Old cartoon are more beautiful

I know I sound like a nostalgiagay, but it's true, there's this dreamy feel to the old cartoons and the backgrounds look like paintings rather than cheap images plastered together.

What happened?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The backgrounds are paintings.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

morons will keep arguing over buzzwords but it's this.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous
      • 7 days ago
        Anonymous

You're not wrong, but that's fricking AKIRA. Direct-to-video toy-selling cartoons aren't really on the same level.

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559310586022.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1545/48/1545481361484.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559310310982.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1525/28/1525288463385.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/30/1559309398909.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559310682899.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/30/1559309477382.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559311136730.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559311385167.jpg
        https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/a/image/1559/31/1559311313463.jpg

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

What's your point?

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

OP is pointing out the obvious, homie. Don't be stupid.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The digital art revolution happened. Suddenly, everybody was taking shortcuts.

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

They aren't outsourced to Japanese sweatshops anymore.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

I always like those backgrounds you saw in older anime

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Art done by hand looks better and more natural compared to art done using digital tools. You're not a nostlagiagay, OP.

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Think how it all began

?si=Po9t3wiWF2US_yN2

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Gay ass shit

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I genuinely didn't think Moby could get any gayer than he already was, but here we are, I guess.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Isn't He-Man a He-Homo?

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

No, he's a non-sexual children's character designed to sell toys.

• 7 days ago
          Anonymous

Now he's used as a sex toy, wink wink.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

This is the most gay liberal crap I've ever seen, so preachy and obnoxious.

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

I always thought that people who do this are this edgy people.

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>What happened?
    Laziness and greed

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

This is like the 7th Care Bears thread in a month
    Who keeps shilling this shit?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

OP's question has nothing to do with Care Bears

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Old cartoons had to have actual paintings as backgrounds. There is texture from the paper/canvas and the medium used. There are also human "mistakes" like unperfect lines, etc. In digital there is usually no texture and if there is, it's flat and artificial.
    I'm pretty sure Sponge Bob uses tradition backgrounds still.

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>Old cartoon are more beautiful

Yes they are, OP. Yes they are.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Case in point.

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

there's something about being shot on film and hand-painted that gives even the most mediocre cartoons an element of charm
    pic related, a background from All Dogs Go to Heaven 2

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>being shot on film and hand-painted
      The answer is in the question. It has been made personally, "by hand". When you do something like a story full of emotions, colors, ideas and atmosphere, all of this tends to rub on you during work - which creates emotions and a wish to do it, to do it better, to create something really good, to put yourself into it - and this, in turn, exactly what "soul" in creations is.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

i feel you
      hand painted backgrounds from traditional animation are very beautiful and charming
      here's this one form the first all dogs

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

hand drawn was so much better, it makes me sad that i was born after it was already over...

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It's because everything is hand made, also for some reason everything in the 70s, 80s and 90s has this sense of dreamy melancholy to it that new stuff just refuses to do. There are beautiful moments in newer shows but it's not soul stirring like the old stuff. I'm not sure why I resonate so much to stuff I wasn't around for, but today's shows are better written, but they lack a lot of human innocence and soul. Only way I can put it without getting pretentious. It's almost cheesy, but I still appreciate it. Society is too picky now, and ADHD riddled, so they don't make stuff like it anymore. And I like the cynical humor honesty of newer stuff but I'd like it if once those shows would have genuine moments like this. It's the small things. The backgrounds, the shot choices, the swelling music, the sound effects. Animation can be otherworldly, but people never use that to their advantage.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

>everything in the 70s, 80s and 90s has this sense of dreamy melancholy
      Not exactly everything, but, as a lot of things were played straight, emotions were genuine, and their expression too.
      >today's shows are better written
      Now that is quite questionable.
      >but they lack a lot of human innocence and soul
      That is because most of them had decided to took the irony and satire as their main motive, but had forgotten, that applying this two randomly without actually understanding things they are applied to looks like a complaint of a newbie, that "this show from 80s is outdated" because they can watch a thing only if it has latest date of release.
      There are some creators, that still retain soul, but modern CEOs are just as soulless as talentless hacks they hire - and only thing they remember is that shitting on something is supposed to make it "obsolete" in the eyes of the wide public, so instead of experimenting with something new a giant mass-wipe work is being conducted to prepare viewers to watch only shitty modrtn things, as old things' feel can't be reproduced by cheap talentless hacks, talented people cost like no tomorrow AND have to be trained first in all departments (which takes a lot of money and a lot of time, which is even higher cost).
      Which leads us to an infinite cycle of cheapening. Next step is, supposedly, AI. And there it would either crush itself completely (best outcome) or will make majority of population into robots, disinterested in art at all (it will crush the industry too, but will also lead to a temporary death to certain arts for years if not decades) and will degrade the society - as if some factory were dumping toxic waste into oceans because cheaper, but at some moment most people die, while survivors have more important problems, than buying anything from that factory. They are sawing the branch they sit on, question is if the saw is covered in toxic oils enough to poison and kill the whole tree before branch is sawed off.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Give Scavengers Reign a shot. The writing is a bit shite but it has a shadow of what you're describing.

13. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Only from the 80s and after when they stepped it up some. Everything from the 70s is fricking awful to look at.

14. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

There was a belief once that creating a higher quality product would get more people to buy it. Then they realized quality is completely meaningless to your garden variety street moron, and they stopped marketing to people and started marketing to consumers.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

Then Adventure Time proved everyone wrong by getting more ratings and ad revenue than Korra.

15. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

They can still do it, just takes a lot of time and money so is not really worth it. A lot of cartoons do go for the hand drawn background now just digitally and less paint-like.

16. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

It's funny how 80s cartoons were considered the dark ages of animation yet they look better drawn than the shit we have today.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

Don't you mean 70's/60's? 80's is just called the toy commercial age

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

The problem is the ones that reused cells and reused poses and characters stood still in most scenes. I think those are on part with what we have now.

Of course not all are like this in either era.

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

That was more of a Hanna Barbera and Filmation issue because they didn't want to outsource (which in itself is commendable).

• 7 days ago
          Anonymous

It's obvious that the stuff animated by Japan instead of Korea looks way better, even if it looks a little stiff most of the time.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

the 70s were the real dark ages. the only people who b***h about the 80s were just upset the animators werent calling the shots on the story

17. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

I think something fundamentally lost in the digital shift, aside from simply the delicacy that goes into traditionally-painted backgrounds, is texture. Someone above mentioned SpongeBob and I think it's a great example: backgrounds like the metallic surfaces of the Krusty Krab have a very painterly look to them that gives them so much depth and feeling. There's digital brushes that try to recreate the look of traditional brushstrokes, sure, but it really just isn't the same, because you can never fully reproduce the look of paint smeared and mixed together.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Spongebob backgrounds are still painted

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

Partially

18. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

I like that the bear's quote is relevant towards the effort modern cartoons get.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

That’s why I picked it

19. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

All old cartoons are the same, rubberhose is just 90's beanmouth

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

But Carebears isn't rubberhouse and this is the 80's? Explain yourself.

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

I don't have to explain myself. I'm a zoomer, I know everything.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

You are so clueless yet so self-assured it's absurd. One day it'll cost you.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

But it atleast drawn in paper than digital.

20. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Knowledge of techniques brings improvement of quality over time. But in reverse??

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

It's money, they only did all by hand and paint-like backgrounds because computers couldn't do the work yet.

21. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Sonic SATAM from, from 1993 I think, is also from the era of painted backgrounds.

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

a lot of budget made for TV animation had gesture quality background paintings
      it looks rough in still but still pretty on merit of technique

22. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Braceface has really fricking ugly computer backgrounds.

23. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

The swap to digital at the start of the 2000s was REALLY fricking rough. The first season of Justice League got hit especially hard, you can see stuff like background shop signs being text boxes that they just typed stuff into in a stock font. The line art was also super low-res and looks awful compared to the hand-drawn stuff from before.
    Batman Beyond swapped to digital about halfway through, and the visual quality noticeably dipped, though not nearly as badly. The colours and lighting are all messed up.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

Although if there was one show that could be excused for trying to push modern and digital shit, it would be Batman Beyond.

Watch any random Disney cartoon from the 90s and it looks better than the highest budget 2D animation being made today. Insane how much talent we've lost over the years.

Not lost, purposefully infiltrated and destroyed by post-modernism and the cult of ugly. Its not even a profit-maximizing issue now, like the cheap shit animation of the 60-70s. They have all the cash in the world now and they use it to push ugly Black folk in disgusting artstyles, because thats what California likes now.

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

It IS almost lost though, they don't teach new animators the same techniques anymore

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

Anon... you're moronic. And not helpful.

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

Are you upset because the agenda you support is so visible and obvious now? I have no idea if muttoids are really just THAT moronic or delude themselves into thinking there is no hostile infiltration ongoing.

It IS almost lost though, they don't teach new animators the same techniques anymore

It is not "lost" it was destroyed on purpose. Now even if someone tried to restore it, they would have to start from scratch, with no support from older, more experienced animators, no tradition, no resources, etc.

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

What techniques do you mean?

24. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

Watch any random Disney cartoon from the 90s and it looks better than the highest budget 2D animation being made today. Insane how much talent we've lost over the years.

25. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

Do you really Care about these Bears?

26. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

>Nostalgic for the the dark age of animation
    What has this come too

• 6 days ago
      Anonymous

Reminder that Gummi Bears got us out of this mess.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *