Redpill me on this car.

Redpill me on this car.
Need a RWD NA V8 with manual, budget is $30k.
Want a daily driver, so something that's reliable and comfortable. So not too ancient.
Reliable also means relatively cheap repairs.
Also considering a 5th gen Mustang.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

gto is a re-badged holden monero, so all the parts are in australia
    get a 6th gen mustang

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>T56 / 4L60
      >LS1 / LS2

All of the drivetrain is standard GM stuff.

Redpill me on this car.
      Need a RWD NA V8 with manual, budget is $30k.
      Want a daily driver, so something that's reliable and comfortable. So not too ancient.
      Reliable also means relatively cheap repairs.
      Also considering a 5th gen Mustang.

It’s probably a bit too old now so expect electrics to play up.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>T56 / 4L60
      >LS1 / LS2

All of the drivetrain is standard GM stuff.

[...]
      It’s probably a bit too old now so expect electrics to play up.

So just hope you don't ever have to replace your hood or door or something non powertrain related?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

most the mechanical stuff is similar or the same as the 5th gen camaro (because the camaro was also aussie based by that point)

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

5th gen Camaro is unironically the VE Monaro but GM gave it to Chevy after Holden designed it.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If only Chevy didn't make it butt fricking ugly with failed retro boomershit styling that aged like milk and 6" tall windows so you can't see out of it

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>daily
    >manual

Have fun with traffic, moron.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

homosexual

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Have you ever driven a manual with a hydraulic clutch? Seems like a non-issue unless you're a limp ankled homosexual.

It's bait you idiots.

https://i.imgur.com/V0jgzza.jpeg

the major performance components (engine, transmission, rear end/driveshaft, brakes, some suspension bits) are all shared with the base C6 corvette. parts are not hard to find if you need say spark plug wires or an oil pan or a brake caliper.

body panels are near impossible to come by as are almost all interior parts. they have to be shipped from australia. the good news is, that jamal and muhammad seem to wreck one of these once a week, so it may be worth buying some parts to sit on from a donor car.

as for the car itself:
        its a barge. its not a track car, its a comfy cruiser that can go fast in a straight line and blend in with the 100 other grand ams/prixs on the road. the interior is comfy but uninspiring. the backseat is much larger than any coupe ive ever been in, even the challenger. the leather is very brittle and prone to cracking. the handling dynamics are fricked because of where they put the gas tank, which also gives you almost no trunk space. the dubiously soft rear suspension is often toast. you cant run a larger tire on the rear without modifying the fender, 255s is around the max you should go.

do i love mine? yes. would i ever sell it? no. are they worth the mid-20s prices people are asking for them? not really. would i recommend someone buying one as anything more than a sunday cruiser? absolutely not. get a 05-14 mustang if you want anything more than a sunday cruiser.

>body panels are near impossible to come by as are almost all interior parts.
        And declining every day, huh?
        >the backseat is much larger than any coupe ive ever been in, even the challenger
        But I found out about the weird fuel tank location and how the seats don't fold down.
        This alone actually seals the deal to not consider this...
        >get a 05-14 mustang
        True, I think 30 grand can really go a long way with this gen of Mustang, right?
        Can consider <30k mile cars in great condition.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

hell $30k is a lot of money in today’s market. you dont even need to go back to the 00s to find deals. $30k in my area will get you a 2019 Mustang GT with low miles. you could probably even find an alpha Camaro SS in the 30k range. for the 05-14 generation, those are all sub 20 for the most part.

yeah unfortunately the GTOs are great second cars but awful primary cars. parts availability, age, and the lack of trunk space make them unlivable for everyday use

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Have you ever driven a manual with a hydraulic clutch? Seems like a non-issue unless you're a limp ankled homosexual.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Lrn2 drive homosexual

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous
  3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the major performance components (engine, transmission, rear end/driveshaft, brakes, some suspension bits) are all shared with the base C6 corvette. parts are not hard to find if you need say spark plug wires or an oil pan or a brake caliper.

body panels are near impossible to come by as are almost all interior parts. they have to be shipped from australia. the good news is, that jamal and muhammad seem to wreck one of these once a week, so it may be worth buying some parts to sit on from a donor car.

as for the car itself:
    its a barge. its not a track car, its a comfy cruiser that can go fast in a straight line and blend in with the 100 other grand ams/prixs on the road. the interior is comfy but uninspiring. the backseat is much larger than any coupe ive ever been in, even the challenger. the leather is very brittle and prone to cracking. the handling dynamics are fricked because of where they put the gas tank, which also gives you almost no trunk space. the dubiously soft rear suspension is often toast. you cant run a larger tire on the rear without modifying the fender, 255s is around the max you should go.

do i love mine? yes. would i ever sell it? no. are they worth the mid-20s prices people are asking for them? not really. would i recommend someone buying one as anything more than a sunday cruiser? absolutely not. get a 05-14 mustang if you want anything more than a sunday cruiser.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's 30k for a nearly 20 year old car, I'm all for buying used but you can buy used and find something much newer and theoretically better if you want. Especially since even the mileage isn't crazy, especially if it was left outside in winters, age can still cause seals and tubes and what not to deteriorate and be a nuisance

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Assuming you live in a state with no salt and minimal winter, C5/C6 Corvette
    >GM parts bin
    >Large aftermarket
    >Massive cargo area for what it is
    >Great mpg for what it is
    >Fairly easy to wrench on yourself aside from clutch or torque tube related stuff.
    >Some issues with the fuel gauge and dual fuel tanks, but can usually be mitigated with techron
    >Will keep up with or beat anything modern under $100k

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

True, true.
      Just always preferred a bigger muscle car look than a Vette, but there's nothing on paper which I can reason that with haha. But yeah, looking for C5, C6, and if I stretch my budget to like $45k, even C7s.
      Would going back to a 4th gen Camaro be a bad idea? Its parts are probably just as easy to come by right? I'm just wondering if it'll be too unrefined or ancient to daily drive lol. Heard the interior was described as a bag of legos with the amount of plastic.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ya parts availability is about the same. More of a cruiser than a sports car compared to a corvette. It uses a solid rear axle which makes a difference when it comes to handling and dynamics.
        Also note that the F Bodies stuff the engine deep into the bay and make the last two cylinders almost inaccessible.
        You'll also gain a back seat but at the expense of some trunk space.
        The FBodies are also over a foot longer than a C5/C6 and just as wide. It's a pretty big car.
        Also less sex appeal if it matters to you, but thats just imo

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

From drag racer to sports car/track car

4th Gen Camaro
        GTO/CTSV
        5th Gen Camaro
        S197 Mustang
        S550 Mustang
        C5-C7 Vette
        6th Gen Camaro

Do the Mustangs if you need backseats. There's literally nothing wrong with them, they're great cars. If I wanted a all around cruiser/street car I can take to a mountain road or track day and have fun, I'd buy a $5-8000 3v 4.6 or a $12-15k 5.0 and have a blast. $30k is putting you well into S550 or C6 GS/6th Gen Camaro territory though.

Personally I hate 4th Gens, they were clapped out shitboxes even brand new (I'm the guy who always complains about their ergos and how big the car is) but they have their place in the world as drag cars

I wouldnt drop more than $10k on a GTO. Just get a 5.0 at that point, same performance but way better handling. The interior is a wash too cause you're dealing with a newer Ford interior

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where are you getting quoted 30k for these? On FB marketplace in Central Texas they run about 15k for 100k miles

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>15k for 100k miles
      Well yeah, this is $30k for 24k miles lol. A quarter of the mileage and double the price.
      But it's still slightly overpriced, by like $5,000 maybe, it's one of these "classic car" dealers, so I assume it's pretty high quality.

>30k USD
      I swear I've seen you americans post these going around 9k, what the frick happened? You'd have a heart attack if you saw how much monaros cost down under.

I don't think GTOs were ever 9k in a good condition? lol. Also this

04s with the LS1 and an auto and higher mileage can be that cheap. This one is an 05/06 manual LS2 with low miles and being sold by a "premium" car dealer so it's going to be massively overpriced.

Manuals will always hold their value more.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>But it's still slightly overpriced, by like $5,000 maybe
        The car is worth $12K max.
        We must push back against this nonsense.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>The car is worth $12K max.
          Lol find literally any other car with 25k miles with a V8 and manual for $12k.
          Do you understand how supply and demand work?
          I'm not advocating for higher prices, but what you said just doesn't make sense.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Do you understand how supply and demand work?
            Actually, most of the world's Pricing is established Administratively, with a fixed Profit Margin above Producer's Cost.
            Walmart doesn't change the Price on the last roll of toilet paper or xbox on their shelves.
            Americans still permit this Supply and Demand paradigm to be applied in painful ways, such as Real Estate...

Low mileage only grants *so much* of a premium, and certainly not an 18K premium here.
            Car components will deteriorate with Age, regardless of mileage.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>30k USD
    I swear I've seen you americans post these going around 9k, what the frick happened? You'd have a heart attack if you saw how much monaros cost down under.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

04s with the LS1 and an auto and higher mileage can be that cheap. This one is an 05/06 manual LS2 with low miles and being sold by a "premium" car dealer so it's going to be massively overpriced.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

$30K to make some Grifter's day.
    HARD PASS.
    Apply that $30K towards a Blackwing, either version.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *