Long term fuel storage

What is the best way to keep gasoline good for long periods of time? Should you stock ethanol free gas or just use fuel stabilizer in regular gas? Is there a reason to use stabilizer in ethanol free gas?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Use fuel stabilizer. Make sure the area you store it in is well ventilated. It doesn't matter what kind of gas you want to store. Yes, use stabilizer in ethanol free gas too.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Plus keep the can away from direct sunlight. Storing below regular room temperature helps ethanol to last longer, kind o.f like you would store alcohol beverages. But just little bit more attention needs the fire safety.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What kind of safety? Is just keeping a can sitting in the garage not enough? Should yoi get a flammable storage cabinet or something?

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Order a barrel of ethanol free 98 octane fuel and leave it sealed till you need it

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A bunch of metal Jerry cans, fuel stabilizer, then just rotate them every couple months or so. I keep ~30 gal of spare gas and just fill my truck with the oldest ones when I need to. Write on them with sharpie the date when they were filled so you remember.

4. 2 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

get a diesel, I have 4 55gal drums for diesel storage
    it stores basically forever long as you keep it sealed and make sure no water gets in
    they are inside my barn so they stay dry and cool

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Whatever you do don't store them in the sun or enclosed spaces unless you have a deathwish

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just went through reading about this best I could. The absolute BEST setup you can use for storage is jerry cans with ethanol free gas and some stabilizer. Now, not all jerry cans are created equal. There are a frickton of cheapo chineseium reproduction jerry cans, they have no liners inside, they have shitty welds and often leak at the seams or puncture because they're thin and shitty. The brands you want are "Wavian" aka "Valpro", a close second is "Gelg". These are the classics, made in the same plants and with good quality control. Wavian/Valpro DOES make the "MIDWEST CAN" brand jerry can at harbor freight but those reportedly have shittier spouts. Now if you can't bring yourself to pay 90 fricking dollars for a gas can to put 50 dollars of gas in it then look at the "VP Racing" jugs. They often come in bundles, you can get them cheap, they have none of the safety horseshit of other gas cans and they can be had for very cheap, sometimes even sub 20 per jug. One note about these though is that some cops are buttholes about non-red gas cans and some pump stations don't let you fill up a can if it's not red. Obviously it's a very low risk thing and you'd be seen so briefly but then again, only ever break one law at a time. Best to not give anyone a reason to inspect you.
    After you've got the stabilized and filled cans just stick them in an ideally well ventilated and cool dark place. The more gas heats up and cools down the more it degrades. Fumes are always a risk but I've used cans of 10 year old gas(ethanol free) and it was still fine. I don't recommend storing gas with ethanol in it at all, even with stabilizer.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Literally nobody is ever, ever going to bother you about your gas can as long as it looks like one. Put a red "GASOLINE ONLY" sticker on it and avoid yellow (diesel) and blue (kerosene) cans if you're really worried.
      I have 8 green Wavian cans and can attest to their quality.
      Spectre Military fuel cans are also very good if you can find them - you probably need to ship them from Canada because CARB is gay, or protip: Spectre Military water cans are very similar in construction. Probably cover the embossed WATER marking on them so you don't have a nice day though.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Adding to that, in Australia green cans are for two stroke fuel.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Literally nobody is ever, ever going to bother you about your gas can as long as it looks like one.
        THAT'S WHERE YOU'RE WRONG KIDDO
        >BOOMERS
        I was taking 6 white VP racing jugs to the gas station and I figured since I had so many to fill I'd do it later a night so I wouldn't be in anyone's way. It's some time past 11PM at this point I pull up to a mostly empty station, pull the jugs out of my car and get to opening them and throwing stabilizer in. The only other person at the gas station was some guy off in the distance power washing the concrete near the building. I got all the lids off, all the stabilizer in and then right after I run my card and start to fill the first can I hear this guy yelling. Since he wasn't under the lights I couldn't see where he was looking, so I didn't respond or anything. Then I hear the compressor shut off for the power washer and he's screaming and coming toward me.
        >YOU CAN'T FILL THOSE WITH GASOLINE
        >Why not?
        >THAT IS ILLEGAL AND YOU'RE GONNA' KILL A FIRE FIGHTER WHO DOESN'T KNOW IT'S GASOLINE
        >I think a firefighter would know a frickin' racing jug was flammable
        >ALRIGHT PAL
        He whips out his phone and calls 911. He wanders off while talking to them, not long later officer shows. The officer tells me to stop, asks for stories. Cop doesn't know what to do but knows it is illegal. The boomer won't frick off with taunts all the while and being chummy with the cop and asking shit like "What does a fine for this run him?" to the point it even annoyed the cop. This guy wanted to be Wormtongue SO BAD. Finally he said I couldn't have them inside the car(jeep cherokee) because I'd suffocate if there were fumes and it was illegal since they weren't red. Boomer got all smug. After a few minutes I pulled out a ratchet strap and asked if it were illegal if I tied them to the top. Boomer was pissed but the cop was over it and said "That's fine for tonight". I finished filling the last jug and left 50 plus minutes after getting there.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Gas the boomers, age war now.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

By a cool dry place do you mean the garage? Is it not safe to keep gas in your attached garage?

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

put your gas in the freezer

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ive ran 8 year old gas on a fresh engine rebuilt in an 80s turbo shitbox.
    ran a bit off, but that could have been the break in. drove 5 miles on it before mixing in fresh gas

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

freeze it

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>the best
    It's not worth the money but since you asked,

The best way to store fuel is to buy 91/93 octane and keep the containers in a climate controlled, extremely low humidity, low temperature (below freezing) pressurized area (pressure above the latent evap point for the grade of fuel at the temp/humidity storage conditions).

Doing so your high octane fuel will still be it's viable octane for 3-5 years and would degrade down to 87 in 15 to 20 years.
    It would cost something like 80 times more per gallon than just buying some 91 octane every couple years.

But you asked, amd that is in fact the best way.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Octane rating ain't a concern and you're a moron.

OP I've ran 10+ year old ethanol fuel in cars sitting in a field that drove off under their own power issue free countless times. It isn't an issue. Throw some fricking ethanol free in cans with stabilizer if you're paranoid but if you're that paranoid you should have a better storage system in place anyways but in reality you'd be running an old mechanical diesel so you can fire it off on anything. Go buy some cans of race gas through VP and chuck em in a cabinet.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

He used the word "ain't" so you know he knows a thing or two about cars and fuel.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I kinda do. 2 of the dailys have carbs, one makes ~550whp, only one vehicle is stock until it sees a built LS swap, and the weekend toy makes 900 on pump 1400 on 116.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The best method is to fill jerry cans, as suggested above with stabiliser also, and then refuel them into your vehicles every year at maximum. I do six monthly.

I have done this for years. Always have around 250L of diesel. I don’t store gasoline because my generator is diesel and the Landcruiser would be the only vehicle I’d need to use the stored fuel for.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *