PHEVs

Why did GM kill the Volt, bros? All these automakers are announcing future PHEVs, yet the original Volt is already better than most despite being made up to 11 years ago.

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

GM has a habit of killing their good products because they're too good.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

because GM is fricking moronic

Because their marketing department and engineering departments were moronic. They could have had a far broader appeal by garnering a better understanding of the cars potential, and also by using the drivetrain in other vehicles when sedans stopped selling. Imagine having this drivetrain in a colorado or something

Huh? Whats wrong with the bolt?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Oh wait i forgot that its not a phev

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

It's a piece of fricking shit.
        All the motor electronics, drivetrain, control systems, and infotainment are made by LG Chem.
        They don't know how to make a fricking car.
        The software is fricking terrible, the range meter is useless, many basic car features are just gone or implemented poorly.
        Even if it was the volt style engine generator drivetrain, it would be the biggest fricking garbage on the market. At least as a bev it competes with similarly shit bastard child cars

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

because GM is fricking moronic

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Because their marketing department and engineering departments were moronic. They could have had a far broader appeal by garnering a better understanding of the cars potential, and also by using the drivetrain in other vehicles when sedans stopped selling. Imagine having this drivetrain in a colorado or something

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>Imagine having this drivetrain in a colorado or something
      Hopefully the Edison Motors kits take off. I'm strongly considering buying a 4 cyl first gen Colorado and doing a PHEV/Diesel Electric conversion if I can find a good electric center section for Dana or Toyota light truck axles. Probably do a Kubota D1102 generator powerplant, a 25KWh battery, and ~200 wheel horsepower, try and keep it under 4,000 lbs

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

PHEVs are only really good for a very very specific niche of drivers:
    >90% journeys under 20 miles
    >Remaining 10% over 100 miles
    >Able to charge at home whenever not being used
    That last one is not a problem for Americlaps but a big chunk of Europoors and Bongs don't have a driveway or even dedicated on-street parking where they can reliably charge from their property. Aside from that, you've essentially got a car that swaps between a really low-range EV that has to lug a heavy generator around and a middling ICE that has to lug heavy batteries and motors around. The drivetrains are always whack because of this too - many don't have a direct connection between the ICE and the wheels, instead using it as a genny to power the electric motors that actually turn the wheels.
    Pic related - most popular PHEV where I'm from and can be bought used for under $12k. The blobby pre-facelift version especially is fricking everywhere.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

who the frick cares about eurocucks

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>90% journeys under 20 miles
      >Remaining 10% over 100 miles
      >Able to charge at home whenever not being used
      I'm actually trying to achieve this lifestyle. Short commutes save me so much time it's unreal how nice it is to have that time back. If I could turn those miles into EV miles for nearly all of it, I'd drive nearly for free aside from amortizing the cost of the PHEV.

A Toyota Prius Prime would be my primary long-term candidate. Any cargo deficiencies can be fixed with spring swaps and hitch carriers.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Plug-in Priuses are really promising but Toyota have absolutely gouged the prices for them vs. the regular mild-hybrid model.
        Incidentally, I looked at Prius+ for a while but the market is absolutely flooded with nip imports in the UK. They seem like a good deal on the surface but no service history, Japanese infotainment/menus and importers are always lazy and don't bother removing the toll card device. Most importantly, the rust-proofing requirements for Japan are way lower than the UK so you either need to get the underside of the car proofed or deal with it rotting out way quicker than domestic market vehicles.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>Plug-in Priuses are really promising but Toyota have absolutely gouged the prices for them vs. the regular mild-hybrid model.
          Toyota Tax is bad here stateside as well, but Prius owners tend to do a lot of easy highway miles so it's not as concerning to see high mileage. They're designed to handle that.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

People didn't buy it because it's ugly af. I mean just look at it. The attempts at trying to visually lower the belt line and hide the huge slab sided-ness with cheap plastic just make it look shit. The fact some moron would try to put lipstick on a pig by adding wheels to one is even more laughable because they still look small because of the fricked up proportions.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The Model Y is the best selling car in the world and it's hideous.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Hybrids aren't eligible for the same government gibs as all electric. It's really that simple.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

They were when the Volt came out. The tax credit maximized at $7,500 which the Volt just barely qualified for with its 16 kWh battery.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Nobody bought them because spending $40k on a fricking Cruze was beyond moronic.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

It's not a Cruze. It's a different model built on the same platform. You wouldn't call an Escalade a Tahoe.

The Chevrolet Volt has the worst back seat of any sedan I have ever ridden in lol. It also has the worst center console interface I have ever used, with lifeless capacitive buttons. Glad it's dead!

>The Chevrolet Volt has the worst back seat of any sedan I have ever ridden in lol.
      I agree that it's pretty small and best suited for occasional use.

>It also has the worst center console interface I have ever used, with lifeless capacitive buttons.
      I rarely need to use it since the climate control is automated anyway. The steering wheel has media buttons on it. Overall, I find it's an overblown issue.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>You wouldn't call an Escalade a Tahoe.
        No because that would be a moronic comparison. An Escalade IS a Suburban though and the first gen Volt WAS a Cruze.

>Another reason was the use of General Motors's new global compact vehicle platform Delta II to keep costs reasonable, and shared with the 2010 model year Chevrolet Cruze

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Well a Tahoe is an Escalade and a Suburban is a Escalade ESV. Same with Yukon and Yukon XL.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It's literally not a Cruze. It shares a common platform. That's it. None of the body, interior, powertrain or suspension is interchangeable with the Cruze.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>None of the body, interior, powertrain or suspension is interchangeable with the Cruze.
            That's really irrelevant. It's built on the Cruze platform and it looks like a Cruze. That makes it a Cruze. Call it whatever you want but you were still a moron if you spent $40k on one.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>That's really irrelevant
            How? I'm giving you examples of what makes it different than the Cruze. You don't get to decide that's irrelevant. You might personally not care about either of them, but that doesn't change the fact that the Cruze and Volt are different vehicles with uncommon attributes.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I mean whatever helps you cope with the fact that you paid $40k for a Daewoo.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The Delta 2 platform was developed by Opel in Germany. Anything else you want to be wrong about?

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The Chevrolet Volt has the worst back seat of any sedan I have ever ridden in lol. It also has the worst center console interface I have ever used, with lifeless capacitive buttons. Glad it's dead!

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

No demand.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I blame their shitty marketing for that and their refusal to put it in something larger and more practical.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

ICE vehicles were making GM more money at the time. Hopefully the new Volt is awesome.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

1st gen fisher price 4 seater

2nd gen waaayyyy too cramped.

2nd gen should have been a crossover.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The first gen Volt had one of the nicest interiors you could get in a non-luxury car at the time.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You aren't allowed to own anything good, goy. You can eat the bugs and live in the pod and that's pretty much it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *