Legitimately curious about the anti-armor capabilities of a smaller APC or even armored car such as this M1117 Guardian with a 90 mm gun.

Legitimately curious about the anti-armor capabilities of a smaller APC or even armored car such as this M1117 Guardian with a 90 mm gun.
Continuation of this thread

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

wtard thread
    hidden

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Who

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

schizo moron

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They fill a middle ground no one really needs. Not enough to compete with real tanks, but not significantly better than an autocannon/atgm combo to be worth the effort.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The wienererill 90mm uses M620A1 HEAT with ~300mm penetration and M652A1 APFSDS-T with about 250-270mm penetration at 90° impact. Those are both enough to kill anything less than an MBT from most angles, though heavier armored IFVs that get hit in the side at steeper angles would still be protected from that HEAT round. It's basically more than enough to kill IFVs, but then again so is an autocannon with modern ammo.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Essentially irrelevant, the last time a 90mm gun was used in a mainly AT capacity was like 1950, there are no 90mm APFSDS as far as I know, so you're stuck with low velocity HEAT, which would barely scratch the paint on every modern MBT and would only be able to damage lightly armored IFVs, stuff like PUMA, CV90, even uparmord Bradleys and BMPs could tank it.

You'd be better off using a 76mm as various modern APFSDS have been designed for that caliber, but then you lose HE capacity.

Why not use glorious 122mm HEAT for 500mm+ penetration? The size is particular to the D-30 having extremely low recoil for it's size but still it fits.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It would be mostly pointless because most modern MBTs are going to have 650mm+ HEAT protection against most threats from the frontal 30 degree arc. The only benefit you get out of a 122mm over something like the low pressure wienererill Mk.3 is more explosive payload which is better for fire support against non-MBT targets. In exchange, you get a gun with much more limited platform usage since it can't be mounted on something small like an M1117, and you also get significantly less ammo that can be carried. Overall it's a bad choice unless you're looking for a vehicle that can provide fire support AND you have the logistics to maintain something like a Stryker for that purpose.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Figured as much. D-30 is great but the whole 'low recoil' aspect kinda prohibits any real use of penetrators, as far as i can tell no one has even bothered trying to make one. So the only real advantage is big gun on smaller vehicles and the fact that it already comes with a 360 degree mount.

So the Nork Striker is probably acceptable for anything besides an actual tank. It looks like it only holds 6-8 ready rounds so it drives up, boom boom boom then runs away.

The co axial AGL doesn't seem like a bad idea if only so you don't waste the main gun on smaller targets and suppressing infantry while you blast whatever the primary target is.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Figured as much. D-30 is great but the whole 'low recoil' aspect kinda prohibits any real use of penetrators, as far as i can tell no one has even bothered trying to make one. So the only real advantage is big gun on smaller vehicles and the fact that it already comes with a 360 degree mount.

So the Nork Striker is probably acceptable for anything besides an actual tank. It looks like it only holds 6-8 ready rounds so it drives up, boom boom boom then runs away.

The co axial AGL doesn't seem like a bad idea if only so you don't waste the main gun on smaller targets and suppressing infantry while you blast whatever the primary target is.

I wonder if HESH would be more useful than HEAT. Neither will penetrate a modern tank frontally but i feel like HESH would do alot more damage to sensors, ERA ect than HEAT while still being quite useful against buildings and the like.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Essentially irrelevant, the last time a 90mm gun was used in a mainly AT capacity was like 1950, there are no 90mm APFSDS as far as I know, so you're stuck with low velocity HEAT, which would barely scratch the paint on every modern MBT and would only be able to damage lightly armored IFVs, stuff like PUMA, CV90, even uparmord Bradleys and BMPs could tank it.

You'd be better off using a 76mm as various modern APFSDS have been designed for that caliber, but then you lose HE capacity.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Welp I stand corrected

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>the last time a 90mm gun was used in a mainly AT capacity was like 1950
      Laughs in M48

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>You'd be better off using a 76mm

This but unironically

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

South Africa used 90mm HEAT on their ratels to ambush t55s in their border wars. I don’t disagree with its uselessness in an AT role against modern MBTs tho. But it could lob some solid HE. An autocannon Or 105mm would be a better bet however.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The guardian was perfect with the m2 and mk19 turret. I struggle to see the utility of a 90mm turret other than using at as a poor man’s m10 booker. 90mm is probably good enough for use as an assault gun punching holes into concrete buildings

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>poor man’s m10 booker
      Ahem:

https://i.imgur.com/EpKPSMK.jpg

[...]
      Why not use glorious 122mm HEAT for 500mm+ penetration? The size is particular to the D-30 having extremely low recoil for it's size but still it fits.

A D-30 bolted to a fancy BTR with a knock off soviet naval loader sounds pretty cheap.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Btw do we have any news about the American M1117s that were promised to Ukraine? Haven't heard about them for a while

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The purpose of a 90mm gun is for dictators too small/poor to have tanks who want a turnkey solution to oppress moronic rebels. They get a bulletproof car for their gendarmarie which can roll up to a compound where the rebels armed with a few stolen AKs are surrounded by cops, blow up some cinderblock houses, and go home to the barracks afterward.
    Basically the mission of a Carl Gustav on a vehicle. Like an uparmored Humvee/MRAP supplement. It's great for a very limited mission.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Mexico is looking to upgrade their ERC90 recom fsv with new optics and the ability to fire the Falarick gun launched 90mm ATGM. I think it'd really only be able to penetrate stuff like mid range infantry fighting vehicles or maybe older slavshit frim the sides. I don't understand why they don't just buy a proper 8x8 with a big gun like the Centauro though.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>remove big stupid gun
    >add atgm
    >???
    >profit

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *