is there any way to justify a $60,000 "toy"?

is there any way to justify a $60,000 "toy"?

i want to buy a new supra, i'm in my mid 30s with no real responsibilities, but i keep getting cold feet over the price tag. is there any way to justify to myself that it's a worthwhile purchase over say a new ND3 miata or ~10 year old cayman for roughly half as much which is something i'll feel more comfortable with?

is this just going to be a massive pool of regret if i drop that kind of money on a car that i'm only going to drive maybe twice a week to work, etc.?

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

if you don't feel comfortable then don't do it
    don't strain your finances when you could get a half as cheap car now, then build wealth using the savings and buy something nicer later too

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i don't know when i'll feel comfortable with it though, is there any point in my life that i'll be able to think that this is a justifiable expense? i can't see myself thinking dropping $60k in cash at any point is a smart choice, even with a several million dollar net worth, etc.

anon, if you feel like you got to ask, you can't afford it.

my advice, get a used miata. and not even necessarily the ND.
      i mean, it ain't like you can drive much faster than it can on public roads anyway.
      or, if all you want is a fast 0-60 to win stoplight drag races, get a used model 3 perf.

if you go with a miata, learn to do basic wrenching yourself, that will save you a lot of money in the long run. and given how popular miatas are, it will be very easy to find guides/tutorials/forums/service manuals/youtube vids/etc, to help you.

i owned a NA miata for nearly a decade, it was a classic red with a hardtop i paid $2500 for in 2008. i want something newer for a toy at this point.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>i want something newer for a toy at this point.
        get a newer miata then.

you could step up to a cayman or something, but it will massively increase maintenance costs. emphasis on the "massively". especially since, aside from parts being much more expensive, you can't really work on it yourself without dropping the engine.
        or, an intermediate step could be an m3, like an e46 or e90. at least that you can work on yourself, and parts aren't completely moronicly expensive.

but in both of those cases, if you aren't taking it to the track, you won't really be getting anything more out of it than you would a miata.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i might go with a newer miata, but the one car that is calling me is just a lot of money and even though i can definitely swing it, it's just like a silly purchase when i probably should just keep it invested instead

>mean, it ain't like you can drive much faster than it can on public roads anyway.
          lmao i hate homosexuals like you. go to r9k or something

there's no denying it, there's a big difference between the two. i want a fast car, but i'm also only 34 so i feel like i'll have my time in my 40s when i get a bigger amount in my 401k, roth, etc. versus buying something now and possibly jeopardizing that too.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ok dude. im 32 and spent almost every penny i had buying a c8 cash, then followed it up with a crazy vacation that left me with 2k in the bank. i dont regret it EVER. not once. hell i already made half the cash back anyway. just yesterday i caught up with 2 gt3rs that were swimming on the highway with headsets on. fun as frick swimming with them and one of them even got left behind. cant do that with a homosexual miata (god bless favgy miatas though). may as well consign yourself to being a fricking pussy fof the rest of your life. enjoy ur roth ira or whatever though lo.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

this is Auto, not Fantasy land lol

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ur gonna be old as shit and unable to enjoy your supra because youll be even more of an old pussy than you are now

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How you gotted a C8 for 50 gays?

Best I heard was MacMulkin doing 10% off MSRP (May 2024 orders only).

And did you spec the base with the high-wing, or was that a model they already had in-stock?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

that was just the first payment. i sent the rest the next day when my payment limit reset.

I would have looked at C8s if I could have gotten a 7speed. I know it's not as fast but there's just something special to me about banging gears. I feel more connected to the car.

get whats fun to you. this seemed like a good compromise between price, performance, comfort, and maintenence costs for me.

https://i.imgur.com/ZFTgjyq.png

>32 years old
            >uses the term "swimming"
            have a nice day as swiftly as possible to save us all from having to endure your enormously moronic teenager brained lingo and attitude.

Years ago, I decided to start acting dumber because my brain was holding my life back.

Yeah the new Corvette is absolutely gross.
            It’s like a Chink copy of a Ferrari.

the new ferrari 12Cilindri is just a corvette anyway

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>32 years old
            >uses the term "swimming"
            have a nice day as swiftly as possible to save us all from having to endure your enormously moronic teenager brained lingo and attitude.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This isn't an DA problem, this is a YOU problem. If it's causing you that much agony, that Supra belongs with someone else who's going to enjoy the frick out of it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You can still be financially stable but feel uncomfortable.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

But I want an oompaloompa now!

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

> build wealth with the paltry ~$30k premium he’d pay by buying a fun car

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

if I received a .6USD per share distribution each month from ymax, and the share price hovers around $20/share, that's $900 additional pretax income every month

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

So just enough to be able to afford to finance the same exact Supra

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yeah exactly just enough to be able to split the 60k into a lump purchase of a miata or corvette and go fast bits, plus finance the supra and get it out of his system

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I recently got rid of a couple of expensive toys and bought a dedicated track car. I’ve found that I didn’t like doing things with other people, and I just enjoyed the driving. So I now just head out to track days with a buddy who helps look at data and work on getting faster. Now I’m watching YouTube videos of driving technique and I’m loving owning a toy that would otherwise just sit there relatively unused.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Hotwing

>$1000 motorcycle is more fun than everything you’ve listed

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In your situation I'd spend half as much to get a gr86 but I'm married with a kid so I got a WRX instead.

I'm planning to put a hitch on my wrx and get the 250cc cheapo honda dirtbike. I miss my motorcycle but I'm never riding one on the street again.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

anon, if you feel like you got to ask, you can't afford it.

my advice, get a used miata. and not even necessarily the ND.
    i mean, it ain't like you can drive much faster than it can on public roads anyway.
    or, if all you want is a fast 0-60 to win stoplight drag races, get a used model 3 perf.

if you go with a miata, learn to do basic wrenching yourself, that will save you a lot of money in the long run. and given how popular miatas are, it will be very easy to find guides/tutorials/forums/service manuals/youtube vids/etc, to help you.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>mean, it ain't like you can drive much faster than it can on public roads anyway.
      lmao i hate homosexuals like you. go to r9k or something

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

T. predditor

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>it ain't like you can drive much faster than it can on public roads anyway
      Spoken like a true Miatagay. I went 130 yesterday on the highway.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

im buying a supra too, try to get the 3.0L 2020 model. got to test drive one it was fast as frick.

all cars are a depreciating asset. but at the end of the day $60k isnt that much. i know dudes that dropped $100k on an F350.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>all cars are a depreciating asset.

Do you have down syndrome?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

With extremely few exceptions he's correct because inflation. Cars don't stay new forever so if you drive them that's wear. Just buy whatever you like after you've paid off your land, home and shop AND have serious retirement investments.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I picked up a 30k motorcycle from BMW because my credit started to drop like a rock after I paid my car off.

At 0% interest and the fact they hold 80% value, after a year it left me at 771 credit score for having a toy and now I'm getting a house.

There's a few reasons to get toys apparently.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>bragging about maintaining constant debt so that your good goy score doesn't drop

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Only thing holding me back from getting a motorcycle at this point is wanting to keep my life and my ability to walk

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Those are overrated. Lost limbs are just weight reduction.
        t. work with a double amputee that has
        >carbotanium
        legs.
        The man wasn't a runner before his accident, but has since become on because he now has an unfair advantage.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the only justification for toys is that they're fun. if you are of the opinion that that car is a toy, then you'll only lose out if it's not fun enough

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

buy the supra or ur a pussy

>omg this is sufh a stretch purpose
    enjoy never living

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Could you take it to a track, put it into a wall then proceed to laugh it off? If not you can't afford it.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>i want to buy a new supra

there are sooooo many better cars for 60k

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

name 2

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Also I've seen this thread before.
    You're still contemplating about the supra for months.
    I bet you didn't even test drive it yet kek.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No man think about how well off you'll be when you're 59.5 years old and can withdraw from your IRA and 401k if you invest in it now

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

For real! If he invests, he can buy that exact Supra at 63 but a little bit more comfortably!

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>i'm in my mid 30s with no real responsibilities
    God this is sad. Running around in a coupe is something you do in your 20's. You should look forward to a sports sedan to drive your wife and kids around instead.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I’m the same age range as you and I picked up an extra car that cost a bit more than that.

I would say it really depends on you financial situation. Paying that much for a car isn’t really going to get you that much happiness unless it’s something you really wanted for a long time.

Do you own your own house / condo?

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>dark hair
    >dyed bright color
    didn't read the thread, some sort of pathetic manchild coping that belongs in a r*ddit "adulting" cringe compilation

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The Mk5 is basically only "Worth it" as a compromise to yourself because you wanted a Mk4 as a kid but don't want to pay that much to inherit someone else's problems by buying a Mk4 today.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>35
    >cant make decisions
    >asks teens on DA

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

homosexual why buy new? And you can find 3.0s for I thin 40k now do that
    1-Miata’s are for tiny gays and 2 caymans are for poor losers exception being gt4 and spyder

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get a Chally R/T. Half the price and you can justify holding onto your toy well onto having a second child with how much space it has.

By the time you start worrying about needing more space, Zupras will probably have depreciated to $30k, which you will have more than enough money to afford if you invested the half of that $60k you didn’t torch.

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you are not supposed to be a miserly frick in your youth and finally enjoy a nice car in your 50s. in your 50s you should be a sexual tourist in Bali or the Phillipines, not coping with a meme dream car.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

this russian woman was sexually abused for cheese pizza wasn't she

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends on your income.
    I had enough spare cash to waste it on a car while still having a house and saving for retirement.

Love my car and makes me feel happy every time I see it in the parking lot.

And I don't really pick up chicks with it, but I've noticed people just assume I'm rich because of it. Which is kinda funny because I'm not.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

dont ever post my wife without my permission

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

she seems relatively well adjusted considering... y'know.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I wish I'd found a career I loved as young as she did. I'd be a lot better off than I am now.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

she's a college graduate with a masters degree unlike you.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I have a masters degree but luckily it wasn't self-funded.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>with a masters degree
          What did she master in?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

my dick

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/QSVBlpN.jpeg

she's a college graduate with a masters degree unlike you.

How's your sister in law doing, anon?

24. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Personally, I'm right there with you. I can't bring myself to purchase anything expensive for fear of regret. That's why I bought a 90s turbo volvo

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>all of these non-auto posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B58
    This is the engine the new Supra uses, OP.
    You can easily get another car which has a B58 for less than a Supra.
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBAJE5C55KWA98727
    >$20k
    >clean carfax

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>is there any way to justify a $60,000 "toy"?
    I'm 30ish right now. I cannot think about buying a new car for about 10 years. Because I bought a house. That shit is expensive. Maintenance and payments means I can't afford a new car for a while.
    BUTTTTTT....
    Inflation with make my house payment cheaper over time. Talk to someone who bought a house 10 years ago today. They are paying less than what it cost to rent an apartment. I want to be that mother fricker.

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Early 2000s Corvette, $10k and bobs your aunty

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There’s nothing wrong with buying an expensive toy. The problem with cars being that toy is that you can’t really use them. If you buy a fast car, you only rarely get to really see it perform in the road and chances are the experience is relatively uncomfortable compared to something made not strictly for performance.

So I say go for it if it’s what you really want but keep in mind the only time you’ll get to really see what it can do is on the track.

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Always invest 5x what you want to spend on a car.
    So if you want to spend $60k, you should have $300,000 in investments.
    I only spent $50k on a used car when I had $250k saved up, since I wanted to buy a house too.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get a cheaper daily and buy a motorcycle instead. You’ll spend less, have more fun, and get over being such a pussy.

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

go to your local track, speed at the highway, frick around and find out
    if you won't explore the limits of your car then don't get one with higher limits

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I wonder what her butthole looks like.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You do not need to wonder. But the evidence might be very outdated.

33. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>in my mid 30s
    >with no real responsibilities
    ngmi.

34. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Having fun is good for your mental health, if you feel like 60k is too much get something cheaper like a Cayman or a Boxster, now that they're discontinued you could maybe get a good deal in one

35. 2 weeks ago
    SCBro

Life’s short, buy the car.

36. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>is there any way to justify a $60,000 "toy"?
    being rich

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *