Learning to Drive Stick During a Test Drive kek

How do you learn to drive stick if you dont know anyone who has one? I want to buy a manual car, but I don't want to learn literally during my test drive. I can operate a motorcycle clutch, so I'm sure it's not too difficult, but still.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

youtube videos and just driving around until you get the hang of it. that's what i did after manual swapping my car having never driven a manual ever.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I dont have one bro. It feels wrong to buy a car without test driving it, but idk how I'm going to learn before test driving?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

welp, the only other thing i can suggest is buy some absolute beater of a shitbox that has a manual and then practicing with that. you mentioned that you used a bike clutch before, i've never driven a bike before but i believe the skill will carry over quite well to car driving

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Perhaps you can rent one. I don't think many places carry manual vehicles though.
        Or you could get some sort of driving lesson from a school for a couple hours to get the hang of it.
        If its a new car you could test drive the automatic version to see if you like it, you would not really need to test drive the manual.
        If its cheap used, then maybe you just accept a certain amount of risk with not test driving, but would not recommend that. Thats what I did.

It's not possible. You need to drive a manual car in order to learn manual, even to a basic level. You WILL stall and look stupid if you just rely on YouTube videos alone and go to a dealership to test drive.
        For me I just bought my first manual car without test driving (lol).
        On the other hand, I have never driven a motorcycle before, so maybe it's really similar, I have no idea.

There's not really any good solution.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's not possible. You need to drive a manual car in order to learn manual, even to a basic level. You WILL stall and look stupid if you just rely on YouTube videos alone and go to a dealership to test drive.
    For me I just bought my first manual car without test driving (lol).
    On the other hand, I have never driven a motorcycle before, so maybe it's really similar, I have no idea.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just get your dad to teach you lol

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

buy the shittiest used manual car you can find as cheap as possible. learn how to drive without fear of nuking the clutch. after about 2-4 weeks, you'll be a competent manual transmission operator, if you aren't moronic

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I can operate a motorcycle clutch, so I'm sure it's not too difficult, but still.
      kek, i missed this part. you'll be fine

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it only took me about 20 mins for using the clutch to "click" on a motorcycle, I did buy it without a test ride. I kept stalling for a couple weeks, but that stopped when I replaced the air filter, cleaned/tuned/balanced the carbs, sparks, etc. I guess I'm gonna have to get a car that I can't test drive. Maybe I can get my dad or someone to test drive for me?

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>get into car
    >stall
    >stall
    >chirp the tires
    >drive 600km to get home.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'll plan ahead to make sure theres no sloped stops

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

for better or worse, new "manual" cars nowadays have hill assist so you don't immediately start rolling backwards when you release the brake

Last year was also the last chance to get a manual BRZ/GR86 without driver assist emergency brake, cruise control, etc nanny tech, again on a manual car somehow
        The Civic SI even has a rev match assist

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

the other week some homosexual gimp at work was trying to tell me about auto rev matching like it's some revolutionary feature, he was acting like they had just invented cold fusion
          i hope no one uses that shit seriously because its embarassing

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i know someone who ordered a manual BRZ without test driving it and then learned off youtube
    stalled 10+ times on the way home but learned fast at least. I bought mine blind too but I started with a manual shitbox as my first car for a few years

I will say though, newer cars with the weird clutch springs make them feel like you're driving on a racing sim setup
    you could probably buy a $500 rig (that logitech wheel+pedals+gear kit off amazon) and play assetto corsa
    it'd feel the same as a new BRZ/GR86 clutch pedal with how numb the clutch pedal feels on the real car (I got used to it and I don't feel like I need to take off the clutch spring now) I ended up stalling a couple times on my new BRZ anyways on my first drive home until I got used to relying only on the visual/motion cues instead

7. 2 months ago
    god

its the simplest shit in the world. ill make it as easy as possible.
    ok you have go pedal to the far right. brake pedal to the middle. and then we have the clutch on the left. its default unpressed position means that the engine and transmission are fully connected. when the clutch is pressed in it means the engine and transmission are disconnected from each other. in order to change gears you have to disconnect the engine from the transmission or else all the bits and pieces mesh into each other and explode and your whole drivetrain is fricked. anyho so youre pressing the clutch pedal down, putting the shift knob into the gear you want it to be in, then pulling your foot up off the clutch pedal. in 1st gear you need to modulate your clutch pedal letoff, as simply pulling your foot off the clutch pedal while starting in 1st gear from 0 mph will stall your engine due to the overwhelming sudden draw. so you need to kind of pull your clutch pedal foot up about halfway or so when starting from 1st gear at 0 mph. after that shifting gears is just clutch in, change gear, clutch out. you need to be at the right speeds though. its different for every car but generally its 1st gear is good up to 20mph, 2nd up to 40mph, 3rd up to 60mph, 4th up to 80mph, 5th 100mph+. but listen to your engine and if it doesnt feel right dont run it a certain way

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>pay for car first
    >”test drive” it with previous owner next
    that’s how

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm not moronic so it was easy to learn the fundamentals. Practice on the other hand, always takes some real time because you'll never encounter every driving situation quickly when first learning.

OP what I would do is watch some short videos on understanding the clutch pedal, then on your first try put the car in first and attempt to get it rolling without using the gas. This is to learn where your clutch pedal's engagement range is. If you can learn to be gentle enough, you should be able to slip the clutch until 1st gear achieves it's natural idle speed. From there practice how to use the throttle gently and then applying the clutch faster. After that it's all about learning the RPM differences between the gears, and practicing how to work the clutch without FULL SEND dumping on gear changes. You do want to have some amount of time/smooth application on gear shifts no matter how good you get the RPMS to prevent jerky/shudders/unbalancing.
    Also, avoid shifting through turns as much as possible. It's a very bad habit. You always want the gear you need for the turn/accelerating out of a turn preselected. This is a standard advice for racing technique - chirping tires through a turn causes crashes.

I also don't recommend floating gears, total meme to get tryhards to blow out their synchros/gear teeth. You -CAN- float shifts but you need to have the RPMs nearly perfect like plus or minus 25RPM from ideal or you're just frying the synchros/risking gear teeth sheared off.

Thanks for watching my Ted Talk homosexual.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

what are the differences in operating a clutch on a car vs a motorcycle? anything that just straight up works differently

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

same principle applies in theory but it really depends on the type of bike and conditions

you can powershift, that is not lifting the throttle and working the clutch as fast as you can change the gears, in all vehicles

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Pedal VS lever. And stick VS kick shift
        The transmission itself shifts differently. The ratios are different, there's no chains, Instead of a sequential kick shift, you have an H pattern with a reverse. Instead of the dog box, you have synchronizers.

And of course cars have 1 pedal for all 4 brakes, and a pedal for throttle. So its usually way easier than driving a motorcycle.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

He was asking if anything was significantly different with shifting, not if the clutch was a handlebar lever and you shifted the sequential with your foot.

what are the differences in operating a clutch on a car vs a motorcycle? anything that just straight up works differently

Allright there is one significant thing, bike transmissions go 1>Nuetral>2>3>4>5>6, and yes you can't immediately go from say 6th to 2nd, you have to kick the gears back 4 times. But that's really the only difference in shifting a car or bike.

I honestly handled my first motorcycle way easier than my first car. Car clutch pedals all suck ass there are huge deadzones, on a bike the clutch lever should ideally be perfectly on/off. It was much easier for me to use.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>He was asking if anything was significantly different with shifting, not if the clutch was a handlebar lever and you shifted the sequential with your foot

Those are the most significant differences to the driver. While obvious, that is the answer to the question

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Buy a tractor and learn clutch control first

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Learning to drive manual means you're a car enthusiast by association, even if you only currently drive a shit box. And if you're a car enthusiast, then that means $100 is pocket change to you. Do a google map search of your local area for manual car lessons and go over the user reviews. You get access to a training friendly manual car, a teacher in realtime, and the expectation that you're allowed to stall and burn the clutch a little bit.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what's that pedal to the right of the accel?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

speed pedal

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

moron or bait

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Are you in the US? Just go to carmax and ask someone to help you out. Unironically would shill carmax all day for test driving and nice staff.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yea carmax is great, they've covered something that wasn't technically under their warranty twice and paid the tow truck, super convenient every time

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you know how the motorcycle clutch work you just know how it does with car. Its just that your left leg does the job.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>easy to learn
    >varies on car by car basis
    fine clutch control is more of a feeling thing you get with experience

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I watched a bunch of youtube videos and then bought a brand new manual. It's totally fine. Don't worry about it.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You look for someone who does lessons.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>drive stick
    Goddamnit america

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it harks back to our primeval instincts to poke at things with a stick

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I did. Drove a 6 speed turbo cruze with a wastegate that some gay car salesman was trying to sell me for 30 minutes, got a hang of it, then bought a 6 speed mustang. is pree ez.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The first time I drove stick it was in a tourist stock car experience at Daytona.
    I was 19 and lied my way in, though in reality I had never touched a clutch before, pedal or otherwise.
    But I had read about how they worked and also muh Asian Cartoons so I knew in theory.

Long story short, just don't be moronic.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do you know anyone who knows how to drive manual cars? Take him for a test drive, buy it if you like it and your dude says it's good, then learn. Shit's piss easy, believe me, my general thinking here is that if an average european teenage girl can learn manual and pass a driving test after 30h of driving lessons, you can do the same or better within same timeframe

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

In the same exact boat, which is why I ended up with my automatic ND2 Miata. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems like a pretty decent auto transmission (especially in sport mode). Still has "manual" mode so I can shift my own gears when I want and I can engine brake when needed. Also my daily work commute is zero fun whatsoever so it'd be a slog in a manual. One day if I can afford a second car for the weekends I definitely want a manual.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *