second thoughts on wasting money

after over a year and a half of waiting, i got a call yesterday that the new Supra that i requested has come through on an allocation. it's not exactly what i originally wanted, but it's a manual Supra and it's at a minimal ($500) markup.

since i planned this out i've been saving every paycheck to make as much of a downpayment as possible. due to it taking nearly 18 months i've essentially saved up the entire $60k price of the car.

now that i have an extra $60k i'm really hesitant on spending it on buying a new car. i thought it would be something i wanted, but now i've got second thoughts after all of this time.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Financing rates are pretty good right now. Make $0 down and 2.99% interest over 60 months while you invest $50k and let it become $100k + in 5 years

Stop being poor

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

how do you get 2.99% APR on a new Supra? they offer zero incentives and my credit union's best rate is 6.25% on new cars.

the fact that i can just save the $60k i saved and not buy anything is very tempting though.

Finance it at the lowest possible amount and spend the difference half on coin and half on stonks

i already put 20k in ETH in 2022 and it still hasn't recovered, nor did the NFTs that i bought. i'm not buying more crypto.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>moronic enough to buy NFTs
        Post your apes.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>how do you get 2.99% APR on a new Supra? they offer zero incentives and my credit union's best rate is 6.25% on new cars.

Maybe buy something else. I keep seeing commercials for 0.9% financing for various cars so buy one of those instead.

Dont invest in crypto. Invest in Boeing (at the right time, it might drop like a 737 max, but when it does then invest) of course tech stonks have been good. Amazon, Tesla, apple, Microsoft, Google have all been making massive gains for many years.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Finance it at the lowest possible amount and spend the difference half on coin and half on stonks

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

no. i don’t understand how shitcoins and cryptocurrency works or how it makes me physical money I can withdraw from the bank.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

So then just stonks or CDs or whatever
        Just because you can buy something outright doesn't mean it's necessarily the smart way to use money

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

What CD will pay out >8% interest rate that average car loans are?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

VTSAX long run avg 12%
            Last 12 months 31%

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

before you take any financial advice from anons on DA, remember that DA is almost entirely populated by mcdonald's employees and degenerate gamblers

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

this

VTSAX long run avg 12%
            Last 12 months 31%

post is a good example, he is trying to compare a broad market mutual fund that has a max drawdown of over 30% to a CD from a bank. There is a massive difference in risk between the two.

What CD will pay out >8% interest rate that average car loans are?

Over 8% on a CD? You won't find that anywhere. You might be able to find some 5% ones if you look hard enough.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Put 40k down and finance 20k.
    That way you still have 20k of savings left while your debt won't be too bad

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lol you are having buyer's remorse before actually buying the car.
    Why don't you lease it for some time and see how much you enjoy it?
    See if it really provides you happiness in life.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yes basically, buyers remorse since i saved up a large sum of money to spend on this but now i feel like it's a waste of money

leasing it is still $900/mo, that's a hefty sum no matter how you slice it and knowing my luck it'll be worth 25k in 3 years

>how do you get 2.99% APR on a new Supra? they offer zero incentives and my credit union's best rate is 6.25% on new cars.

Maybe buy something else. I keep seeing commercials for 0.9% financing for various cars so buy one of those instead.

Dont invest in crypto. Invest in Boeing (at the right time, it might drop like a 737 max, but when it does then invest) of course tech stonks have been good. Amazon, Tesla, apple, Microsoft, Google have all been making massive gains for many years.

are there any manual sports cars available brand new at a 0.9% interest rate?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>$900/mo lease
        If you keep saving up to $200k you can put it all into US T-bills @ 5.25% and essentially have a "free" lease. Then you can give it back to the dealercucks after 3 years when the depreciation starts to accelerate and walk away - not my problem.

If you can get an investment portfolio yielding 10% you can do this with $100k. REITs, forex sov bonds, CEFs, short option selling, oil & gas and tobacco dividend stocks, etc.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I don't know what any of this means but you seem like a smart guy. I inherited 250k and had it sitting in a brokerage account all year, and now its at 300k but I'm not sure if I have to pay taxes on it or if I'm smart for keeping it in there. The bank financial advisor tells me to just leave it alone but I'm not sure if thats the best bet.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Depends if you inherited stocks vs. cash, when you bought the assets in your brokerage account, how much you earn, and how much you want to cash out.

Worst case, you inherited cash, bought the S&P with it 9 months ago, you make $100k per year as a single white male, you cash out $60k for the supra: you'd end up paying like $18k taxes on that withdrawal. So in that case just leave it alone.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Buy a GR86 for 60% of the money and enjoy some small sense of financial freedom with the remaining $15k in the bank. It sounds like you are realizing that the Supra won't get you any b***hes. And you are right.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

There's no car that will get you b***hes lol, as a man you have to live for yourself, not live for women. What makes YOU happy?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i'm debating on that, and while i thought the supra was a cool option, that was me in my 20s and i've hit my 30s now and i feel like wasting money at this point in my life seems really stupid. especially $60k in one drop. $30k for a GR86 seems pretty decent, but i'm not sure how i'd like one comparably.

I financed my wrx at 1.9%
          not really a sports car but 6 speed manual, low ground clearance, premium gas required, poor MPG and a harsh ride if you're into that.

what year was this? i had 0% on my mazda6 in 2019 pre-covid, but that was 5 years ago and today is today. you're gonna pay like 6-8% on on anything "fun" even with perfect credit i've seen

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I had the WRX from 2021-2022. I timed the market pretty good

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

What are you driving now? If it's paid off and you like it then $60k for a car you hopefully like more is a tough sell. If you're leasing some shit box you hate and this is your ticket off that carousel into owning something you can care for and still take pride in and enjoy 20 years from now it could be money well spent.
          Selfishly since I don't buy new cars I'd like to see Toyota rewarded for doing this, I'd love to see 2024 end with dealer lots overflowing with cuckovers that can't move even with 0% financing and fat stacks of bonus cash, but the manual supra/z4/mustang and similar still hard to find and dealers fighting hard to get more allocated. But don't spend the money you worked so hard for just to virtue signal. If you're going to buy anything new, go through with the supra. This is dangerous advice, but maybe test drive it and see how you feel. Some advice I picked up from I don't remember where and have applied to women for many years I think fits here:
          >If there's someone you can live without, do so.

I don't agree with this advice. The gr86 wasn't OP's dream car that he wanted for literally years, and spending good money on it won't satisfy OP's need (egotistical or otherwise) for long. If you just need a car, go buy some used shitbox for as cheap as still gets what you consider reasonably safe/comfy/fun/reliable. If you're going to spend serious money on a brand new car it should be everything you want now and anytime you think you'll want in the near future.
          Final note: don't take investment advice from neets on a basket weaving enthusiast Internet site.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i have a 2019 mazda6, it's been paid off for 2 years now. i just don't like the idea of spending money that i could spend on something smarter i guess. it's an emotional decision and all of the finance youtubers i watch tell me to never buy a new car, etc. i thought i learned that lesson with my mazda6, but here i am, 5 years later.

i've test driven 2 supras, an auto and a manual. both are awesome, the stick was incredible. i thought it was a blast. i just feel like almost guilty for spending money on something like this when i could just buy a $10k miata again or something to scratch that itch of a second "fun" car. although it's not something i've been working hard and putting away as my "supra fund" basically the past 2 years.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wanted to write a long post about your situation but it got deleted by my browser so I'll just say that you're just memeing yourself into wanting the supra just like every other normalgay who buys a new car every 5 years
            Just don't get one
            Or do, maybe you'll end up selling it to one of us in 5 years at a huge loss after you inevitably get tired of it

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>money that i could spend on something smarter i guess
            Like what? What do you really NEED money for? Money starts losing its value very quickly when you have lots of it, might as well spend some. I have a big number (relatively) in my bank account. It brings me no joy.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

try renting one for a week or so and see what it's like to drive every day where you live. you want that honeymoon phase to wear off a bit. if it's still fun to drive then you can really consider getting one.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I financed my wrx at 1.9%
        not really a sports car but 6 speed manual, low ground clearance, premium gas required, poor MPG and a harsh ride if you're into that.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That's perfectly normal when you understand the value of money. When you work hard for something (money), you start to have second thoughts about parting with it so suddenly, especially given when its the most important asset in the world. That's almost 2 years of hard work (in your case) that you're going to part with in a matter of 30 minutes of signing papers. This is the curse of being a poorgay wageslave. But we only exist to work to put food on our table while making the rich richer so they can buy new cars without even thinking about it. You can also thank the boomers and israelites for fricking over the economy so hard. Ridiculous how we have to spend 10+ years of saving and pinching every penny or make the correct gamble with stocks to even think about getting a house, or even a nice car. Hope this answers your question.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Feels badman.
      I took the reincarnation pill to cope. Maybe in one of my others lives, I will get to have the experience of being rich and having a fun car, but for this life, my higher self is telling me to focus on something else.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I was in the same boat in 2021. Had $50k sitting in the bank, wanted a new truck. Ended up hating the process enough to spend it on more investments and going back to college in the field I'm currently in. Try to have other options like I did and weigh what really matters. Is that 60k supra going to be parked outside near minorities? Is that 60k supra the thing you need most in life? I'm not saying don't get it, but make sure you really need it vs just in love with the idea of it like I was

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You're experience a fraction of what it's like to actually have some money. I'm not saying wealthy or even well off. Just having enough to not stress about rent, losing your job or bad shit happening. Let it build and soon you'll have enough security and peace of mind that you'll be able to speak your mind freely because you don't depend shit on anyone, stick to your own principles and values at work because losing a job isn't a fear you no longer have, and have the time to pursue things that actually give you joy because you're not wasting time "grinding" and "hustling" for minimal returns. You'll realize spending big money on luxury and sport cars are the lifestyle of lower middle class apartment dwellers. When you can buy a new 911 or M3 cash, you no longer have the desire to actually buy one because you realize how utterly wasteful and low life behavior that is, and the knowledge that you CAN is a greater satisfaction.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>financing a depreciating asset, one so née it loses 70% of its value in 6 years
    Don't be stupid op.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Look dude, I felt the same way when I picked up my scat pack. Then I realized these cars are just going to be obsolete in a few years because of regulations and demographics, might as well enjoy it and live life .

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>obsolete
      try outlawed
      you need to get your fun driving in now because in 10 years it's all going to be electric ai controlled curfewed bullshit

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *