i've heard the straight 6 is best due to something about it being naturally stable due to something with the firing order of the pistons which i ...

i've heard the straight 6 is best due to something about it being naturally stable due to something with the firing order of the pistons which i don't really understand + inline engines wear more evenly.
but what about an i3 engine? does it have the same inherent stability since it's half a straight 6?
what are the consequences of having a less stable inline engine, like an i4?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>but what about an i3 engine? does it have the same inherent stability since it's half a straight 6?
    No
    >what are the consequences of having a less stable inline engine, like an i4?
    Balancing shafts

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what other engines are inherently stable?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

V12
        90 degree v8
        72 degree v10
        not sure just what I figured from a quick web search

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

V10s are SO unstable that Tritons and Magnums will go to 400,000 miles on oil changes
          but I6 is THE STANDARD for diesels that need to do real work

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

me mums camry does 400,000 on oil changes m8
            a commercial grade i6 should do a million easy

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

V8's and V10's have secondary imbalances like I4's they're just minor comparitively

V12's I6's and I8's don't have primary or secondary imbalances. I8's have problems with crank warp, and just being long as frick.

OP there's a whole wiki page that covers most engine layouts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

V8 is more balanced than I6.

Troll post.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

IIRC GMs 60 degree V6 used in the 1 gen S10s might fit.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

V12, i8, V16

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Rotary

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

huh. thought they'd be fricked. is that single or multi rotor or does it not matter?

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

V8 is more balanced than I6.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

but doesn't it egg out the cylinders long term since it's not straight up?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this is factually incorrect.
      You can find out more by searching "first order harmonics engines"

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Inline 6 is perfectly balanced
      You may have them confused with Vslop

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

if it's perfect why are car makers making V8s and other better engines?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>car "makers"
          Just tell us you don't know how to spell "manufacturers" and be done with it.
          V8s are inherently unbalanced. Unless you want to change physics, the I6 is just superior when it comes to harmonics.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>What are pros and cons?
          Enjoy

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This is someone who just says shit and doesn't actually know anything

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Explain

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>but what about an i3 engine? does it have the same inherent stability since it's half a straight 6?
    it has the worst balance of any configuration.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It is not as well balanced as the Inline-6 because the I-6 duplicates the ignition order of the 1,5,3 cylinder in the 6,2,4 cylinder .

Not enough cylinders as in Inline-5

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i6s are nice but i would rather have a v8.
    i6s always better than v6.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's time for an audio demonstration of what "perfectly balanced" equates to in the real word:

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I hear a lot of boost down built race motors.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Wut

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Sounds like any other gigaboosted engine.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You can clearly tell by the sound that those are N/A engines, therefore I have deduced that you are a complete moron who has no idea what he's listening to.
            Shall be disregarding your posts from now on.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>You can clearly tell by the sound that those are N/A engines blah blah blah blah i stuck my dick in a thesaurus
            then why do they have antilag, genius?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Did I not say I shall be disregarding whatever future moronation you spew?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

apparently not

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

God I love the 4.0

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>chrystler ever

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>242
        >Chrysler

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>he doesn't know
        AMC made the 4.0, silly.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Guys dont tell him about the slant 6

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>what if we took an inline engine but made it wear unevenly just for fun?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>God I love wiener in my ass
      Enjoy being stranded with a boat anchor when your crank/cam sensor dies.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I carry a spare thermometer, CPS, and a few other small wear parts that're particular to my XJ alone. All alongside a small tool bag to swap them in. This all fits neatly in an old .50-Cal ammo can my grandpa had lying around.
        ...Do you not carry emergency replacement parts for your vehicle? Why are you so angry?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>crank sensor
          >wear item
          excuse me?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>what is the Oxford comma
            I get that it's late, come on now. I have wear items that my XJ likes to chew up. I keep spares of those.
            I also keep a spare of my CPS and some fuses/relays.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If only all Jeep guys would be that honest. Bought a Cherokee after the fan bois hyped up the reliability of the "indestructible" 4.0, cps died and left me stranded. Even after replacing it would never run right. It left a bad taste in my mouth. No PCM or ECU on my 4x4 after that.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>If only all Jeep guys would be that honest. Bought a Cherokee after the fan bois hyped up the reliability of the "indestructible" 4.0, cps died and left me stranded. Even after replacing it would never run right. It left a bad taste in my mouth. No PCM or ECU on my 4x4 after that.
            Kek same thing happened to me i broke the transfer case and nss gear thing idler pcv bridged it with a paperclip then blocked it off
            Honestly the falcon intech crossflow and non efi ford 240 shits over amcs one power torque smoothness only thing the 4ltr amc has going for it is it runs cooler simpler head cam design and rev happier

The barra and vortech 4200 absolutely obliterate every other i6
            Wish you tanks yankers showed more love to i6s besides aussie meme engine and the n5x

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You got filtered by a 4.0

get better

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I was young and dumb, but that old 4.0 did teach me a very valuable lesson, do your research and buy something good, like a Toyota.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I was young and dumb, but that old 4.0 did teach me a very valuable lesson, do your research and buy something good, like a Toyota.
            Toyotas made after 2008 are not reliable they cut massive corners from 2006-2020 and thats the point i stopped paying attention
            Their only good car is the supra and its a z8 their only good 4wd is the troopy and 200 landcrusier v8s
            >I was young and dumb, but that old 4.0 did teach me a very valuable lesson, do your research and buy something good, like a Toyota.
            Toyotas made after 2008 are not reliable they cut massive corners from 2006-2020 and thats the point i stopped paying attention
            Their only good car is the supra and its a z8 their only good 4wd is the troopy and 200 landcrusier v8s

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>the engine is le bad because <insert thing that is not engine>
            No Jeepgay will say that there aren't gremlins to chase. Chrysler wiring is notoriously dogshit, but the engine itself is about as robust as you can make one.
            It's like how the 12v Cummins is a fantastic motor, but the shitty Dodge wrapped around it is where are all the maintenance goes. Same shit, different toilet.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Forgot the (You)

Maybe, but the ones I knew only liked to tell you about the problems after you bought one, misery loves company.
            Fair point, but I would argue the PCM is part of the motor because it can tell you "no" and not fire the motor if one of the sensors aren't reading right. I imagine the 4.0 would be fine, if not a bit heavy and thirsty with, a new dizzy and a carb. Still a bit more work than deleting the shipping crate and being left with a good motor.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Check out Dex Jeeps on YouTube. I can't be bothered to skim through it all, but he's got little tips and tricks to help bypass and diagnose stuff like that

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Based hillbillies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-iotJKzYRk

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Maybe, but the ones I knew only liked to tell you about the problems after you bought one, misery loves company.
    Fair point, but I would argue the PCM is part of the motor because it can tell you "no" and not fire the motor if one of the sensors aren't reading right. I imagine the 4.0 would be fine, if not a bit heavy and thirsty with, a new dizzy and a carb. Still a bit more work than deleting the shipping crate and being left with a good motor.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the only balanced engine is a turbine

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honestly there is a donut YouTube about this that explains it pretty good... Go find it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'll do a nut in your mouth you fricking normie get out of here

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Without visuals you will never understand. Just watch this, it's a pretty good explanation why I6's are balanced.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

W18 and V16 if you have class.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>what are the consequences of having a less stable inline engine, like an i4?
    You need balancing shafts, a heavier flywheel, and a stiffer crankshaft. Or you could be like VW and decide to put the whole thing on hydraulic dampers and have it rattle around (a shit idea for reliability)

The reason why most industrial and commercial diesel engines come in I6 is to avoid highly stressing the parts or creating an overly complex engine by having a less balanced design. V12 is also another engine that has this feature, and is seen for the larger diesel engines.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *