Maaco: How bad is it?

Have any of you guys ever used Maaco for a full-paint job? I know they have a terrible rep in general but I've been searching and it looks like if you go to a highly rated location, do the prep work (popping out headlights, tail lights, trim), and opt for the top package where they actually do a 2 stage paint job you can get pretty good results for about 2k.

CRIME Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sure, if you do the prep work for them
    90% of paint jobs is in the prep

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

What should my prep entail? I already know about taking out the lights and trim pieces, anything else I should look at here? Just trying to get an idea

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Clean and clay bar the car.
        Mask basic shit off.
        Talk to a paint guy first so I don't create more work

• 1 month ago
          Greased Geese

you probably want to do everything surface prep either up to or beyond primer because I bet they won't take the time to get it right, frickers might even skip priming for all I know.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

More like Macaco, lol

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

UMA

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Orange peel, and not actually that cheap anymore. Nor will it last, they are terrible about masking and prepping.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How much does a decent paint job for a sedan cost nowadays? 5k?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

$5k today is a maaco paint job if you don't buy the cheapest package. To approach OE quality you're spending $10k. Two years ago I bought a bigass compressor and other painting supplies and learned to paint because I had a car to restore and got an $8,000 estimate for a paint job from a trusted shop with an already stripped car. I had the rust on the roof (sunroof car) and windshield channel done professionally and that alone cost me $2k. Good body shop labor is over $100/hr.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

use these

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Got a hood and roof done in 2021 and a bedside in 2022. The roof got a weird blotchiness to it after a few months but the hood held up nicely, that is until I discovered rust underneath the insulation. I swapped it out for a rust-free one last month and gave the hood away. The bedside paintjob is doing well after almost two years, still looks great.
    Conclusion: I'd be weary on getting maaco, really only if the paint is fricked and anything would be better. My roof and hood were baked and there was damage to the bedside that I was wanting to get fixed up for a couple years by then.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How was the place rated wheee you took it? Only reason I’m feeling gung-ho about Maaco is that there is a super high rated one about an hour from me and all the recent reviews seem pretty pleased and people are bringing in older corvettes and classic cars.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

4.6 out of 5 stars on google, so it would appear promising to anyone looking. Personally I'd give my experience a 3 out of 5, along with what I mentioned, I also have a paint drip, a couple particulates sprayed over visible under the paint, and bad overspray here and there. But the paint quality and color matching is spot on

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Brother in law got his shitbox painted. It looked fine. I honestly don't know why he bothered tho, he never polished or cleaned his car. I think even a maaco job would look good if you polished it every now and then.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you prep yourself they are probably the most effective, if you don't then prepare for popcorn paint

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you go through all that work you might as well mess it up yourself rather than let someone else mess it up

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I know a dude who runs a paintshop, he told me to do the entire car, it would cost 30k. Suggested if I ever wanted to change the color of a car, it'd have to be a wrap which can be 2-5k depending on the car. So IDK about that 2k cost to "paint" the car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>30k
      Did he add a zero. When honda did my warranty repaint in 2018 it was 4k when i got it done at coats for my newer car it was 6k.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Repaint =/= Repainting to a different color

If you want it done right, you basically have to take the car apart and paint everything, engine bay, door frames, basically anything that will be visible one way or another

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>he told me to do the entire car, it would cost 30k.
      Is the paint infused with fricking gold?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

damn my museum quality dodge viper with 4400 miles on it cost 31k.

10. 1 month ago
    Kevin Van Dam

I got the $800 one coat special like 15 years ago. It was ok, didn’t have issues for the next maybe 3-4 years I owned the car. The problem I had was I changed the color of the car and you could see spots of the old color in the door jambs and around the trunk and shit, that’s something they should’ve been more honest about when they sold the paint job.

If you keep the same color and do prep work, I’m sure it will be ok for a few years afrer. Although if you’re willing to do thorough prep work, why not ask a real paint shop to do a deal for you?

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>maccas

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I got quoted like 9k to paint my c36 amg. He told me he could also do a quick and cheap maaco style single stage paint but warned it will look worse than it does currently in a few years. He said if it was his car he'd leave it how it is and not repaint it. But then the guys at benz shop told me there's a mexican body shop that does oe quality repaints for 4-5k. I don't really trust any of the maacos around me. There's so many p71s around here that got resprayed after being auctioned a few years ago and all of them have ruined paint already.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>style single-stage paint
      Yeah, this is exactly what I'd stay from, if I go Maaco I'm gonna opt for their dual-stage option which is pricier. If there is some mexican/independent shop that can get me a quality paint job for 4-5k like you mentioned I might go down that road

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *