It doesn't even have a dipstick

Will someone please explain the reasoning behind ditching the dipstick and replacing it with an electronic sensor in a piston engine?

Is Stellantis trying to drive away customers at this point?

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Beware Cat Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It allows for a tighter seal and lowers emissions. It’s super nice to live with too, that’s why nobody gives a shit when you make a gay post b***hing about dip sticks

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>It allows for a tighter seal and lowers emissions

The sensors are more accurate, it's a technology that came from racing to consumer cars.
      >b-but it's electronic!
      Is that your point here? About a dipstick?

>The sensors are more accurate

Oil pressures are higher, it's pretty much a necessity now to use a sensor

>Oil pressures are higher, it's pretty much a necessity now to use a sensor

Lmao fricking wrenchlets

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Lol, I think morons who only can wrench get scared of anything electronic or tune related and say it's le bad, rather than actually learning the computer side of things too
        >t. tuner

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>and lowers emissions
      Subjective Lobbying

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The sensors are more accurate, it's a technology that came from racing to consumer cars.
    >b-but it's electronic!
    Is that your point here? About a dipstick?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Sensors fail. Will engine run if it can't read the levels?

Again, something so simple and proven would have eliminated yet another potential headache.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Codes are thrown when (if) the sensor fails.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>Sensors fail
        So do dipsticks, dipshit

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Dipsticks dont fail unless oil dipstick is made of plastic. Thats what VW/Audi has been doing for 22+ years. I would not be surprised if GM or Ford have also used plastic oil dipsticks. My previous 2001 volvo v40 2.0t had metallic oil dipstick.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

my 2010s era ford escape has a plastic handled dip stick that looks a lot like that. I think most fords I have glanced in since before then have the yellow plastic handle.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous
        • 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>oh no, i need to replace a $5 dollar length of metal/plastic
          vs
          >oh frick. i need to tear down the entire engine bay to replace a $200+ sensor
          are you trying to be moronic, or did it just kind of happen by accident?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>i need to tear down the entire engine bay to replace a $200+ sensor
            They should put the sensor on the end of a long stick poking in there so it's easier to replace

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

do you have these pictures on the ready?

• 5 days ago
          Anonymous

How much of a gorilla-handed Black person are you to do this?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>Sensors fail
        I have 2 fox body mustangs.
        Both came with an oil level sensor in the oil pan.
        Both still have the factory sensor.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

I've never heard of an oil level sensor failing either

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Oil pressures are higher, it's pretty much a necessity now to use a sensor

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Dipsticks aren't just for checking oil LEVEL, they're also for checking its CONDITION. You can wipe your dipstick on a white paper towel and see its color, you can smell it for fuel, you can look for the tiny metal particles that foretell the death of an engine. There is no reason to replace the dipstick with a sensor other than to make the car more disposable. A dipstick is not expensive to have in addition to a sensor, and cars have had BOTH a dip stick and a level sensor as far back as the '80s (I had an E30 for a while, it had both).

>oil pressures are higher
      shut up you no brain Black person monkey. You'd have to be a subhuman level moron to think oil pressure would in any way make a dipstick unfeasible. moron

• 1 week ago
        civil engineering stud

>Dipsticks aren't just for checking oil LEVEL, they're also for checking its CONDITION. You can wipe your dipstick on a white paper towel and see its color, you can smell it for fuel, you can look for the tiny metal particles that foretell the death of an engine. There is no reason to replace the dipstick with a sensor other than to make the car more disposable. A dipstick is not expensive to have in addition to a sensor, and cars have had BOTH a dip stick and a level sensor as far back as the '80s (I had an E30 for a while, it had both).
        This, there's a reason bikes have a window to measure the oil level, that way you can also see the state it's in.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Big feelings today, huh?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>Dipsticks aren't just for checking oil LEVEL, they're also for checking its CONDITION.
        Shitbox that goes 20,000 miles without an oil change.
        This thread is for performance vehicles not an old dodge truck.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>Performance vehicles
          What does that have to do with anything? Do racecars dont get blown gaskets?

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

You don't care about the condition of the oil in your shitbox with a $200 engine, you do with your $40,000 AMG V8

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

You know these new cars have oil life monitors that will more accurately be able to tell the condition of the oil than your average boomer moron (you) ever could right?

>Dipsticks aren't just for checking oil LEVEL, they're also for checking its CONDITION. You can wipe your dipstick on a white paper towel and see its color, you can smell it for fuel, you can look for the tiny metal particles that foretell the death of an engine. There is no reason to replace the dipstick with a sensor other than to make the car more disposable. A dipstick is not expensive to have in addition to a sensor, and cars have had BOTH a dip stick and a level sensor as far back as the '80s (I had an E30 for a while, it had both).
        This, there's a reason bikes have a window to measure the oil level, that way you can also see the state it's in.

A whole motorcycle costs at most as much as a new car engine.

Dipsticks require people to actually check them, something your average stellantis buyer is not gonna do regularly. A oil level monitor can continuously monitor the engine level just like a dipstick, but when it gets too low it'll display a warning message on the cluster telling the driver to top it off with 1/2-1 quart. It's more likely to keep the engine alive than a dipstick that won't get checked even once between a 5000-7500 mile oil change (where if 1 quart/1000-3000 miles is normal spec...then your car is gonna be several quarts every time it needs a oil change and the owner completely unaware)

This stuff should be standard across the board because your average consumer is a fricking moron while OEMs now have 10,000 mile oil change intervals while simultaneously saying 1qt/1000-3000 miles is normal oil consumption. At least this way the consumer can't claim ignorance if he has a message in the cluster every time he starts the car sayjng the oil is dangerously low when it inevitably spins a bearing

You don't care about the condition of the oil in your shitbox with a $200 engine, you do with your $40,000 AMG V8

Yeah that's a car with a oil level and oil life monitor.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

>1/2-1 quart
          Top it off with a negative half? Remove 0.5.
          You fricking Black person.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Replace your oil at every scheduled interval it's a non issue.
    I'll never understand the boomer obsession with checking the dipstick constantly to see if the oil has turned fluorescent pink or something.
    >but muh oil levels
    The ECU will tell you if it gets too low, or the sensor fails. You also trust the same ECU to tell you your coolant temps, right?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Honestly it doesn't even matter if you do scheduled maintenance.
      >ahhhh my fricking oil level what is it
      Who fricking cares. I check and see if there's oil on spots that I leave after the car has sat for a while.
      No oil spot on ground? No light on? You aren't a moron who tries to "let it run" with fricking /engine oil/?
      Who cares.
      No one does any driving that warrants knowing the oil status unless you're some sort of performance guy, in which case you'd just use an ECU monitor anyway.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

those stupid fricking boomers man, i tell you.
      who do they think they are, preferring something as simple and time-tested as a fricking dip stick that has roughly zero chance of error (aside from operator)
      it's WAY cooler and better to use an electronic sensor that may or may not get fricky with ECU issues.
      FRICKING BOOMERS MAN!
      (that was sarcasm, you moronic broccoli headed zoomer c**t.)

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I've got a dipstick for your wife,..

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>mfw i dont even have efi
    love my efi but it got too complicated after the late 00s which is where my love affair with it stopped with my turbo barras

• 5 days ago
      Greased Geese

i have never seen a pressurized carb box on anything that wasn't a show car holy shit

• 5 days ago
        Greased Geese

wait shit that's just a fricking square carb hat

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

BMW also had some cars without oil dipstick, so its not stellantis alone who had this dumb idea.

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The worst part is the moronic German ones that don't let you view the oil level until the engine is already warmed up. Yes, it's more accurate than way, but for diagnoses it's handy to know whether it has anything in it at all beforehand before you turn the damn thing on, and it won't let you.

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>people ITT can't comprehend the possibility of an oring and quarter turn lock on a dipstick

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Its planned planned obsolence.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>planned planned obsolence
      Double planned obsolence?? w-what does that mean? should I be worried?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

it means it's over
        close the computer now, and hide in your bunker

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I HATE THE ANTICHRIST I HATE THE ANTICHRIST I HATE THE ANTICHRIST

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

My 20 year old Mercedes doesn't even have a dipstick, and I know (nearly) 20 year old BMWs don't either, so they're just finally catching up. MB was smart enough to leave a tube where you can buy a dipstick "workshop tool" to use, however.

• 1 week ago
      civil engineering stud

That one's for the troon fluid, THOUGH

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

i seriously doubt any stellantis/dodge/jeep/chrysler/ram/mopar customer in my lifetime has known what a dipstick is

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

moron take.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

You have to be 18 to post here

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

is stellantis going broke? are they that desperate for the cost savings?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Worldwide, they are doing well. It's the North American market this is shrinking.

I really think they are trying to destroy the old brands like Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler so they can replace all the inventory with Fiat and Alfa crap.

15. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Why even have hoods that open at this point? Just make it one solid panel, same for the underside panel and just pay 700 bucks for some Hispanic gentleman in a shop to drop the engine every time something needs to be done (which one of your 30 sensors will tell you, unless it's a sensor failure and the car won't start at all)

• 5 days ago
      Anonymous

Don't give manufacturers stupid ideas

16. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Tamara from the 406 is not going to use the dip stick anyways and the yearly oil change will tell the mechanic enough.

17. 5 days ago
    Anonymous

Normalgays can't tell their coolant from their wiper reservoir. The car telling them when it's time to put oil in is a good idea

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *