Save for a car lift, or does a pit and a jack suffice for an ambitious wrenchlet?

Save for a car lift, or does a pit and a jack suffice for an ambitious wrenchlet?

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do you have a garage? I'd take the lift anytime.
    Pit:
    >easy to build
    >dark
    >still shitty access to the sides, can't easily lift/lower the car if dropping axles/engine etc
    >can suffocate you if filled with gases heavier than air, petrol is a great contender

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Yes but it'd only be big enough for a scissor lift, and the lifting height would also be somewhat limited because of the rails of the garage door etc. Maybe a mobile lift that i can trolley out onto parking space in front would be an option.

i'd take ramps over a pit.

So a pit isn't really that great huh.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Im renting an old gdr workshop with a pit and it's crazy nice.
        granted, I'd rather take a lift in the future but don't discredit a pit.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

go ahead chum

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>undeclared trampolines

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Trampoline is a massive injury source for fat kids and should double the insurance rate.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Having fat kids should double your insurance rate

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Frick you commie i got 10 illegal undeclared trampolines with custom mods. Pry it from my cold dead hands

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

What do you need those for, training gymnastics? You're just a larper.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

When I was a poorgay living in a big apartment complex I used to go to the back of the lot and drive two tires up onto the curb to climb under my car to wrench. A pit feels barely one step up from that. It sucks.

Insurance is a scam and most insurance companies will do everything in their power to not pay you when they should. It's reasonable and moral to lie to and cheat them every way you can.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

They already tried to get me with this. Sent me an email and asked individually for every vehicle on the property along with aerial photos: "is this vehicle running and driving?"
      After a long list of "yes, frick off," they came back circling my wood pile, my coal storage, and all the xeriscaping on one side of the house, and noted it all as "piles of garbage" and said I had to clean it all up or they'd drop me. I went and saw my agent in person, told him to pound sand, and cancelled my 20 year old account which included two homes, 8 vehicles, and life insurance for 6 people. Now I have a better policy and pay less, and the day they sent me an email with overhead photos of the property, I'll do the same thing again.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Why do they care if the vehicles are running and driving?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

If it's derelict and just sitting there, it's a fire hazard. That's what they told me.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I want to be perfectly clear, every vehicle they specifically asked about has no engine in it, some have no drivetrain at all, two are just bodies sitting on the ground.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/VIXvsC4.png

go ahead chum

Ausgay here wtf ? So insurance companies drone over your shit!

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

youre full of shit, insurance companies share information, if one drops you for stupid shit, so will the next

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>if one drops you for stupid shit
          The point is to leave the second they ask stupid questions, not wait for them to actually drop the account. I'm a white person, if I'm uninsured then Jesus and St. Peter won't let me past the pearly gates.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I don't think that's how it works.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I see you are new here. Pro-tip: it's the israelites, and it always has been.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Jews can't get into heaven, the frick are you on about?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Build a pit CORRECTLY. Use the money you've saved to buy more and better tools.
        >Correctly?
        With angled concrete/brick walls and a ramp entrance.

>Home and personal insurance
        Lol.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>concrete/brick
          Bricks are generally decorative veneers; they may have been used in old-ass buildings over a hundred years ago, but they also used clay tile blocks that were even more shit, so that's not a good example. Concrete blocks are what you would want over brick; cmu (concrete masonry units). For a pit, you could probably just use those large blocks that they use for civil retaining walls n shit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Good thing I didnt fall for the insurance scam

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

why are americans like this?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/WYBlQ4V.jpg

>be American
        >post memes about British fishing licences
        >decide to go fishing
        >get shot for standing on an unfenced, unsignposted patch of private property 1/1846th of an inch off of public land
        >insurance refuses to pay out because of your undeclared trampolines

WHY DO THE POORS KEEP THINKING OF US?

ANYWAYS LET ME KEEP POSTING ABOUT MY DODGE NEON FROM MY CARCINOGENIC FEMA CARAVAN

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>be American
      >post memes about British fishing licences
      >decide to go fishing
      >get shot for standing on an unfenced, unsignposted patch of private property 1/1846th of an inch off of public land
      >insurance refuses to pay out because of your undeclared trampolines

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>speeding tickets affect your car insurance rate
        imagine getting cucked by the government

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

They already tried to get me with this. Sent me an email and asked individually for every vehicle on the property along with aerial photos: "is this vehicle running and driving?"
      After a long list of "yes, frick off," they came back circling my wood pile, my coal storage, and all the xeriscaping on one side of the house, and noted it all as "piles of garbage" and said I had to clean it all up or they'd drop me. I went and saw my agent in person, told him to pound sand, and cancelled my 20 year old account which included two homes, 8 vehicles, and life insurance for 6 people. Now I have a better policy and pay less, and the day they sent me an email with overhead photos of the property, I'll do the same thing again.

I know we're already long too far into Weimamerica and we already know the answer, but how is shit like this not an automatic invasion of privacy?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Any butthole can get a drone license and legally fly over your home all day at the legal altitude, livestreaming straight to the internet, nothing unlawful about it. You're only entitled to privacy if you're locked in your box. My mother, god bless her zombie bones, suggested erecting a steel canopy that covers the entire property. I love the silly idea, but of course the law forbids me from building on my own property without first sucking the wiener of a bunch of boomers who live 250 miles from here, and even then I'm not allowed to do it myself even if I'm actually licensed to do the work. I'm a fricking electrician and it's illegal for me to replace an outlet in my own home, even if I do it as a real job with permits and paperwork. Everything's fricked, 6/10 wouldn't recommend.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That’s failrp they can’t do that

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous
  3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i'd take ramps over a pit.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymouse

https://i.imgur.com/X9ZG3Zk.jpg

Why would you even really want the pit? Honestly the only thing it would speed up is fluid changes, and ramps are good for the same thing. Most shops don’t have pits, they only really exist at places that are 95% oil changes.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

People without experience are afraid of ramps, because they think that a flimsy piece of steel is somehow not as strong as a flimsy piece of steel with hydraulics inside.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Jesus? Buddha? Not for me. I put all my faith in a pair of Chinese o-rings and a cast-iron pawl backed by the spring from a clicky-top pen.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

that’s a dry well

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i've used these, it works but is a little finicky and dribbles hydraulic fluid.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Most of the things you would do yourself are tires, brakes and suspension, a pit is useless for that.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Redneck ramp in the back, homie. Couple of cinder blocks and some concrete will do you.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've learned with ramps and jack and done nearly all the work on this car myself 5 years and counting. Personally I just recommend getting gud with the jack. It's the best combo of safe/cheap/versatile imho. People think ramps are safer but as a new driver I did some damage with them. Never had a problem with the jack though. Learn how to keep it from slipping on you and how it should roll when you lift/release. Just my 2 cents as a poorgay.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Pits sketch me the frick out

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Haven’t worked with a pit, but my dad has a lift and it’s paid for itself so many times over. A few advantages I can think of is it’s really easy to work on the wheels, it’s well-lit, easy to access tools parts etc since you don’t need to climb in and out. Feels a lot safer than a floor jack and stands.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

if people pay for convenience, a lift is certainly one of those things people pay for

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

For a wrenchlet? Buy a good set of jackstands. Anything more is a rarted investment unless you're making money from it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *