Portable jump starters

Are these things worth investing in, or are jumper cables enough?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They are good if you left your lights on and it drained the battery. They start getting sketchy if you are trying to start a car that maybe hasn't been run in a while or it's real cold out.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I’ve had sketchy luck with them tbh. Barely enough juice to get a slightly dead battery started in my experience. The giant ones are better.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have one of those and jumper cables just in case the portable battery runs out, it’s easier than finding some fricker

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They're convenient as frick especially if you're working on your own shit and had a vehicle sitting for a while. Mine also fast charges phones through USB-C

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

theyre brilliant and way easier than jumper cables

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

They're convenient as frick especially if you're working on your own shit and had a vehicle sitting for a while. Mine also fast charges phones through USB-C

This. I have bought like half a dozen of them for friends and family. Have had good luck with the Gooloo brand on Amazon for a Chinesium brand, some of them are like 5 years old now and still work. $50-$70 for a brick that will jump a V8? No brainer, they’re cheaper than good quality jumper cables.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Got the same gooloo and it started my neighbors 2L diesel in -20C even though we had a really shit ground connection .

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Surprised it was able to crank a big block diesel like that

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Gave my father a 1800A version and he uses it to jump start his belarus tractor (mtz-80) because frick getting a battery for it i guess.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>frick getting a battery for it i guess.
            i did similar with picrel for my car for two winters. Battery was fine for spring/summer/fall, but it was degraded to where it didn't have enough juice to start in our winters. Already had the booster, frick dropping another 150 bucks lol. they have ring end cables just rig up to the posts and poke the plug out under the hood, ezpz.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Gooloo's stuff is on a big sale right now. Their GP4000 is only $100 for being able to start a 10L diesel engine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>bepis buying chink shit
        post your edc and rethink your choice

• 2 months ago
          Bepis

By brother has the NoCo GP40, it wouldn’t start a 2.3L Focus with a flat battery (not even shorted out or totally fricked). Meanwhile that $70 Gooloo 1500, I put that thing up against a 5.4L with a bad parasitic drain that hadn’t been started in weeks, battery was like 0V, and it cranked it up 3 times in a row with no issue (died the first two times because the battery was so dead it wouldn’t run without flooring the engine to get something in the battery).

What’s wrong with my EDC?!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Whats with the opera glasses?

• 2 months ago
            Bepis

You don’t?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I don't know what concerns me more, the fidget spinner or the pocket rocket.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

COPD inhaler + cigs
            N...no really, I can quit a..anytime!!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

anti smokers are the most insufferable homosexuals in the world.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

better than suckin dicks ammirite. kings genetics dont need to worry about cancer n shit. only peasant tier genetics get fuct. put down the readers digest boomer

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

your edc is great. i’m saying your edc is all american made shit and you go buy a chink toy? cmon my man

• 2 months ago
          Bepis

https://i.imgur.com/IcAPtM7.jpg

>frick getting a battery for it i guess.
          i did similar with picrel for my car for two winters. Battery was fine for spring/summer/fall, but it was degraded to where it didn't have enough juice to start in our winters. Already had the booster, frick dropping another 150 bucks lol. they have ring end cables just rig up to the posts and poke the plug out under the hood, ezpz.

https://i.imgur.com/RUTGkVf.jpg

By brother has the NoCo GP40, it wouldn’t start a 2.3L Focus with a flat battery (not even shorted out or totally fricked). Meanwhile that $70 Gooloo 1500, I put that thing up against a 5.4L with a bad parasitic drain that hadn’t been started in weeks, battery was like 0V, and it cranked it up 3 times in a row with no issue (died the first two times because the battery was so dead it wouldn’t run without flooring the engine to get something in the battery).

What’s wrong with my EDC?!

That being said, the Nocos are nice, but be prepared to spend 2x-4x to have the same power as a Gooloo. The #1 seller, the GB40, that thing can’t even start small passenger cars unless it’s ideal conditions like 50F+ and the battery is just barely too week to crank the car, sitting above 12.0V but a little low on charge because you left the interior lights on last night.

The thing did finally start that 2.3L Focus, but we had to leave the GB40 on there for like an hour until it had dumped its whole charge into the Ferd’s battery, then go recharge the pack, come back to the car and let it get like 20min more charge and then it finally started after dumping one and a half packs worth of juice into the lead acid battery plus the current from the pack being hooked up.

And it wasn’t even bad conditions, the car was in a parking garage in Miami, so plenty warm, a brand new GB40 pack, and the car battery was flat from sitting for a month without driving and the valet trying to crank it a couple times.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i bought pic related on sale for around $200, claims to make 6750 peak amps, for use with a V10 gasser engine that calls for around 1000 cranking amps because:

>comparable lead acid packs afaik don't exist and would weigh a couple hundred pounds and cost more, my lead acid pack claims a peak 1200 amps which is pretty standard
            >i also calculated the cost of appropriate jumper cables, even chinese CCA, "1/0" (they always lie about the gauge), 25-30 feet would cost around $100 on sale and weigh ~50lbs, real copper cables around 1/0 would cost around $400-$500 and weigh over 100lbs
            >also looked into carrying an Amazon LiFePo4 cranking battery for jumpstarts and that would cost around $1000 currently

i have a relative who fried his car's ECU and alternator via a botched cable jumpstart attempt on a vehicle with some kind of security immobilizer bullshit which was preventing the car from starting, so i feel fine spending $200 on something i'll probably never use

i do own other ones too including an old school lead acid that has to be charged every week, for smaller engines, and have never needed them either
            buy a cigarette socket voltmeter or actual wired-in charge monitor, they're cheap
            for a little more money you can buy an amp shunt, with a wifi/bluetooth app even, that will show you parasitic load in real time before it kills your battery

people don't realize that modern cars are voltage sensitive, in some if the computer doesn't see at least exactly the 12.X volts at the ECU or whatever module that it wants to see, it will not power up and the engine will not start, even if you give it 2x the amps it electromechanically needs to turn over, energize the alternator field, run the fuel pump, fire the coils, run the injectors, etc.

also gay nucars have 1,000,000 electronic loads, turbos, start-stop starters, so they require larger batteries than you'd expect for the pitifully tiny engines

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>LiPO cells which need to be stored fully charged to do anything when needed
    They can die in a matter of months. Better off with something like picrel that charges an ultracapacitor stack off a much longer lived battery.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

seemed to work for me. jumped some guy's hilux while it had about 50% charge, and it didn't even drain by 1 percent.

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

These things are sweet. I have been saying for years that a power tool company should build one. Any mid-size 18V packs could easly deliver the power to jump a car.

Also the packs don’t need to be 100% charged to do anything. Lithium cells can still put out a lot of power at 50% capacity. Also even my Gooloo packs easily go 6mos before they drop to 3/4 bars

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

ryobi "weird tools no one else will make" always have such bizarre corner-cutting designs
      >excellent hybrid plastic
      >great fit and finish
      >disgusting interface/packaging/form factor/controls
      >shit like multifunction indicator LEDs so they save 2 cents on having fewer LEDs?
      >everything inside is just embarrassing peak corner-cutting cost-cutting slapdash shit that belongs at Harbor Freight
      >always lacking some important feature
      with that one:
      >probably cheapshit PVC jacketing on those leads - nothing tool related should be PVC in the past 10 years now that we have cheap silicone, way way way too short, comically thin
      >little baby clamps for ants, probably fragile polycarb covers, guaranteed only energized on 1 jaw
      >no digital LED readout or even indicator for SoC/readiness/warnings/voltage/current??
      >has to have a gay little diagram ON THE UNIT to explain how to use it

not saying they're bad tools they're just fricking weird, hare-brained, unrefined - i own their 18V die grinder and mini polisher, they're fine, also looking at their larger soldering station which techs/mechanics seem to really like while EE nerds hate it

• 2 months ago
        Bepis

>3 Year Warranty
        Also Ryobi is a homeowner/DIYer brand. They’re not going to spend the money on a voltage readout and stuff for Karen and Doug who buy these things since they use the same bafferies as their leaf blower. Other jumper packs and battery chargers don’t tell you SOC or anything for the battery either, you can get yourself a battery tester for that, and I guarantee there’s some flashing LED to make sure Karen doesn’t hook up the leads in reverse or charge a totally fricked battery.

That being said, I love muh Ryobi, their lineup of random shit is so awesome.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

jump packs should always have SoC readout of the internal battery, and voltage readout for the vehicle battery so you know how dead it is
          that's the one thing i don't like about the big gooloo unit vs the smaller popular ones, no info screen

i do have a charging system tester, it would be quite neat if someone would combine that with a jump pack, but as i wrote in my other post you can hardwire to the battery a little SoC/voltage monitor for like $30 and never be caught unaware that the vehicle has low charge, low voltage, etc.

[...]
          Also maybe one day there will be a Milwaukee version of the tool if it sells well enough, and it will cost an extra $150 to get the extra $5 worth of features you want.

Who knows about the leads, although that is like the biggest complaint for that soldering iron that could be nearly perfect if they didn’t frick up that one thing. That’s like any big corporation though, a bean counter came after the engineer and fricked it up.

milwaukee had some random neat tools for the 12V platform like a die grinder and soldering gun but not enough for a DIYer to invest in the now ancient platform just for 2-3 cool tools
          i'm surprised neither Milwaukee nor anyone else afaik still doesn't have a prosumer grade 18V soldering
          station with modern direct one-piece soldering tips and digital thermal regulation, the stuff chinks have been successfully cloning for half a decade or so in their bench stations bringing the cost down from $250-$1500 to like $100
          if chinks can make corded AC knockoffs for ~$100, massive tool companies should be able to make a battery version by now

• 2 months ago
            Bepis

The Ryobi batteries have a charge indicator. And if you’re car won’t start, it won’t start. Karen doesn’t know what the voltage means, and anybody who does know what the voltage should be at probably has a multimeter somewhere nearby.

I haven't found any need for jump starting in nearly 10 years. You're all moronic.

havent had to in a long long time, but I carry cables anyway

Keeping a temperature sensitive chemical bomb, which degrades over time regardless of charge state and is already very expensive, does not appeal to me.
            A couple of cables will work fine for a long, long time.

Mine gets used a handful of times every 6mos or year. It’s only for my car once every couple years, but when rando in the parking lot needs a jump, it’s much faster than shitty $20 jumper cables.

Also it’s 2024 and you can get decent lithium bricks for like $50 (cheaper than mid grade jumper cables), they’re not old Samsung phones that spontaneously combust, they will hold a charge for a year, double as a big USB power bank, and even my Chinese Gooloos are getting to like 5+ years old and the first one is finally getting a little weak but still jumped a Civic 3x in a day when a cell shit out a couple months back.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

not about the cost even its the principle of the matter

cables last a very very long time,
            battery is limited,
            you're all mentally moronic

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>principle

You are obviously not a mechanic.

The true answer is good jumper cables AND a good jump pack like the Clore JNC 660 (beloved of used car dealers where I used my first )AND a proper old transformer battery CHARGER (tenders only tend) of the portable variety AND a large wheeled transformer style charger/hot start box.

Accumulate these things and life becomes glorious. Copy the pros for they know all that is worth knowing, not the plebs. A nice thing is tranformer chargers go for peanuts at yard sales because moderns know not what they do to revive flat batteries.

• 2 months ago
            Bepis

Ok. But it’s about the cost for me, both dollars and time, being stuck with a dead battery somewhere and either having to wait for a person who is willing to jump my car or waiting on roadside assistance.

• 2 months ago
        Bepis

https://i.imgur.com/Cj9arms.jpg

>3 Year Warranty
        Also Ryobi is a homeowner/DIYer brand. They’re not going to spend the money on a voltage readout and stuff for Karen and Doug who buy these things since they use the same bafferies as their leaf blower. Other jumper packs and battery chargers don’t tell you SOC or anything for the battery either, you can get yourself a battery tester for that, and I guarantee there’s some flashing LED to make sure Karen doesn’t hook up the leads in reverse or charge a totally fricked battery.

That being said, I love muh Ryobi, their lineup of random shit is so awesome.

Also maybe one day there will be a Milwaukee version of the tool if it sells well enough, and it will cost an extra $150 to get the extra $5 worth of features you want.

Who knows about the leads, although that is like the biggest complaint for that soldering iron that could be nearly perfect if they didn’t frick up that one thing. That’s like any big corporation though, a bean counter came after the engineer and fricked it up.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

oh boy, was I positively surprised with those
    >bought one because megasquirt startup issues were killing my battery before car gets to start in low temperatures (turned out to be misaligned crank position sensor, took me a while to figure it out)
    >package arrives
    >it's a shitty lightweight plastic smartphone powerbank
    >eh, guess i got scammed with chinkshit, serves me right for buying cheaper one
    >tested it
    >from fully dead battery, car cranks for 15s straight before shitty lightweight chink powerbank gives up, and it cranks fast and hard too, full boost mode
    >and then you can give it a moment, connect it again, and it cranks full power again

very, very happy about those. get one, far more convenient than jumper cables because it's a self-contained device and there's no need for another car

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

lithium battery with integrated starter?

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

This is my portable jump starter. Basicly an old battery, that works great in summer temperatures, but sucks in winter. Got it free of charge.
    I keep it indoors and fully charged, so if one morning it's -35°C and my car refuses to start, I always have a warm battery willing to give lots of current.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How do you store these things? In summer it's basically a bomb

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>How do you store these things? In summer it's basically a bomb

KEK at the number of times I've left that shit in the greenhouse that is my 1995 F150

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought one but haven't actually used it yet. Figured it was just a good investment.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You are relying in the goodwill of a stranger or have to make a phonecall for one and can do it yourself for the other.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The one I got off amazon for $40 works like a charm when I park the car for a week and forget to unplug the dashcam.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I keep one in the tankbag on my bike(s). Gets charged from the bike while it's running, keeps the main battery charged when not. Charges all my devices while on the road as it's getting recharged.
    One of the best practical inventions in the last 20 years.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Might aswell have both, but a good booster makes for a "safer" start and can often get you even more power than you would using cables

As for which to pick; plan for the vehicles you think you'd end up boosting, and then go up one size. Bring it in when its cold out, keep it properly charged - and it can be a lifesaver

I run a Noco GBX155, which is an absolute beast of a 12v-jumper, but living at the arctic circle with temperatures regularly dropping below -25c you don't want to end up with a jumper that doesn't do jack shit

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, get one

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

just buy a fricking battery

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I think you should invest on new battery.
    If you live in subzero areas, you should invest in engine preheat

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I haven't found any need for jump starting in nearly 10 years. You're all moronic.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

you've never provided a jump to someone else?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Keeping a temperature sensitive chemical bomb, which degrades over time regardless of charge state and is already very expensive, does not appeal to me.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

i don't leave mine in the car other than when i'm out using the car, looking into fire bags but some people just use a cooler

also you and most people probably have "temperature sensitive chemical bomb, which degrades over time regardless of charge state" in your hand/pocket/next to your head all day, in your laptop, tablet, power tools, etc.

as for cables, they can't provide you a jump and you can't count on the other guy to have serviceable cables or any cables

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Why would I ever need to get jump started by someone else? Only Black folk get shitty wired accessories, or neglect their maintenance.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I use a portable jumper when I buy old cars. Easier than plowing my vehicle into the weeds to hook up the cables to see what happens when it's powered.
      moron.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

moron

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Id get one of those capacitor jump starters, little pricey but worth it.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Better than cables, but otoh in 40+ years I've not had to use cables on any of my cars so I don't see a need for a boost box either.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Mine seemed to work OK the first few times. Now it errors out when I connect it to a low car battery. It can crank and start the car if I totally disconnect the car battery and just clamp it to the battery leads, but somehow a low car battery throws it for a loop. That makes it basically useless because its purpose is to jump cars with low batteries.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How hard it is to buy the fricking new battery??
    >be a tard
    >buy a new car
    >five years passes, still no money left to buy new battery or new brake pads

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

because a dead battery doesn't always mean its bad? for instance, my car's security system drains the battery in about 2-3 weeks, the battery is fine, but if I dont drive it for longer than a week, there's a good chance it wont have the charge to start the engine.

These little battery chargers work (although as said, dont do something stupid like leave them on overnight)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *