Muh low mileage

Why are normies so obsessed with this? It's as if they're allergic to paying for vehicle maintenance or something, They'll literally pay near double the price for something because the dash has a lower number, which means it hasn't had any maintenance done that they'll probably be on the hook for, and that doesn't guarantee the valve cover doesn't look like pic related underneath.

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What's it like riding the bus daily?

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

are you moronic? people pay more precisely because of what you said-- the higher the mileage, the more likely something needs attention/has been neglected maintenance wise by a previous owner. it's so that the valve cover DOESNT look like that

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Would you believe me if I told you that was screencapped from a 2019 Rav4 with 40,000 miles on it? That's my question, why would you pay a premium for a car that's going to need everything at some point? You're better off buying the car with miles that someone has all the records, that's actually the best car, and let's say you're looking at a car with deferred maintenance, well you can get such a good deal on that car because the repairs are why it deprecated so hard, scoop that up on the cheap and fix it for the best car ever

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

no shit a car with maintenance records will be worth more and is a better idea than a car without maintenance records. that's a totally different argument

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>no shit a car with maintenance records will be worth more
          You'd be surprised how little you get back when you sell you car even if it's perfectly maintained Anon, normies don't wanna hear it, they would rather have something low mileage with 3 oil receipts and nothing else that they can massively overpay for.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

This. Maintenance means shit. I hate the used car market so much. Every bit of maintenance you do is throwing money away if you plan to sell it.
            Body and paint condition, interior cleanliness is the ticket to asking big bucks.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I hate the used car market so much
            Same, while I hate to see morons get scammed by buying shit cars from the auction that look nice and are all cleaned up, they kinda deserve it for being an emotional buyer, not doing their due diligence and looking over their shit, and just saying "oh, this car looks really really nice and has low miles, so I reckon it's probably good."

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Car issues are hard to pick up on. Engine and trans issues, cooling, head gasket issues - all that stuff can be hidden and cleaned up for sale for unsuspecting NPCs.
            Cars are very complicated and always gradually shitting themselves.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I hate the used car market so much
            Same, while I hate to see morons get scammed by buying shit cars from the auction that look nice and are all cleaned up, they kinda deserve it for being an emotional buyer, not doing their due diligence and looking over their shit, and just saying "oh, this car looks really really nice and has low miles, so I reckon it's probably good."

Car issues are hard to pick up on. Engine and trans issues, cooling, head gasket issues - all that stuff can be hidden and cleaned up for sale for unsuspecting NPCs.
            Cars are very complicated and always gradually shitting themselves.

I actually look extra carefully if the car is too clean or if things arent as worn down as they should be
            >Engine bay clean
            Covering up oil/coolant leaks
            >Fresh black undercoating
            Covering up rusty frickin panels
            >Shiny tires
            Theyre old as shit. Check the manufacture date
            >Crystal clear headlights
            One was replaced. Check if theyre both OEM.
            >Driver seat leather outer cushion is mint
            It was resprayed to cover cracked/ripped leather
            >Windshield has no micro scratches
            Windshield was replaced. Possible accident

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yep I agree.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I always roll my odometers back AT LEAST 40K before selling a car

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

in my case high mileage is good because it's very likely the head gasket hasn't gone

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Hahahahaha but seriously low mileage is better in every way

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Why are normies so obsessed with this?
    Because they've caught onto planned obsolescence and want cars before they get quickly worn out.
    What REALLY matters is that the car is well engineered. If it's a huge piece of shit like the turbo ford escapes for example, then no amount of maintenance is going to keep it from dying because it's a poorly engineered piece of shit.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Because they've caught onto planned obsolescence and want cars before they get quickly worn out.
      I could see this mentally on a shitty Volkswagen Audi product, or some thing built with German autism, but normies will literally overpay for low miles on a naturally aspirated Honda or Toyota engine.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Do you think a random idiot would obsessively check and maintain every little compoent of their car? Do you think a random idiot would even know how to maintain their car?
        That's the average seller, and that's what people have in their heads when they think of you or anyone else that they're thinking of buying a car from.
        You're not special until proven otherwise, so don't expect the average car buyer to act like your shitbox is anything but.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>car breaks down, you can't go to work
    >instead of earning a day's labor you spend a week's labor
    >gee how could people dislike this

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

My car is extremely old and I've never been unable to get to work, people need to take care of their fricking shit better, otherwise a car isn't for them, and you'd be surprised how many people with really late model used cars have no business even having a car because they can barely afford the car, let alone maintain anything, a low mileage car isn't gonna stop these people from eventually running into problems, because they're a piece of shit owner to begin with.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

yeah well most people are exactly like what you described, so why wouldn't you take a car off their hands that they've had less time to mess up?
        are you autistic, moronic, or both? shit fricking thread

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Who says they have to be messed up? Especially when you look at a car that's a good bit older and has maybe 130,000 miles on it, work will have to be done to keep that car going, otherwise it would obviously present itself as a shitbox, but a late model car that's 3 years old can be very deceiving if an owner has been neglecting things like oil changes, because the rest of the vehicle will present itself so well, since cars don't typically fall apart after 3 years even when neglected, but you add aging and mileage into the mix, and the cars that had shit owners will reveal themselves, and you just won't buy them, or you won't even see the ones with savage owners for sale because they're probably no longer around.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Looks like someone's mad because it's being pointed out that buying based on mileage won't guarantee you're not buying the car someone is selling because they did not want to maintain.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

OP just seething as a poorgay.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>An off-lease car someone did not maintain with low miles is just as valuble and good as something that has never been driven

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I guarantee that the cabriolet hasn't been maintained, and show me in the OP where "off-lease" was mentioned.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>OP where "off-lease" was mentioned.
          It doesn't need to be mentioned, 3 year old cars with under 36,000 miles typically are off lease cars, people don't just drive something 26,000 miles on 3 years and sell it, they leased it because they didn't want to deal with anything, dumped it off at the stealership, and then got a new whip, that's how it works, and morons see these low mileage cars and think it's the best car ever, when often times you're paying a premium for something people may have driven the hell out of, because it's a rental car at the end of the day, it's not theirs, so they don't give a frick about mishandling or mistreating this car.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I tend to only go for approved used cars from the manufacturer.

Last used car was a Mercedes with 35k miles - the owner had it on a lease so were suckered into a manufacturer service plan so the car has been very well maintained

Problem is high mileage cars without any service history... could be a timebomb. At least lower mileage mitigates potential issues

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm allergic to mileage, I buy cars new and run them into the ground. I haven't bought a new car since 2008 because this civic won't die. I keep up on all the maintenance exactly as Honda says with OEM parts. Everything works and the car is practically mint at 330k miles and I know how it was taken care of because I had the thing since the odometer was in the single digits. Would I get a different 300k mile civic? Frick no

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Original engine? holy shit

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Theres a few million mile 8th gen civics out there. The engine usually outlasts the transmission though

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Even better, original transmission

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If the owner was female, triple the mileage.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The average normie just wants a car that they can jump into, turn the key, and drive around with 0 thought. Lower mile cars make them think they can do that.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>tfw walk into breakroom at work
      >hear assessment manager talking about flashing CEL on his 3yo kia and how it's struggling to run and he's gotta go to the dealer
      Lmao these cars are junk even with low miles at this point.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Of course it's junk, its a Korean shitbox.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Oh it's not just them, Honda 1.5T is already eating coolant while not being that old, frickin Ford 1.5T and 2.3L Egoboosts will swallow coolant when the head gasket blows out as well , everything available to buy used with less than 100K is basically junk, and it wasn't always this way, back in the era of 2.4L-2.5L NA engines, it didn't matter if you bought a 4 cylinder fusion, a Camry, an Accord, you know what you had would go several hundred thousand miles and it wouldn't matter if you just cared for it, but these cars now are basically throwaway items, if the warranty's done, might as well through the whole car away because it's not getting the $5K head gasket job when that shit blows up.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I totally agree with you. Throwaway culture is getting totally out of hand and cars are now looked at as the same way as the latest iPhone. Cars are being built with this mentality in mind.

They're basically something you keep for a year or 2 and then upgrade to the next one, it's smart since you get a perpetual moron who's willing to permanently make payments thus ensuring a consistent stream of income.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I wonder if retired police cars would be worth it to buy because of this. Yes, they're driven hard and idle all day long, but they're also cheap, are built/modified with performance in mind and have impeccable service records due to being fleet vehicles

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

They might've been a good value back when they were Crown vics, because those things could handle moronic ass police officers driving it hard and idling it for a million hours, but I don't see how a used V6 ford police vehicle is gonna be a good value unless they're selling it stupid cheap, you'd be better off buying a regular ass, used Exploder that someone just used as a daily, and wasn't chasing Black folk in HEMIs that they can't possibly catch and driving over curbs and other stupid shit.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I totally forgot they had Hemi chargers, I still think they'd only be good for a very very cheap price, because they are abused.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

worth it? this is in CAD

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That's kind of based, the price is so low, you can pretty much afford to fix anything.

• 1 month ago
            Supra80

That's good, because the 5.7 Hemi probably has THE hemi-tick caused by hours of idling at low rpm with low oil pressure.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I'd look for a Chevy Caprice with the LS V8 if you're going for a cop car. Its about the cheapest LS you can get.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

they never used them as police cars here so that may be kind of hard to find locally, historically it was just ford and only somewhat recently did they start getting chargers

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I've owned nothing but mid-to-high mileage cars and let me tell you what I've learned. Lowest miles vehicle I ever had started at 99,500 and I put 55,000 on it with nothing but oil changes and brakes.
    Most expensive vehicle I've owned so far cost $5.5k
    Used cars have never given me serious problems, but there's luck and a bit of "gut feel" that goes with the selection process.

>If it feels wrong it is wrong, don't buy it
    >if the seller/owner feels like a liar or idiot, they are a liar or idiot. don't buy it
    >prepare your monthly expenses budget accordingly with expected parts/work
    >check all fluids condition, expect brakes/power steering to be basically original. expect coolant to be due.
    >test drive ten miles then do three or four WOT through all gears, then do 10 minutes of stop-go city driving
    >this will show you how bad, or not, the trans is
    >mounts, belts/timing, and spark plugs are probably factory originals unless told otherwise
    >all your rubber parts are end of life
    >shocks/struts may have become worn and leaked a little, but if there's no sag and the "bounce test" passes it isnt a problem for a long time
    >any mechanically significant rust on suspension/brake parts or major frame areas near them instantly cuts asking price in half (if they were asking for "Fair value")

I think over the span of ~200k miles I've spent about 10 grand on vehicles, not including gas/oil/tires but including susp/brake/exhaust stuff.
    I can't imagine purchasing an overpriced vehicle with 40k on the clock and thinking "ah yeah this is it, no surprises or extra costs just the car payment". What's the cheapest not-a-deathbox 40k mile, 4 door vehicle out there right now? Like $15, 18k? More?
    I've spent half as much putting more miles on used vehicles.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>5 cents a mile
      That's pretty based, I'm a wrenchlet, and calculating all the money spent on my car keeping it alive, divided by the miles I've put on comes out to 9 cents a mile.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Buying a used car is like marrying a woman who isn't a virgin

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

but new cars don't have what i want

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

We're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard spot.
      All the new cars today are like Fetal Alcohol babies or have some sort of Neuroatypical shit going on.
      Honestly it's a coin flip at the right price nowadays

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *