Post some Old school mechanic hacks and tricks that you know of

Old school shadetree mechanic tricks? Who's got em?

You ever cut a gasket with a ball peen hammer.

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Step 1 Open the car's hood. Wait for the engine to cool and then remove the radiator cap. It's sometimes necessary to press down on the cap to turn and remove it.
    >Step 2 Put two tablespoons of ground black pepper into the coolant in the radiator. Put the radiator cap back on and close the hood.
    >Step 3 Start the engine and drive the car slowly for half an hour. Drive on surface streets, not the freeway.
    The idea is to allow the pepper to flow through the system and to accumulate at the leaks, eventually plugging them and stopping them.
    >Step 4 Park the car and check for leaks. Allow the car to sit for half an hour and inspect the area under the vehicle for any signs of leaks. If the car is still leaking, add two more tablespoons of ground black pepper to the radiator and drive the car for half an hour at moderate speed.
    >Step 5 Park the vehicle and check it once again for leaks.
    If leaks persist they may be too severe to be cured by ground black pepper.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

pepper? i thought it was eggs

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

eggs? i thought it was seggs

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

sure it's not budd seggs?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Who ordered eggs and peppas

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

eggs? i thought it was seggs

Ok. I can confirm both the pepper and egg tricks. I have used both with great success.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

first the pepper then the eggs so they're correctly spiced

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

instead of adding pepper to your coolant like your Olive Garden waitress adds Parmesan Cheese to your salad, just tighten the loose hose clamp, ffs.

https://i.imgur.com/SkyuwDG.png

righty tighty left loosey

until that left hand threaded bolt gets in your way...

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i must have taken apart hundreds of cars by now and i can only vaguely remember seeing one left hand bolt.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Work with diesels

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Spray a little starting fluid into the popped bead of a tire.
    Hit it with a tossed match.
    Presto, a fully aired-up tire!

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Except the fire burns all of the oxygen inside the tire creating a vacuum which unseats the bead again. You have to immediately air up the tire after seating it with starting fluid to prevent that.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You failed chemistry and physics, huh?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

the tyre will eventually deflate, but the lighter fluid does make it easier to seat the bead on the rim

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It was more the fact that the oxygen didn't just disappear and the loss in pressure is because the air inside is rapidly cooling after the minor explosion from the starting fluid.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>implying they teach chemistry and physics in high school anymore
          it's not 1978 gramps, most high schools haven't had chemlabs since the mid 90's

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

they still have these in aussie schools which is mildly surprising considering how much of a nanny state the country is

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>absolute state of American education

We still have chemistry and physics in our schools in Europe, no wonder you Black folk need orange indicators and reflectors to keep you safe. Fricking subhuman consoomer cattle

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

We still have those things stupid shitskin

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>You ever cut a gasket with a ball peen hammer.
    You want to use a brass hammer so you don't risk chipping the edges of the part.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Coke or Pepsi poured on battery to clean off acid corrosion.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The most savage trick for a rear end differential hack is adding sawdust in the rear end will quiet noise.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you can add that in a transmission too to stop it from slipping when you want to sell it to some poor schmuck. a few months later BOOM

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I will never forget my grandpa used an old panty hose for a bad alternator in order to get us back on the road.

>And it makes sense considering that any cotton fabric say like a sock will be highly conductive of electricity.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

When I'm using combo wrenches I use a 2nd wrench as a cheater. Put closed end on nut, put 2nd wrench closed end on 1st wrench open end wa la instant leverage.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>wa la
      It's "voila" you ignorant frick.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

wah lahhhhh

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

covering the head of a bolt with a small shred of paper towel so it fits snug into your socket and wont fall out. also wrapping your swivels with a little electrical tape to make them stiffer. easily the most useful hacks I've used.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

based. gonna use this next week when i’m removing my troony for the first time

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The realest post here.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>10-15% citric acid solution will remove oxidation from stainless steel without damaging polished surfaces
    >smearing silicon grease on exhaust mounts, makes it easier to remove them later
    >use copper grease on exhaust joints and bolts (shit wont seize)
    >always smear a little white grease on stainless threads before torquing them
    >torque everything to spec

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>use copper grease on exhaust joints and bolts (shit wont seize)
      i use nickel anti seize because it has a higher temperature tolerance than copper and aluminium anti seize. just don't get it on your skin though.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

righty tighty left loosey

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

best I learned from my father is to turn a rusty bolt in both directions to break it loose. It's a lot more effective than just trying to turn it left. Also hitting the head with a hammer but I think that's a more common trick.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>***ONLY USE IN A EMERGENCY***
    Brake fluid in an automatic trans will stop slipping for a short time. It will get you home but it expands the bands and doesn't last for any great amount of time. YOU WILL HAVE TO REPLACE THE BANDS INSIDE THE TRANS AFTER THIS.
    ***END EMERGENCY ONLY FIX***

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Corse pepper or cork flakes for rad hg or other leaks in cooling system

Diesel oil for petrol engines either long or short term gets rid of sludge and carbon build up ran 20-60w for years no issues noticed it lasted longer and engine was cleaner but price went nuts so i stopped

Keep toolkit medkit in car

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

put a rubber eraser inside the shift knob before screwing it on and it won’t wiggle loose.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what erases rubber?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

rubber

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ive never cut a gasket with a ball peen, but I have used one to remove old gaskets

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *