Jeep Grand Cherokee 1997 ZJ 4.0. Radio dead, because cassette winding motor died. (I use a cassette to Aux for music)

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1997 ZJ 4.0

Radio dead, because cassette winding motor died. (I use a cassette to Aux for music)

So, now that my radio is kaput...
They sell shit like this online for $260.
Personally, I'm not that attached to the stock radio, it is a piece of shit. 😀

Anyone got a better idea for me, that is a simple swap in?
Because what I'm about to do, is go to the junkyard and pull radios for $40, until I find one that works good enough.
$260 is too much.

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

why not get an aftermarket radio with an install kit? decent chink radios on Amazon are sub $100, or $200 will get you a really nice radio with an install kit from crutchfield.com

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Simple install on my ZJ shit box?
      I don't feel like 6 hours of install time, even if the speakers sound like I kidnapped Sinatra and have him in the backseat.
      Remember I'm coming from cassette to aux, audio quality is not a deciding factor. It's $$ cheapo shit for me.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        Also, the speakers are $10/piece if I can use the stock radio or a close equivalent.

yeah, you basically buy a wiring kit like this, match the colors and crimp them together with the harness that comes with the radio with butt connectors just matching the colors. should take 10 minutes to wire, 10 minutes to install, and 10 minutes of fricking around to get it to work. you'll want a dashboard radio kit as well which is just a plastic surround to make the radio fit in the factory spot.
        the stock speakers will work fine with the new radio, you shouldn't have to mess with them.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I don't feel like 6 hours of install time, even if the speakers sound like I kidnapped Sinatra and have him in the backseat.
      Remember I'm coming from cassette to aux, audio quality is not a deciding factor. It's $$ cheapo shit for me.

Also, the speakers are $10/piece if I can use the stock radio or a close equivalent.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

if you don't use cds you can get a basic aftermarket unit for $30, Bluetooth/USB/aux compatible

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I threw this Pioneer in my T-bird, not bad. Has F/R and sub rca pre-outs, bluetooth control and displays song name from phone. You'd need a dash kit since factory radio looks to be 1.5 din size, and of course the appropriate wiring harness(es).

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

if you don't use cds you can get a basic aftermarket unit for $30, Bluetooth/USB/aux compatible

https://i.imgur.com/U7rf7NV.png

[...]
      yeah, you basically buy a wiring kit like this, match the colors and crimp them together with the harness that comes with the radio with butt connectors just matching the colors. should take 10 minutes to wire, 10 minutes to install, and 10 minutes of fricking around to get it to work. you'll want a dashboard radio kit as well which is just a plastic surround to make the radio fit in the factory spot.
      the stock speakers will work fine with the new radio, you shouldn't have to mess with them.

[...]

why not get an aftermarket radio with an install kit? decent chink radios on amazon are sub $100, or $200 will get you a really nice radio with an install kit from crutchfield.com

Sup, I'm in the junkyard right now.
      Just pulled a Sony CDX GT57UP
      Out of a Dodge ram 1500.
      Has the same mounts as my stock radio in my Jeep ZJ.

Will this work?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

yeah. you'll need a plastic trim piece and wiring harness for your jeep tho

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

oh if it has the same mounts you might not even need to buy the trim piece, just the harness unless you want to chop off your stock plug and wire the new radio right in

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

You'll need that Sony half of the harness to wire to the Jeep aftermarket harness.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

oh if it has the same mounts you might not even need to buy the trim piece, just the harness unless you want to chop off your stock plug and wire the new radio right in

yeah. you'll need a plastic trim piece and wiring harness for your jeep tho

Bingo.
          I wire snipped it off, but I specifically kept the connector pieces, so I think it's a drop in.
          Luckily, I scavenged the junkyard long enough to find the exact OEM unit that I currently have.
          The mounts on mine are all there, and I got the Sony mount too.

Figured I can get two tries, since I grabbed 2 radios.
          I'm probably installing the Sony, but I'm keeping the extra stock radio too, if I ever want to put that bad boy back in, for some Cassette goodness.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I also nabbed two adjustable leather headrests.

Got the whole shebang for a smidge over $100.
            Even pocketed a calculator that I found in a Dodge Ram, and a new pair of sunglasses, but I gave the sunglasses to a homeless guy on the way home, since it's bright out.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

good deal, I used to go to junkyards when I first started driving like 20 years ago. used to find good stuff now everything valuable gets put online. I found some leather m3 recaro's for my e30 325 (first car)

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>cassette motor died
    Those aux cassettes don't need the cassette motor to work, they just give data to the head directly. Did you do any troubleshooting to make sure it's the head unit?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Damn, I mean, not extensively, but I know those motors weren't working, and I already did a battery reboot, and the volume control knob is busted regardless.
      Radio needed replaced, and I watched those cassette winders fail to move when the motor should have been moving them.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        Also, it just shits cassettes out on repeat and switches back to radio.
        Even happens when I get something playing in them.

Anyway, I'm going to go try and swap the radio out today.
        I'll be honest, I have no idea how to remove my dash trim without breaking it. Going to watch hella YouTube videos before I open that shit up. 30 year old tape is holding some of that shit down, for sure.

when a cassette player stops turning the cassette, 99% of the time the belt has dry rotted and fallen off the rollers. a cassette belt has a 10-15 year lifespan.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

That's true but auto reverse decks react to the spindles not moving in sync so if the drive motor is dead they will just assume the tape has ended and swap sides repeatedly. There's usually an optical sensor somewhere on the drivetrain to detect the mechanism stopping at the end of a tape.
          OP would have to take the radio apart and short the end-of-tape sensor if he can even find it, at which point he might as well just replace the drive belt that's causing the deck to not work.

[...]

I'll be honest, I have no idea how to remove my dash trim without breaking it. Going to watch hella YouTube videos before I open that shit up. 30 year old tape is holding some of that shit down, for sure.

https://i.imgur.com/cxa5eKR.jpeg

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1997 ZJ 4.0

Radio dead, because cassette winding motor died. (I use a cassette to Aux for music)

So, now that my radio is kaput...
          They sell shit like this online for $260.
          Personally, I'm not that attached to the stock radio, it is a piece of shit. 😀

Anyone got a better idea for me, that is a simple swap in?
          Because what I'm about to do, is go to the junkyard and pull radios for $40, until I find one that works good enough.
          $260 is too much.

Update: We good.
          Install went easy as frick. 5 minute job for any ZJ owner.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

I'm 34 years old. This is the first time I've owned a radio with aux in.

First time the radio in my vehicle didn't have a cassette input option.

I feel like I'm really living in the future!
            (Please ignore that my current radio was manufactured in 2014, that is still 17 years newer than my last one.)

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>dry rot
          Shit, mine melted into goo and I had a hell of a time cleaning the shit out

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Damn, I mean, not extensively, but I know those motors weren't working, and I already did a battery reboot, and the volume control knob is busted regardless.
      Radio needed replaced, and I watched those cassette winders fail to move when the motor should have been moving them.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

That's true but auto reverse decks react to the spindles not moving in sync so if the drive motor is dead they will just assume the tape has ended and swap sides repeatedly. There's usually an optical sensor somewhere on the drivetrain to detect the mechanism stopping at the end of a tape.
      OP would have to take the radio apart and short the end-of-tape sensor if he can even find it, at which point he might as well just replace the drive belt that's causing the deck to not work.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *