My dad has a really cool 1967 Lambretta just rotting away under a sheet in his garage.

My dad has a really cool 1967 Lambretta just rotting away under a sheet in his garage. He loved it when he was young, and it's literally just sat there for the last 40+ years

He never looks at it or even gets it out... I've asked him why not get it out and clean it up, make it run again, but he just says no.

Why would somebody do this? Is it some kind of source of sadness to him or what (a sign he is getting too old now for it?) Thoughts?

No going to keep asking about it, but I think it's such a shame

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

BTW should have get pic related - this is not a picture of it, but the same model

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>Why would somebody do this?
    Declining mental health from a combination of old age and decades of leaded gasoline, lead in the water, DDT, arsenic, and 30 other things.

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Did you ask if you could do that? Cause old people like to slowly degrade things, they hate restoration. But sometimes they will allow someone else to buy and restore their stuff, with the hopes that they will give up and let it rot forever

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I've asked if I can do it for him and he just says "nah it's fine".

Literally falling to bits and will be scrap by the time he passes away at this rate

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

That's just boomer stubbornness. Do it anyways. You're his son. You're supposed to go against his word every once in a while.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Typical old person. They want their stuff to reflect themselves. Cool back in the day, useless now and Slowly degrading with age, content with doing nothing and not willing to improve things.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

My FIL has an old Aermacchi buried in the shed and he says the same thing to me. I thought I could use working on it together as a bonding exercise. I think he holds on to it because it reminds him of his youthful days, but is afraid to bring it out because his wife nagged him incessantly about it back in the day, the man is whipped as frick.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

If you want to restore it, make it clear you want to do it as a project for your own enjoyment, ask him in a way so it sounds like he'd be doing you a favor by letting you do it.
        It sounds like he thinks it'd be a hassle for you and he doesn't want to impose on you.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Take it in the dead of night, he won't miss it. He won't even look at it, he'd shrug his head and be mad for a bit but ultimately wouldn't care because he doesn't already.

It reminds me of my Dad, honestly, also a boomer. I wanted to get into car restoration since High School, but I wanted to practice on a POS in his garage growing up. He would NOT set time aside on his day off with me to help clean the garage until many, many years later.

It's one of those things that I really resented despite loving my parents.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

This. Just nail together some 2x4s in a shape that vaguely resembles a scooter and put it under the blanket. He'll never notice.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Or just buy a cheap scooter from Walmart and beat the shit out of it before putting it under the blanket

>Hmmm i remember it being more of a scooter. Time is brutal

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It is a memory for him just like an old picture. He probably got his first kiss from your mom on that thing and rode it to his first job. He knows he would never ride it again so fixing it would be a waste.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

My FIL has an old Aermacchi buried in the shed and he says the same thing to me. I thought I could use working on it together as a bonding exercise. I think he holds on to it because it reminds him of his youthful days, but is afraid to bring it out because his wife nagged him incessantly about it back in the day, the man is whipped as frick.

These both sound just like him... ah well. It's weird because he spent a week stripping wallpaper manually sweating like a motherfricker/filling holes/painting instead of just paying someone to do it in a day, but won't spend time doing anything actually useful

Take it in the dead of night, he won't miss it. He won't even look at it, he'd shrug his head and be mad for a bit but ultimately wouldn't care because he doesn't already.

It reminds me of my Dad, honestly, also a boomer. I wanted to get into car restoration since High School, but I wanted to practice on a POS in his garage growing up. He would NOT set time aside on his day off with me to help clean the garage until many, many years later.

It's one of those things that I really resented despite loving my parents.

Fricking brutal right in the feels...

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Anon, just fix it up. Old people do things for different reasons, my granmpy would have done that because he wouldn't want me to "get worked up over it" or "wast time on it". Often times this means "you're just doing this out of obligation and you don't actually REALLY wanna do it" (like how a woman does). In reality, they just want you to take initiative and just go for it.

Take it out and start working on it. Don't tell him, just let him see. You might get some resistance, but unless it's an obviously serious objection to you touching it, then just keep going.
    Good luck, and God bless you for restoring it. (if you do).

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Not for sale
    I know what I got

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

wait for him to go on a cruise or whatever boomer shit he leaves the house to do and surprise him

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous
  10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous
  11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous
  12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

hes was probably getting tight vagine and then he rode the bus one time and met your mom and now its just reminds him of a better time before you and your mom. or whatever

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>but he just says no.

For good reason. He won't ride it, so the only person he knows will be YOU riding it until you get run over be teens texting or soem soccer mom that swerves into you because she mentally only looks for large things on the road. There's way too many people who do not see small objects because they are only casually looking at the road while thinking of other things. In that case, they physically see you there but it psychologically fails to register in their brain until after they have sideswiped you.

If you have a long history of riding the motorcycle safely, then you can point that out to him. Otherwise, you are a first time biker and will get run over or mugged because BLM wants to sell the scooter.

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Ask him to leave it to you in his will. So he knows you love it. Maybe something will flow from that.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *