qtddtot

questions that don't deserve their own thread
/qtddtot/

Starting with mine: Cars with auto-rev match downshifting, this does not help the wear on the synchros at all right? By the time the engine blips up, you're already in gear or halfway in gear or am I thinking about this incorrectly? My car has it, and it's a nice feature, but if it's making synchro wear worse it's just not worth it (and it adds a perceptible amount of rev hang).

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why Kolea better Japan now?

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

OK GUYS I GOT A QUESTION - I want a Porsche Panamera cause it's reasonably priced and I like it and it can run from police which is cool to me. All my peers think Porsche sucks, what can I get instead that will impress, be affordable, and be able to drive at such high speeds? I'd love something that drives more like a Honda Civic but whatevs

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>what can I get instead that will impress, be affordable, and be able to drive at such high speeds? I'd love something that drives more like a Honda Civic but whatevs

Get a $3K civic with a few tasty mods

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

get the panamera and new friends

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>how can i mold my life to impress buttholes i don't even like
      holy shit anon

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>All my peers think Porsche sucks
      Your peers are moronic? Why are they your peers?

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Should I get my car PPF'd or not? it's a daily driver, garage kept, the paint is a non-metallic light and bright color. Not sure if it would be cheaper to get PPF or to just repair any stone chips I might get

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I never like the way the ppf looks after it ages a bit, personally. But I also fricking hate rock chips. I live in the south so cars rust very slowly so I just touchup chips as I get them. But maybe ppfs are better these days...get the ppf I guess.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Cars with auto-rev match downshifting, this does not help the wear on the synchros at all right? By the time the engine blips up, you're already in gear or halfway in gear or am I thinking about this incorrectly?
    Probably depends on the specific transmission, some do it more quickly than others. I would imagine if working as intended it would not increase wear. You'd obviously try to design a system to not create excessive wear.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do Chevy big blocks (454) sound cooler than a 350?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yes

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's the best way to sell my families shitbox collection? Brother got sick and realized that hes never going to do anything with these, Which ones will people actually buy? - dont want to spend $50 on graigslist ads.

Also, should we offer to let someone camp on the property and fix something? Would that appeal to anyone other than insane homeless types?

And finally what kind of price should we ask to actually sell them.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'd buy the long boy

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Referring to the Old f250? It needs work $800 or best offer. Late 80s 460 3spd automatic rwd if I recall, but it was a long time ago when we got it

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The black pickup is a mid 80s 3spd automatic diesel ford F250. Its very polluting and slow. It has shot ball joints or something, it was very difficult to keep it on the road before they left it off the road

Picrel is 300 CI L6 automatic 2wd its also hard or impossible to drive straight

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

get all the titles together, make sure they're all clean, numbers match, and in order
      take pictures of each car inside and out
      list them on facepage supermarket for free
      search it first to see what similar condition cars are listed for, drop the price by a couple hundred bucks each week they don't sell
      do not let some homosexual camp on the property, tell the buttholes to bring a trailer

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Who's going to trailer an 00 Elantra with 300k miles that smells like dogfood and roadkill? Probably sell it to some poor teenager for $500 and he will need to clean it, change out the old gas & oil and change the battery, check over lights and shit and then learn how to work the manual transmission before taking it home. On the other hand maybe his dad can drag it and they can do that in his yard. But idk if middle class people still buy shitboxes for their kids

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Who's going to trailer an 00 Elantra with 300k miles that smells like dogfood and roadkill?
          some Hispanic curbstoner. it'll be shined up on marketplace next week for $2,995

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I would much prefer to sell it to some poor family for $500

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Oh yeah I have a pic of the Elantra. Unfortunately I keep forgetting to take pictures when I go down there cause its a dump and I thought they would never let go of anything

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

p.s. how much do you want for the karmann ghia and what state are you in?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It's Central pooregon $1500 obo
        We have a bradley kitcar too I think he wants $2k for the bradley

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/K8oC2ZO.jpg

What's the best way to sell my families shitbox collection? Brother got sick and realized that hes never going to do anything with these, Which ones will people actually buy? - dont want to spend $50 on graigslist ads.

Also, should we offer to let someone camp on the property and fix something? Would that appeal to anyone other than insane homeless types?

And finally what kind of price should we ask to actually sell them.

if you want less of a hassle, call a local auctioneer firm, they can auction all of these off and be done with it

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My other brother lives out there and he has to overcome his hoarding and autism before he can go to work.

I guess the property is for sale too if anyone wants 110 acres of sage and 2 acres of trash/ cars

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Do they not pay or have trash removal services? I'd at least dig a fricking trash pit once a summer to throw trash into it, jesus.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I suggested a burn pile when the weather is proper, my dad offered to rent a dumpster, but my brother is too autistic to live in a clean environment

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Actually my brother was so autistic that when he had a job at the grocery store, he kept the garbage. His job was to put things on the shelf and throw away the trash, but he brought home onion bags, cardboard, and oil jugs from the restaurant next door. So my dad and I said you can't bring home garbage, get this trash out of the house, your job is to put it in the compactor at work. So he rented a storage unit for the garbage and then he bought a suburban and rented a trailer to haul down garbage to the property. The suburban was cool, so not counting that against him, but he probably spent $1000 in rent and another $500 for the trailer and related stuff in order to haul literal garbage hundreds of miles.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Why though...

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Autism is wierd shit. Some autistics are obsessed with music, some with food, some with science.

My brother likes having a bunch of trash, he wont get rid of mean dogs. The bigger of a car he drives, the more shit he keeps in it. If its -20 and the car is too icy to see out of he will not warm it up before driving cause some article 20 years ago said dont bother warming up your car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Autism is wierd shit
            My buddy's son is autistic and collects rocks of asphalt for some reason. He told me when he was younger he hoarded so many in a dresser in the attic the ceiling was sagging. Now he puts them in buckets.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Does he sometimes dig in the road and make potholes bigger?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/HhkK2sn.jpg

Actually my brother was so autistic that when he had a job at the grocery store, he kept the garbage. His job was to put things on the shelf and throw away the trash, but he brought home onion bags, cardboard, and oil jugs from the restaurant next door. So my dad and I said you can't bring home garbage, get this trash out of the house, your job is to put it in the compactor at work. So he rented a storage unit for the garbage and then he bought a suburban and rented a trailer to haul down garbage to the property. The suburban was cool, so not counting that against him, but he probably spent $1000 in rent and another $500 for the trailer and related stuff in order to haul literal garbage hundreds of miles.

Hoarding in adulthood is typically the result of childhood trauma, usually abuse involving deprivation.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

That makes sense, I guess

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

not true

nearly every boomer i've ever met is a disgusting compulsive hoarder of worthless garbage (often literally)
            not one of them was ever deprived in childhood of anything except... hmm... discipline, structure, necessary punishment, corrective beatings, moral guidance, etc.

my parents are disgusting hoarders, most of their friends qualify as hoarders, one couple they know recently had to have their (detached) garage fricking sealed off and fumigated and decontaminated like in a fricking movie because they ignored it for decades and raccoons eventually broke in and had a den in it for YEARS

if it were true that privation led to hoarding, people who grew up during the depression (like my grandparents, none of whom were hoarders by any stretch of the imagination) would be the champion hoarders, but instead that is boomers, who had the greatest material abundance in history

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My mother did ask us to clean our rooms and around the house and then she frequently did it for us. And she gave away old shitboxes when she bought new cars. She made Grandpa pick up his shitbox after a couple of years sitting in our yard. Very traumatizing and justifies having 30 dogs that attack cars on the road, piles of trash, lots of old cars and no job

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Is this your brother?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The house is too nice

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm looking for a daily driver to lease with my tax return, how do I get started?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

leasing is the most expensive way to buy a car
      buy a car you can afford to pay cash for

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How stupid would it be to expect to keep a 1980s ATV outside during the winter in northern Alaska? Looking at finally buying a quad but don't have a garage and it regularly gets to -40 here for sometimes weeks at a time. I'd like to be able to use it for trail riding and trapping all year round. Is there anything I can do prevention wise other than keep it covered with a tarp when not in use and keep the gas topped off? Remove the battery?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Fully charged lead acid batteries can handle dips down to -60 (but obviously they should be kept inside) you would probably want to run 70/30 Glycol/water mix in the radiator and 0wXX synthetic oil. If you want to actually drive a vehicle in such weather, a block heater, fuel line heater, and radiator insulator would be advised

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I've got a battery trickle charger, auto start, block heater, troony heater, and oil pan heater for my truck. I've seen people run block heaters for their wheelers and sleds but I've never heard of a fuel line heater or a radiator insulator before. I'm sure I could set up a block heater and plug it in next to my truck, but I'm not sure if I would be able to wire up something like that on a cramped little Honda.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I usually just put a blanket over the radiator and fill in some of the gaps in the engine bay to keep everything warm when it goes below 0°F the fuel line heaters are more of a thing for Diesel, but I did put electric heat in the air intake on an old shitbox and it ran much better cold Than before.

They make magnetic and sticky pad heaters that you can stick to anything.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I understand people in cold regions will take the battery out at the end of the day and store it inside the house, then re install it when they need to go again the next day. It's not too much of a bother, especially compared to leaving it outside, and hoping and praying that it will crank when its super cold out

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Which car would give me the image of a Canadian man who hates the USA, hates donald trump, hates the Conservatives, wants anti-muscle cars and wants an anti-usa car.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Buy some Chinese ev.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Should I buy this RHD Pajero Mini near me? Its 2006 imported from Japan, all papers. Looks ipretty decent condition. 80k km. 15 grand

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Assuming your in USA
      That's pretty expensive, the local JDM dealer has had nice mini wankers fresh from japan priced under $10k

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/ferndale-rhd-1995-mitsubishi-pajero/7710455090.html

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/ferndale-rhd-1995-mitsubishi-pajero/7710455090.html

Na, Im Canadian.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Ok leafbux are worthless and you only have to wait 15 years to import JDM, so check it over carefully and go for it. I used to see lots of neat JDMs on BC Craigslist for a reasonable price but now not so much

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Is it normal for new bearings to feel 'stiffer' than old ones? I ordered the part numbers I found recommended online, but the bearings I got feel 'stiffer' than the old worn ones. The new ones are completely silent, but it feels like they dont spin as much as the old ones. Is this normal, or did I get bad bearings?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That is normal

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Thank you sir

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

will oem challenger wheels (2010 srt8) fit on a 350z without any adapters? the lug pattern is the same size but the hub is not. i’ve tried looking into this before but im dumb as frick. plox halp

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Are you supposed to hold the clutch or not during startup? I always get different answers saying it does/doesn't matter.

It's an old 2007 1.4 petrol shitbox.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I only have automatics and even I know you should always clutch in when starting.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I can think of arguments for both.

Holding the clutch in is best if you’re going right out, since you won’t mistakenly try to start in gear.

If you’re going to just let the clutch out and idle in neutral, it’s probably better to not use the clutch to begin with. People often don’t set the parking brake hard enough to actually stop a car in first or reverse, so if it is in gear and you pop the clutch you might be going for a short ride right into something. Better to look like an idiot trying to start in gear than look like an idiot who crashed because his car was in gear.

I always use the clutch.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Usually they dont start unless the clutch is pinned. But if you bypassed that, might as well start in neutral without the clutch

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

clutch in when starting with foot on the brake obviously then put into to neutral, release the clutch and let your car warm up a hot minute

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How do i smoothly shift from 1st to 2nd gear?
    I always find that i overrev 1st gear so when i get to 2nd theres a sudden jerk forward as the engine speed has to slow down

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Look up the gear ratios and do the math. For example if you shift a 2020 Crosstrek at 6000 RPMs you gotta let it down to 3000 for a smooth 1-2 shift. Likewise if your at 2000 RPM in 2nd and you want to downshift you gotta put it in neutral and rev it to 4000 for a smooth 2-1 shift. Each gear gets closer as you shift up and theres only a 10% difference between 5 & 6

But every gearbox is different, so some are more intuitive and you just cant get used to some cars. If you're looking at old 4 speed pickups, they had more than 2:1 difference between 1 & 2, and old muscle cars had very close ratios.

Then there was picrel

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I wanna buy a used car. I've narrowed my choices down to the following six models cause they're all apparently reliable:
    >Corolla
    >Camry
    >Accord
    >Civic
    >Mazda 3
    >Elantra
    I haven't bought a car before let alone a used one. I'd like to try and save some cash and get something that'll last me a good while. How much money is too much here? Any of these cars not worth getting? Anything else worth considering?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What's your current car? Do you maintain it yourself?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I currently drive a dodge dart. Sadly, I borrow it from a family member so I don't really maintain it outside of some small things. I'm a newer driver who moved out of the city and am trying to adjust to needing a car to survive. Starting to take a real interest in this stuff though and would like to get into wrenching my own vehicle.

https://i.imgur.com/JggOa7G.jpg

Picrel has taken a lot of abuse and neglect. Its a 2002 Elantra. Power windows, AC and everything still works in spite of a dirty hot/cold environment, off-road driving and dogs. I paid $1500 for it several years ago and passed it to the alcoholic and somehow the autistic guy has it now. I hear it ran over a deer and was driven off of a small cliff one time.

My 00 Elantra has over 300k miles and I just did basic maintenance when I had it. Very nice car. But I guess that Hyundai got tired of having reliable elantras and started putting shitty engines in them around 2010

Nice that's pretty sweet! I'll keep an eye out for a pre-2010 Elantra then.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Starting to take a real interest in this stuff though and would like to get into wrenching my own vehicle.
          Dive straight into the deep end and get a BMW. An E39. E46, or E90/E92 with a naturally aspirated 6 cyl. They're reliable in the sense that their engines will last 300k miles, but you'll have to do some wrenching to get them there. It's all very easily fixed and maintained though. Life's too short to drive boring cars.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I have a 6 SPD manual bmw with a 3.0 and its kinda boring. Honestly had more fun in some japanese or Korean economy cars.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I was planning on doing something like this but for my second car. I'm bound to screw something up and I don't wanna be without transportation that isn't mine.
            Still, the thought is exciting!
            How much should I be looking to drop on a used BMW? I dunno if this is realistic in the current market but no matter what car I get I wanna stay below 10k for the initial buy despite being able to afford more.

I have a 6 SPD manual bmw with a 3.0 and its kinda boring. Honestly had more fun in some japanese or Korean economy cars.

If you know any good cheap ones a noobie should check then please let me know.
            I appreciate everyone's responses by the way!

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>How much should I be looking to drop on a used BMW?
            Depends how nice you want it to be and where you are. Can get decent ones with ~100k miles for $5k. Don't spend more than $8k unless it only has like 50k miles or something.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Definitely don't gotta be super nice for this first car. I'm in the Southeast US.
            Having those numbers helps a lot thanks! I'll use those to get me started in looking around online.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Z3

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

3 series is better than the z3. Better looking too

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Picrel has taken a lot of abuse and neglect. Its a 2002 Elantra. Power windows, AC and everything still works in spite of a dirty hot/cold environment, off-road driving and dogs. I paid $1500 for it several years ago and passed it to the alcoholic and somehow the autistic guy has it now. I hear it ran over a deer and was driven off of a small cliff one time.

My 00 Elantra has over 300k miles and I just did basic maintenance when I had it. Very nice car. But I guess that Hyundai got tired of having reliable elantras and started putting shitty engines in them around 2010

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>My 00 Elantra has over 300k miles and I just did basic maintenance when I had it. Very nice car. But I guess that Hyundai got tired of having reliable elantras and started putting shitty engines in them around 2010
        Correct. Hyundais and Kias went to shit when they switched to GDI engines. You'll be lucky to hit 100k on a hyundai GDI, and even that's pushing it. and they're basically not rebuildable, so good luck finding a 50k or less used engine for a ten year old car.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

skip korean bug shit, go for nip bug shit

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

should I get longer wipers if my potential dashcam placement is gonna be dirty?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Won't work.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Can I learn how to manually shift via vidya if I buy a wheel that comes with a stick and pedals? I figured that would be cheaper than buying a manual car and then money shifting it to death. I was gonna look into if My Summer Car had the ability to use such a set up.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Not really for a couple of reasons:
      1) no game I've played bothers to have the clutch modulate. It's either on or off even though the game recognizes the full range of the pedal. Finding and figuring out the bite point quickly is honestly the most difficult part of driving stick at first.
      2) gearboxes all have their quirks. They're not silky smooth into each gear. A game may teach you bad habits. You need to be in gear before letting off the clutch again and get that muscle memory down.
      But a game is better than nothing and you'll learn what happens when you downshift from 6 -> 3 and whether you'll redline or not and rpm differences gear to gear...

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

No. You won't even be able to do a 15 minute test drive with just video games as your experience driving manual.

Frick I don't have the money either to do it. I only asked because I aspire to do a kit car in the future because they are cheaper and I also wanted to get a manual kit car just cause the likelihood of it being stolen will drop dramatically but I guess I'm gonna have to find an absolute shit car and ruin it more or just never do it.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

See

https://i.imgur.com/jRIL8Rh.jpg

It's Central pooregon $1500 obo
          We have a bradley kitcar too I think he wants $2k for the bradley

This kitcar has a vw bug 4 speed and 4cylinder. Its pretty easy and cheap to change out or rebuild or replace the engine or gearbox. But also VW 4spds are pretty bulletproof. So many braindead drugged out hippies drove these things

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>This kitcar has a vw bug 4 speed and 4cylinder.
            The bradley gt?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes, and its for sale $2k obo. My brother got it when he was a teenager and then he never got around to it. Now he has accepted that he will never get around to it. Also he would have to lose 100+ pounds to drive it

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I doubt I can buy those kind of kit cars how, I'm talking about the kind you buy and build from scratch.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

(Me)
            Would a good starter kit car be the Factory Five cars? I've never done anything like this before and I just want something where the skeleton comes pre-welded, with an assembly manual (which i heard factory five kit cars have) and that is fairly simple to learn and understand.
            Bringing up "My Summer Car" again, if I can't simulate manual clutches well in games, would My Summer Car be a good starting point for learning how a simple automotive engine works? I'm assuming it takes some liberties with the simulating of the parts and their interactions, but I figured that it would give me at least a scaffolding of what a car engine should look like taken apart and put back together.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Apparently the best new kit car is the MK2 escort but im not sure about registering it if you actually want to take it on public roads and stuff.

Much easier to buy and drive one of the old VW kit cars that someone gave up on cause there are no safety or emissions standards, its a 65 VW bug.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>but im not sure about registering it if you actually want to take it on public roads and stuff.
            There was a Small Automobile Manufacturer and Innovation bill that makes them road legal.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I haven't followed your convo outside this post, but afaik Factory Five cars require a LOT of body work. That's actually far and away the hardest and most time-consuming part. I met a guy who built one. He had 400 hours into the body for what he considered cosmetically mediocre results, and he owned a body shop.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

No. You won't even be able to do a 15 minute test drive with just video games as your experience driving manual.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How old can shitboxes reasonably be in britbongland before the taxes rape you harder than the money you're saving on purchase price

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If the reduced carbon emissions bill passes you won't have to worry about buying a car, because you won't be able to legally do so. All cars will be rented from a government agency.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The legal bullshit is precisely why I'm interested in a piece of shit to last me 5 years rather than something else

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

is this an easy/sensible way to clean fuel injectors?

it seems radical to me to run the engine by cleaner instead of fuel, but i don't know things

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I fricking wouldn't.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I fricking wouldn.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's the cheapest vehicle insurance for a rental?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

your cc

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

your pp

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Get an Amex card. Apply for the rental protection which adds $20 to the bill of a car rental but is primary protection. Simple as. I believe you need to book through the car rental website directly, not like rental cars.com or some shit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

check with your regular insurance company, you might already be covered. i called mine (allstate) and they said they offer free automatic coverage on any rentals in my name to the limits of my regular policy.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I have full coverage, so as long as I rent something that's not a super car, my regular policy covers rentals with deductible etc. Check your policy details, or ask your agent. If you rent a moving truck, or visit sanfranshithole, just pay for the insurance at the desk. in case you forget its a big truck and knock the mirror or hit the drive thru. Or in the case of SFO, your car sometimes just gets beat up while you're at dinner. My mom was able to drop off a smashed U-Haul with no additional charges.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

are pic related standard domestic 5 pin rectangular 20A relays ALWAYS 20 amp?

i need to test/replace some relays and when i search them on rockauto by P/N, some don't appear that do appear when searching by part and vehicle, and those (which are better name brands) don't have a listed amperage rating

i am pretty sure the fuse box diagram does not list the amperage of the relays

also, how come generic "5 pin bosch style relays" are square and have a different pinout and numbering?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

They would be called micro relays, and they're usually 25A, sometimes 30A. Doesn't hurt to put a bigger one in, so basicly yes, you can just swap them for testing. But be aware that some can have a diode or a resistor in parallel to the coil and that matters. Wrong one might not work and in theory could destroy something.
      The generic Bosch relay is the standard relay size. The numbering on them follows the DIN72552 -standard, instead of arbituary 1,2,3,4,5, which doesn't tell anything about where that pin should be connected.
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

i did a bunch of research after writing that question
        it's a changeover relay, but i have no idea if it has a resistor or diode as some do
        on those changeover type micro relays the pins are numbered from 1 (to 5 in this case)

i ordered a "BOSCH 0332201107 Changeover Micro Relay - 5 Pins, 12 V, 30/10 A"
        i assume the 30/10 refers to switch current vs carry current but the description isn't clear on that
        and doesn't state if it has a resistor or diode

my minimal understanding is that these are (obviously) used for inductive loads i.e. electric motors, which have huge inrush current and voltage spikes but i don't really understand how they're different if they don't have a resistor or diode

one of the issues i'm having is the windshield wipers don't work on anything except maximum, i learned that they're controlled by 2 different relays, 1 for basically on/off and 1 for speed, both are afaik 5 pin changeover micro relays

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I love meself waze, has saved me from pleanty of legal trouble
    But how do you disable pothole warning only? It gets annoying when mogging around local roads.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Were cars really built better back in the day or were they just too underpowered to do any real damage?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i have 2 cars, one from 1980 (1960s design) and one from 1997
      the 1980 breaks down way more but I've never been stranded, always able to do a roadside repair.
      haven't had a trip-ending breakdown in the 97 yet, but if I did id be calling a tow truck.
      so from my experience, my older car is 'built better' because i can maintain a lot more of it with ease.

• 2 months ago
      Beppu

Depends what you mean “better”… but not really. A new shitbox Hyundai can do 150k miles with very few issues, an old Cadillac or Lincoln, or pretty much anything else, 100k miles was a real milestone. Why do you think those old odometers were only 5 digits?

As far as accidents, those old steel bumpers would take a couple bumps without issue, those same bumps would shatter a modern Civic’s bumper. But the new Civic is also designed to crumble around you in a crash so you don’t die. You would never survive a rollover and/or 60mph+ collision in an old car, but it’s fairly normal for people to walk away with a few bruises in the same crash in a modern car,

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

brakes squeak at random times, it's not brake pads. what else to check?

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Are V8s really that much better overall than V6s? Looking to get my first truck and my dad keeps telling me to not even consider V6s. Says they have poor after market support and aren't even close to as powerful, how accurate is this?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it depends what you need a truck for. if you need to tow heavy loads, then yes you'll need a V8. if you just want it to cruise and/or carry light loads, a V6 is much cheaper and uses less gas.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yeah the gm 6.2 Ls is pretty good. V6 is lame. Dodge ram V10 is pretty awesome

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yes.

?si=tqL5SLFJUEu_IZAx

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've got pic related and have had allot of issues fixed in the last 2 years. I'm nearing the plateau of repair costs and have reached the catalytic converter stage but I don't know what to buy. Even though I trust my family mechanic, I think it will be cheaper to do it myself, but I don't know up from down when it comes to this stuff.
    what makes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JKPJFW?th=1&psc=1&language=en_US
    better than https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C8Z7CQ?th=1&psc=1&language=en_US ?
    also can someone find me a reliable youtube tutorial,
    Thanks for the spoon feed in advance

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I hate FOMO but goddamn Miata's special editions like this and sunburst yellow look exciting to own

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

believe me I get it, I love this car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The more expensive one will probably get your emissions a little lower or last a little longer but I'd probably just go with the cheap one. It just bolts on? Cool but getting under a Miata can be tricky.

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

do engine oil additives break down or otherwise make their way out of the system? for some reason my shitbox burned through about a quart in the past 4 months, which is new. no external leaks, no noticeable impact while driving, though I've noticed a slight oil smell on startup in the vents (goes away within a minute or two). I'm wondering if the two cans of snake oil (MOS2 & Hydraulic Lifter Additive) I threw in the last oil change just aged out or whatever. I have no idea where to start and want to rule out some dumb shit first

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The lifter additives are probably a solvent that sped up oil consumption. Dont worry, its good as long as you change the oil and top it off between changes.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

frick I hope you're right. I've never used a lifter additive before, so at least there's a chance that's all this is. I won't bother for the next change and see what happens. thanks m80

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Sirs I am from third world, cars are very expensive here. Right now I am looking at a 4.5k USD '96 Civic DX vs 5k USD '95 Corolla, both are manuals, Civic has 134k miles the Corolla 170k. Both have a 1600 engine and the Civic seems to be in better shape overall. Is the Toyota tax worth it?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'd just get the one with less mileage
      Use the extra $500 for maintenance because you'll definitely find something wrong no matter what

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How is theft over there? The big problem Americans had with 90s hondas was theft. If its not an issue, id get the civic, assuming its in the same condition as the Corolla

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Sounds like a horrifically complicated system, that defeats the simplicity and durability of a manual and if it's not fast enough to rev the motor, before you downshift, then it's basically worthless. The ECU must be simultaneously controlling the pressure on the throwout bearing AND tapping the throttle - that sounds complicated as all hell.

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

So does anyone have a good measurement on the difference between a SBC narrow body full roller rocker arm and a non-narrow body? israelitegle just gives me a gorillion different listing at summit for rocker arms.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

call or email the manufacturer, they'll have it

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

front brakes on the left, back brakes on the rear
    do I need to change the fronts? the rears?
    I bought rotors for both and brakes but if I can stretch it out a little longer, I want to.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Left has some life in it, the pads aren't hitting the noise maker (little metal tab pointed towards the rotor). Can't really tell with the right one though.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Left has some life in it, the pads aren't hitting the noise maker (little metal tab pointed towards the rotor). Can't really tell with the right one though.

frick it ill change em both this weekend. Rear's are more of a pain since it's an electronic ebrake and you need to use some plugin tool to retract it and shit...or risk damaging it...but i have pads and rotors for both sides, might as well. Thanks senpai. As long as the fronts aren't in dire need of changing I can put it off.

32. 2 months ago
    Sage

Is it possible for me to use my warranty on my tires without them being damaged. I got them at discount tires and last time I was there they said the tread was getting low.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

warranty doesn't cover normal wear. they'll tell you to go pound sand.

33. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Is 3 weeks to change the electric power steering on a 3rd gen Mondeo too long?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

yes, should take 8 hours at most in your garage, assuming you don't have a lift. less if you do.

34. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Will the new Traverses engine not going to last long?

35. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's this I hear about valve recession in the Ford Vulcan v6? Is it something that just happens or is there something I can do to prevent it? Is it only certain years?

36. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have thought about this further. If the clutch is engaged, nothing I do with the throttle / engine shouldnt affect the transmission anyways.

37. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What would be the best way to keep this nut from backing itself off? It originally had a plastic insert in the end that kept it from rotating but when I pulled them apart to replace the bushings they crumbled into pieces. I used quite a bit of loctite when I reassembled them but it hasn't held up. I've got two ideas, torque it down and drill the nut and rod to pin it. Or torque it down, drill just the rod so I can use the same type of retainer that axle nuts commonly use. If I go with either of my ideas I would prefer the second one since I doubt the holes would line back up if I ever need to take it apart again.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

what color loctite, maybe you should use the red kind (at your own risk)

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Just blue, I want to be able to remove it if needed.

Put a second nut on top of it, when it’s tight, back the original nut up like 1/4 turn to snug them against eachother?

Or by a nyloc nut.

The threads in the pic are basically all that's exposed, the nuts only backed off like 1/8 of a turn.

The nut and the rod are both aluminum also, if that makes any difference.

https://i.imgur.com/nK3LKlE.jpg

drill hole in exposed threaded portion

This was another thing I kind of thought of. The outer 1/4 of the nut don't have threads since it originally had a nylon insert. Maybe I can take the nuts off, cut some slots in them, then drill the rod and add the cotter pin.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

red is fine, you get it off the same way but just apply about 100 degrees more heat

• 2 months ago
      Beppu

Put a second nut on top of it, when it’s tight, back the original nut up like 1/4 turn to snug them against eachother?

Or by a nyloc nut.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

drill hole in exposed threaded portion

38. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've had a Honda Civic like picrel for 3 years now and only just figured out that it had the lights circled in red and how to turn them on. Only problem is, what are they for? To be seen or something? They're too low to the ground to meaningfully illuminate anything in front of me, so what's the purpose?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Nevermind, I just found out. I am the dumb.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i have a 10th gen as well (fk8).
      They're foglights supposedly. I never find that they make visibility better in the rain/fog to be honest though but I do leave them on at night cause it looks cool.

39. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drove my 2GR-FE powered car ~100km with a cylinder 3 misfire, how badly did I probably frick it up? It came back a couple times during the trip but only for like 10 seconds.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

like a constant misfire where you felt it vibrating and stuff like shit or what? misfires do not feel good.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Ya exactly that. I mistakenly assumed it was the same misfire I'd had a few years ago with a broken ignition coil clip (just pushed it back on, didn't replace), but it's a different cylinder.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

and it's constantly been doing that for 100km?
          yea, that's not good.
          I'm surprised you didn't grenade a piston. Constant misfiring and shit will chip away at the piston until...it's just ruined.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

ahhhhhh frick

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i read 100km as 1000km
            youre probably ok but it isn't good and you didn't do it for super long term so if it runs now with full power don't worry about it.

40. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

should i get a corolla hybrid or prius prime? money isnt 'really' an issue.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Then why bother with a hybrid? Get something more big and powerful

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

i dont care about cars for performance, i just want the most economical car possible.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *