Junkyard Blues

Am I the only one who gets sad every trip to the pick and pull? These were once someone's new car that they were happy to have, and here it sits.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Pick and pull is fricking useless unless you get to the car the day it gets put out in the yard. But yes, it is sad seeing some of the cars there especially if their interiors are in really good shape (they never are though)

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Not entirely true, it's useful for getting things like bolts you broke or retainer clips. I even found a fuel filler neck for my truck and a newer alternator, but you are right as well because there's nothing left on anything that's been there longer than a few days

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Ah yeah true. I'm just pissed about the last time I went to get a coolant expansion tank and they were all fricking cut out of the cars, making them completely useless for everyone else. Lazy fricking homosexuals can't be bothered to undo 2 bolts.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

They also love to drill out the fuel tanks

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Pick'n'pull does that as company policy. Not sure if the coolant tanks being cut is also. Probably just a lazy fricker that's doing all the fluid collection.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This I saw a car from the pictures and all the panels were in good shape. Some fricker keyed up the entire car. I hate junkyards

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes it makes me sad. I have a pull a part in my city and it's sad to see when they recently took a row and sent them to be scrapped. I know there are all kinds of good parts gone forever because no one came and got them in time.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This behavior gets you banned

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

what???

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Meant to reply to

Not really. Sometimes when nobody is looking I break the glass and wipe my greasy hands one any clean interior I can find. I took a shit in a car before too. To me it's just a playground

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

My acidic farts in your mouth will get you banned from living

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Not really. Sometimes when nobody is looking I break the glass and wipe my greasy hands one any clean interior I can find. I took a shit in a car before too. To me it's just a playground

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
  4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Oh yeah cheap parts, that makes me want to weep

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Not really. Their parts will get used for something else to keep it on the road.
    The only time I get kinda sad is when I see the one "obviously much older than anything around it" car that someone was trying to keep on the road and they just lost the fight. Some yards leave these in there for a long time. One yard I went to had a gold FB RX7 that had obviously been there a very long time. Almost nothing was left of it. Who is trying to find FB RX7 parts first off, then how long would one have to sit to the point that it's almost completely stripped to just the unibody....

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Idk jap crap but if that's a desirable car, it would only take one fan of them to see it and it'd be stripped down of everything and kept in his shed or attic or whatever.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They're not super common anymore. Desirable...ehhh??? I mean people like them for their looks but nobody actually wants them. They're pretty cheap still. Popular to engine swap due to being light with a long hood. You can still find them reasonably cheap for what you'd expect to be a more expensive 80s-90s Japanese icon.

My dad had one back in the day. He liked his.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yeah alot of RX7 guys i know will quickly strip down and horde parts cause they know will be valuable or use it to barter with other rx7 guys. Iv been trying to buy an FB buts its hard to find a decent one that either isn’t a musum peice for too much or a parts car

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I love junkyards tbh. I'd love to own one at one point in my life, maybe pick out and restore a few cars I like. That's da dream.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>tfw there's no more junkyards nearby me anymore because it's more economical to send cars straight to the shredder then pay for the real estate/operational costs of a junkyard

Man I haven't been to one in almost a decade, I miss that shit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yep they're all gone here
      there are private yards that have searchable inventory but they are a complete frickin joke
      nearest you-pulls are hours away

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I'm lucky then. Have at least three good wreckers i go to. Still some good cars around. I can't see Hyundai or Chinkshit owners pulling parts in the future though.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

no more around me because of rising insurance costs and morons injuring themselves then blaming the owners. fricking c**ts.
      don't ever let your country become a nanny state

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I can never find my car at junkyards anymore.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Kinda want to start a tow yard someday. You basically get to legally steal peoples vehicles and have you pay to get them back. Imagine the amount of stuff you would inherit when most of them are just straight up abandoned...

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>have you pay
      Have them pay

Jesus the coffee hasn't fully kicked in yet this morning.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>multiple pick n pulls in my area
    >none of them are open on weekends at all, have to take time off to yank parts off cars
    >they charge an entry fee

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>they charge an entry fee
      That's a pocket fine.
      You're suppose to load your pockets and tool bag with switches, knobs, emblems and trim pieces.
      They know you're going to do it.
      We know you're going to do it.
      Even if you didn't know you were going to do it when you got there, you did it before you left.
      The fee brings balance to the universe.
      Like Darth Vader, a necessary evil.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>the pick n pull employee when he sees me walk in to checkout with a milsurp bdu and cargo pants, every pocket entirely full of random bits and i want to just buy a gauge cluster

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The only junkyard that has my model car is where the owner is a inbred butthole and wants 50 dollars for even a few pieces of plastic trim.

I am crying

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You are a Black person.
    2/10 made me reply

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

junkyards are cool, they lets cars die in dignity. what really gets me is the junkyards thats only after recycling steel and crush everything instantly and just deliver then as mixed steel straight to the melting plant.
    i deliver a lot of steel and copper through work and i can find mint lookking less than 10 year old cars on their lot in line for the shredder.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

once saw an AE86 hatch in the junkyard around 2011
    it was a white panda GT-S model someone had callously spray painted flat black and drifted into a telephone pole. i got a bit upset.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I like to think of it as those cars or now organ donors and saving my cars life

16. 2 months ago
    Owner-Optimus Primefag

The death of one begets the life of many

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

unless its something weird and rare, then its just death to a drying supply.
      >PART OUT? NAAAAH JUST KILL IT

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

pain
        i can only hope when stuff like that goes through someone who's part of an owner's club or whatever is watching and can help other non-local owners, especially old stuff where even just the glass is as good as gold
        >that spock doll in the background
        what the frick

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

With most old VIN cars, my yards have rows for them that don't get cleared for months, giving them the highest chance of being stripped clean.
          new VIN cars go in their designated import/domestic rows, so everything post '81 gets maybe a month max in the yard then crushed, total death sentence for 80s cars, especially already rare ones.
          I like to walk around my local yards and document cars which I know to be rare and their vins.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

When I didn't have a car I used to get outright angry with the half decent old cars I could have got. But year I kind of get it now, if you earn 50k a year then just getting a 40k brand car can seem sooo much easier but for me I just like old cars better for their looks. Then there is the enormous waste of resources that is only sustainable because of cheap oil, this shouldn't be normalized.

I get pretty fricken sad seeing stuff like, I like to think was what the story with this. Sometimes I'll see a car from the 80's or with the sticker indicating it was on the road only a year. I think what was the thing that caused it to be in here. Sometimes I'll even see 70's or 60's car that could have been restored, I'm thinking its very likely owned by an old man and either children or uncles just couldn't to junk this stuff to liquidate the estate.

[...]
          I'd love to part out, but the problem is that there's little demand. That's the problem - limited space + parts car donation = filled two car garage.

Old person who was part way through restoring, I imagine some gen z would have taken it but they live in a dorm or something and they just don't have a place to put it. The gen x or older would rather have a hyundai suv, no way the wife would give them permission.

https://i.imgur.com/aZ2aoTR.png

Last one was from row52 which i check weekly

The frick.

and then I see stuff like this, not that much rust really and then I read in the comment they don't have inspection in that state. Someone could have easily fixed that up. I don't get people obsession with getting loans for shit like a Ford Trax. I guess if you don't grow up with old cars you just don't know how fun and cool they are.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/aODYVum.jpg

With most old VIN cars, my yards have rows for them that don't get cleared for months, giving them the highest chance of being stripped clean.
        new VIN cars go in their designated import/domestic rows, so everything post '81 gets maybe a month max in the yard then crushed, total death sentence for 80s cars, especially already rare ones.
        I like to walk around my local yards and document cars which I know to be rare and their vins.

https://i.imgur.com/FpMUtjW.jpg

pain
        i can only hope when stuff like that goes through someone who's part of an owner's club or whatever is watching and can help other non-local owners, especially old stuff where even just the glass is as good as gold
        what the frick

WELL MAYBE IF YOU GAVE ME THE HEMMINGS EXCELENT PRICE FOR THAT ROLLER i MIGHT'VE SOLD IT TO YA SONNY, BUT I CAN'T TAKE NO MORE LOW BALLS, GOTTA HIT THAT FLIGHT TO THAILAND THIS WEEK
        TBD (total boomer death) when

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/FpMUtjW.jpg

pain
        what the frick

I'd love to part out, but the problem is that there's little demand. That's the problem - limited space + parts car donation = filled two car garage.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>state doesn't allow junk yards to sell entire cars
    >even if you separate the body and frame and drag both out on a bunch of dollies and somehow get everything back together nicely, it can't ever be registered again even as a salvage/rebuild title
    i hate the antichrist

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just find a second one somewhere being sold on Craigslist or some shit for giga cheap and move the VIN over.

This is how piles of rust with a Ferrari VIN end up selling for insane prices.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I CAN'T TAKE THIS KIND OF PRESSURE.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

ACK

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I MUST CONFESS ONE MORE DUSTY ROAD WOULD BE JUST A ROAD TOO LONG

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I must confess
        That my loneliness
        Is killing me now
        Don't you know I still believe
        That you will be here?
        Just give me a sign

19. 2 months ago
    s10fag

Lots of mint condition cars from estates that just shouldnt be there. BaT material if they werent shitboxes. Hyundai Excel. Chevy Nova (Corolla). Even a Chevy LUV at one point which i think is an Isuzu of some sort. Latest was a chevy celebrity, just 28k. Olive green inside and out. Beautiful actually, that car had been wrecked, but there was no reason for the others i mentioned to be there. Just remember that when you think about doing something nice for an American. When you feel like pitying some Black person prostitute with six figures of debt, dont.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I think just the opposite. It’s a treasure trove of used parts which can be used to create a complete car. I fix a lot of furniture and there is nothing more satisfying than using pieces of a broken thing to fix something and make it useful. It breathes new life into the car. It’s a beautiful rebirth

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Found about $1000 worth of good parts for $100 to use in repairs last time I went. Sucks how all the newer model cars get gutted by the owners before it goes public though.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

W O R T H L E S S

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>that one car that said I guess that's it and drives into the crusher

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I choke up at the Corvette every time, particularly when you notice he’s fruitlessly trying to turn his wheels :*(

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you buy a transmission or transaxle from a yard that uses a pan piercer you do not need to replace the pan.

I buy machined steel 1/4" NPT pipe bungs and stainless plugs for them online. I run a step drill bit through the hole to match then weld the bung in place WITH THE PLUG INSTALLED using anti-seize so it doesn't stick. The plug keeps the bung from warping.

You can have any local welder do the weld in minutes (ensure the parts are completely clean) if you don't weld. Brazing is fine too and amply strong. Every sheet steel trans pan I drop gets a drain plug, and the reason I use NPT taper plugs is if needed I can tap them deeper to repair threads though I've never needed to.

Search "1/4" NPT Stepped Bungs, Mild Steel" as they are widely available online.

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Everything will end up the same way. Your car, your favorite childhood toy, even (you) will be worn down by time and forgotten. So enjoy what you have while you have it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'm not even a z car fan and that makes me sad.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I want to rescue that poor 280zx so my current one will have a friend. And those z31 300zx(s). I want those too.

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I hope lkq buys out my local junkyard to turn into a pick and pull like they've been doing for years. It would be nice to have a supply from all over the state instead of what gets junked locally, which is nothing good.

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Lets say purely hypothetically, how were vin swaps done in the old days? Purely hypothetically if someone had a completely not stolen car out of a junk yard an a rust box donor vin.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the important part is the firewall because that's where the vin plate is mounted. as long as you have that the rest of the car could be entirely new production and it'd still be a 1954 porsche or whatever

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>car is crushed
    >it was from a plant that no longer exists

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>the untold millions of Crown Vics and Marquis long since scrapped and shredded
      >St. Ontario is just a run down parking lot now

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>In 2021, Amazon purchased the site to build a fulfillment center.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I did not know that and I wish I hadn't learned.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I was going to say at least a parking lot still serves cars, it could be worse and turn into an amazon distribution center like the US plants I can think off then I looked it up.

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

sometimes, especially when it's a car that wasn't even wrecked or rusted

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Same, especially with Hondas, people will literally drive a Civic or Accord into LKQ and dump the car because they let the maintenence go and didn't wanna fix it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

God my uncles had like 3 of these between the two of them. All gone now. Manual 4x4 turbo wagons. I would give a left nut for just one of them nowadays. I'd daily drive it. Audis from that era are still insanely well rust proofed.

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I always try to take pictures of interesting vehicles, higher trim levels, or classics at my local pull yards. Sometimes I'll also notify specific vehicle groups about them on facebook so that they actually get stuff pulled from them before its crushing time

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Last one was from row52 which i check weekly

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The junkyard near me has a special section for classic cars. Usually they're entirely dismantled and cut up for every bit of metal they have by resellers. It's better than the alternative of being crushed after 2 weeks like most cars here

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  32. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It's Novaer

33. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What cars have nice tool kits or cool jacks to raid at the junkyard?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *