Seafoam...

Is it a scam?
Will it void my warranty?

I have a GDI engine and some said it fixed the knocking by applying seafoam...

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Is it a scam?
    No, it's just a cleaner, and a very good one at that. That said, it's not miracle fluid; the only thing that it does is remove gunk and buildup deposits from the fuel line or oil loop, depending on what you put it in. It's VERY good at its job, and most of the people who say that it "ruined their engine" had gunk quite literally holding their seals together and when the Seafoam cleaned all that shit out it revealed tons and tons of wear and gappage that nobody cared to have fixed. Owner's problem, not Seafoam's problem.

>Will it void my warranty?
    Highly unlikely seeing as I can't imagine how anyone would be able to tell that you ran Seafoam through your engine anyway. Other than cleaning things it won't do any damage unless you put too much in and then try to run what is essentially contaminated gasoline.

>I have a GDI engine and some said it fixed the knocking by applying seafoam...
    If the "knocking" was a detonation problem caused by a clogged fuel injector or clogged fuel line then I can see this being the case, but just remember that it's a cleaner, not a godly intervention in a bottle.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Thanks anon. It's a 2.7 silverado, with 7k miles...
      Sometimes it will seem like something is majorly clogged and cause it to stutter when starting and the idle tk be rough as well as the knocking and or rumbling, I mentioned, that only is noticeable when cold mostly.

I just plug the seafoam can into the air box right? Someone else said they put it through the map sensor, I want to make sure the injectors etc are clean.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>with 7k miles...
        why don't you just have them fix it under warranty?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I stole it

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>, it's just a cleaner, and a very good one at that
      Kek, never buying used

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Never put that shit in the oil. All it will do is thin it out and ruin the oil's lubrication properties. Might as well pour paint thinner in your engine.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

thinning it is the point of putting it in the oil so it loosens stuff up for when you drain the oil in the next like 30 miles of run time. you wouldn't just add it and leave it in there indefinitely

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It works. I was having major oil starvation issues. There was a metal scraping sound when I turned off my engine. My overall fuel economy tanked to under 20MPG no matter how I babied it. If I took my foot off the gas at 40MPH, the instant economy would show barely over 30MPG coasting, when I should've gotten well over 30 driving.

Running Sea Foam through the crank fixed that right up. Pic is after a ~20 mile highway drive at 55MPH. Before, it might've been around 21.

I'm never using Walmart synthetic again. Switched to Penzoil.

It's not an oil additive. You don't put it in after an oil change to "make the oil better," you put it in ~100 miles before an oil change to clean out the gunk.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

what happened to gas button

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The coating started to flake off.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

She's a thirsty girl so that button gets used a lot.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>muh snake oil
        post your toolbox

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Can work but needs to be used with the caution that your engine could be gunked up in such a way that clearing it all out could make oil leaks, that if there's a lot of buildup being removed it can clog your oil filter forcing the bypass open which would then circulate anything else through the engine possibly making problems worse.
        Not to fear monger, like technically my brakes "could fail" at any time in the same way technically a seafoam treatment "could cause more problems"

I personally wouldn't use serious cleaners unless the car had obvious problems like

It's better to use good oils, good known fuels with high cleaner content, and changing your filters and fluids at a good time. Good oils have their own detergent properties and this is where the half-true myth of "switching to synthetic made all my seals leak" came from.
        Techron concentrate is great for cleaning your fuel system and upper cylinder and quality oils are good for cleaning literally everything else in the engine.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

the detergents in modern fuels really help too
          techron and vpower are both proven to work and basically do exactly what seafoam does when you do a combustion chamber application.

seafoam does work but it's not a "miracle fix it", it's a chemical tool for cleaning parts of the engine you'd otherwise have to disassemble it to access. like any tool if you just swing it around willy nilly you're bound to break something.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>it's a chemical tool for cleaning parts of the engine you'd otherwise have to disassemble it to access.

its also a pretty decent soak-cleaner too. or in a sonic cleaner too

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Seafoam is mostly snake oil.
    These cleaners really only work if you take a part (valve, hose) out of a car and soak it in just the cleaner for a long time under heat. I've used Seafoam many times, but I have no actual reason to believe it works.
    Also, most people only put it in their fuel tank in stead of sucking it through a vacuum hose like you're supposed to.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

i put a whole can in my tank on fill up and a can in the oil and red lined my 6.0 power stroke for like 30 miles, drained oil and took off valve covers, cleaned this piss out off it and made the injectors health. your a whole ass moron that has no idea what your doing past buying a can at vato zone and thinking it will make your miata better.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

ran it through my lawn mower after taking it apart for gumming up. Cleaned it great. Try picking up a wrench.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Don't mix oils. Do an oil change and put in high quality synthetic oil. Good oil is designed to clean and not just lubricate and already has additives to its formula and mixing oils can throw the additive levels off and alter the viscosity, or the oils may not mix correctly and one oil will sit on top of the other like when you mix water and oil. You're taking a risk that's not worth it using this stuff.

Using fuel additives can help though.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't think it's a scam, but it seems unnecessary considering you can just buy gas and oil normally that all ready has various detergents and cleaners in it.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just throw some sodium hydroxide in that b***h.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If your car is under warranty shouldn't have to use it.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

ChrisFix did a pretty good video on it where he snaked a cam into the cylinders before and after… it works. Just do the use it too much. It can dry out partstdvd.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How'd he do it though? In the oil or through a vacuum hose?
      It works, but I don't think it does much if you just put it in a tank of gas which is how almost everyone seems to use it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Go watch his video and find out homosexual. The content is literally out there for you to educate yourself

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

dont wanna and you cant make me

post the damn vid

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No, I'm not watching some chrisfix video even if you do post it here. Next thing you know I'd have Donut and Scotty videos in my recommendations for months.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

that stuff is good but i have found mopar combustion chamber cleaner to be better. even after a whole bottle of seafoam the mopar stuff is able to clean out what the seafoam couldnt. if you need to clean carbon outside of the engine the difference is strength is readily apparent.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The boiling point of seafoam is around 170/180 degrees. How long do you think it lasts in your engine to clean out junk once your oil reaches operating temp? It might do something in your fuel lines but it doesn't contain PEA so I would doubt it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

how would you use seafoam? do you think its an oil additive?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

seafoam is meant to be used in the oil only before you do an oil change, as a gunk flush and thinner

in the gas tank cleans fuel lines and injectors
        in thru the pcv line cleans the combuistion chamber

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

This, you add it to the oil while the engine is cold. Then let it idle or very gently drive it around the block to get it up to temp then flush it immediately. You can do the same thing with Berrymans B12.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Read the bottle motherfricker.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I prefer Marvel Mystery Oil.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It is just isopropyl alcohol

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I put a whole bottle of seafoam in my 09 Honda Fit brake booster vaccum line. Takes forever cause you have to go slow or it will stall. I made so much smoke surprised neighbors didn't call the fire department ...lol

14. 3 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

>warranty
    why the frick are you pouring solovent into your new car

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The problem most people have with seafoam is they're lazy and don't harvest it themselves. Go to the ocean, people

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *