Is the USA the only country with a major "live in your car" culture?

Is the USA the only country with a major "live in your car" culture?

I think this whole class of people is basically nonexistent in other countries. The homeless who sleep in their cars, van life girls on TikTok, old guys who live in RVs, etc

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's not even allowed here.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Same here. It's illegal to be free

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'd say it's popular here too but it's more of a travelling/ tourism thing
    Whenever I go to one of the beaches here the carpark is full of guys spreading themselves out from their vans

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think there are only a few truly empty countries in the world that allow for this lifestyle. Most countries are too crowded or the weather is too shit for it to be safe.

USA, AUS, NZ, Namibia, South Africa, Japan. That might be it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

"empty countries" is a bit of a moronic reading of the world, it's just more popular here because tourism revolves around beaches and nature and a van provides transport and accomodation. Unless you want to stay in tourist hotspots you absolutely need a car to travel across Australia whereas you go to Europe for its urban culture and it's easy to get around. It's also not as nice (and harder to stay unnoticed) to sleep in a van in the city.
        Also lol at Japan being an "empty" country

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Plenty of empty road to live on your car in Japan. I've heard of many people doing this

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm more taking issue with the idea that empty roads don't exist in every other country barring some meme state like the Vatican city

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Idk what to tell you van life is feasible in Japan and isn't in Indonesia or India or SK. It's one of the countries that has a culture for it objectively

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>and isn't in Indonesia or India or SK
            literally why do you think this
            It's not culture, Indonesians and Indians with money to buy a van will be able to afford renting a slum somewhere, assuming they aren't already living rent free at home

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

wait let me explain
            it's not the poor who are doing van life in Japan. I don't think poor people sleep in their cars there

It's rich people who want to see the countryside. That specific thing doesn't happen on those other countries I mentioned

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Pretty sure UK has a campervan/caravan culture.
            And if UK/Australia/NZ have one Ireland probably does too

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wonder if it's a thing in Spain and Portugal too.
            Also latinx America given how many of them come here to do it

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Its a huge thing in germany/the netherlands. They go to luxembourg, austria and belgium to camp.

I'd say it's popular here too but it's more of a travelling/ tourism thing
            Whenever I go to one of the beaches here the carpark is full of guys spreading themselves out from their vans

lots of poor people live in their cars in auckland
            mostly immigrants from the pacific islands

Which car models are the best/cheapest to do that. Realistically speaking.
            Like the ones islanders use

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Its a huge thing in germany/the netherlands. They go to luxembourg, austria and belgium to camp.
            Yeah but that is for recreation. Not for living. And you cannot just stop and sleep on the road. Let alone living.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No but a lot of dutch people go for dome times in those olaces and live on campings or stops, in their vans

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It might be a little bit too cold and windy in Ireland for van life to be enjoyable.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's probably not enjoyable but it's definitely a thing, I've known people to do it in Scotland too.
            Brittanic people exist to suffer so it doesn't matter to them if they're doing it at home or in a van.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah fair, I think you're right that rich people in those countries culturally don't see value in van travel, they're more new rich who prefer to spend money on appearance-based stuff
            I was more taking issue that people in say Europe aren't doing it because they aren't "empty"

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wonder if it's a thing in Spain and Portugal too.
            Also latinx America given how many of them come here to do it

Can you post the nomadic tribes thread please

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>That might be it.
        Van life is thing in EU, people spend summers in north and winters in south europe.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lots of poor people live in their cars in auckland
    mostly immigrants from the pacific islands

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've been seeing more of these van life people. The van always has a certain look with tinted windows.
      It's really not doable for the vast majority of people. If you live out of a normal car, you're just seen as a bum

Even if they are bums it's still a segment of society that does not exist in many other poorer countries

It's just like how you never run into schizophrenic homeless people outside the west

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>you never run into schizophrenic homeless people outside the west
        Are there really not mentally ill homeless people in other countries? I don't see why that would be a cultural thing
        Mentally ill people tend to be homeless everywhere

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I think we have homeless people who live in their cars for the same reason we have mentally ill homeless people on the streets. Life in western countries is prohibitively expensive for medium to low functioning people.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Even if they are bums it's still a segment of society that does not exist in many other poorer countries
        Mostly because vans are expensive
        >It's just like how you never run into schizophrenic homeless people outside the west
        lmao what? this is not true at all

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

My perception of the vanlife people arent that they're bums but rather more like rich tech people larping as bums
          People living out of regular cars are bums

There's a wide variety of car dwellers ok

Some homeless guys sleep in their Camry
          Some tech guys buy $100,000 sprinters and put granite countertops inside

Some richgays buy expedition vehicles for $600,000 to live in

It's not a group that can be generalized any more than "home dwellers" can be

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I didn't say all call dwellers but was specifically talking about "vanlife" people.
            I have lived out of my car before and it's shit.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My perception of the vanlife people arent that they're bums but rather more like rich tech people larping as bums
        People living out of regular cars are bums

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

America isn't the west. You are the only one who doesn't have mental health treatment and just leaves the mentally ill in the streets.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They bully the mentally ill. Like Daniel Larson and Chris Chan, America is a pvp country.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I should've said anglosphere then.

Canada, UK, Australia all have mentally I'll schizophrenic freaks on the streets too.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You'll be welcome to try once the floodgates open and all the african schizoids end up on your shores

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>and just leaves the mentally ill in the streets
          nah we definitely do this lol
          and so does a lot of Europe

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

For treatment, you'll have to be willing to take it and to give up drugs. There's a lot of people who won't satisfy these simple two preconditions.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>For treatment, you'll have to be willing to take it and to give up drugs.
            Yeah and otherwise you're left in the streets

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yes, because (one) you can't treat those who are not willing and (two) therapy places are expensive and scarce. It makes absolutely no sense to collect those druggies off the streets who are not even willing to work on themselves.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What they do here is if they commit a crime and refuse treatment, they are going straight to prison and go cold turkey.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

OK? They're still on the streets

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've been seeing more of these van life people. The van always has a certain look with tinted windows.
    It's really not doable for the vast majority of people. If you live out of a normal car, you're just seen as a bum

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Can't suffer in the United States

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

only the filthy rich can afford something like this. your average american does not own or live in an RV.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I want to live in that with my dog. Americans truly cannot suffer.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I would love to live in that bus. I wonder how much the conversion cost and how much is maintenance.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the hobos are directly a result of the housing crisis. the vanlife shit is a result of urban & suburban late stage capitalism gridlock.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>americans have to drive so much they live inside their car
    Grim

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

First of all, it's not allowed. To sleep in your car you'd have to move to a camping site and pay rent fees for a spot there.
    Second, we have shelters for the homeless. But you have to stay clean for that, so the druggies that don't want to sleep out in the inner city streets. Where you can't park a car unless you pay 1-2 Euros per hour, or else your car gets towed. But druggies don't even have cars, be it because they sold them to get money for drugs or they had to sell them because they lost their driving licence.

So for all of these reasons, "living in your car" isn't really a feasible option.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>To sleep in your car you'd have to move to a camping site and pay rent fees for a spot there.
      Sounds awful, here you can camp for free at any land owned by the Bureau of Land Management, which owns vast swaths of nature out west

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>It sounds awful that you can’t loiter around and have to be a productive human being
        yeah, I know, horrible police state

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>>It sounds awful that you can’t loiter around and have to be a productive human being
          Are Germans even human?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Are Americans even white?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's "free" but you have to pay a ridiculous amount in gas to get there in the first place and the roads suck so your car needs to be able to take a beating

Overall it's not cheap to car camp on BLM land

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

frick blm (bureau of land management)

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

anon can you please post a nomadic tribes thread? I'm at my 5 thread limit

https://desuarchive.org/_/search/boards/int.desu.meta/text/Nomadic%20tribes/type/op/

Use the picture and OP text from that first thread

we need to see more nomadic tribes on blm land.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>you have to pay a ridiculous amount in gas to get there in the first place
          Not really. BLM land is like a 10-20 minute drive from my city
          You'd still be paying way less than renting

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It's not "allowed" here either

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

We don't have big parking lots and carjacking is too common. You have to be extremely stealthy to live in a car and btw it's not that legal.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is this a West Coast thing? You would get jacked for doing this here out East.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

theres plenty of poor people here who live in their vehicles like trikes, jeepneys or boats

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never heard of it. Some people live in their caravans during summer vacation but that is of course not comparable at all.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Kind of insane that you have to pay to exist. Like not even buying food, but physically taking up space.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Or you can move to a blue state like California and enrich cities like Oakland or San Francisco with your homelessness.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *