Rust prevention

How do you properly protect a car against rust?

I have an NC miata and I live in a place with winters and salt on the roads. It has almost zero rust at the moment, it looks really clean (prev owner kept it garaged and never drove it in winter).

I'd love to be able to not drive it in the winter at all but I can't afford a second car.

I've seen recommendations for different types of wax, sealants, paints, and also seen counter arguments for each of them (they seal in moisture in, they do more harm than good, etc). I've asked a few shops in my area and I've always gotten a different response, they all seem to think the way THEY do it is the best.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

used motor oil.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just let the shop spray some shit on there. oil/wax based not the rubbery stuff.
    how can you afford gas if you don't have $500 for another car?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The insurance alone will cost about $500, then you have yearly inspection, road tax, regular tax, oil & filters changes, probably timing belt service if the previous owner hasn't done it, probably some new tires... And that's assuming nothing else breaks in the meantime, which for a cheap shitbox is very likely.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>$500 car
      It’s not 1995 anymore gramps

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I suggest the oil/wax based products, not the bedliner style product in your pic. Rust gets under paint based products and hides there until it's fricked. Best to coat it in midsummer when the car is nice and dry.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>too broke for a second car
    >relies on his car everyday
    >buys a fricking mx5
    stay broke shitskin i hope it rusts out from under you

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I don't rely on it, it's for fun. I live in a walkable european city, and work is 1km away

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

uh, then don't drive it in the winter..

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

But I'll get bored. And I still need a car every now and then.

Yes. Depends how much you use the car. I put it on my 4WD for example and give it a refresh before I go on the beach. Twice a year is plenty. Don't have to clean it off. It doesn't gather dust as long as you let it set/dry before driving.
          It does however make wrenching under there a black-hands dirty business as soon as you touch anything.

I only need it to last for 3 months with a few drives per week. I'll look into it, thanks.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>But I'll get bored. And I still need a car every now and then.
            you're acting like a child, no you cannot have your cake and eat it too. If you want to rust proof it you're going to have to wash the undercarriage down with fresh, non salted water regularly which you won't do, or you'll have to just deal with salt.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Bus pass.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lanolin spray

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Have you used this? How long would you say it lasts? Does the old coat have to be cleaned/removed before re-aplying? I would imagine it gathers dust even though they say it doesn't.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yes. Depends how much you use the car. I put it on my 4WD for example and give it a refresh before I go on the beach. Twice a year is plenty. Don't have to clean it off. It doesn't gather dust as long as you let it set/dry before driving.
        It does however make wrenching under there a black-hands dirty business as soon as you touch anything.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/uLYjRpW.jpeg

How do you properly protect a car against rust?

I have an NC miata and I live in a place with winters and salt on the roads. It has almost zero rust at the moment, it looks really clean (prev owner kept it garaged and never drove it in winter).

I'd love to be able to not drive it in the winter at all but I can't afford a second car.

I've seen recommendations for different types of wax, sealants, paints, and also seen counter arguments for each of them (they seal in moisture in, they do more harm than good, etc). I've asked a few shops in my area and I've always gotten a different response, they all seem to think the way THEY do it is the best.

Not OP
      I Live in perfect-weather California but the bottom of my shitbox is covered in surface rust. What's the proper procedure to get rid of said rust and keep it protected?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

disassemble the car completely, down to nuts and bolts
        lick every single of piece of it clean, with your tongue
        coat every piece of it in a thick layer of dried coom
        and put it back together

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Roger that.
          Will check back once completed.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>How do you properly protect a car against rust?

rustoleum rusty metal primer mixed with acetone spayed right on top of rusty problem areas.

all the temp oil shit is BS in my experience. it's ok for a temp solution but it washes off fast as frick.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Makes no sense that they don't paint the parts going underneath the car and kind if gives away that they don't want the thing to last. Paint is the very lowest form of defense against rust, paint everything underneath it as a first line of defense. Rocks and shit are going to chip away some areas, then keep them oiled or put on a tougher layer of ceramic coating or some type of tough enamel coating. Having to oil the bottom of your car is actually quite ridiculous, this is a major flaw by auto manufacturers.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Knock out rust crust wash out the salt and grease. Oil too thin and wax, paint and rubber all flakes and chips.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If youve got an mx5 you need a cavity seal too, not just underseal. I use waxoil. It will rot out in front of you If you drive on salted wet roads and dont treat the car, I've worked on a 4yr old nd that looked worse than 20yr old flat punto underneath because while he could "afford" a new car the thick c**t could afford 400 quid for a Cavity and underseal. Not sure if you can get waxoil wherever you are but it lasts me 2 years (I keep my 5 in a warm garage and it doesn't get used over winter)

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/waxoyl-treatment/

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just wash the undercarriage now and then, spray the trouble spots with cosmoline and for the love of Gd, don’t use rubberized undercoating and the car will outlast you.

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

wash the undercarriage sometimes
    fluid film is a very good product

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've spent the past month one and off sanding down rust and spraying reformer and paint on it. If it still looks good come autumn, I'll hit it all with fluid film all over.
    The PROPER way to protect against rust is to not drive it during winter. If only, though

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Igl ageis.... thank me later
    (Industrial ceramic coating)

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Either don't drive during winter or get a new car before rust sets in.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Krown/Fluid Film undercoating every year, every other year. The companies actually recommend doing it in the spring and not before winter like everyone thinks to do it.

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>How do you properly protect a car against rust?
    By not buying chinkmutt nipshit

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

this. its called buying a superior galvanized product my car hasnt had paint on it in over 10 years and has never been in a garage.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

which car

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Not the same anon, but I know at least Audis, Fords and Cadillacs have been pretty well hot zinc-dipped or electroplated since the late 1980s. Some of their cars from around 1990 haven't even started rusting yet. In general, US and Euro brands have been better at rust protection.
          I think Toyota and Mazda started doing at least basic zinc body treatments around 2010, but anything older than that was probably subtly rusting somewhere when it rolled out of the factory.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *