Is there such a thing as a "good" CVT?

Is there such a thing as a "good" CVT?

>pic related Toyota has a CVT with a physical first gear that in theory makes it more reliable, but I still have my doubts.

CRIME Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They are still kinda shit for driving feel but what kind of people buy these cars they dont care

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>what kind of people buy these cars they dont care
      most of the time they're fricking dumb. engineers had to program in fake shift points in cvts because people b***hed about it operating exactly as designed

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The one in my Prius was indestructible

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

What year?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

2006, drove 200.000km+ with it. Changed the CVT oil once at 290.000

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Prius
      Isn't that a hybrid pretty much everywhere? The Prius hybrid's "e-CVT" is quite different from a typical belt box.
      The current version of that is mostly just a bunch of big fixed gears, but it can sort of adjust the ratio by using the electric motors to let the planetary gear assembly spin at different speeds, or something like that. That's why it mostly behaves like a CVT, including sounding like an angry outboard motor when floored.
      The relatively low max speed in many Toyota hybrids may have something to do with that gear assembly reaching its limits.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

e-CVTs are the most indestructible transmission design ever, they have basically no wear items. No clutches, no bands, no synchros, no belts, no torque converter. Just a few gears, a couple motor-generators, and a few quarts of ATF for cooling and lubrication. The transmission is driven by fricking magnets. It doesn't even need to be a hybrid to work, just for things like electric-only operation and regenerative braking. You could replace the battery with a frickhueg externally-mounted brake resistor and still get electric braking.

I want to see these things in bigger, faster cars. It would be legendary.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>I want to see these things in bigger, faster cars.
          Take a look at the older Lexus LS

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>"HSD" e-CVT backed by a 4-speed planetary-gear automatic "final drive"
            WEEEEEIIIRDD.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Because it's not a "traditional" CVT, there's no belts or pulleys inside and there's no slip involved. Instead there's a planetary gearset that takes inputs from the electric motors and the combustion engine, and varying the speeds of all these lets you reach any output RPM between 0 and its maximum.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

prius's "cvt" is essentially a backwards differential with petrol and electric motors on respective inputs and wheels on the output.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Nope, it's two differentials not one and one of the motors operates as output normally.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

There's a fleet of Prius taxis in my town and one of them has 1.6 million kms on odometer. crazy shit

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's good that it's efficient and reliable until it asplodes.
    Bad that the engine just goes
    brrrr(full throttle) BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It couldn't be said more eloquently by Aesop Rock.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

CVT with fake programmed "gears" = explode (NISSAN!)
    CVT that is just a CVT = good
    CVTs still aren't good for more power than an eco commuter, though.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>CVT with fake programmed "gears" = explode (NISSAN!)
      Toyotas do this too. I had a rental corolla on vacation, it faked shifts.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Mine doesn't fake any gear changes. Guess they got rid of that with the new one. I also see youtubers continuously b***h about "droning sounds" and mine doesn't do that either, aside from the brief moments of WOT when the troony is utilizing that physical first gear.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Dunno about yours. That dash looks different than the one I rented which I'm guessing was a 2022. It definitely faked shifts, especially at WOT.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A normal CVT should have three modes of operation: Engine spinning up til the CVT "catches", ideal RPM for torque, and ideal RPM for power.
            So a CVT "can shift" between two set RPMs, and below a certain speed the engine is gaining rpm, and above a certain speed the engine is gaining RPM as the CVT is running out of ratio.

Anything else is fake shifts like that Nissan Rogue rental I drove last week.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

My Toyota CVT shit the bed around 60k miles. Serious rattling going on in there. I'm gonna sell it to some idiot who still thinks these pieces of shit are reliable and never buy a CVT car again. They're being put in for planned obsolescence. They don't actually save much fuel.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Is there such a thing as a "good" CVT?

there are different types of cvt. one type is good for longevity, but they both suck for driving pleasure.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

yes

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If they allowed CVTs in F1 and prototype racing leagues they would be in every sports car today instead of DSGs
    But they were banned decades ago so they never been made to racing specs and only for soccer mom spec.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mirai at home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmZ1WCHZkkU

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>amateur build
      >hydrogen
      The only people mad enough to try this is isis, but not for long term use

10. 1 month ago
    Greased Geese

cvt really only is functionally adiquate on lightweight stuff like side by sides or golf carts.
    unfortunately both of those things are for homosexuals.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Name gay has a point, farmtruck forever

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Snowmobiles are badass, just don't Ken Block yourself on one.

• 1 month ago
        Greased Geese

I don't think I can appreciate them being in the south east coast,
        for me it's fast 2wd quads.
        unfortunately the market for atvs are either neck deep in sxs or heavy 4wd quads these days.
        I kindof quit thinking about them when I saw my neighbor get slung off a banshee years ago but I really wish I had one.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I had that transmission in a Corolla Hatch. First and last CVT I will ever own. Absolute dogshit to drive. My mom's Tempo was more fun to drive than that thing.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Bro you bought an autotragic corolla, what did you expect, a zippy weekend warrior?
      All toyota automatics are shit, period.
      You could have bought a 6MT L, S or SE rolla but nooooo you're too much of a moronic b***h to daily a manual and let mr toyoda gape your ass with a auto troony.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yes.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Wrong answer

https://i.imgur.com/Fzlw7md.jpeg

yes

Correct answer although I'm not too sure on early models

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Wrong answer
        How is that wrong?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Because it can't handle 220hp, 638lb/ft all day.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What the frick are you talking about?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/ag8Q9Lp.jpeg

what if we replace the electric motor and generator with a pump and hydraulic motor?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Either take meds or explain yourself.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he doesn't know

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he can't form coherent sentences to explain his point

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he can't follow a reply chain
            agco cvt

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>still can't form a sentence
            >needs a chain of posts just to name some some tractor transmission
            I guess it would take half of the bump limit to get an answer to the "why" question from you.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Cranky gear with kino appeal

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Subaru CVTs seem pretty legit as long as you perform reasonable maintenance and treat them nicely. They don't have the fake gear shit unless you rev above 2500, and you can get around the fake gears by using cruise control which takes it up to 3000. Outbacks aren't fast but they don't need to be.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

any opinion on their 2.5l they put in the crosstrek?

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The "CVT" in Toyota hybrids really isn't a CVT. It's basically just a sun gear and two electric motor/generators. It's pretty much bombproof due to its mechanical simplicity.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what if we replace the electric motor and generator with a pump and hydraulic motor?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

More energy losses.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Also narrower RPM range for the variable part. Electric motors operate at up to tens or hundreds thousand typically.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Both would have to be geared correctly anyway

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You don't get it, it's the range you can vary the ratio in. For purely hydraulic transmission it's way narrower because you're limited by the fluid itself, it can only move so fast without overheating, cavitating or simply blowing the seals. Narrower range of operation means you have to make several stages instead of just one to achieve the same result.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I guess that's why it's limited to tractors

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a Prius with their eCVT and it has a major knock, probably going to shit the bed soon and need replacing. Yes fluid change was always done on time, I'm only at 84k miles.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My dads 2010 Nissan dualis has 230,000kms still going strong CVT hasn't shit itself yet. He drives like an old man so that CVT is probably fine for another 100,000km I think if you got a heavy foot don't buy a car with a CVT.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Isnt part of the issue with CVTs lugging them from a stop?

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The CFT30 in my Five Hundred has 165k and hasn't had any problems with 60k fluid changes. No hunting for gears, no funky upshift/downshift. All the RPMs you need when you need them.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *