New or used?

I will be coming into a small settlement of 30,000 dollars next month. Currently driving an 07 Toyota Yaris with 200k miles that is on its last legs. Every 6 months since I’ve had the car I’ve had a major expense, whether it’s replacing the entire suspension and radiator, new rotors, pistons, pads. Alternator and battery. It’s rusting fairly heavily, and needs an entire exhaust from the intake manifold back to the muffler. I’m sick of putting thousands of dollars into this thing, especially since I’m 6’1 and it’s incredibly uncomfortable to drive.
I’ve been looking at used cars, and it seems like for anything less than 18,000 I’m looking at an economy car / crossover with north of 100,000 miles and close to 10 years old. I could get into a new civic ex for around 25, but that would use almost all the money.
I’d probably recoup 2500 at this point when the Yaris sells.
Vehicles I’m currently looking at new:
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Camry
Vehicles I’m looking at used:
Honda civic
Honda CRV
Honda accord
Toyota Corolla
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Camry
Am I missing anything? Should I be looking at domestics even though they’re less reliable and may cost more to maintain? It seems like it’s not even worth buying used right now when the prices are so inflated.
Appreciate the advice

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

new camry

hybrid. reliable. looks good.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah but isn’t a hybrid going to cost me way more down the line for batteries and maintenance? It seems like the offset in fuel wouldn’t break even on that. Assume I’m keeping the car for at least 10 years and will put 300,000 miles on it.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No, there's literally countless hybrids that have gone 10+ years without a battery replacement, and plenty that still have around 90% capacity. Battery technology has only improved since the 2000s, so you're almost certain to get a more reliable battery. Plus battery prices are going down all the time, and it's not like an EV battery where it's a huge part of the car - you're getting a couple kWh at most, which is pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

you never had a Toyota hybrid looks like

where in the frick you live? bumfrick, Oklahoma?

engines are barely used. batteries last 10-15 years.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mazda over any of those these days

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah.

https://i.imgur.com/EUgQGh7.jpeg

I will be coming into a small settlement of 30,000 dollars next month. Currently driving an 07 Toyota Yaris with 200k miles that is on its last legs. Every 6 months since I’ve had the car I’ve had a major expense, whether it’s replacing the entire suspension and radiator, new rotors, pistons, pads. Alternator and battery. It’s rusting fairly heavily, and needs an entire exhaust from the intake manifold back to the muffler. I’m sick of putting thousands of dollars into this thing, especially since I’m 6’1 and it’s incredibly uncomfortable to drive.
      I’ve been looking at used cars, and it seems like for anything less than 18,000 I’m looking at an economy car / crossover with north of 100,000 miles and close to 10 years old. I could get into a new civic ex for around 25, but that would use almost all the money.
      I’d probably recoup 2500 at this point when the Yaris sells.
      Vehicles I’m currently looking at new:
      Honda Civic
      Toyota Corolla
      Toyota Camry
      Vehicles I’m looking at used:
      Honda civic
      Honda CRV
      Honda accord
      Toyota Corolla
      Toyota RAV4
      Toyota Camry
      Am I missing anything? Should I be looking at domestics even though they’re less reliable and may cost more to maintain? It seems like it’s not even worth buying used right now when the prices are so inflated.
      Appreciate the advice

Everything you listed is basically just a shitbox, so if you're going that route just get the Mazda equivalent since it will at least be a nice to drive shitbox.
      What you should actually do is get a brand new '23 chally rt though

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>that discount

Okay, what’s wrong with it? Did it get flooded in Hurricane Idalia or something?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No, it's brand new. Its not even that good of a deal

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

stallantis shat the bed hard and the dealerships tried to scam people with 'last call' bullshit that everyone saw through. now they are panicking and doing deep discounts

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>I'm about to get $30k
    >help me spend every last penny of it on a new car
    Buy a 10 year old civic and put the rest in an investment account.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>investment account
      So I can lose it all when the housing market crashes. No thanks.

No, there's literally countless hybrids that have gone 10+ years without a battery replacement, and plenty that still have around 90% capacity. Battery technology has only improved since the 2000s, so you're almost certain to get a more reliable battery. Plus battery prices are going down all the time, and it's not like an EV battery where it's a huge part of the car - you're getting a couple kWh at most, which is pretty cheap.

That’s good to know

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>So I can lose it all when the housing market
        Did I say buy realestate you double Black person? No. You can't buy that with $30k anyway. I said INVESTMENT. Hell you can put it in a high interest savings account if you want they're over 4% right now. Stupid homosexual

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Anyway I think I’ve decided on a 2012-15 used CRV with AWD. It seems like I can find them reliably with under 100k miles and around 10-13k. That seems to be the sweet spot for benefit / cost ratio. It’ll get me out of my tiny shit box and into something more comfy and capable.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Exactly what I just did. Got a 2016 CR-V EXL with 35k mi on it for only $16,500 and I really love it. You could easily find one in that $10-13k range with around 100k miles

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>My japscrap is woefully unreliable and repairs are too expensive
    >I'm only looking at japscrap to replace it
    Do normies really? Plenty of domestics are going to be more reliable than a Yaris, do your homework on tge specific model/powertrain you are buying instead of trusting a brand. I had a 270k mile Focus that aside from routine wear items needed one wheel bearing and one $28 sensor in the >100k miles I put on it in five years.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Then name a crossover or truck in the 10-15k price range that has all wheel / four wheel drive and is as reliable as a crv?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Also my shitbox is unreliable because it was crashed in a ditch and sat for over a year collecting rust. But it was all I could afford at the time. It’s mostly the bumper to bumper rust that is causing mechanical issues. The engine has been fine. I’ve driven Hondas and Toyotas my whole life with zero engine problems.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>buying a depreciating asset
    Take the ramsey pill. The cost of a new car over its lifetime, if put into a mutual fund, will equal 5 million dollars by retirement. You don't love your car as much as you think anon.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OP may have a different opinion, but this is unironically the right answer. If you're debating between that and buying a soulless cuckbox (there are no good new cars), just get a beater and put the rest in an index fund.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous
  7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Look at a Ford Escape S. The most overlooked daily driver of all time. It's the last vehicle ever(?) made with a NA port-injection engine paired with a traditional automatic gearbox. Sure there's plenty of older cars that meet the same criteria but they're all much older with many more miles. You can get a 2018 Escape S with 60k miles for like 12k.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I thought ford escapes blow transmissions. The idea here is to not get stuck with a 10,000 dollar repair bill anytime soon.

https://i.imgur.com/fSvSSSi.jpeg

>buying a depreciating asset
      Take the ramsey pill. The cost of a new car over its lifetime, if put into a mutual fund, will equal 5 million dollars by retirement. You don't love your car as much as you think anon.

I don’t love my car I need it for transportation. And that’s bullshit. 30k is not going to equal 3 million in 30 years.

Exactly what I just did. Got a 2016 CR-V EXL with 35k mi on it for only $16,500 and I really love it. You could easily find one in that $10-13k range with around 100k miles

Yeah I’ll probably do this. It’s not my ideal vehicle but it’ll work until I’m out of school. Consistently makes top 5 best used small suv lists.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I also looked at smaller cars but what pushed me to go with the CR-V was that the cost compared to a Fit, Yaris, Prius, etc ended up being about the same so I figured why not get something woth better room and safety. They're as common as pigeons on the road because they last forever and are cheap/easy to repair so people hang onto them, and if you want to sell it aftwr school you'llhang onto more resale value than similar competitors. I'm on my second CR-V and will probably end up getting another one in 10 years.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>30k is not going to equal 3 million in 30 years
        >he doesn't know
        It will be worth heaps more. If you need it for transport then a 5 to 10 yo civic or camry or literally whatever from Honda and Toyota. You don't need 30K for a car. 10K is luxurious.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No it won’t lol. What fricking return rate are you calculating? 80%? Either way I’m going to buy used.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>>30k is not going to equal 3 million in 30 years
            >>he doesn't know
            >It will be worth heaps more.
            If you drop $30k in an investment and need $3m in 30 years, you need over 16.5% annual ROI. Whose mutual fund are you using? Nancy Pelosi's???

Sorry that was a typo. Meant to say it will be worth heaps though. As in a lit more than 30K. Worth not buying a fricking car with, that is for sure. The ">he doesn't know" part was just me being flippant.

Either way, buy a sub 10K car and put the 20K into some steady investment. In just a few years you will say "that anon is very wise".

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>>30k is not going to equal 3 million in 30 years
          >>he doesn't know
          >It will be worth heaps more.
          If you drop $30k in an investment and need $3m in 30 years, you need over 16.5% annual ROI. Whose mutual fund are you using? Nancy Pelosi's???

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No the Escape uses a different transmission.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nah
      Cracked blocks all day

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You’re on the right path anon but don’t ignore the Prius or gen 3 Insight. They are very reliable and low maintenance cars. The transmission lasts quite literally forever, the brakes can go 150k miles or more due to the motor doing a lot of the braking, the engine takes little oil and rarely needs to get changed and is very dependable in both vehicles AND you get an average of 50 mpg. If you just want cheap reliable wheels you can’t beat it. The Insight is a nicer car and handles better than the Prius and looks pretty much like a Civic so I personally would go that route.
    t. 3d gen Ibsight owner

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you can charge at home I recommend getting a used Tesla. You'll save about 3000 dollars a year on gas and you'll have hardly any repairs at all.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's only if OP is a homosexual

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>used/new Honda civic
    good cars, even new. reliable. new ones have good power for the size. 6spd manuals are available, non-turbo 2.0L forever-engine is available. 2006-2013 models have a 5spd automatic that's pretty solid. The old 1.8L engines are pretty bulletproof too, but they do leak coolant. New 1.5T has oil dilution issues, so if you do get a 2017+ model make DAMN sure to change the oil frequently, or just get the base model 2.0. CVT models require fluid changes.
    >used Honda CRV
    2002-2011 models are your best bet. I fricking hate the things but they're ok. 2012+ models have CVT transmissions that are maintenance prostitutes, they require fluid changes. Newest one is a boring soccer mom cuckover with the same engine as the Civic.
    >used Honda accord
    buy a used 2017-2021 model with the 2.0T engine. Those are indestructible, and come with a 10spd automatic or sometimes a 6spd manual. Alternately:
    2003-2007 4-cylinder (2003-2005 V6 has transmission issues. cute smiley face will get you backhanded compliments from girls)
    2008-2012 4-cylinder (NOT V6 in those years! V6's VCM causes the engine to burn huge amounts of oil)
    2013-2016 V6 (4-cylinders have CVTs, same as the CR-V, maintenance prostitutes. V6 has a 6spd automatic)
    >new/used Toyota Corolla
    still corolla-reliable to my knowledge. get the base model with the shittier low-stress engine, or previous gen with the 1.8L 2ZR-FE. 6spd manuals are still available in some trims, even in the new ones. Go for it.
    >used Toyota RAV4
    Just don't. The engines are good but they're just not as reliable as corollas. They always end up being huge death traps by the time they're 20. 5spd manuals were available through 2004. Their automatic transmissions were kinda shitty i think, some russian guys i knew managed to kill one.
    >new/used Toyota Camry
    grandma car but they're alright. the really old ones have plot armor and cannot be killed even under extreme abuse and neglect. newer ones are reliable too but i don't know about 2021+

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Not OP, but any suggestions on a manual from this group. Ive been looking at a civic si just for a little bit of fun up from base model, but ive also seen people say turbos frick cheap/shit boxes up long term and drop reliability. im coming from an 07 accord but they stopped making the accord manual so not sure whats comparable these days.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buying a used car is like marrying a girl who isn't a virgin

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>is like marrying a girl who isn't a virgin
      As in it's normal, but basement dwelling morons will have a huge shitfit about it on DA?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous
      • 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's only normal for you poors.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Am I missing anything? Should I be looking at domestics even though they’re less reliable and may cost more to maintain? It seems like it’s not even worth buying used right now when the prices are so inflated.
    >Appreciate the advice

If you don't need a hatch, get a used Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES. You should be able to find a 3-5 year old one in good condition for about $30k, potentially with all the bells and whistles if you buy towards the older end of that range. Toyota Venzas and Lexus NXes should also be doable for that same money if you're looking for "RAV4 but better" in the same way that Avalons/ESes are a "Camry but better".

Alternatively, if you want to keep money in your pocket and have an AGI of under $75k, the nicest PHEV or BEV with a 8kWH battery or larger you that you can can find for $25k or less (Honda Clarity Touring is a particularly nice option if you can deal with no hatch), since after tax incentives, you'll get a free $4k back as a rebate.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i own multiple supercars and new rover, but my daily is an ex kek. the cloth seat is unironically more comfy than anything that exists (not sure about 24), i like the moronic mechanical pump and lever to lift and move, and land rover should take tips from the complete lack of any bullshit tech except supporting apple/android functionality. the fwd lets you sound like you’re burning out doing 20mph uturning too which is based. and its usually the most worthless piece of shit going to any good event so i absolutely do run to the end of the line and force people to play insurance chicken with my dog shit car and i always win. it will never break down, ever
    i dont know if id suggest buying a new one, maybe a used one and put the other 10-15k in an etf

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>an 07 Toyota Yaris with 200k miles that is on its last legs. Every 6 months since I’ve had the car I’ve had a major expense, whether it’s replacing the entire suspension and radiator, new rotors, pistons, pads. Alternator and battery. It’s rusting fairly heavily, and needs an entire exhaust from the intake manifold back to the muffler. I’m sick of putting thousands of dollars into this thing
    Lmao but Toyota gays told me their cars run forever with just oil changes? I’ve had to do less to my German sports sedan since I’ve owned it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *