"Just don't buy a car right now bro."

Is there a worse piece of auto advice out there? My 08 fusion's transmission took a shit and there's no reason to replace it at this point, so I've been needing a new car for the past couple months. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on purchasing cars, so I went to my Dad who sold cars for a decade and a bunch of others for advice on what to do. For some reason, every one of them came to the conclusion that I should just wait on buying a car. Maybe they're right, but it's so easy for them to say when they already have cars. I can't reliably get to and from work, buy groceries, or fricking do anything and it's been impacting my daily life horrendously. How is this even advice?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Just buy the least abused Japanese luxury car you can find especially Lexus or Acura.
    Expect to spend around 10k-15k, don't be afraid of higher mileage if the exterior and interior look minty fresh and the motor came with a timing chain.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Boomers give terrible advice.

I second this. Nice premium interior with jap reliability and cheap parts.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

What do you consider "higher milage"? 100k+?

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

yea
        so for these cars, broken in
        i sold my 06 is350 and it was running great at 136k, i get some vin related emails from bullshit and the new owner has racked it up to 175k

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

This is terrible advice just get a $2000-3000 manual transmission corolla from before 2005. It could have 300k miles and 5 previous owners and it will probably be fine. Just make sure it isnt too ugly, do a quick test drive and make sure it isnt making horrible noises and it doesnt feel like its falling apart.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

This is terrible advice just buy the least abused Chevy/GMC/Ram half-ton truck you can find, especially Ram 1500.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>non abused chevy or ram truck
        Good luck. Finding a pavement princess gmc is easy however

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>acura
      >timing chain
      it's not 1996, gramps, those birds are all belted J-series v6's

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

You can buy K20/K24 Acuras with timing chains from the 2000s but even a 90s car with higher mileage isn't the worst deal if it's cheap enough or was loved enough.

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

"Don't buy a car right now" is good advice...if you don't actually need a car. Like if you're thinking of upgrading or just getting something new. If you actually need a car, you need a car.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

The guy got by without a car for 2 whole months he obviously doesn't need one.

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

What are you supposed to be waiting on, for your transmission to fix itself? I don't get it.
    What's your budget?
    Seriously look into buying an actual new car, if you are considered with reliability, so you can get warranty, free maintenance, etc.
    Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas.

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

The driver is the problem

5. 3 months ago

Buy a rustbucket, hit a patch of black ice before it fails, get a rental for a week and repeat until the house of cards falls over.
    >verification not required

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

That advice is kinda good but only if you already have at least one, ideally more than one working car. morons parroting something they heard without actually thinking about your individual situation. Obviously you need a car. I recommend looking for a Camry or Accord sedan in the ~$10-15k price range, hopefully a v6. These will last a long time, be easy to sell when you want to upgrade, fairly reliable, comfy for long trips, decent fuel economy, not too slow, everything you want in a car that does car things. I like the full size sedans because hatchbacks are gay and compacts are annoyingly small when you put people in the back.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

hatchbacks are good, gay

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

if you're getting a used car that's still in production then it's not nearly as bad of an idea to get one compared to two years ago, but the overall used car market is still recovering
    if you're getting a new car then you actually have a good chance of getting a good deal (for a new car) but why would an DAtist want to buy a new car in the first place
    if you're getting a used car that's no longer in production then now's the time to buy because good quality 5-10+ year old cars have basically stopped depreciating - depending on the car you get, it could actually be a good investment like the 90s JDM cars today

regardless of all this advice, DO NOT FINANCE. the only real problem with getting a new car right now is the shitty state of loans/interest rates

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>regardless of all this advice, DO NOT FINANCE. the only real problem with getting a new car right now is the shitty state of loans/interest rates
      Always exceptions to the rule

if you're paying it off in 24 or 36 months, some dealerships might give an interest rate lower than what you can get off a high-savings account
      maybe it's different in the US but over here in leafland i financed at 3.99% over 36 months while i collect ~5% tax-free off a savings rate
      well actually i didnt do that, i just kept it all invested and it worked out (for now) but i should probably put it back into safe ~5% yields, at least the portion that was for the new car

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

well yeah obviously if you can get less than a 5 percent interest rate then you'd probably actually be saving money by financing
        unfortunately the average apr for a car is about 10 percent if you have average to good credit, and even the minimum you can get right now is 5.5 percent which isn't great

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

i guess it's cheaper in leafland, our credit is more like a pass/fail and i just financed a new car a few months ago though i had the cash

that said i just checked the rates and somehow the rates went up 2% in just a few months wtf
          i did 36 months for 4% and the 24 months was even lower, now it's 6% for 36 months and rates didnt even change since then (though i guess bonds themselves must have changed significantly)

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

>some dealerships might give an interest rate lower than what you can get off a high-savings account
        lol no dealership in the US does that anymore. They did in 2015, but not anymore. Instead they added the option of term length up to 96 months. How very considerate of them!

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>just wait for the prices to come down bro
    >don’t buy a house the bubble is going to pop (still waiting 3 years now)
    >when society collapses I’ll buy 20 acres and a McMansion for 10lbs of silver bro
    >2 weeks bro and all the vaxxies drop dead
    buy what you can afford there’s no point in waiting, prices have already stopped raising on used cars. with the new UAW contract new prices are going to keep going up rapidly the next 2 years

all these morons who think they know the market are lying or they’d be millionaires shorting the market. instead they’re just as poor as they’ve always been

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah I was in this situation when my shitbox Camry started on fire on my drive home from work one day. Just buy a car OP that’s what I did. having a nice reliable vehicle that doesn’t put extra stress on you is worth it in my opinion.

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

just buy a new car unless used cars have dropped significantly
    last time i checked you had the choice for a new corolla/civic (find a dealer that sells at msrp) at $30k, expensive yes but your alternative is buying a 1 year old corolla/civic with 40k+ miles on it already for $25k

40k miles is more expensive than a $5k discount, though MAYBE you can make an argument based on whether it's all highway miles vs. uber/skip miles

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

He's right they're stacking F150s deep on dealerships you should buy a truck

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *