ITT: We post our opinions and rankings of different drivetrains. RWD: Best overall in terms of handling and fun.

ITT: We post our opinions and rankings of different drivetrains.

RWD: Best overall in terms of handling and fun. Great daily if you don't get snow or have a winter vehicle. Great for even tire wear without burnouts. Bonus points for being capable of burnouts and donuts

FWD: Best overall for winter climates. Where I live its a frozen shithole for half the year and I had no issues at all with good winter tires two winters ago and only couldn't go uphill twice last winter on nearly bald all seasons on the worst road condition days and even then with some sand I got moving. Lackluster in handling and prone to understeer, can be fun to whip around with the handbrake.

AWD: Decent, but only worth getting if your intention is to either rally on dirt roads, or build an extremely high horsepower car where you need as much traction getting to the wheels as possible for speed and acceleration. Not worth the lower fuel economy for a daily winter driver over FWD if you just want traction in the snow unless you live in the mountains. Does good in mild off road conditions, but not nearly as capable as 4WD.

4WD: A must have if you intend to do some serious off-roading, with 4-Low being essential. Depending on the vehicle very similar road performance to RWD due to the selectability of the drivetrain. Fuel economy tends to suffer due to 4WD systems being heavier than AWD.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

AWD with all season tires has better acceleration in snow and ice than FWD with winter tires

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

But the AWD on all seasons won't corner or brake as well as an equivalent FWD or RWD on winter tires

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

FWD always sucks

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How much of that has to do with it weighing about 30% more?

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

new bmw M cars have selectable RWD/AWD and are the best of all worlds so just get one of those.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The benefits for handling with this seems worth slight decrease in fuel economy from the extra weight as a compromise

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Abdul this is called 4WD and it's been around for over 100 years
      except if it's BismillahMW it's probably a viscous fluid coupler center diff abomination setup for karens to commute to the office

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

poor cope.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

front engine, rear wheel drive, manual, double bones and a metal engine

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

And here I thought wood engines are preferable

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mid engine AWD, iykyk

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

RWD is easily doable in winter if you're not a pussy

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Not where I live, I used to have a Jeep XJ and even with snow tires I'd still need to use 4WD occasionally to get up some icy hills that weren't even that steep. And believe me, I'd always try to use 2WD to get moving just to get good at throttle control, sometimes its just not possible with RWD. But if you live somewhere with mild winters with only occasional snow of a few inches RWD is very doable in winter, My winters are long, early winter and early spring is the worst, with lots of freeze thaw leaving the roads slushy or icy, and the possibility of freezing rain turning everything into glare ice.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I never had any issues with 2WD going up or down hills, I live in Minneapolis. I did it with both all-season and winters, winter tires obviously make it easier and are worth it, but if you get caught out with only all-seasons you'll be fine

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I'm telling you, sometimes RWD wasn't enough even with winter tires where I'm at, sometimes I'd have to use 4WD just to get moving, I've never had that problem with FWD so far except one time on a slushy hill with ice beneath on bald all seasons.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That sounds like you had an open diff, potentially with mismatched tires.

Even so, I drove my grandpa's burb with an open diff and all-seasons, never had that problem in Stillwater or Duluth which each have some pretty wicked hills

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

It was an open diff, but they were new winter tires. That's just how bad the roads get where I live, and an XJ has 55/45 F/R weight distribution.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Minneapolis
          We salt our roads to shit and back; we don't count.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You're cool for driving rwd in the snow until you hit an icepatch and now your clown ass pinned the throttle for too long and now you're sideways while stacy instead straightens out in crv after freezing up

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>until you hit an ice patch and then mash the throttle

Anon, why would I do that? I'm not moronic, unlike you. First of all I'd be watching the road to look for ice, failing that I'd simply not mash the throttle.

Also, if someone was moronic enough to do that, traction control and/or stability control exists.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Not that anon, but sometimes you just don't see ice coming, and if you're on the throttle at all and hit an ice patch you're gonna start spinning one rear tire; and I've had this happen where I let off the throttle when I hear/see my RPMs go up, and when the spinning tire slows down it causes the other tire to lose traction and cause a fishtail, and that's with an open diff. With a limited slip diff if both your rear tires hit ice at the same time while you're on the throttle your back end's gonna kick out no matter what.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Make up horror stories all you want, but literally every single time, if I didn't see it beforehand, all I had to do is refrain from sperging out, and just ease off the throttle.
            You DO know basic throttle control, right?

It literally is not that big of a deal. If you fishtail a little, big whoop.
            You DO know how to catch oversteer, right?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I'm not making it up, I was going up a somewhat snowy hill with mostly hardpack snow about 45-50mph, then I heard my RPM going up and I let off the gas and half a second after I let-off my rear end started fishtailing, I remained calm and recovered but my adrenaline spiked right after.
            I'm just saying things can happen out of nowhere very quickly even going in a straight line

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Just to add on that last statement isn't exclusive to RWD, on winter roads I've hit a patch of black ice in an AWD that caused me to slowly slide sideways from the crown in the road until I hit a snowbank. The car kept going in a straight line but sliding sideways slowly and braking or turning the steering wheel did nothing.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Depends on the car and the road really. If you're lucky enough, you're on a relatively flat road with a balanced car. Sometimes you get a little unlucky and you're driving your rear drive mid engine car on a road with a few degrees of slope, and a tiny bit of traction loss is just enough to make your car end up in a ditch. Catching oversteer is not nearly as easy as you think in snow. Momentum really carries your car a lot. Lift off oversteer is also a problem that you can run into with corners. Someone unfamiliar with snow would be likely to assume its as easy as rolling off + countersteer, and if you're going 15 in a parking lot, sure, it might be that easy, but its a whole different animal on the road, and you better pray you have snow tires while you're at it.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I know exactly how easy it is to catch oversteer in snow, when I was 16 and didn't know how to drive I had to do it all the time.

>Minneapolis
            We salt our roads to shit and back; we don't count.

Not my fault the other anons live in shitholes that don't

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Awd is literally the best possible config for a performance car. You lack nothing with awd. If a car is good in rwd, it'll be even better with awd. Awd systems allow you to split the power evenly if wanted or have a bias towards whichever wheels. Tire wear is better on an awd, cause you have an even spread on wear and don't deal with the lopsided wear of rwd or fwd. You don't need to worry about cornering nearly as much or whether your car had the chassis designed by einstein. Its awd, so its sending power to all wheels. Humans can use all 4 limbs for different types of locomotion. A car as such should be capable of the same in its best form. More traction, more grip, better launching, better cornering, etc etc. Fwd and rwd cater to taste over performance. If the r35 weighs 3800 with forced induction and a transaxle that sent power back to the front, a camaro with its fully aluminum rwd drivetrain is wasting weight while weighing the same. But the camaro is also a legacy muscle car. Its rwd because the camaro is a camaro. Its not a bleeding edge performance vehicle that pushes the limits. Its just meant to be a muscle car that costs less to build and looks cool. Fwd is designed to be even cheaper, safer, and more spacious. 4wd is for making the most of an awd layout with active engaging couplings

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If you're a pussy sure. RWD seperates the men from the boys.

Although it's not like it's hard to drive a RWD car. Some people just suck that badly.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>rwd separates men from the boys
        Apparently your dad didn't also tell you awd wins races, so I guess winning is for women

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

How many racing series have you won at the track with your AWD car?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Awd is better. LMh beats LMDh every time. It’s just a fact. Traction is king

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You're not accounting for engine position. In winter conditions RR is the superior choice.
    You get all the weight over your drive wheels like FF but with the advantage of maintaining greater traction when going up hill as the rear isn't lifting. The only downside is under acceleration steering is lighter but if you're driving in winter conditions you should have enough sense not be accelerating in to a turn, you should be lifting off before turning which shifts your weight towards the steering wheels.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

RWD is and will always be the enthusiast’s choice.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

i like rwd l6 because of how accessible everything is

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *