Replace rocker panels myself or let them rot?

I've got a 2008 Chevy Colorado LT with 90k miles on it. Both my rocker panels are rotted. Frame is mostly ok AFAIK (theres a spot I'm worried about behind the rotted inner rocker). Apologies if my anatomy terms are incorrect. Local place wants 8k to repair and thats more than my truck cost. I've got a mig welder, compressor, and grinder but I've haven't really worked with sheet metal before. Should I just let them rot or put in the effort? Would it be more cost effective to dress the wounds and cover them with a slip on panel?

I own this vehicle and I just need it to survive through college. I won't be able to afford a new vehicle for the next few years so I wan't to prolong this one's life as long as possible.

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Go for it who cares what it looks like in the end just take your time and then take your time prepping for paint.
    Slip on is just cope rockers are cheap

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just wanted to make sure I'm not being overly confident. A lot of the forums I looked at had people saying "don't even dream of it" unless you were a professional.

How concerned do I need to be about warpage if I remove the panel? Some of the posts I saw mentioned that your frame can flex once the panel stops bracing it.

>I own this vehicle and I just need it to survive through college.

why on earth did you buy a rotting truck if you just need a college commuting car lmfao

unfortunate life circumstances and poor decisions

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Your frame won't flex. The cab might but I doubt it will effect it much. They aren't hard to replace just takes time and patience which most people do not have and they shouldn't touch body work.
        Just send it. It's a gm product you can't make it any worse

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>people saying "don't even dream of it" unless you were a professional
        They're all pussies, since you already have the welder I assume you know how to weld, that's the hardest part. Doing this kind of work is just time-consuming, it's not really hard

Go for it, the rockers are already fricked so a few practice welds won't ruin them

>cut a small piece then patch it with some sheet metal
        >keep doing this until you get good enough
        >cut out your fricked up rockers
        >get good ones from a junkyard

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

this. it will probably take you a good chunk of your day.

also, op, whats the rest of your frame like? have you poked around? how certain are you about the structural integrity of potential swiss cheese?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Chevys are just like this. The frame itself lasts forever but the rockers go like immediately. Don't ask me why I'm not a scientologist enginerd I just observed and came to a conclusion.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Don't listen to that moron the cab can a d will flex. Ffs a busted cab mount can make a door shut like shit. Either weld in a brace b4 you start cutting (can be literally any piece of scrap metal laying around) or if you do just wing it without the brace make sure the door shuts okay before burning it in all the way.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>I own this vehicle and I just need it to survive through college.

why on earth did you buy a rotting truck if you just need a college commuting car lmfao

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Drive it until it falls apart unless it fails safety inspection. Those beancounter GM trucks aren't worth unfricking.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I just patched a whole lot of holes on my e36.
    mostly rocker panels.

I just cut patches and stich welded then over the holes + some shaped pieces for the corners but the whole underbody feels very stable now and I don't have issues jacking the car anymore so I think it's a success.

I have to say it was a kinda satisfying job.

also I'm not a very skilled welder and used a entry level machine so it's very doable.

I'd say go for it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

adding to this I only did stuff that's on the underbody or covered by plastic trim but if you can buy actual shaped body panels it should be super doable to even do visible parts.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ohh boy I can sing you a song about a rotting e36

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

shiiit that looks bad.
        now I feel like kinda blessed with my rust heap.

the thing is mine looked great at first, I just tore one hole when I was jacking it a bit hastily.
        but once I took the wire brush to the underbody it was at least 10 holes per side.
        there's probably more hiding.

that inside seam where the rocker goes back upwards is either rusty or gone on mine.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Never buy a truck with rockers visible below the door. My rockers 404'd 10 years ago.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Whats your rust prevention routine like for the exposed bits?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Cover in plastic and cope. Blast the rust dust and dirt from the boxed frame with an air compressor once a year so the frame doesn't snap in half.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

oh look it's the "just hide the parts of your vehicle that were destroyed by road salt with plastic lmao" gay again

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Everyone fearmongers about welding. It's really not that bad. Does it take a while? Yeah. Do you need a decent welder and patience? Yeah. Do you need to put some minor effort into prep and rust prevention? Yeah. But none of it's really all that difficult.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>08 truck
    >rusted to shit already
    Holy hell and here I thought my datsun trugg was a rotted out piece of shit, it looks practically new compared to that.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

white trash that shit, grind all the rust out and use jb weld/bondo then rattlecan that shit so itll make it through.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *