Mercury Grand Marquis A/C Issue Questions

Hello new friends, so back story on this. I have a 07 Mercury Grand Marquis and during winter time while running heat I could hear a popping noise coming from behind the dash. Fast forward it is now summer and I am now unable to blow cold air but no popping noise to be heard of. I bought a Freon gauge and tested to see if it was low and was not, it held steady in the green at 40 which is rather filled. Then had the EATC run self diagnostic and tripped a code 024, Blend Door, ended up doing some Googling and decided with relative sureness that is it the blend door. Now I'm looking for a new one to buy but confused as far as a "Manual" vs "Automatic" one, and which terminal pin quantity, I have to chose between 4 or 8? What I'm thinking is that each pin would control a different operation with the A/C, like if you have the option to direct air to Floor, Max, Normal, Defrost, Floor and Defrost like mine you'd probably need 6+ pins? Idk to be honest. Any help is appreciated.

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Die For Epstein's Client List Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Search for the part by VIN. These commonly break in panthers.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Could work

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-Motor-Asy-P-YH1766/dp/B004A2D4V6

It's probably this. I eyed a few youtube videos where they replaced it and their HVAC panel looked very very close to the one you posted. So if you have automatic climate control this is probably the part. I don't even know if these cars came without automatic climate control. It also looks like a b***h to replace.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The HI and Low Analog part you see in OP controls how much air you are getting not the Temperature of the air which is digital but where the cut off for Manual vs Automatic begins and ends idk maybe it is considered Manual because of that switch? This is all me effort posting btw. I'll have a look see

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Tear yours apart to see what it is lol

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm about there to just pull it out and then order the part because I'm getting nothing via the internet

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If the low pressure side AC lines (the larger diameter ones) get cold while the AC runs, but you don't have cold air out of the vents, the blend door actuator is bad (or isn't getting power/ground for some reason, but that's less likely). If you have the HVAC control unit like your picture, you'll want the "automatic" actuator. The "manual" one is for cars with the older style 3 knobs. You'll have to partially pull the dashboard to scoot it just far forward enough to have room to get at the bolts. I just did one a couple weeks ago, it really wasn't that bad. A lot of stuff to remove sure, but none of it was all that difficult. A low profile flex head ratchet and bit set like this one really made it much easier, I highly recommend this set if you ever do interior work.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-flex-head-ratchet-and-bit-set-35-piece-58074.html

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>If the low pressure side AC lines (the larger diameter ones) get cold while the AC runs, but you don't have cold air out of the vents
      This is exactly what I experienced when I checked with the Freon gauge
      >If you have the HVAC control unit like your picture, you'll want the "automatic" actuator.
      Thanks anon, that's half the mystery, any idea on that 4 vs 8 pin stuff?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

4 pin is for the recirculation/fresh air blend door actuator. 8 pin is for the temperature control blend door actuator.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Oh okay, mystery solved

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The recirc door is vacuum powered on that car just like the mode doors.
          The only electric actuator is the blend door.
          IIRC all of those cars have auto A/C on them. The easiest way to tell on any vehicle is the presence of an 'auto' button and/or the presence of a cabin temp sensor. (usually located on the driver's side) The white tube in

https://i.imgur.com/SyO49w7.jpeg

If the low pressure side AC lines (the larger diameter ones) get cold while the AC runs, but you don't have cold air out of the vents, the blend door actuator is bad (or isn't getting power/ground for some reason, but that's less likely). If you have the HVAC control unit like your picture, you'll want the "automatic" actuator. The "manual" one is for cars with the older style 3 knobs. You'll have to partially pull the dashboard to scoot it just far forward enough to have room to get at the bolts. I just did one a couple weeks ago, it really wasn't that bad. A lot of stuff to remove sure, but none of it was all that difficult. A low profile flex head ratchet and bit set like this one really made it much easier, I highly recommend this set if you ever do interior work.
          https://www.harborfreight.com/locking-flex-head-ratchet-and-bit-set-35-piece-58074.html

is connected to such a sensor.

You have to lean the dashboard back like that to replace that actuator, and on some models you have to loosen the HVAC chamber from the firewall to lean it forward to access the rear screw.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nevermind I saw the video his had 8 pins, so I figure Automatic 8 pin, lol EZ frens 😉

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Does your AC compressor spin?
    Does the low side go to the correct pressure temperature when operating the system?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It held at 40 PSI

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

OP here. I bought the part and plan on getting this done when the weather is right but strangely after running the EATC self diagnostic test the popping noise came back and now the A/C blows cold or at least did today. Still replacing part but interesting nonetheless

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

A story as old as time

7. 1 week ago
    Greased Geese

>could hear a popping noise
    it's probably got a giant rat nest in the blower motor, you should examine it.
    not an ac expert

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

OP here. So I replaced the part, I ended up disconnecting the battery because I had to remove the airbag and I'm a paranoid gay. Anyways, now the A/C control modules screen is blank and not responding to visually but works nonetheless, any ideas on this?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

this is why rotary control mogs EATC

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

What did I do though? I mentioned the battery because maybe disconnecting it caused this?

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

The units works, like you can switch between heat/defrost/AC/Max AC? But the digital display isn't working? Idk could be faulty from the box. Disconnecting your car battery isn't going to hurt anything.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

It was working before I removed the blend door, after words I tried testing it with the dash and all the vents and a singular HVAC pipe removed and the display is no longer coming on, now it's not responding to switching between Max, Norm, Floor and whatnot just coming out of the defrost

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

check fuses, ford had some very imaginative ideas as to what fuse controls what on the car
            https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3811778
            when all else fails: google problem you are having + "site:crownvic.net"

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

OP here, great news DA friends, everything is working smoothly and the problem is solved thanks to replacing that piece. Couldn't have done it without you peeps. You can let the thread die.

I think I wiggled something lose because I removed it unplugged it and replugged it back together and now it's fine, but thanks

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Happy for you <3. You don't need no stinking mechanic!

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Awesome! I replaced my blend door on my Grandmama and it wasn't too bad. Saving like 900 bucks is worth it. This isn't my car btw.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *