man uses Microsoft Excel to manage 20 000 car parts

it was formula 1

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/shocking-details-behind-painful-williams-f1-revolution/

Starting in early 2023, Williams team principal James Vowles and chief technical officer Pat Fry started reworking the F1 team's systems for designing and building its car. As they started figuring out new processes and systems,

>they encountered what they considered a core issue: Microsoft Excel.

The Williams car build workbook, with roughly 20,000 individual parts, was "a joke," Vowles recently told The Race. "It was .xls file." This colossal Excel file even lacked information on how much each of those parts cost and the time it took to produce them, along with whether the parts were already on order. Prioritizing one car section over another, from manufacture through inspection, was impossible, Vowles suggested.

"When you start tracking now hundreds of thousands of components through your organization moving around, an Excel spreadsheet is useless," Vowles told The Race. Because of the multiple states each part could be in -- ordered, backordered, inspected, returned -- humans are often left to work out the details. "And once you start putting that level of complexity in, which is where modern Formula 1 is, the Excel spreadsheet falls over, and humans fall over. And that's exactly where we are."

The consequences of this row/column chaos, and the resulting hiccups, were many. Williams missed early pre-season testing in 2019. Workers sometimes had to physically search the team's factory for parts. The wrong parts got priority, other parts came late, and some piled up. And yet transitioning to a modern tracking system was "viciously expensive," Fry told The Race, and making up for the painful process required "humans pushing themselves to the absolute limits and breaking."

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

corporate america runs on excel because the cto gays get sold garbage software solutions that dont work and productive employees have only one contingency

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also microsoft office is part of everyone's computer certificate, in australia anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/0UlmS2F.png

it was formula 1

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/shocking-details-behind-painful-williams-f1-revolution/

Starting in early 2023, Williams team principal James Vowles and chief technical officer Pat Fry started reworking the F1 team's systems for designing and building its car. As they started figuring out new processes and systems,

The Williams car build workbook, with roughly 20,000 individual parts, was "a joke," Vowles recently told The Race. "It was .xls file." This colossal Excel file even lacked information on how much each of those parts cost and the time it took to produce them, along with whether the parts were already on order. Prioritizing one car section over another, from manufacture through inspection, was impossible, Vowles suggested.

"When you start tracking now hundreds of thousands of components through your organization moving around, an Excel spreadsheet is useless," Vowles told The Race. Because of the multiple states each part could be in -- ordered, backordered, inspected, returned -- humans are often left to work out the details. "And once you start putting that level of complexity in, which is where modern Formula 1 is, the Excel spreadsheet falls over, and humans fall over. And that's exactly where we are."

The consequences of this row/column chaos, and the resulting hiccups, were many. Williams missed early pre-season testing in 2019. Workers sometimes had to physically search the team's factory for parts. The wrong parts got priority, other parts came late, and some piled up. And yet transitioning to a modern tracking system was "viciously expensive," Fry told The Race, and making up for the painful process required "humans pushing themselves to the absolute limits and breaking."

You will watch the celebrity jockies go zoom zoom zoom while arguing about the rules in your ferarri hat on a saturday.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Race is on Sunday in Austria anon.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>microsoft office is part of everyone's computer certificate, in australia anyway
        WTF how come we don'g have this in the EU? I prefer Open Office though, but it would be nice to have Microsoft tools too in case they were needed.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>cto gays get sold garbage

bingo

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It runs on excel because database hard which means DBA expensive

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That is pretty much what it comes down to. I remember working at a place that had a PC only work order system. Then the Mac side of the house they used FileMaker to reproduce the workorder system did a daily csv export moved it via FTP to the PC server which did a daily import. The funny thing was when FileMaker for Windows became readily available the work order system became a FileMaker app. This is the same way Excel becomes the database for business. Product XYZ doesn't do what is needed so everyone becomes Excel wizards and starts producing systems based around Excel hacks. If those hacks replicate necessary business processes then it becomes the business process, period. Everyone understands the process and the tools.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>database hard
        It runs on excel because indiangays do the needful

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'm studying to be a DBA, but whats the point if no one will pay the salary...

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Comon, if you are studying for any job be prepared to be hazed, lied to and seriously fricked the first year or two. Of course don't be afraid to do a little skulduggery yourself, just remember plausible deniability. Of course, that is ever fleeting in the modern era. Anyway, eventually you can settle down with a nice job, sure she will be ugly and cheap but dealing with her will be easy and low stress. Or you can raise the jolly rodger and keep fricking and being fricked as an independent contractor. Hopefully it works out in your favor either way. But taking opiates and living in the gutter is the minimum baseline for living and being a DBA is certainly above that...

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If learning to be a DBA. It seems best at this time to learn DevOps and DBA at the the time.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

See

If learning to be a DBA. It seems best at this time to learn DevOps and DBA at the the time.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Here is what you do. Get a dba job at a company. Know it inside and out. Make it more complicated than it needs to be. Leave company 1 for company 2. Stay as consultant for company1 when the inevitably don't hire a replacement. Extort money to fix issue. Leave company2 for company 3 and stay as consultant for 2. Do that for a few companies and you will be able to retire by your 40s. If they move off of your database for a real modern solution you are fricked but my company had this happen and 2 years later they still call the old dba to fix things because they think it is cheaper than hiring a replacement. They will keep doing it until it actually causes an issue since the database has been on its last legs for a while. Constant small issues I refuse to fix since my job is just making sure the database opens I don't care what happens after that since I am not and refuse to learn to be a dba.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

India's main export is oracle DBAs, its how they all get imported as H1b's. Nice try.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It runs on excel because database hard which means DBA expensive

Also microsoft office is part of everyone's computer certificate, in australia anyway.

[...]
      You will watch the celebrity jockies go zoom zoom zoom while arguing about the rules in your ferarri hat on a saturday.

I'm pretty sure a competent person can do a lot with excel and make it very usable for large applications
      and another can make it a pile of garbage using which is comparable to searching for needle in a haystack

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You can literally set it up to scan individual lots into excel and build a fully functional ERP system that tracks movement of product through phases of manufacturing and alerts you to material usage and shortage to maintain par levels.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

the problem with excel is that it can be operated by a monkey and it will also do basic tasks
          so why would you hire someone, who studied its features for a year straight

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You have to know the specific domain not just Excel.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Like back in the day a secretary or administrative or exec assistance actually had to know how offices work. Same goes with programming. You can learn basic C# programming but can you program for at least one specific industry?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You sound like a computer gay that misses the forest for the trees and doesn’t actually understand final application of the product.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Mistakes? No. I get the impression you are projecting. You don't know forests or trees and you go into a company thinking you are smarter than the client and they spit you out and shit your bones?

You like many script kiddies and wanna be tech wizzes might not realize that for a lot of people actually getting things done is more important than intellectual and pecuniary grifting over the latest and greatest Yet Another New Thing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I’m the end user anon, you clearly don’t know wtf you’re talking about and don’t know anything about managing manufacturing and inventory management. You’re the problem.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The problem? You have problems in your office wtf do I have to do with it. Some of us were mainly talking about why some people stick to using Excel mainly in the financial sector NOT auto parts. Did I say there were no other options? No.

I am not an Excel-onlyist FFS. As much as I might want to reflexively rail against using Excel I can see why people use it and stick to using it.

The client wants what they f$cking want. They dont have a problem with it, they make it work. I see why it works and. It works. All is well.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>The client wants what they f$cking want
            This tbh.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Honestly we probably agree on a lot regarding this, but you’re talking about c+ and all this other coding jargon, I’m saying excel is all the client wants and mostly uses. A controlled ERP scale up would be needed for a more regulated industry, but for run of the mill manufacturing vanilla excel is fine.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That is my point is that in certain sector the client uses Excel for a reason.

The mention of C++/C# is that you can using C++ or C# to write components that can be called from within VBA/VBSCript Excel that provide the Excel user access to backend services. Using a custom COM component is a rather seamless to way to extend the Excel user's reality so to speak. The Excel user doesn't have to know C++ or C# only VBScript. But you as a developer can facilitate access to databases, remote files, live financial market, current assigned cold client list etc.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

true

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I literally am the monkey that bothered to google stuff. No schooling is required.
            Boomers just can’t into computers and it’s ruining their legacy companies, and they refuse to hire young White men because HR hags.
            I mean, I’ve got a good job that pays well now, but I’ve seen much larger companies run extremely poorly by comparison to the small companies I’ve helped develop.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Excel is pretty particular about state and order of operations. If it can be viewed as a large computer program, users messing with states all the time breaks all spreadsheets eventually.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>corporate america
      morons you mean.

serious orgs have had dbs since 70s and many still, besides new ones, do have those old ones.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I have to tell morons all the time to stop using excel for what it's not meant for. They refuse.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>The Race

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Absolutely NORF

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The race to the buffet.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

He's judging me, bros

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Damn that's a lot of resources wasted. Breaking into f1 is next level difficult. It's kind of crazy HAAS is still competing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Haas makes cnc machines, they can literally do what they want.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

breaking into f1 is easyif you have the money. you do it by buying an existing team. haas get their most crucial components delivered and are still messing up.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>corporate america runs on excel because the cto gays get sold garbage software solutions that dont work and productive employees have only one contingency

corporations have done massive excel projects successfully for decades. It sounds like this homosexual simply wasn't very good at excel.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

20k rows in a multi worksheet excel file isn't anything. I am a public servant and do projects of this size on the regular and have no issues. It works quite fine in Sharepoint or Teams if you need multiuser access and revision control. I basically use it as PMP. I have used MS Project and found it unnecessarily complex and rigid. Any butthole can build a report worksheet in excel off of data in the other sheets rather easily. Basically the whole project is just one file, within sharepoint or teams. Once the project is complete just lock it and archive it. Rinse and repeat. You are subsaharian IQ if you can't manage such a simple thing.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You’re a public servant mate. You create nothing at all. You build nothing. Your work is worthless and meaningless bureaucracy. The cleaner at a formula 1 team has a higher IQ then you. Also there’s so many fricking trannies in F1 anyway.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Seethe. Not an argument. I could suggest they buy a PMP but exporting and backing up a PMP is more work than just building the damn thing in excel with forms and teams. I manage projects with parts and labor from 1k - 100k rows with multiuser input and oversight. Project done just lock the excel file and archive it. No exporting importing or any worry about it not being accessable in future years.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That kangaroo fricker was just jealous of your pension

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>The cleaner at a formula 1 team has a higher IQ then you.
          Then why can't those moronic monkeys excel?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

20k rows in Excel isn't anything extraordinary post 2003. Slow clap for the tard that thinks building a LAMP stack for 20k rows and a dozen users is necessary, it isn't.

I did about 5k products in Excel just fine in 2005 and constantly producing more. funnily enough, that was the easy part of the job compared to plant production forms in MS Access and wage costing in Lotus 123

even if we expanded by 4 it wouldn't have been a problem, just divide up the product codes with a another prefix. not sure what the fuss here is about.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I think that's the problem. People want to try to validate the need for buying or building single purpose tools out of esoteric systems or systems that far exceed the project requirements. Excel + Sharepoint in the 2005-2020 era was my go to, simple and it worked. Then moved to Excel + Teams + Forms. It is just too easy. Funny thing is doing the same thing for 20 years and there is a trail of excel files, should anyone need them, that are simple and straight forward that anyone can open in plain ass excel. There has got to be a reason MS has hardly changed the core formula for 20+ years. Maybe it just works.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I fricking hate sharepoint. I want to quit my job because of it.

you should work in f1, the pay is better than your current job.
            t.mercedes engineer

Sounds easy. I’m down.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

cool, come in to the factory on monday and ask for toto, tell him youre there for the excel job.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just make a database. I had no idea what I was doing and made something that tracks 400 data points on ~100k records

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you are talking about a not-excel database?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>The Williams car build workbook, with roughly 20,000 individual parts
        Only boomers would think 20k of anything in relation to a db/table of data is a lot

>not-excel database
        Excel isn't a DB so thats just moronic. tech illiterate or 7/10

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Excel can connect to databases in a such a way that excel sheet reads and writes to a database but you do input stuff inside excell cells so its similar to using excel normally altough all data goes in an out of database

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I fricking love it when my users can enter whatever the frick they want directly into my database! Thanks microsoft!

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

a password would have to be given first but yes, a person who knows it would be able to shit up a database

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I remember when I tried to move some work in Access from Excel. The problem is that *I* could do it, but then I have to train everybody who did that work on Access, which they didn't want to do, which my boss didn't want to do, etc. So Excel was used for basically everything at the company even though other tools could do a lot of it much better.

The fact is that Corporate America runs on Excel.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Basically any database but Access.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I remember when I tried to move some work in Access from Excel. The problem is that *I* could do it, but then I have to train everybody who did that work on Access, which they didn't want to do, which my boss didn't want to do, etc. So Excel was used for basically everything at the company even though other tools could do a lot of it much better.

The fact is that Corporate America runs on Excel.

MS Access was actually better back in 1997 up to maybe 2003 before they began ruining it with that awful Ribbon interface which shouldn't be in Access and they ruined the interface for designing custom own GUIs for your own apps. Also, they should have allowed for something other than VBscript earlier on.

If you know how to get data in and out of Excel and into and out of an Access DB everyone else doesn't have to learn Access.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

This is why you make a software similar to what the employees are used to working, either by using their physical documents as reference, or in this case, excel.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My company runs on a Labour a hundred different shares Google sheets - customers, orders, stock, deliveries, payments, holiday, you name it there’s a shared google sheet for it

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>company cared about how employees felt about their job
        unbelievable

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

wallstreet runs entirely on excel. like the entire economy is basically managed in excel

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>wallstreet runs entirely on excel. like the entire economy is basically managed in excel

Pretty much this

t. Wallstreet gay

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>t. Wallstreet gay
        No shit.
        Your "House" (most likely a Primary Dealer) uses it to track your FTDs
        T + 1 settlement now, but you still violate it.
        >but muh Market Maker exeption.
        *poof* gone

bitch.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, if only you knew how bad things really are. The modern world is built upon a technological house of cards.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I mean, a relational database is a relational database, the only difference is the scaling

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

One thing about going from Excel to a DB or adding a DB into the picture is what was done using VBScript only now requires the use of SQL and possibly having to re-write in SQL what you had in VBScript or having to maintain VBScript and SQL in parallel.

However, using COM you can write VBScript modules that consume logic written in C++ or C#. That IMHO is a better way to let Excel users have Excel provide them features without disturbing their Excel experience.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>entire economy managed by poo code
      We're all going to die.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i just realized what a Cyber Pandemic could look like

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

boeing the economy.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

don't ever look into COBOL
      literally the entire backbone of the economic communications infrastructure is written in moron code from the 70s

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

tbh I wouldn't underestimate COBOL.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Or FORTRAN

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I was gonna mention FORTRAN" too.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/0UlmS2F.png

it was formula 1

>Work with a proprietary game engine that holds all our game data in lists and sub lists etc.
      >We do most of our work in spreadsheets and then import those into the editor
      >Some spreadsheets sometimes don't import/export properly for whatever reason
      >Complain to the tools team, they should fix the editor to make it work
      >Time passes, shit still doesn't work properly and I'm getting tired of using workarounds
      >Check in with the tools team to see what they've been up to
      >Motherfricker on the task started re-inventing the wheel by recreating a spreadsheet in the game engine editor.
      >He didn't understand why that was a terrible idea
      >He left the company shortly after and his "work" got deleted.

Spreadsheets are king, they just work if you know what you're doing.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

SAS is the patrician quant's choice. If it's production code requiring C then one of the monkeys can do it and I'll write code to check the output with 5% the effort.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

inb4 some linuxgay comes in to shill for some random shitdb
    chad excel >>> virgin ~~*mongodb/mysql/postgresql/sqlite*~~

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I could right code that transformed and sorted their stupid impossible "20k" part excel file into a database in an hour.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

20k rows in Excel isn't anything extraordinary post 2003. Slow clap for the tard that thinks building a LAMP stack for 20k rows and a dozen users is necessary, it isn't.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

And yet, you cannot spell "write". I think I will farm this out to India. It's 100% your fault.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Your syntax is horrible.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

fedora/redhat is married to ibm in being anti-White. israeliteddit.com/r/AntiWhitePrejudice/comments/18ikto2/ibm_red_hat_whistleblower_leaks_internal_racist/

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it works (for now) its easy to just switch

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

And what kind of evil munchkin would do a thing like that?
          Quelle suprise! a foul and filthy troon!

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I see what you did here
        Is 16gb ram sufficient?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

more than enough

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Disappointing tab selection

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

ok, can you stop hiding the reddit tabs, we fricking know

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

?

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Engineers love excel for some reason but lack basic knowledge on relational dbs

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, that's why databases are a thing. Try using one.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

pussy shit

I've seen Excel used to manage a steel mill over here

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

SQL Server. It costs more for a reason.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>SQL Server.

python database. there are a lot of free shit there.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Microsoft Excel to manage 20 000

you use server based database for that.. excel was never programed to work as a database..

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

And yet it's entirely possible to use it as a database.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

no it is not. this is, why his shit collapsed as soon he ran out of cash and ram memory.. excel is a computing not a collecting program. fricking israelitesoft had access for this shit..

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You have a shit definition of "database" anon.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I didn't say it's a good database, only that it could be used as one.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A single-user database sure. But what use is that when everybody in the company wants to use it?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Year 2000 is calling and wants its memes back. Sharepoint has been around for 23 years now and Teams has been around for 7 years. Have you heard of them? Multi user, multi table, excel files have existed for all this time. And it is a breeze to build apps for a small team around an single excel file. No ERP or PMP necessary.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Modern Excel would handle that too

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

A table yes.
        A database no.
        But to be fair, most people use databases when they may as well use excel.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

most people have prok when they could have beef.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Excel since 2000 has had multiple worksheets, which are another word for tables. In Sharepoint you have something like ACID. So when used with with sharepoint excel is a database. No it doesn't have the best features for large scale use. But if you are talking a few hundred of thousand of rows across a few dozen tables it is adequate, for about hundred users. It is more than sufficient. Also the maintenance was quite simple for locally hosted sharepoint.

I fricking hate sharepoint. I want to quit my job because of it.

[...]
          Sounds easy. I’m down.

Have you analyzed the issue? Our org used to have one sharepoint server for everything. It always got messy because interdepartmental projects. Then with Teams we just used the sharepoint lite that is builtin and it was adequate. Still things can get weird with departments sharing projects. Even weirder with people building things in OneDrive and sharing to others. But we are talking about 1000 computer using staff members. Not all of them use Teams effectively.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Excel since 2000 has had multiple worksheets, which are another word for tables. In Sharepoint you have something like ACID. So when used with with sharepoint excel is a database. No it doesn't have the best features for large scale use. But if you are talking a few hundred of thousand of rows across a few dozen tables it is adequate, for about hundred users. It is more than sufficient. Also the maintenance was quite simple for locally hosted sharepoint.

[...]
          Have you analyzed the issue? Our org used to have one sharepoint server for everything. It always got messy because interdepartmental projects. Then with Teams we just used the sharepoint lite that is builtin and it was adequate. Still things can get weird with departments sharing projects. Even weirder with people building things in OneDrive and sharing to others. But we are talking about 1000 computer using staff members. Not all of them use Teams effectively.

Excel may seem like "its just a table" but it really is more than that because every Excel file is a collection of worksheets. Each worksheet can be a table or a collection of tables and one can quite a lot programmatically (VBScript, Macros, etc.) within and between those tables within Excel itself.

You can also work with data across multiple files such as pulling specific data from one Excel spreadsheet into another.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yet it sounds like it only needed a few additional columns to do what they needed. Done simple additions to show important points and it's done. My workplace has 20+ suppliers who all provide data feeds of products in different styles of csv. A few of these are larger than 20k rows yet they would not be too difficult to manually manage for something as specific as a race car

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

[...]
        20k entries isn't a lot. A single table can easily handle that, even if it has a lot of cross referencing data to other tables via Vlookup etc. I've had tables with 300k+ entries when processing transaction data.

Yeah fine but how the frick does that integrate into the design system that your different engineering/accounting/parts warehousing teams are using to actually assemble a F1 race car??

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why is this thread here? Shouldn't this be in DA or even DA?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

janitor has to mastrubate..

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

They can't. the needful nerves were cut off in their voluntary castration.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This Finnish moron has been making countless of these threads per day for months. His inspiration is the Greek bot which spams incel-esque threads day in day out. Of course jannies don't give a shit because /misc/ is merely a containment board.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just write it in a book, only Black folk an israelites put important stuff on computers.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>20,000 rows
    It's like little baby data. Imagine idiots in a literature department complaining about how Excel sucks at storing Shakespeare's works. Use literally any database, even Access '97.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's why you put it into a database. With some input fields on the front end and a way to keep track of the status of certain things. Then they can further define their issues and enhance the business intelligence.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Let me guess, they "upgraded" the excel apreadsheet to Microsoft Access nkw more than one person can work on a sheet at a time.
    Gets paid a couple of million dollars!

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If that’s all you need you’d just use quip lmao

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>man uses Microsoft Excel to manage 20 000 rows of car parts
    That's not a man. It's not even a troony. It's either an Indian or something worse the world isn't ready for yet.

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

One of the rare scenarios that actually justifies an ERP system and they use Excel. AHAHAHAHaaaaa homosexuals

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

aren't you supposed to use a ERP for that like SAP or ERPNext?

You can exchange data between SAP and Excel. If you think of Excel being a form, a table or a collection of tables or a collection of interconnected forms or tables you'll get it.

Remember you can add, average, run statistics, run sophisticated scientific or financial formulas on this data all within an Excel file AND you can have a separate file that run statistics on separate files.

Say you have a template for WEEKLY SALES CALLS AND ORDERS .

You can use that template for create a file for that week and another for each week in a month.

You can also have another file that LOOKS into those files to pull out the sums of how much you sold, which customer ordered.

AND remember you can take all that data and generate pretty reports for your team and for other management.

Now if someone one a team learns something like MS Access its possible to pull all that data from many different files and run analysis and create reports. The report generation capabilities of MS Access should not be underestimate nor should those of Excel.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you can hook Excel up to an SQL database and have it run as a frontend and business logic layer

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That is true. You can also have excel send/receive email or consume HTTP/Web based resources.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

In windows the glue would be sharepoint or 365. You can do multi file content searches. I do this with PDFs. We don't sell stuff but we do buy stuff so the POs are searched. Everything we buy is COTS so finding SKUs in PDFs is easy. And yes like a complete lunatic I script the transfer of the PDF content to an Excel file with a worksheet, table as it were, with the SKUs, qtys and line cost. So I am using Teams, Excel, Forms, PowerShell and Content Search. The RFPs are build off of an Excel File and the Project Management is another Excel file. The Reports are in the Project Management Excel file. Purchasing drops the Purchase Orders in the project PO folder. Techs update status of labor with forms. Reports are visible for everyone. This is all possible with MS E3 user license no add on licenses necessary. I doubt I am the only one doing this shit.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>sharepoint or 365.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

sharepoint or sharepoint online does that make you happier?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous
        • 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You're probably not the only one. "If it ain't broke..."

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

RING RING RING
        Everybody in this thread is saying that he just needs to use SQL or Python, but the result will be the same if the user is a hack piece of shit.

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>do IT job the right way
    >you made yourself obsolete

VS

>do IT job as moronic as possible
    >You're the company's guru and recieve 6 figures because nobody else understands wtf you're doing

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>You're the company's guru and recieve 6 figures because nobody else understands wtf you're doing
      Come on now.
      Most people inherit such paradigms.
      They certainly aren't going to "fix" the 20 years of bad practice for their regular salary.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Pay them enough cash and they will. I knew the guy responsible for John Deer's computerization. Genius programmer that couldn't interact well with humans, but entered a fugue state when programming. He had a bad reaction to medication one day and forgot he had finished a project. He then rewrote 50,000 lines of code without a single variation from the original.
        He did work experience with John Deer while in high school. When they decided to computerize their inventory system they went looking for him and found him living homeless under a bridge. He ended up contracting for them, made enough to pay to rebuild the local school and buy himself a shitload of guns.

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>not using PowerPoint
    They had it coming.

22. 4 weeks ago
    Strange_Love

>"It was .xls file."

Hey, those do wörk great.

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

" Excel was not designed to be used as a database." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

your dick wasn't designed to stir shit, either, but you manage to make it happen all the same

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

20k rows….

Ha. I regularly hit the 1m limit and have to get create with data in workbooks or end up making custom relation db to get work done.

>t. Datta analyst for a fortune 100

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you should work in f1, the pay is better than your current job.
      t.mercedes engineer

25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just learn sql?

26. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

why didn't he just use Microsoft Access what a fricking moron

27. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is why I don't think people realize AI is not market ready. It's not that AI is not good enough, which it may not be for specific applications, but because the companies themselves aren't ready. They think it's some magic trick to get AI to revolutionize their companies, but most likely their market share and competitiveness will be eaten away. We'll see many bankruptcies more than growth throughout the economy.

28. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I do all the shit in Excel and than just import it back into our useless ERP.

The rest I do with Power Bi on the SQL as again the ERP is useless and a time waster.

No idea who designs ERP systems, even a simple consumer database software like Media Monkey has a better workflow for managing data than an xxx.000€ ERP.

29. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I do tech integration and its all on excel
    massive bid sheets down to the nuts and bolts
    fricking massive

30. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Obviously the problem here wasn't that excel couldn't manage 20k rows.
    20k as a dataset is nothing, if you don't handle millions of records, it's fine from a technical point of view.
    The problem with excel ware is that there is no process, no logs, no integration, no metadata, etc.
    I have been working as an architect for dozens of enterprises, I guess 80% of the tasks were: here are these excels, that's how we work, design a software that is better, audited, compliant, but make it as similar to the excel as possible. Not joking, someone wanted the ui to be like excel as well. Kek.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Excel has all those things, with sharepoint.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yeah but they can't use it, and I don't want to use it.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Lots of public service simps in Australia actually thunk Excel is a database. Do IT support for them and you will be demanded to make Excel work like its a SQL database.

I hope you don't shard and fard when the customer chooses a codeless business apps platform and just bypasses the arrogant Black persondom of contractors that don't understand business requirements.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, I just wait till it collapses on its own, business people can't design robust workshops even if you hold a gun to their heads. After everything is a mess and nobody nows why things are not working, I sell them some tailor-made solution for literal fortunes. At least I did it for two decades, but let see where they get with servicenow, or some ai powered fancy stuff.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

*workflows

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That is a problem. I came from the business world to IT so I actually had my head around the actual goings on rather than being a clueless techhead who had zero experience with life.

I worked with high level stock and commodities brokers who used Excel to manage transactions for gargantuan companies. And TBQH I was very much impressed. I simply built a system that amounted to a bridge between their spreadsheets and the outside world so they could pull live market data and make orders. As much as the inexperienced computer scientists/DBA might rage, it was a very functional system.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

coders rage because excel code is unmaintainable
            but that means job security for traders brokers etc, so it won't change

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>coders rage because excel code is unmaintainable
            >but that means job security for traders brokers etc, so it won't change

They say its unmaintainable because they don't know the domain. Since its very modular little sense to call it unmaintainable. Its like a coder working for an aerospace lab, not knowing anything about aerodynamics and calling the code the engineers write unmaintainable for that reason.

The reason Excel has persisted is because the broker is the coder. It is literally his (or her) domain and he does not have to explain sh!t to anyone else and bring in an unnecessary layer which could introduce a quirk because the coder misunderstands something or another.

I might not be the biggest MS fan but Excel is essentially a very customizable and sophisticated front end (consider how people are made to see web browsers) and it makes a lot more sense when one sees it that way.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

there is as of now no way to do source control in Excel

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

CodeModules can pulled from an Excel be exported as text IIRC. There also the XLA amd XLAM file thing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>XLA amd XLAM
            obscure bullshit that you could not coerce an accountant into using, unfortunately
            Excel is job security for millions of white collar nobodies

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56024151/how-can-i-share-repeated-code-in-multiple-excel-files

So one should be able to insure each file has the same script and source control the entire excel file and the modules as well.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>source control the entire excel file
            lmao

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

🙂 Well at least you can run a hash and CYA if they make changes and it wasn't you it was THEM.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>one should be able to insure each file has the same script
            do you even know what source control means

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Remember, we're talking about Excel here. Do you not realize the significance of being able to have a single source for all scripts and push them into Excel files and being able to inspect Excel files to see what version of the script is or is not contained in that file?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>being able to inspect [...] to see what version
            I don't think you understand what source control is

31. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Csv/xls/xlsx are standard database capture methods. Other methods for tabulating are json. I'm not sure what they were expecting, but xls 100% would have met their needs if they knew how to use it.

32. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just wait until you find out israelites have been borrowing crypto out of cold wallets via delayed spreadsheet ledger systems via legal rehypothecation (sec15c3-3) to commingle idle funds, essentially an interest free loan from you to the israelite.
    Crypto is fake and gay.

33. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

So the guys who made the file quit and their female and or Black person replacements not only couldn’t understand it, but didn’t tell their supervisors that. So they could r get the old guys to come in and explain it to them either.
    As expected.

34. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm wanting to get an analyst/database type role, but everyone says that you have to start somewhere in a company that isn't a "data analyst" since there aren't any entry level positions for said roles anymore. I don't know how true that is, but I have a degree in MIS and have been told to look into "Business Development/Analyst" roles. Any one that can confirm that statement?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

homie just lie, they have no issue lying to you, you have no obligation to be honest with them.

t. How I got my first Software Engineer role

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

How did you lie?
        I need to master the lie to stop being a neet.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

> they have no issue lying to you
        6gorillion percent this
        golden rule is great and all, but… it’s how one ends up getting fed upon

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

> they have no issue lying to you
        6gorillion percent this
        golden rule is great and all, but… it’s how one ends up getting fed upon

My entire career from age 22 to 42 was based entire on lying, cheating, and whenever possible, stealing. If I had played it straight by "the rules" I'd be living with my parents working some wagie bullshit job instead of retired and rich.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

of course.
          man cannot serve two masters,
          either you love God or you love money.
          you lied to get money.
          you chose which master you serve.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I know you're mad rabbi, at a goyim playing the game you created by your rules you israelites follow, but don't be too mad. I'm not rich at all by israelite standards. Just got a comfortable life.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

says the memeflag that admits he sold his soul for 50 pieces of silver
            shame on you, israelite

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>sold his soul
            The system is Satanic by design. Take what you can from it before it destroys you.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Business owners only want to hire people who will make their business profit. So they probably want you to have some kind of business inclination and not just be good at playing computer.

35. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

dunno what's the problem, homosexual.. feed that xls into chatGPT and let it rebuild it for you anyway you please. there is no hope for you zoomers that can't even use google properly

36. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lots of public service simps in Australia actually thunk Excel is a database. Do IT support for them and you will be demanded to make Excel work like its a SQL database.

37. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's what Access is for, if they want to stay with a Microsoft product or any number of other database options with whatever GUI interface you want. They obviously had no one on their team with a clue, because designing such a line of balance system using isn't terribly difficult or expensive. The hardest part is getting all the managers to agree to how it will be implemented.

38. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>20K excel spreadsheet is colossal
    >It's less than half the size of my backlog
    anyone here know how to use dates in excel that are BC? I just used a - in front of them but that sorted them to the corresponding AD date. It's not that a problem anymore since I am now in the 80's and the file explorer automatically sorts it correctly in my backups but I don't like leaving something unsorted
    (I am very autistic if you couldn't tell)

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

amazingly german

39. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

aren't you supposed to use a ERP for that like SAP or ERPNext?

40. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sounds like user error.
    i've seen competent people who know what they're doing make excell do absolutely crazy things that you wouldn't think that excell could do.

41. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nobody was familiar with relational databases? mysql, postgresql, mariadb?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>muh relational database
      >for a BOM
      ... why though?
      it's a story of a man scapegoating his incompetence on a tool that his predecessor used adequately.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

...and using this as a justification to buy a much more expensive tool for the job
        really jogs the old noggin

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>buy
          >mysql, postgresql, mariadb
          open source.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

they bought SAP

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It's in the name.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

read the OP quote, they were doing more than a simple bill of materials list. spreadsheets are okay for tracking simple summations and lists, moving beyond that a database is the thing to use.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>t. not an engineer
          it's a BOM and every BOM i've ever seen has been in a spreadsheet (excell, libreoffice, openoffice, lotus 123, etc...)

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'ts a bom+

42. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why doesn't he use FOSS? These rich jerks are all the same.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

FOSS software makers can't provide kickbacks

43. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

20 000 is not big data. You would want some simple object oriented database like ObjectDB

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I have maintained twice than that as a database on excel. It’s not that hard.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah thats baby stuff for Excel.

44. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

MS should have been broken up in the 90s. they have fricked up the corporate sector to the point that it would take years to fix. their monopoly costs the economy billions

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That was the intent.

45. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>20,000 individual parts
    20k lines in excel, nothing. I have excel files with over 500k lines.
    >This colossal Excel file even lacked information on how much each of those parts cost and the time it took to produce them, along with whether the parts were already on order.
    that's only three (3) additional columns.
    Microsoft Excel is one of the best software ever engineered, you can manage mobile phone networks of hundreds of millions of subscribers with it, don't ask me how I know that.
    You can interface it with anything on earth, it was used with scripts to gather quality and functional tests result on a production line for electronic devices at a plant I worked, it was supervising the entire production quality check, in real time, tens of pieces per minute, spitting out statistics and identifying rejects and causes.
    Everyone can use it, it's intuitive, simple and friendly.

46. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don’t get it. He messed up the file and documentation. How is it excels fault? Excel is the only good piece of software Microsoft ever made.

47. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I could’ve managed this via excel, I could have even located and implemented an ERP easily and have done this for a $100mil medical manufacturing business tracking individual lots from thousands of batches.
    Would these guys ever hire a guy like me? No. HR roasties wouldn’t let them hire a millennial White man like me.

48. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Sounds like whoever set up the excel for them is moronic not that excel was bad for the application. You can do everything they were complaining about and then some with excel.

49. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

So if I learn how to work in excel will I have infinite power at palm of my hand? Companies will fight over me

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>if I learn how to work in excel will I have infinite power at palm of my hand?
      Yes, in any kind of industry you'll be a king. Learn vbs and that kind of shit and you are an emperor.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>excel is unlimited power
      Yes
      >companies will fight over me
      No, they won’t recognize you for being the thing holding it all together until it’s too late and you already left

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>No, they won’t recognize you for being the thing holding it all together until it’s too late and you already left

Funny. But sadly there have been many such cases.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Are you over-qualified for this minimum wage job, anon ?
        Y..y...yes.

>Fine. We don't care past hiring what anyone actually does anyway. We just expect things to work out. I have my leading position for the salary, not to act responsible or actually manage anything right.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nope. They'll show you how they do excel and then expect you to do it there way even if you know a more efficient way.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Maybe they were making some kind of point in this movie ...

The big hotel in John Wick is based in New York City.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's perfectly reasonable, though. Every business or corp is like this. It isn't necessarily that they know "the best way" - it's that "their way" fits in with how they do business. Sometimes you have to understand discretion is the better part of valour. Many things are inefficient, but if they work in a live environment, nobody wants you fricking with them and wrecking other reliances you don't understand the scope of. This is more true for RDMS than just Excel, but you catch my point.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Na, if it's bad it don't deserve to stand. They deserve their strife for being willfully bad.

50. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

2024 and still using Excel. The mind boggles.
    I could knock something up in a few weeks that would solve their problem, with classic text search mechanisms, list views and everything.

They should call me out.

t. software developer

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Thing is, say you do the thing using something like Electron or Java or C#. Can you recreate the entire functionality and capability that is possible for each and every cell in MS Excel? That is why people stick with Excel.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Can you recreate the entire functionality and capability that is possible for each and every cell in MS Excel?

Why would I or anyone else want to do this, especially in an application dealing with car parts?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Again it comes down to the domain. Car parts guys at retail level don't have to have a dynamic, customizable interface. In some industries such a thing is needed--that is why they still use Excel in the financial sector after all these decades.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just to clarify, I've nothing against Excel it's a great product.
            My issue is with problem I have with people who use it in situations where it is not the best choice: large datasets (as per OP), real-time collaboration on complex data analysis (when they should be using Python or similar in a git repo), and real-time data analysis (use Elastic and/or TIG stack or similar).

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood, people need to know the limitations of what they're working with.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well no shit. That is obvious. FWIW I have never encountered a situation where someone or any group holding on to something like Excel even when it was unsuitable and wouldn't allow a change. Even the brokers I mentioned allowed for changes but it didn't require them letting go of Excel altogether.

51. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

None of you have been able to provide a reason as to why using Excel is actually bad.

Industry standard? No. There are quicker ways for sure. But there is literally no problem with Excel.

Reminder that the industrial age right up to 1970, including the manufacture of planes like the SR-71 blackbird and the rockets that took man to the moon were all done on asset managment systems LESS CAPABLE than Excel running on any standard PC today. There is literally nothing wrong with it. You guys just dont appreciate that understandability and editability to people who aren't computer experts is a valuable thing to have, and it's something that Excel has and databases don't.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

THE problem with Excel is it mixes data and instructions within the same file in a cancerous proprietary format
      it is perhaps the best consumer software ever written, and partly for that reason it is being used in ways which are counterproductive

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You can just have the data in a protected sheet and then the instructions for various bits of analysis in other sheets.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yep.

• 4 weeks ago
          sage

and you still can't source control with that method

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Excel is unironically probably the greatest and most useful program ever created. Most people working in programming, like I’ve said earlier itt, don’t actually understand what their program is being used for.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Excel is unironically probably the greatest and most useful program ever created.

No its not, IBM SPSS is.
        SPSS is Excel clone with none of the Excel drawbacks. It is completely bug free unlike Excel.

It just that nobody knows about it and its much more expensive than Excel, thats all.

SPSS is marketed as statistic program but it can do everything Excel can and doesnt need to be statistic only.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Excel is free on every computer though, so it’s got yours beat

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Excel is not free and to state that this is the case is beyond /k/ levels of moronation.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What about Libre Office Calc ?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It has reasonable functionality. It is extendable too.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Checked
            Its maybe not accepted on a small business level, but if open office can export in all the required file formats, I can’t see why not
            I mean, Apache runs most of small enterprises servers does it not?
            personally I can see a time where I will ever use a Microsoft product again if I can avoid it

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I will ever use a Microsoft product again
            Why are you racist against poos? Bigot.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

> he doesn't know

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Anon, it is often folly to assume what another anon does or do not know.
            Please, this is not me bragging that I know more than you, because this is probably not the case. Or so I assume
            It it equally moronic to assume you know more than any other anon.

>I will ever use a Microsoft product again
            Why are you racist against poos? Bigot.

Because I don’t like poo eating curryhomosexuals

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The reference was that a lot of computers come with Excel over here + students getting it for free.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>SPSS
          Bro, your Visual Basic scripts?
          Bro, your R for any serious statistics, what are you doing with SPSS?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

SPSS can take infinitely large spreadhseets while excel will shit itself when it becomes too big

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Python already made R irrelevant

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Bullshit. Python didn't even manage to nake python 2 irrelevant

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>memeflag is a fricking moron
            lol

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I know top company still using python2 for their multi billion business

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

ibm is now extreme anti-White. https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1734717421297229840

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

current release of SPSS is at least 2 years old, which was slightly before IBM:s anti-white statement

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

A distinction without a difference.

52. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Qrd in moron terms for me please?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Imagine you have a lot of toys and you want to keep track of them. You could write down all your toys on a piece of paper, but what if you have a lot of different types of toys? It might get messy and hard to find the toy you want.

That's kind of like using Excel for big lists of things. It can get messy and hard to find what you need when there's a lot of information.

But, if you only have a few types of toys, writing them down on paper might be okay. It's easy and you already know how to do it.

So, using Excel for small lists can be alright, but for big lists, it's better to use something else that's made just for keeping track of lots of information.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Thank you. So why do corporations use that fricking program for? I bet that’s how israelites steal money

53. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If being competent in using a fricking spreadsheet and being locked into a particular program to use such a thing is the hallmark of civilisation, we are already lost.
    Of the hallmark of civilisation is using a Microsoft product, we are not only already lost, it the rotting corpse has not yet stopped twitching and shitting put Oreos
    God have mercy on my soul (you c**ts can get fricked)

54. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lol it's fricking williams, they let a cripple drive their car

55. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Pretty sure i could have solved their problems by adding a couple columns and a pivot summary.

56. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>humans pushing themselves to the absolute limits and breaking.
    Yea, were their eyes twitching?

57. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Did they suffer a random collapse?

>People in front of a computer are pushing themselves to the limits
    Or they absolutely don't find that trash interesting and only do it for $$$. It's fricking MS excel.

58. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>no cmdb for physical CIs.
    >no itsm tool for tracking vendors and orders.
    >no itsm tool for tracking requests.
    >no basic SQL DB for anything
    ITIL is the way forward Devops tools and excel are truly a detriment to businesses.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Its worth considering that a lot of the core functionality found in office packages could have been provided as libraries usable in standalone applications.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I totally agree with you was trying to bait midwits.
        Though this is batshit levels of poor performance.

59. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>20,000 individual parts
    >implying that it would be something excel couldn't handle well
    There is no problem with using excel to manage components on the individual level and even on the BOM level. It's not ideal, but it wouldn't be a herculean task to make an effective sheet for ALL of the information and to integrate it with whatever legacy software they have utilizing the same data. And you can even use M with powerquery in excel if VBA isn't enough. What's the problem???

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm sure that other teams use custom software for that task. Which might be more efficient and easier to onboard new people

60. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Jeet tier

61. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're too moronic to use R?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  62. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

salivating atm reflecting on how many companies would pay me thousands to write a 30 char long regex string.

63. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Even Autodesk Inventor has parts libraries, both commercial ones by manufacturers and the ones you create yourself in Inventor's supplier content center etc etc.

And Inventor is baby steps compared to Siemens NX...

Why would a $1 billion state of the art design studio do such a stupid thing?

Basically it's the manufacturing equivalent of BIM Building Information Management systems.

64. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

sounds ... unimpressive?
    I menage a google doc with 8 000 entries ... myself
    they also have dozen of states and around 20 parameters per entry, i got bunch of scripts to help but mostly its me menaging and few guys putting in values

20 000 sounds like a lot .. but its not, split it up into 4 parts per dates or types and problem solved

65. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why wouldn't he just sub-divide it into multiple files in categorized folders? Is this pure boomerism cramming it all in one file?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

sounds ... unimpressive?
      I menage a google doc with 8 000 entries ... myself
      they also have dozen of states and around 20 parameters per entry, i got bunch of scripts to help but mostly its me menaging and few guys putting in values

20 000 sounds like a lot .. but its not, split it up into 4 parts per dates or types and problem solved

20k entries isn't a lot. A single table can easily handle that, even if it has a lot of cross referencing data to other tables via Vlookup etc. I've had tables with 300k+ entries when processing transaction data.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's not just 20k abstract entries.
        It's 20k car parts that need to be assembled. And they have 24 races per year all around the world.

66. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Thats what you get for making a woman boss. the other female f1 boss, monisha kaltenborn ("curry breasts") who only got there because of her husband, signed multiple drivers for one seat.

67. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm having a hard time beleiving this story. it's crazy. What CAD/CAM software are they useing anyway? MOI3D? kek

68. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i handled my department's logistics using a pirated version o matlab because that's all i knew really well at the time lol. it worked pretty well but when i got a new job and quit i bet they were fuuuuuuuucked. should have mathed their offer

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>pirated version o matlab
      Didn't know piracy is a thing in Japan

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Didn't know piracy is a thing in Japan

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i'm american on vacation. it's not a hing in the us in corporate settings but it was a small company and as long as i got the orders and inventory and tracking right they didn't care how i did it. i had the matlab scripts poop out the data in excel so they were none the wiser how i actually did it

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

meant to quote you

>pirated version o matlab
        Didn't know piracy is a thing in Japan

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Anyway pretty smart and made them dependent on your hacky magic. You must be millennial

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i literally only knew matlab well enough to do it lol. yeah i'm a millenial

69. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People talk about how far /misc/ has fallen but this thread embodies the sheer mental moronation of this place. The tards at Fricked company in 2001 were more intelligent and learned than this..

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

We don't have to be smart in everyday life anymore

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Formula 1 isn't supposed to be "everyday life" it's supposed to be cutting edge futuristic automotive engineering technology.

I can't even imagine managing several teams of designers and engineers and accountants and shop floor mechanics and warehousemen without a seamless software solution that interconnects them according to the needs of their specific occupations.

If this is how fricked up they are, like working in 1982 level technology I'd really like to see what kind of workstations they're using in their network.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Formula 1 isn't supposed to be "everyday life" it's supposed to be cutting edge futuristic automotive engineering technology.
          It used to be. Nowadays it's just a gladiator show for morons a.k.a. drive to survive by netflix.
          And don't forget the proper politically correct agenda.
          I hate liberty media so much. I can't believe I'm saying this but Bernie was better

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Bernie Ecclestone was awesome. I would have looooved to frick his daughter.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

He is a scammer that always gets away and he kept formula 1 out of the internet and gaming world. But that was probably a good thing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>memeflag is Bulgarian
            Oh, lmfao. That explains your moronation, and use of depreciated tools. You probably just got access to a computer last year.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Tech debt is real, especially amongst companies worth 300 billion usd or more
            I used to get free money from cisco as a contractor so who's the moron here

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Bulgarian contractor
            yeah they paid you $1 an hour to manually enter data that you constantly fricked up

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I'm not you Jose

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You’re even more of a subhuman than Mexicans

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Is this your best comeback gringo

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's in line with what illegals are making lmfao. Again, you're equally as subhuman, which is why a company like Cisco hired you as a contractor. You were competing with Pajeets for the lowest contract.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What about cost of life? Even in 2018 I was above what you quoted. And I barely did anything other than overreporting hours in Rally.
            Cope harder Black person.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Also, checkque em. I hope you are better at python than trolling. But your best achievement is probably a five liner of which 3 lines are imports
            I'm sure you never wrote a histogram in R

70. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the funny thing about this.
    i'm a highschool drop out
    i've never done anything of value (by societal standards) in my life, yet even i know how to create a basic database and run a system for better data management.

but i'm a tard, so maybe that's why

keep holding me back masons, every obstacle you put before me is a skill i aquire.

71. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yeahhh. This is a P vs NP problem. its just the was y pc work. this is a problem that they have not worked out on any pc or program. can only work in order not jump around like that. as in if you want number 8 file it has to count to get there. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 finally found 8.. so I dunno what they want? maybe magic?

72. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>roughly 20,000 individual parts, w
    It's not much.
    You can easy convert it in any database or even in a custom database based on json.

73. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I swear, this little dude could do a better job running an F1 team than the idiots that use Exel for their parts management.

74. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Uhhhh okay...why should I give a frick about some dumb boomer race cars and the incompetent pajeets that try to build them? The world is taking a nosedive and the most important thing you can think of at the moment is some boring thread about microsoft excel and spreadsheets?

75. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

any Daniel Simon fans out there?

76. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This dude just sounds like a moron who didn't divide up labor efficiently and set up some basic inventory management practices. My site does like hundreds of millions in sales a year with tens of thousands of deliveries in/out and we do just fine with SAP and excel.

77. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Holy frick, can into F1 highest tech cars in world but can't into basic database admin lowest paid job in IT? GTFO!

78. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>let’s not spend money on accounting system like SAP or 1C
    >I CAN’T COUNT

79. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wtf boomer. Excel is not meant to be used as an actual data base. Use sql or no sql data bases.

80. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

funny how in 20 years F1 has gone from the coolest cars with v8 engines to gay electric strategizing to let black drivers have a chance, yet excel is still the same.

it's not perfect, but it is the leatherman tool of the white-collar world.

also F1 sucks homosexual dick and lewis hamilton is a watermelon eating Black person.

81. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>And yet transitioning to a modern tracking system was "viciously expensive,"
    There are plenty of young white men who can code, dying for a job that could have coded you a fully functional bespoke system single handed in less than a year. I know, I used to be one. Don't give a frick anymore. Hope you paid millions for some pajeet shite that crashes constantly.

82. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

this guy is new and is just complaining because he doesn't understand the existing system

seen homosexuals like this all my life in the software industry

83. 4 weeks ago
    Jimmy McStimmy

Excels sucks. It only gets good if you use VB to make a programmed system in it, and VB is also a sucky programming language. FRICK MICROSOFT!.

84. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What is the point of this thread?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nostalgia. Williams was the best formula 1 team and domineered in the 1990es.

85. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'm a programmer. I dont get it.
    You can use excel to organize large projects like it was a database?
    I always tought it was a convenient tool to make invoices because of the math calculations on cells.
    Should i learn excel?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you can up to a point. When they say 'Wall Street' uses it, they mean investment bankers and traditional equity analysts, etc. No one is running a real quant strategy in Excel. But even hardcore quants use it for fast one-off analysis with a ton of built-in tools.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Should i learn excel?
      if you know VB you know excel
      work from the backend in
      >You can use excel to organize large projects like it was a database?
      to an extent. its fricking bloaty and clunky as frick and cant handle the clipboard sometimes
      its dogshit mate, and Google Sheets is just as bad

86. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Who am I to judge?
    The same goes for people who factually think they have a right to influence my personal life.

87. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In America, bad companies tend to get government $$$ assists while they power trip on their inefficiencies and pass laws to stifle any potential competition not inside their circle-jerk ring and if they're being inefficient with a simple program like MS excel, they probably are a joke and bad company.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *