learning stick

Something that is getting me is how slow it is to physically shift gears compared to a motorcycle and how shifting fast doesn't put any strain on the components, the opposite actually, it all clicks into place at just the right moment.

I try to apply gentle pressure and not force the shifter. On upshifts the revs have often dropped too much and I practically need to blip the throttle for the *upshift*. On downshifts I often blip too early (while crossing neutral - pointless since I'm not double clutching) and then have to blip again while I'm releasing the clutch.
Should I be more forceful with the shifter or is this just the way it is? People talk about how the synchro should sort of suck the gear into place and I feel that but it's soooo slooooow.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Let's say normal driving I'm making a turn onto a residential street and want to go from 3rd to 2nd. Do people actually heel toe in this situation? Again on my motorcycle I'd just rev bomb into 2nd cause it works and is fun, but doesn't feel right for normal chill driving.
    >shift to 2nd before the turn
    too slow this will induce road rage and tailgaters
    >shift to 2nd before the turn with heel toe
    this has gotta be the most in control
    >take it in 3rd
    my engine makes a horrible clicking noise too close to 1k rpm
    >clutch in or neutral the turn, downshift after
    meh it works in a pinch but I know it's terrible

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>shift to 2nd before the turn
      >too slow this will induce road rage and tailgaters
      ??
      You're too slow and who the frick cares, if you're in a M/T all other road peasants can be ignored

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Shift to the correct gear BEFORE making the turn. Nobody cares, unless you drive among subhumans.

Thanks guys just checking because there's an abundance of bad information out there.

Is it normal for the shifter to feel so slow? Should I be more forceful? It feels weird crossing neutral almost like it's two shifts (I guess it is).

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

??? what is this video
          don't turn with the clutch disengaged

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>It feels weird crossing neutral almost like it's two shifts
          Your guess is correct, There is a shift out of the old gear, then a shift into the new gear. That said, it sounds like you're just shifting really slowly, which is not uncommon for newbies, and a lot more cost effective than the other error of shifting too quickly. Just keep driving it, and you'll eventually figure out how your gearbox likes to be handled. I've been driving M/T since 1980, and when I buy a new car there's still a bit of time to get acclimated to the new clutch and transmission, it's just part of the process.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Shift to the correct gear BEFORE making the turn. Nobody cares, unless you drive among subhumans.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Lmao what
      Downshift to second before the turn with a good revmatch, brake and take the turn
      there's no way you're going to be slowing down to 10mph to take the turn... right?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I just find the turn sneaks up on me before I had time to do all that. When approaching stop signs I've just approached in 3rd until practically stopped then clutch in. I know that's a similar bad habit. Alright I'll have to practice 3rd to 2nd a lot more and not be lazy. I know I should be doing it at stops too, so that's a bit less stressful than preparing to take a turn.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Nah, when you are coming to a stop sign it's fine to just coast in 3rd until you pop it into neutral and fully stop. No need to put extra wear on your clutch and syncros if not needed.
          Regarding the turns, you'll get used to it and start shifting and revmatching faster. Sometimes I'll brake a bit, then downshift to 2nd and proceed with the turn. It all depends on traffic conditions, size of the turn, speed at which you're approaching etc. just give it some time and real world driving and it will become second nature to you

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Ok thanks for the tips anon

I just downshift mid-turn if required

Right I generally try to avoid it, but it's necessary sometimes and fine if you rev match correctly.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I just downshift mid-turn if required

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Shift to second before turn
      >This is too slow

You realize the car won't break if you use the whole tachometer, right?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

in the vast majority of cars you can't heel toe properly unless you are hard on the brakes because of the pedal spacing (accelerator is further forward than the brake) so just forget about doing it on the street
      depending on the distance and how fast I plan to turn, I will either
      brake->downshift->turn
      downshift->brake->turn
      downshift mid corner

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wtf is wrong with you Americans???? 99% of cars in Africa are manual and even Africans have no problem driving them. I guess you find it difficult because vidya and movies fried your brains so you want to do moronic things like heel and toeing, double clutching and left food braking. All this stupid crap isn't needed for driving on the road.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Wtf is wrong with you Americans
      The empowerment and independence of women
      >even Africans have no problem driving them
      African men, yes

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Op here. I just went out for more practice. No more issues doing 3rd to 2nd I was just being a pussy about rev matching I guess.
      >tfw almost money shift going from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th
      >ratio is close enough that it's no big deal
      Still feel weird using a shifter can't let that happen again.

>Wtf is wrong with you Americans
      The empowerment and independence of women
      >even Africans have no problem driving them
      African men, yes

*laughs in german*

we wuz drivers

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

we iz drivers
        you aren't

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

*laughs in german*

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ah yes, the muslims of Europe. Of course you drive like bellends.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *