Motorcycle Infantry

Tactics and effectiveness of infantry on bikes?

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Russia has been utilizing assault bikes.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

With a good rider its a good way too get over rough terrain very fast could be good for recon or dropping a bag of supplys or somthing thats about it.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

2 up it makes some sense if you had someone gunning with you but even that isn’t ideal.

if you’re by yourself, there’s nothing you can even really do except traverse tougher terrain a bit easier i guess but gl moving and shooting. even if the bike stays up with both hands off the bars and on a weapon, you’d still need to steer/brake/change gears all with your feet. it can be done but it’s a huge pain in the dick if the bike isn’t purpose built for it. and even on a 450, a 200lb man with 80lbs of gear and shit, the bike is moving slow and takes forever to get up to speed, while offering basically negative protection stats.

at least a car gives you protection and you can gun/drive fairly effectively

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think infantry on bikes would be most effective if used more like light horse soldiers circa WW1 or the Boer soldiers in the Anglo-Boer war.
      Ride to a tactically advantageous area. Dismount, then fight from there.
      or alternatively, a quick getaway vehicle if you're ambushing a force who is likely to have a QRF or more elements in the area.

I have a few ideas about this, but I'll sum them up as pros and cons:

Pros:
      >Logistically light weight, they don't use a lot of fuel, and maintenance is very easy
      >Can travers some types of terrain that a 4 wheeler or tracked vehicle cannot
      >Much quieter than a heavier vehicle (almost silent if electric)
      >easier to camouflage than a larger vehicle
      >smaller target than larger vehicles
      Cons:
      >Cannot travers some types of terrain that a 4 wheeler can e.g. cannot ford a river or deal with deep mud.
      >0 protection to the rider, any small arms are lethal
      >crashes are more likely to cause serious injury compared to larger vehicles
      >creates significant dust in arid areas giving away a position
      >limited gear stowage (I would argue it's adequate for a light infantry unit though)

I agree the bike would be very hard to fight off. It should be limited to transport only.
      You're not correct about getting up to speed though. I ride a DR650 which I often take camping. I weigh 100KG and my gear at least 30. The 650 one thumper has no issues getting up to 60km/h under almost any weight.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>DR650
        >tfw I pull up on my KLX 300, just to pop a wheelie and then autistically speed off off the road into the field

Yeah, I ride

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I see them being used for raiding purposes as probably the best mission for them.
    >ride 50km over rough terrain in no time
    >put bikes in hidesite
    >patrol out 5-10km to the objective
    >hit the objective
    >get back to bikes and frick off

Or

>quickly ride up and dismount just behind cover
    >set up SBF
    >other element goes on the super flank
    >they dismount at the assault position or just straight up drive into the objective if the SBF can suppress them enough
    >essentially the closest thing to modern day cavalry

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Motorcycle infantry do exist in the Sahel with the various islamic "terrorists". They do mount machine guns on the back and shoot stopped with the mounted MG.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

For once my data hoarding pays off.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>tfw you will never unload belts of 40mm at rival sect from the back of a motorcycle with your bros
          why even live

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

that works only in the turd world

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You gonna elaborate on that or just state something without explaining it like somebody with Asperger's?

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Pros-
    >Quick
    >Can get into places larger vehicles can't
    >Relatively quiet, assuming no squid exhaust
    >Fuel efficient
    >Light
    >Stealthy and easy to stash

Cons
    >Requires lots of training and practice to git gud
    >More physically tiring if riding off-road
    >No protection
    >Falls and related injuries are possible
    >Limited cargo capacity

They're good for reconnaissance and could theoretically be used like dragoons, with infantry using them to maneuver and dismounting to fight. The biggest hurdle is going to be the training required to effectively ride in rough terrain. It takes a lot of training and practice to efficiently get through sand, rocks, and other difficult terrain.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The best part of getting a cheap dual sport as your first bike is that you're not afraid to drop it. Just as I was learning how to shift gears and brake and turn properly in a parking lot, I was also learning how to pop wheelies and do moto gymkana shit. I'm sure a gaggle of good ol' boys could make effective use of bikes if need be.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

riding dual sports isnt hard when you don’t care about dropping them.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Requires lots of training and practice to git gud
      wrong
      little kids use these shits dude.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Little kids generally aren't doing enduro stuff on full-sized bikes. Putting around on a smooth dirt trail or a grassy field isn't the same as getting through deep sand, rock gardens, or water crossings. They're also not loaded down with gear and aren't on 300lb+ bikes. Sand alone filters tons of people.

t. been riding off road since I was little

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Couriers
    /thread

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

(+1)Upvote

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The disadvantage vs a truck or other vehicle is:
    >More fuel use per rider, even though bikes get good mileage.
    >Can't fight mounted
    >More physically demanding and needs more attention to driver and passenger, making them tired.
    >An empty truck can be driven by one person, ten motorcycles can't be led on a rope like horses. Individuals need to recover their own motorcycle.
    >Higher risk of injury because bikes fall often and the rider has no protection
    >Useless in icy conditions
    I love riding, but motorcycle dragoons have serious drawbacks.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Good for limited usage. Unironically offroad E-bikes could be useful for reconnaissance.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I remember seeing a pic from Syria where they mounted a HMG to a bike and used it as a mobile MG nest (obviously it couldn't be fired while driving). There's certainly utility in all the extra shit a bike or atv can bring while still being very small and light but it has no place outside of asymmetrical warfare

Sadly, and it kills me to admit they won at something, drones have rendered manned recon obsolete

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

In most situations, drones are better. I think maybe personnel on sight might still have a use in long term intel gathering operations, but it's probably a super niche scenario.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Drones have a limited range and battery life so you still need to be in the general vicinity of where you intend to fly it. Unless you're talking about an actual military drone then the range is likely sufficient. They are also emmissive and are extremely easy to detect, both the drone itself and the operator, using passive rf detectors, most drones can also be passively jammed with the same rf detection system and be forced to land, return home or even fire any munitions it's carrying at the operator.
        Currently this all mostly only applies to fixed bases, but there is a major push for drone defense on the move GM is working with High Point and Anduril are both working on counter drone systems for humvees.
        At the moment I believe passive rf is possible on humvees and with infantry but I am not sure if it has been adopted by any major militaries yet.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>drones have rendered manned recon obsolete
        >militaries five years from now:
        >laser C-RAM on all armored vehicles
        >dedicated laser 'AAA' AD as low as battalion level
        >EW up the ass
        >insta arty strike on any transmission of perceived enemy drone operator
        >"drones r da footure because dats wut weddit saeyz"

I wouldn't be surprised if decades from now, future infantry will look like low tech guardsmen from 40k because any electromagnetic radiation being broadcasted would be similar to wearing a redcoat in the forest filled with minutemen.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>drones have rendered manned recon obsolete
          wrong. Drones do not have ears and cannot listen, drones have poor loiter time, drones have very poor optics compared to what a soldier can carry.

>laser C-RAM on all armored vehicles
          show me the battery or the generator you plan to run a direct energy weapon off that is useful beyond keeping the mosquitos away

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You mean the one that exists?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

> electromagnetic radiation turns you into a glowing target
          Are we on the Gundam or Legend of the Galatic Heros time line?

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honestly I feel ATVs (4 wheelers) offer much more utility. Not to mention, they're capable in more types of terrain and weather conditions.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Unsurprisingly, militaries do use the golf cart sized ATVs that can carry 4-8 troops.

All of the above from bicycles, dirt bikes and more have been used successfully in warfare. But militaries prefer having more passengers.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I honestly think the biggest issue for a military is the skill issue more than anything. Not in terms of riding, but in terms of how to utilize motorcycle infantry. A lot of battalions in the US Army for example just straight up don't have scout platoons within their HHC because battalion commanders just don't know how to use them. Same thing for things like snipers or recon units at higher levels such as dismounted reconnaissance troops at brigade level. If they don't know how to really use them, I'm sure as shit they definitely wouldn't know how to use a platoon of infantry mounted on dirt bikes at all.

For all the mechanization and industrialization and technology modern militaries have. It often times still just comes down to skill issue. I feel like the average high ranking officer in the US Army above the rank of captain is probably a bommer fudd when it comes to things like just shooting rifles and how to hold them properly. We don't really have modern day equivalents to Roman generals who were just gods among men at everything. Not just stabbing each other in the back and blaming it on Germans.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not trying to be an ass or anything, just letting you know, the golf cart sized ones youre talking about are called UTVs (utility task vehicles). I used to have the same issue trying to delineate whether I was talking about a 4-wheeler (such as a kawasaki prarie) or a offroad golf cart sized vehicle.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yeah I can't imagine many situations where a bike would be preferred over a small ATV

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

ATV's are heavy and big compared to a bike. They have their place, but they're not just better in every way compared to bikes.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, the biggest problem I have with bikes though, is how the frick do you casevac with one? I always had the same thought when people would take dirt bikes on hunts. So okay, you drive your bike 5 or 10 miles deep into the woods before you hike another klick or 2 and set up for your hunt. Sounds pretty great so far, but what about after you bag a massive buck? Drag out to the bike and then what? It's not like theres much of a cargo rack to work with. Do you build and impromptu stretcher and drag it out behind the bike or something? I'm genuinely curious.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you field-butcher a deer, you can carry stuff out in game bags. It's easier if you have a rack and panniers on your bike, too. Quads are generally a better choice for hunting, though.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, I just didn't think you could fit that mutch, but I suppose if you have all that and a game backpack as well, I guess it's doable. Might be a bit top heavy riding back out, but maybe not too bad?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you're operating in a conventional sense then you would have support assets and units just like any unit. That's like asking why there isn't an M113 ambulance for every infantry platoon. For using motorcycles in the sense of special forces, you have to understand that that kind of job outside of performing SWAT raids on 14 year old opium farmers in the middle of the night is insanely dangerous. When SF are doing unconventional warfare behind enemy lines or are acting as a divisions or corps reconnaissance/raiding force; then the answer, regardless as to whether or not they are riding motorcycles when it comes to casevac is:

lol, lmao even.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well typically when they use UTV type vehicles, they can load wounded onto them when they leave. If you have everyone on individual motorcycles though, it seems to me, if one of the guys becomes a casualty, he's fricked if he can't operate the bike under his own power. Not so with the UTV. That's all i was thinking. I mean, is the UTV an ambulance vehicle? No, but can you load a wounded guy in it and haul ass? Yeah

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There's also Pararescue if things get bad enough. Seems like the kind of thing that'd fall within their wheelhouse.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

PJs are one of the few respectable jobs in the airforce.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

On non-conventional side things like PJs or dustoff are often not in the same country and are several hours flight time away.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I occasionally hunt from a dirt bike. I'll usually field butcher and just carry the meat in game sacks over the pannier luggage.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Single track trails and rocky areas tend to favor motorcycles more. Forested areas can be easier to fit a motorcycle through as well.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>more types of terrain and weather conditions
      The opposite is true, but practically speaking the difference in a military context would be negligible

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Motorcycles suck in the mud.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Everything sucks in the mud. They have lower ground pressure than anything else though

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why the frick has nobody brought back the MG sidecar?
    This looks like the most fun you could possibly have in a world war.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

A motorcycle with a sidecar is outclassed by a quad or a side by side in most circumstances now. Sidecars, as cool as they are, are pretty ass performance-wise.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Sidecars are a massive pain to operate on normal roads, they would suck so much offroad its just not funny.

The best use for an offensive motorcycle troop would be when there's a lot of movement on the lines or points of advance, against static defences its practically suicide. But if there's a lot of moving parts and enemies slipping on controlling their sectors of advance, flanks and maybe even the rear, you get some guys out there with anti-tank missiles. Shoot up someone, frick off back the other way and keep doing that it'll get really costly for people to keep advancing without a lot of route clearance and their own recon forces
      Even then I would say its going to be bloody

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If I remember correctly, during the opening days of Ukraine, there were units of Ukrainian SOF running around on quads causing absolute havoc amongst those clusterfrick Russian columns trying to bumrush Kiev. Hitting a disorganized target while being able to escape where your enemy can't follow is pretty much an ideal circumstance for that kind of warfare.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yes there was some, I think they used stuff like those Polaris off-roaders and ATV's, there may have been some on trail bikes too if I remember correctly
          Its a valid form of egress if you've really pissed someone off, beats walking out of there or using a larger vehicle that's for sure- especially if they have their shit together with some kind of actual air-support in the area.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah, I think I recall seeing them loaded up double on ATVs running around with manpats, noob toobing tanks with NLAWs and AT4s

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Archeologists keep stealing them and jousting the other warbikes.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A unit like 10th Mountain might be able to do stuff with a motorcycle company
    A 100-man unit would be about 70-80 on bikes and the rest on ATVs carrying stuff like crew-served weapons and field repair equipment (inner tubes, chains and links, tires, extra fuel, etc.). They could be used to quickly secure an area by having the main force of bikes go and set up perimeter, ATVs and stragglers who encountered problems would reinforce with crew-served weapons, and hold until a more permanent force can be moved in to take over. They could harass retreating enemies by chasing them down and ambushing them along their path of retreat.
    They could also be used to harass and slow down attacking enemies with hit-and-run attacks while your own main force regroups.
    You could even send them out with MANPADS along likely paths of ingress by enemy air assets.
    Otherwise their utility is mission-specific for special operations or QRF applications.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That...actually sounds kind of reasonable, especially for light-fighters like 10th Mountain.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You know who loves their warbikes? The Iranians. They have whole units set up to use them much the way Anons have mentioned above; motorized light Calvary/dismount harassment.

In the Iran-Iraq War of teh 80's, they had detachments of 'Hells Angels' with MG sidecars. These guys would drive flat-out at Iraqi trenches, laying down a barrage of MG fire to keep the Iraqis heads down & shoot-in the human wave assault that would be following behind them.
    Worked great until the Iraqis started laying belts of AP mines along the likely approaches the bikes would roll up on.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The US military tried it recently in the last 30 years I actually was gonna buy one of these but they sell for like 20 grand because muh rareness

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Diesel fuel has prohibitive taxes in the US because it is hidden from the moron voters who use only gasoline. I don't hate on gas, but taxes kill the fuel savings of diesel.

It is a damn shame.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Just use kerosene. Buy from different sources so they don't cut you off. Run from the cops so they can't dip your tank. It's their fault for violating the NAP

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Kerosene is like $10/gal.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Where are you buying from? Heating oil is less than 4 dollars a gallon most places

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just buy a regular gen 1 KLR tbh.

The JP8/multifuel modified mil bikes are super cool, but yeah extremely rare and expensive, and very few of them are in working condition, and they're borderline impossible to get parts for and/or work on. They were made in small batches by a custom shop in California with essentially no documentation and were constantly iterated upon, so even bike-to-bike they can vary significantly.

I was very into the idea of owning one until a rare motorcycle youtuber I follow started posting his saga of getting one that had been surplused out to a PD then neglected for a decade. Afaik to this day he still hasn't been able to get it running.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I read a bit about the company behind those. As far as I could tell it was one guy with a passion for building diesel bikes somehow landing a defense contract
      I'm so fricking jelly

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you mean motorcycle cavalry
    possibly motorcycle dragoons

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Zündapp KS 750 M0850 was the coolest war bike ever made. Peak eastern front.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous
    • 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They are pretty sweet, my dad was into bikes when I was growing up and one of his mates had one. Spent years restoring and machining spare parts for it but it was really impressive, even had a little tiny trailer on it as well.
      Not a comfortable machine!
      Your butt cheeks and spine are the suspension

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Slovenian army has started to use some new STRiX eMotors bikes.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous
      • 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

At least they have proper bikes. Imagine being Russian and having to ride to your death on a Chinese 250cc 4-stroke. If the enemy doesn't kill me the embarrassment or the chink QC surely will

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

good in urban to squash rebellions.
    good at hit and run atgm attacks.
    dubious at rushing a city.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

>For war they shit over bikes in big runny streams
    >have to drive through woods
    >keep having to back up and drive around because too big
    >uneven terrain threatens to flip the quad at all times, to big to just ride between big rocks
    >no style

Dirt bikes: 9/11
    Quads: shidded/no

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>defeated by lawn mowing clippings

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Unironically a good idea for low intensity conflicts. Provides high tactical mobility with a very limited logistical overhead. In any situation where artillery is involved they're useless.

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I was on an MLAT for 1/75 once back in the 2010s and they had some support team that had two dirt bikes and a quad palletized and loaded onto a C130 with the mini bird for CAS. I want to say it was some intel team but don’t remember who. It was hilarious watching the air crew all amped up running the helicopter out the back and getting it assembled and in the air inside 45 seconds while three dorks had to rip apart the pallet and get them unloaded over the course of like 5-10 minutes by comparison. Then the loadmaster was all type of pissed over the mess and there was no way to repalletize and secure them on the way back so they had to make their way back from HAA ok the ground.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *