pray nothing injection or emission related fails out of warranty on that modern diesel.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Don't forget the high cost of the diesel fuel it's self.

This is the advantage of old fashioned IDI shit. I can filter used motor oil, atf, hydraulic fluid or fryer waste oil and run it in my ching Chong generator. I wouldn't run that through a classic truck unless mad max type conditions tho.

• 1 month ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>This is the advantage of old fashioned IDI shit.
            direct injected 12v cummins or direct injected VW diesels run fine on used motor oil, I dump used oil into my shit all the time and it doesn't change how it runs at all
            it's pretty common to run black diesel in a VW or 12v, they use Bosch VE and P pumps which don't mind it at all

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

IDI is 30s tech level, direct injection diesels became common in the mid 60s.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Gasoline moron

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Who ever drive passenger cars run on diesel?

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The LB7 is the only Duramax engine one could consider "good", but it's a subpar engine compared to the 7.3L Powerstroke and the 5.9L Commonrail Cummins. They make ass power and are far more expensive to maintain and modify on top of having absolutely mongolid moron-tier design features.

Literally any and all post-LB7 Duramax engines are dogshit and worthless compared to both previous mentioned engines and the newer 6.7L offerings from Ford and Ram. They're anaemic until extremely heavily modified and have the reliability of a fart when you're experiencing dysentary. They're massively overpriced engines for what you get on top of reliability, durability, and power considerations.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Everyone I know with a 3.0 Duramax loves the truck, but also has had issues with the DEF system. I don't have much use for a half ton, I've got a Colorado as a DD and for the boat and other regular trugg stuff and a older 1 ton (2003 with the 8.1 and Allison) for pulling the gooseneck, but I'd really love to swap a deleted LM2 into an old B Body or something.

The 12v Cummins and Navistar 7.3 are legendary motors for a reason, but for most purposes, I'd prefer an LLY or LB7 if you want a high powered diesel (300+ hp). I'd take an LMM or LML over a 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke. The 6.7s from Ford and Cummins are both good motors too, but every SCR diesel has some fricking moronic shit it fricks up, and the launch of the 6.7 Cummins in 2007 shows that it's even possible to frick up a DPF only truck too, and the aftermarket generally has solved most of the issues for every engine OEM, so you should buy the truck that the diesel comes in first, the motors aren't vastly different in reliability or cost of ownership.

Some nig's gonna say that his turnt up 5.9 makes 800 horsepower and is dead stone reliable, but he's fooling himself.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I just bought a 2006 f250 6.0l powerstroke, under 100k miles. What am I in for? I plan on preemptively bulletproofing the oil cooler.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

bills

Who ever drive passenger cars run on diesel?

euros

• 1 month ago
      [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>What am I in for?
      Probably hell judging from what I’ve seen
      Hell and lots of money and down time
      I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>What am I in for
      A world of hurt when the cab needs to be lifted off for literally any job

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Better put some ARP studs and a high torque starter on that motherfricker now before you find yourself out 10k.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

i wish the lz0 was in a dieselcar ngl

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

So what's the preferred diesel nutruck these days?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Either ford or RAM

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *