Oil pressure too high

my 2009 chevy van with 5.3 vortec used to run at 40 no matter what
Now it idles a but under 40 and and if I put my foot in it, it goes up to 60.

What could cause this?
Should I go down to 0W20 ?
Right now I run 5W30

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Why does pressure go up when I stomp on it
    Bernoulli's principle.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

But it never did that before and I have had this van for years.
      Also when it gets really high I get an oil leak

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Why do I make bold claims all the time
      Dunning-Kruger effect.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Just pitch a tent on your bike, instead of the ground bro

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Its nice to be off the ground though and they deploy really fast.

I am hoping they come out with one for my mountain bike

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>mountain bike
        I think you just came out

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

fatty

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Mountain biking is the only heterosexual cycling activity

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Right? I bet that fatty comes from planet mountain dew

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my trailblazer with Vortec 4200 idles at 41psi and can reach 60psi at 3000rpm.
    get an oil change if your oil is old. use 5w30. what you're seeing is normal, but as oil gets used you can expect pressure to decrease as it shears.
    if you use 0w20 you'll see even lower oil pressure.
    also the oil pressure sensors can go bad on those so if it's acting strange or erratic you can replace it with an OEM unit.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The sensor looks easy to replace maybe I will try that. It does seem to correspond pretty evenly with rpms though.
      Another weird symptom that started at the same time is that my coolant temp goes past 210 sometimes which it never used to do

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

you should make sure your fan clutch is working and engaging at idle. if it goes past 210 while you're sitting there idling at red lights or whatever, your fan clutch is probably shot. if it's happening under load, your radiator or cooling passages are probably clogged with dexcool sludge or rust.
        if your heating seems weak during overtemp events, your water pump could be on its way out.
        if it warms up past 210, and then settles to 210 after, your thermostat is lazy.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

also your oil is cooled by coolant, so if you're running hotter than usual, your oil will also be hotter and thinner than usual, resulting in weaker oil pressure, especially noticeable at idle.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I think your lazy thermostat sounds like the most likely and fits what I have watched it do. Well done
          Thanks!

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

No problem. good luck with your van. Should last you forever.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'd expander adventure tent if you know what I mean.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That sound fricking intense

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Or fricking in tents, am I right?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Its fricking close to water

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Don't use thinner oil.
    One suggestion it could be a problem with the oil pressure relief valve - usually in or near the oil pump.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

thats seems hard to fix

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

dumbfricks like you are the reason why 99% of manufacturers put either a fake gauge or just an idiot light on the dash rather than a functional gauge

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Not OP, but why?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

because the average person has an IQ no higher than the average temperature of Southern California, so it saves manufacturers money on the assembly (pressure switches are cheaper than transducers, One less wire in the harness, and the electronics in the dash are far simpler especially with only an idiot light) and saves on wasted dealer time from dipshit customers who think the pressure is too low, too high, or get scared that it fluctuates while driving and think there is something wrong. It cuts down paying out warranty time for techs to diagnose the non-issue both because the customer would likely refuse to pay because they believe it's a warranty issue, and also it's better to bite the bullet for a half hour of labor vs the customer thinking the vehicle is broken and they are refusing to fix it, but those half hours across thousands and thousands of half hours add up.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>those half hours across thousands and thousands of VEHICLES adds up
          derp

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

But on this motor , there should be no fluctuation.
          The pressure relief valve is set at 40. 60 means it is malfunctioning

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

40-60 psi at like 2500+ is welllllll within spec for a gen 4. I highly doubt it was straight 40 psi idle to redline, it would need to have a big ass pump and relief to maintain that high of pressure at low rpm while still being able to relieve it at higher rpm (although its plausible if it has afm and/or vvt). even if it turns out to be entirely true that the relief somehow stuck closed, it is literally a non issue. could also be the secondary relief built into the pan that gm liked to do for whatever stupid reason, if you have a cast pan then it more than likely has a secondary relief.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>I highly doubt it was straight 40 psi idle to redline, it would need to have a big ass pump and relief to maintain that high of pressure
            And yet that is exactly how all the modern vortecs function

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>no

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

No, I get all that, and it's valid. However, in OP's case, assuming he's correctly relating the symptoms, he's had a truck show a certain oil pressure under all conditions for years and now it is suddenly showing a different, higher pressure. It's not showing a pressure that I would consider outside normal range (but I don't know the 5.3 Vortec) however, something has changed - oil pressure doesn't increase by 50% for no reason. So I think it's perfectly reasonable of OP to ask advice, as he could be seeing symptoms of something that could become serious. Now I do also agree that, if his truck only had an oil pressure light, this would probably just detect a low oil pressure situation, but I do think that this (your?) comment

dumbfricks like you are the reason why 99% of manufacturers put either a fake gauge or just an idiot light on the dash rather than a functional gauge

is both unhelpful and unnecessary. It's also the mark of you being a complete dick - but that's just my opinion, man

So why not offer OP some ideas why his truck oil pressure might have significantly increased, as you're obviously knowledgeable? I'll wait to cheer from the sidelines

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Either the pressure relief is somehow stuck or there's considerable sludge buildup in the oil passages.
    You can try pouring a quart of diesel fuel in the oil, run the engine till warm then do an oil change

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How are you possibly complaining about good oil pressure? Every LS we have is no less than 35 at idle and all run 60-80 under any throttle input over 1500rpm. Jesus christ my SBC and BBC all run similar.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Those all have the smaller oil pump

>no

Care you elaborate?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

gen 3, 20psi idle, 50 max

gen 4, 30 idle, 50 max

gen 5, 35 maybe 40 idle, 80 max

no generation of 5.3, or ls/lt, or 99% of engines in general with a mechanical oil pump (Even the Gen 5 with its variable displacement vane pump) sit at one specific oil pressure level from idle to redline. it's inefficient to run high pressure at low speed (still costs HP to pump and pressurize the oil) and moronic to run low pressure at high speed (insufficient oil cushion to counteract increased force and momentum = rip bearings), and needless to try to compromise and keep one specific pressure for zero gain.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

That first one the guy was at 4k rmps and the pressure was just over 40
          I think you disproved your own point

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

not the claim nor the argument. try again.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Most vans will never ever see 4000 rpm
            The pressure relief valve works amazingly to maintain exactly 40 psi at any normal working load.
            If you see fluctuations in that range there is a problem

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

for the 2nd time, not the claim nor the argument. try again.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

So you do not refute his statement ?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

irrelevant. not the claim nor the argument. try again.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

no u try again

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

That looks so precarious. Hope you found a good stone to put under the kickstand

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You woulnt want to sleep in there if you had the jimmy legs

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Wouldn't it be good if you car is that old and it keeps pressure? If it raises that's just natural physics. Get a pressure release valve.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

5.3s always leak from the crank sensor

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

kek meanwhile mines pushing 80psi guess ill swap to thicker oil and just let it thin out because i thrash the c**t so much

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

thicker oil just increases pressure

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

its a higher milage barrra running 10-30w

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

but you dont need higher pressure if its 80 psi already

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

oh noice previous owner put the gauge in i hate it the electric sender keeps cutting out

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

if thyne gage offends thee , pluck it iout

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

now i know what's wrong with my 03 silverado. guess ill take a show at getting it back to normal

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *