Lada Niva

I'm going to buy a Lada Niva because it's basically the opposite of a modern car. Does anyone here have experience with them?

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Just buy a jimny. Its a new car straight out of the 2000s and actually bulletproof unlike that Slavic pos

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

don't like the jimny

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

don't like the jimny

where I live Samurais/Jimnies are considered classic collector cars going so far as being car clubs for them. If it wasn't for US gov safety regs cucking us, Suzuki would make a killing selling the frick outta them here in this Hispanic island. I know I'd get one. They still sell them in Italy last I checked.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>Does anyone here have experience with them?
    Yes. It's a underpowered horribly built piece of shit with panel gaps that you can fist.
    It also starts to rust the second it leaves the assembly line.
    The only reason to own of these is if you live in Russia where spare parts pretty much grow on trees and repairs cost a bottle of vodka or if you really hate yourself and want to infuse every moment of your existence with suffering.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

If Cuba can run '57 Belairs with boat engines I don't see why one of these things couldn't be modified as the years go on to keep it on the road and improve it.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

looks like a skill issue

Just buy a jimny. Its a new car straight out of the 2000s and actually bulletproof unlike that Slavic pos

[...]
      where I live Samurais/Jimnies are considered classic collector cars going so far as being car clubs for them. If it wasn't for US gov safety regs cucking us, Suzuki would make a killing selling the frick outta them here in this Hispanic island. I know I'd get one. They still sell them in Italy last I checked.

suzuki got inspired by the niva to build the jimny

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

>suzuki got inspired by the niva to build the jimny
        lmao

• 7 days ago
          Anonymous
          • 7 days ago
            Anonymous

Anon, the samurai is jimny's second gen , and the jimny has like a decade longer history than the niva
            If the Jimny was inspired by anything, than it has to be the steyr-puch they bought for the sole purpose of studying it

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

Wikipedia says
            >The Lada Niva is the world's first mass-produced off-road vehicle with a unibody construction (fully integrated body and frame). It is the predecessor of current crossover SUVs, most of which are built similarly. It was part inspiration for the Suzuki Vitara.
            Which actually makes a lot more sense, not just bc of the timeline but also since a Vitara is about the same size and shares the unibody/independent front axle layout

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

>Vitara
            That i can actually believe
            Makes men wonder wtf is even written in the book that both those quotes cite as the source

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

My guess is the book just mentioned something like a "compact Suzuki SUV" because the Vitara was sold under so many names, and whoever edited the wiki article got confused

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>since a Vitara is about the same size and shares the unibody/independent front axle layout
            Only since 2005 or so
            First and second gen Vitaras were body on frame

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

>suzuki got inspired by the niva to build the jimny
        lmao

I wonder what soldiers and outdoorsmen drove around in before Jeeps were invented?

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

>I wonder what soldiers and outdoorsmen drove around in before Jeeps were invented?
          When there's no proper roads every car is an offroader

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

nobody wants to drive that pos

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

Same with Nivas. Point is, Despite being a "shit-box" it well suited the US Army's needs during WWII and other countries took note and made their own home-grown Jeeps (i.e. Jimny, Niva etc).

https://i.imgur.com/Zir92Fn.jpeg

>I wonder what soldiers and outdoorsmen drove around in before Jeeps were invented?
            When there's no proper roads every car is an offroader

Those old cars hit my minimalism fetish so hard. The closest that comes to that experience are UTVs but they suck for DD'ing and they you have to pay a "rice-tax" on them because spic-Black folk here drive the frick outta them.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

To frick around? Everyone would do it. But as a daily driver it's dumb af, it was designed to go from A to B in the field after it got airdropped and the soldiers could assemble it from the wooden box in 4 minutes, everything else like comfort and safety was ignored

Tbh assembling any car in 4 minutes and drive it around is fun af who could hate an off roader like that

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

>Tbh assembling any car in 4 minutes and drive it around is fun af who could hate an off roader like that
            Sounds like a grand time.

>But as a daily driver it's dumb af
            That sucks cause a DIY all-terrain kit car yiu could DD would be my dream car.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

>What did they drive before pre ww1 shitboxes
          A horse

3. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

if you want to learn to wrench it's not a bad choice
    the parts are cheap and you'll learn to replace shit repeatedly that you wouldn't touch with other cars once during their lifetime
    don't expect it to be a reliable DD though, there's a reason they got replaced by jimnys (or fronteras) instantly the moment every hunter i know could lay their hands on one

4. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

just go for it if you arent a baby wrenchlet.
    Dont forget to undercoat it as well as fill the hidden cavity spaces with oil and grease.

5. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

The niva was very popular in the 90s in my rural corner of yuropooristan. It was probably the cheapest decent offroader that money could buy and it was a hit with people that had hobbies related with wilderness like hunting or mountain trekking. It was the most uncomfortable car I have ever had the displeasure of traveling with. I feel genuinely sorry for people that had/have to DD it. As far as I can remember they weren't as horribly unreliable as people here make them to be but they were far from earning the "reliable" title. Still they were very cheap to own even if the guzzled petrol like there was no tomorrow. In the aughts they were replaced by the daihatsu terios which was a far better vfm and you could actually DD it without being a masochist. When the terios was discontinued that market switched to the jimny until Euro-6d made it available as a commercial vehicle only. You can still buy a 4th gen Jimny used if you are willing to fork over 30k+(!) euroshekels for it. I wonder what is going to replace the jimny as the cheap offroader for hobbyists. The dacia duster is not really an off-road vehicle. The niva is still available surprisingly. Maybe its going to make a comeback.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

From what I've heard, this.
      The only people who drive Ladas either have no choice or are LARPers. There's much better out there. Even for a "shit" car they're unforgivably shit.

6. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Always funny with morons worshipping slavic shit
    Its doesnt have any gizmos because slavs just couldnt make them
    Its not reliable so they just made a billion of everything so you can replace everything when it will break

7. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, it's a fairly simple car, but due to being AWD everything under the engine is really cramped. You have to drop the front diff and subframe just top get the oil pan out for example.
    Rust is the biggest issue, being an unibody crossover. The front spring mounts tend to rust out along with the rear axle support beam mounts.
    The electronics are also pretty damn shit even by Soviet standards, the ignition locks are prone to shit out even when brand new, although that's an issue with Ladas and Zhigulis in general.

The engine is also quite underpowered for the AWD system, so it tends to jutter and struggle along even on the slightest inclines.
    Also a fuel hog, I went from a 3 litre straight 6 jap truck to a Niva, thinking a dinky 1.6 litre 4 banger would barely sip on fuel, was surprised that my weekly fuel bill is actually more than with the jap truck.

8. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Pro
    You can fix them with bullshit tools, they used to come with a full set, maybe it still has them
    It's rugged so you can hose it down if you want to get rid of mud if you went off roading with it
    You can get the upgrade kit from Lada to get it from 1700cc to 1950cc plus brake system, alternators and whatever the frick you want for interior, like any other car
    It includes a seat warmer but that's just basic, a 30 buck one from Amazon works the same

Cons

It's slow af, about 15s to go from 0-100
    It burns a lot of fuel because it's not efficient, the 4 wheel drive is constant and cannot be turned into a 4x2 unless you modify it, which has a kit to do so but Lada engineers advice you shouldn't because it actually makes it less efficient because they design it to keep going at 4x4 constantly so poor Soviet guys could afford a cheap reliable 4x4
    It's loud af, revs a lot but doesn't move much. You can add sound and weather insulation to fix that though, stock is essentially bare metal and plastic
    It smells like fuel is leaking but that's the seals leaving fumes to get out, I don't remember what Lada recommended to do about it
    It really depends on location for spare parts, the closer you are to Russia the cheaper it will get but now due to the war Lada doesn't sell in a lot of countries anymore (Renault bought about half of them but they re sold it back for 1 USD because muh political pressure)

Honestly if you want an off grid 4x4 the Niva is GOAT, if you want an off roader for your farm and have fun to go get a Jimny

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Oh the 4x2 inefficiency was due to being designed to move constantly at 4x4 so by reducing it to only two wheels to do the entire job the driver tends to accelerate to get the same response, burning more fuel despite the reason to go 4x2 was to save fuel making it a waste of money in the end. I remember reading a Lada advisory on this but ofc if you wanna do it anyway, you can.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

>It's rugged so you can hose it down if you want to get rid of mud if you went off roading with it
      Can't you do that with like any car?

Oh the 4x2 inefficiency was due to being designed to move constantly at 4x4 so by reducing it to only two wheels to do the entire job the driver tends to accelerate to get the same response, burning more fuel despite the reason to go 4x2 was to save fuel making it a waste of money in the end. I remember reading a Lada advisory on this but ofc if you wanna do it anyway, you can.

Saw people with 242 model transfer cases (mostly in Jeeps) reporting that the difference between RWD and AWD mode is like 0.5-1 liter per 100 km. That's out of 10-15 l/100 km total.

• 6 days ago
      civil engineering stud

>It burns a lot of fuel because it's not efficient, the 4 wheel drive is constant and cannot be turned into a 4x2 unless you modify it, which has a kit to do so but Lada engineers advice you shouldn't because it actually makes it less efficient because they design it to keep going at 4x4 constantly so poor Soviet guys could afford a cheap reliable 4x4
      Pretty sure what actually happens is fuel efficiency barely improves but the U-joint breaks under the extra load.
      There was a Spanish kit called the Promolada. Problem is, it cuts the power to the front wheels but the front transmission still moves because of the road so it sucks some of the power since it doesn't have locking hubs.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *