Just how exactly do you get your foot in the door to becoming a mechanic

It's harder to get a job with no experience. Even with schooling wich barely even teaches you hands on you'll still start at the bottom and have to work your way up.
some shops do, but many (not all) of those apprentice programs are poorly run. You get the garbage jobs like brooming a floor or taking out trash and very little training , the majority of the shops offer little training unless your somehow related to the owner or friends with the senior mechanic.

>and then they wonder why there is a shortage of mechanics because no one is giving the younger guys a chance !!!

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Nah most of the younger guys are all morons with drug problems from my experience who couldn't even tell you how the 4 stroke cycle works despite all the knowledge you need being readily available on the internet. Nobodys gonna spoon feed you tard.

t. Worked his way up from nothing with a crappy car some cheap tools and the internet

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My shop snapped me up like I was a wallet stuffed with hundreds because I was able to explain how a voltage drop test worked and I didn't do drugs

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Dont go into mechanics unless you are a moron redneck.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What other trades are out there for some one with an interest in wrenching things.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You tell me and ill stop being a neet

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

What other trades are out there for some one with an interest in wrenching things.

Lrn 2 weld, you will make a lot more money than a mechanic

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Don't listen to queers on 4Black person, to be a high paid mechanic you have to be seriously skilled which is rare these days. The automotive industry is one of the worst blue collared industries and that's why there's a shortage, go into aviation instead

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

What about boats

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

> You get the garbage jobs like brooming a floor or taking out trash and very little training
            This is how trade jobs work. You do the shit work for awhile and then some senior tech takes you under his wing and you start learning stuff. Yes its a shitty system.
            > and then they wonder why there is a shortage of mechanics because no one is giving the younger guys a chance !!!
            Nobody is wondering this, least of all mechanics. Its probably one of the lowest tier trades, learn to fix something else.
            T. went to tech school for cars and now am a millwright

Most boat mechanics are scumbags and drug addicts, more so than cars i would argue.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>What about boats

Mechanics don't make much, shop owners do and the work is highly seasonal and economically sensitive to recessions.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Its a beautiful trade , but that industry thrives in states like florida or south carolina.

I would try working in a marina instead of a outboard dealership if you want to grow and bot end up in a dead end job , a boat manufacturer is good to

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>go into aviation instead

Wisdom. It's a different better world and if you go USAF you get a retirement plan. Auto mechanics don't really have those unless they start a business (used car lots are good).

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Being a mechanic is young men's work. It's hard on your body, dirty, and the pay isn't commensurate. Are you still going to be happy wrenching when you are 50, tired, and sore? Just get certified and apply on a job board if you're really about it

Welding, plumbing, electrician. Each of which can be done as your very own small business. The independent plumber next door to me has a big house with a huge insulated shop built onto the original garage

Don't listen to queers on 4Black person, to be a high paid mechanic you have to be seriously skilled which is rare these days. The automotive industry is one of the worst blue collared industries and that's why there's a shortage, go into aviation instead

Based, some kid I went to school with got into a training program in high school and had a house, a motorcycle, and a new truck while everyone else was still collecting debt in college

What about boats

Do you know how dirty and cramped the average boat is? Plus the work is seasonal and the market has a limited customer base. If you work as an independent mobile mechanic that does marine you might make some bank but the other trades would be more regular and probably net a higher pay ceiling

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Get into heavy industry/ trucks/diesel

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Airplane mechanic

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Everyone I know who's a mechanic regrets it because it's a dead end job. Most of them switched to trucking.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Working as a mechanic for someone isn't a hot ticket to anywhere. Learning how to tool and tune cars and opening up your own shop is the gateway to big money.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Just how exactly do you get your foot in the door to becoming a mechanic
    Watch youtube and frick around in your garage with a clunker? I'm just a hole and even I know how to do some engine work and body work watching youtube and fricking around with my Camry. If you need certifications or whatever then I can't help you there, but I have the feeling being a mechanic is a lot like being a painter. You either know what you're doing or you don't.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This
      Everything I've learned about cars has been from autisticly trying to learn every little thing about my car and then cars that interested me.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I'm just a hole

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Even with schooling wich barely even teaches you hands on you'll still start at the bottom and have to work your way up.

No shit, precious. You cannot know enough to be worth more starting out. School would have to be unaffordable to do more. Working retail car repair sucks anyway. Become a diesel tech, heavy equipment tech, or the patrician choice and work on aircraft. Wrenching for yourself is fine but what I learned wrenching I though I love motorcycles I do not want a shop (so my home shop is better equipped and I wrench only my own and a few bros rides) and that I rather like cars and trucks I was wise to spend most of my working life fixing fighters. I would rather swap an F-16 engine than many modern car drivetrains and much prefer everything about aircraft.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just start somewhere. Most "mechanics" these days are glorified part swappers. They don't know fricking shit about cars or what the problem is.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

1. Work on cars
    2. Get good/experienced doing the work people will pay to have done on their car
    3. Do that work in exchange for money

you can be entirely self employed as a mechanic

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

A dream of mine was to own a little garage and just work for myself but there's so much fricking red tape when opening up a business. The system is heavily against small businesses.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Funny how they do this, too. Often times, they create law and policy around regulating large businesses and corporations, but large businesses are the only ones with enough funds and capital to meet said stringent requirements and turn a profit otherwise. It's a never ending cycle of strengthening large corporations and creating more and more difficult business ownership requirements to squeeze the little guy.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous
        • 2 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/BUlMorP.jpg

I've thought about a few other small business I could do, but again all the bullshit behind it. A friend told me to just DEW it his hearts in the right place but holy frick it's a huge gamble

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't.
    Pursue a better job

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Avoid schools because it's a waste of time, money, and student ASE's don't mean anything without experience. Dealerships are horrible environments that just want factory workers to push out as many cars as possible. There's little room to grow and improve unless they have some sort of apprenticeship program. Nobody wants to help each other or answer questions because that results in time and money lost on jobs. It's better to just learn on your own time watching YouTube videos or find a nice local independent shop. I just left my dealership because the scheduling is so fricked up having us do over 100 cars each day with less than 8 techs. They told me I would be going from hourly to flag to "motivate" me to work harder to make more money so I just said frick that and left.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>notice gas station in town with a garage
    >walk in there and tell em I want to pump gas while I go to community college
    >pump gas and be generally white and respectable
    >offered a mechanics position and have been there ever since

It's really that simple

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

t. 1965

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Only two years ago

Oregon communist detected.

Nope just Jersey where you don't have to deal with morons fricking up the equipment and parking at the god damn pumps

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Oregon communist detected.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>pump gas
      you mean people where you live are too moronic to fill up their own cars?

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Trade school/community college then apply for municiple positions. This doesn't just apply to auto & truck/bus mechanics. Plumbers, HVAC, welders, equipment operators, municple airport techs, etc., In the US, many state & local municipalities are looking for tradesmen to replace retirees.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

get a ratty rundown car/bike and put it in mechanically perfect shape, then drive it to job interview to show that you know your way around wrenching.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The job market atm is shit, you'll have jobs which are like $9 an hour for cleaning and they'll want you to have been a cleaner for a decade

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The job market is shit unless it's a trade. However these companies are getting stricter with their no drug policies so it's practically impossible for these companies to hire anyone with experience

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Good, what I do on my own time is my business and all it does is nab weed users.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I had a hard time figuring that out as well. I ended up having to join the military as a mechanic, then got out with some mechanic experience on my resume got hired at a dealership immediately

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just start doing crap

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I realized a long time ago that depending on an employer is not the way up, I bought a beat up shitbox and used it to learn, I fixed and upgraded almost everything, including installing the full oem ac system and doing the bodywork/paint. In the end I started offering bodywork/paint/ac services out of my garage, it didn't take long to start making way more money than what I could make being a wagie
    Living in a place with little to no regulations helped tho

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

do it like everybody else, NEET and fix the cars of friends and family for cash

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *