LHD to RHD

Is it really such a big deal? What does have to change?
>Steering wheel to right hand drive version
>Steering Rack?
>switch around suspension and drive shafts
>turn gear lever around

That's all I can think about.
In fact I don't even want to necessarily do all that. I will be only 1 on the car so thought of doing something like OP pic
Link to how easy it works here

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>surprise old lady jaywalks in front of you
    >ABS panic brake
    >mickey mouse pedal linkage snaps
    >???
    >profit

Verification not required.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It''s a huuuuuuge fricking undertaking.
    A professional steering conversion runs like $50k in Australia.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

WTF do you do about the interior. Spend hundreds of hours hacking up and refinishing like any other dash mod?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

These days they make a brand new dash.
        In the old days you'd either make something similar fit, or hack it up. I had a RHD 79 Impala that was converted in the 80's and they basically cut the dash into 5 sections, swapped the steering side over to the passenger side, and glued it all together and prettied it up. After 30 years you could very obviously see cracks and shit.
        The pedals were basically cut under the dash, and welded onto a pipe to bring them over the other side, some time in the 90s I believe they changed the laws which meant the booster had to be moved to the right side too.
        The steering column was moved to the right side, and they either flipped the original box, or used one of of a Holden. The whole this was pretty sketchy, the wheel sat closer to the dash, and the lower radiator hose came out right where the box was.
        I've heard they use to do "chain" steering conversions at some point, so leave the column and cut it off in the cab, run a chain and sprocket to the other side, but I've personally never seen one irl, even on cars with the booster still on the left.

During the 2000's they got more professional, but most conversions still had all the driver's luxury controls still on the left, like for all the windows, seat adjustments, etc.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

WTF do you do about the interior. Spend hundreds of hours hacking up and refinishing like any other dash mod?

You do this. Very based. Watch it

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>australian car video
        >motorcycle engines and nuclear attack alarm starts blaring in the background

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Don’t know why this is a thing, but in some European countries the fire alarm siren(like the one in the video) goes off at 12 on Sundays

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

this looks like an anxiety dream waiting to happen

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

?si=Z6VmeEpGAqXpYJoy&t=49

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

...and then they complain that the truck ends up costing $120k.+
      just give up on driverthoughs. Or take a passenger. Or go through backwards.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's literally the law

• 3 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

>i took a giant piece of shit and made it a giant rhd piece of shit
      congrats straya

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dashboard, steering rack, brake lines, as well as anything else that might interfere with the new locations of the pedal box, steering column etc.
    That's the reason the original Twingo was never made in RHD, you'd have to mirror the entire engine bay because the packaging is so much tighter than in the Clio.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just reach across from the other side
    Or buy an old Motoring School car

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Left hand drive is super gay and the rear view mirrors are always fricked.
    Why can't the world just switch to RHD. All the best countries and cars are RHD

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It is better to put up with it being on the wrong side or find a model which was made in your side of choice from the start

t. Driven LHD cars in the UK on and off for years

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Unfortunately in AUS it's the mandatory, all cars under X years old must be converted to RHD if you want to register them. Most states it's 25 years, previously 30, they lowered it after local manufacturing died a few years back. Also dropped the "anything" import law age nationally from 30 to 25 years, which was neat.

It's fricking gay and ruins cars, and then if you find an old car later on in life, chances are it's probably an old import, and thus ruined with a steering conversion.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Did you never lose which side you were meant to be on and almost cause an accident
      Why did you have left hand drive in UK. Where did you source from

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>lose which side you were meant to be on
        Reminds me of motorised bicycles, never, ever try to lane split in a car. Unless you have flashy lights and sirens.
        Once in a while I would go for a handlebar width gap and then notice that there was a whole person along side me.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've done a RHD conversion with my friend, it sucks and runs up a tab quick. There is basically no situation where it is worth it unless it involves a car that your dad and you worked on together or some shit. In 99 cases out of 100 that car is available in your steering orientation in another market, just import.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

that is so fricking ghetto but if it works it works

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's this obsession with RHD? Is it weebletshit?

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I drive a RHD to LHD swapped car. It's very common in my country, and there are far less accidents involving JDM cars compared to local LATAM cars, at least per capita.
    >Is it really such a big deal? What does have to change?
    Can be, can be not. The car must undergo some substantial changes and those changes are more radical the more you want the car to be properly adjusted. My car for example retains its RHD wiper set up, as well as the headlight set up. The fuel door handle is located on the passenger side, meaning I have to put my head between my passenger's legs if I refill. Hot.
    >Steering wheel to right hand drive version
    Not really.
    >Steering Rack?
    Worst case scenario it can be inverted through some modding. In my case it has been reliable enough, steering is still quite precise, though it has a few problems with rigidity at low speeds (it's hard to turn the wheel, then a tad bit softer when it reaches a bigger angle)
    >switch around suspension and drive shafts
    Not needed.
    >turn gear lever around
    Not needed.

THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST challenge: The fricking wiring. Some cars end up in flames here because of that. The wiring is a huge pain in the ass and it's rarely done well (I had to spend quite a lot to get my wiring redone)
    Then there's the AC. For some reason (can't quite remember why) they get fricked up, the auto function stops working properly, and you have to re do the tubes, but that's easy.
    And by the way, my car's dashboard is made of putty and this weird faux letter, but it's cool.

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What about cars with both RHD and LHD from factory. all Euro and British Cars.
    I wonder why someone like Audi make it ao difficult for themselves having 2 types of everything. Manufacture it so all that changes is modular and easy to switch around

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Volkswagen employee here. I work for the plant in Chattanooga and the reason it's that way is because the entire unibody of the car is spot welded together (VW is also the only car company in the world to laser weld the roof to the body with what is essentially a brazing compound). In plants that produce RHD vehicles, anything that has to do with seat placement or the dashboard is mirrored from the LHD stamped steel parts.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

So it is easy to swap on these vehicles
        Or not?
        You didn't explain it well enough to me, a moron

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It's not easy at all. LHD and RHD cars have a lot of fundamental differences.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

How little regard do designers and builders of cars give to the maintenance of the cars considering they are going to be worked on by mechanics after they are sold

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Honestly, a lot of it is due to regulations, cost, and management. Engineers and designers do know that certain parts or fasteners will be a b***h to get at but management forces them to put certain common failure parts (such as the alternator) in stupid locations. I know German engineers catch a lot of flak (lol) for designing cars that can't be properly serviced by anyone other than authorized dealers or people that have access to a shop but a lot of them do so because management twists their arm to make it a disposable appliance. A lot of them think it's genuinely wasteful and immoral to intentionally design a car to be harder to service. A lot of employees in management have degrees in ~~*finance*~~ or other related fields that constantly hamstring the VW engineers via penny pinching or red tape. One of the engineers floated the idea of designing and building a truck in the USA utilizing the V10 turbo diesel they crammed into a Touareg years ago with a manual option and twin turbos. Management immediately shot it down because muh EVs are the future. Take a wild guess what isn't selling.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>LHD and RHD cars have a lot of fundamental differences.
            This! There's a lot of subtle differences that go in to the construction of cars.

Most people know that drivers side suspension is stiffer to account for the drivers weight. We understand that a driver adds weight to their vehicle and the suspension needs to account for this.

What most people don't know is that LHD cars are designed with stiffer suspension than those with RHD. Now if you're quick on the uptake it may have clicked but for those who haven't; Countries with RHT typically have a larger BMI than those with LHT. You need to make your suspension stiffer to account for bigger people.

There's a similar thing with closing force on doors:
            The drivers side door sees more use than the passenger door. Obvious.
            Drivers open and close their doors with the same hand as the vehicles drive (LHD=Left hand / RHD=Right hand) Obvious.
            90% of people on the planet are right-handed and their right arm is stronger than their left...
            Therefore doors on the right hand side of the vehicle have to be made 'tougher' to account for them being open and closed with more force.
            There's a lot of science that has gone in to achieving the sound of a door going *thunk* as it shuts. We very closely associate this sound with a vehicles quality, so much so that some manufacturers have added mechanisms designed to alter the sound so that it is more appealing to us.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *