Seems pointless

What actually is the return on investment with brands spending money to build race cars and race them in competitions?
The average buyer doesn't give a shit about who wins these races, and the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy.
Should they just stop this pointless waste of money?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>The average buyer doesn't give a shit about who wins these races, and the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy.
    Really? This ad was brought up in a marketing class while I was in business school. People definitely do care and some of that technology does filter down eventually. Hell the newest 911 GT3 just got a production DRS and airbrake system.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>DRS and airbrake
      ...ok so a movable flap. Youve never touched a wrench have you

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's a little more complicated than that and if you are trying to argue that DRS did not come from motorsport then I'm guessing you're about 60 IQ.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>if you are trying to argue that DRS did not come from motorsport
          it's a movable flap you stupid ass ricer jfc

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just as I predicted, you are so dumb you failed to follow the conversation. I'll spell it out for you.
            >the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy
            Yes they do, as evidenced by the DRS system on the latest GT3 RS, McLaren P1 and McLaren Senna, which is a technology directly ripped from F1
            >uhh hurr THAT'S JUST A FLAP
            have a nice day.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>OMG MY MOTORSPORTS FLAP THAT DOESNT DO SHIT
            fricking ricer

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>DRS doesn't do shit
            Maybe I was too generous with my 60 IQ guess.

• 3 weeks ago
            kill LED lovers

you got no tools and have never touched a wrench

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>reducing downforce has on impact on performance

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>if you are trying to argue that DRS did not come from motorsport
            it's a movable flap you stupid ass ricer jfc

>DRS and airbrake
            ...ok so a movable flap. Youve never touched a wrench have you

this board sucks

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/4jdGw7r.jpeg

>The average buyer doesn't give a shit about who wins these races, and the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy.
        Really? This ad was brought up in a marketing class while I was in business school. People definitely do care and some of that technology does filter down eventually. Hell the newest 911 GT3 just got a production DRS and airbrake system.

Audi RS and Porsche Panamera have had that for a while but OP is wrong. The average homosexual doesn’t care but the average IMSA fan is an upper middle class white man with money to spend and they absolutely care if a brand is participating. And they are also the people in their social circle that share opinions on cars so their views trickle down.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

its funny because Porsche would be going bankrupt into the 90s as sales of each generation of 911 went down and down. clearly dumping money into motorsports doesn't do much for your brand's sales.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

porsche's brand is valuable because of motorsports and the fact their brand is so valuable is what lets them make bank selling rebadged audi crossovers with 911 headlights slapped on

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I don't think karens and nogs who buy Porsche care about motorsports. they could quite all motorsports tomorrow and it wouldn't affect their sales because the average buyer wouldn't notice, just like they didn't notice or care when their sales were declining and they were facing bankruptcy in the early 90s.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Porsche is prestigious bc of its racing heritage making the brand appear fast and sporty. In reality its low powered McDonald strut mobiles but every regard in this board things a 911 is fast by virtue of its badge. Reality is that a $130k 911 has the same power and suspension set up as a 340i. This is all powered by racing.

BMW basically had dropped all Motorsport for a while and they do ok but it’s the 80s ///M stuff that makes the //M badge cool.

It’s mandatory imo to have some racing heritage with the brand. Even Honda gays think that senna makes their type R a race car.

It’s not affecting sales but it is. A huge part of branding and that drives sales big time.

Porsche would exist past 1998 if they didn’t race cars for teenagers through the 70s and 80s. Audi would be dead as well if they didn’t rebrand as an AWD rally brand.
            Winning over enthusiasts who like racing leads to them liking the brand and then that brand becomes cool for Normies and then minorities. BMW perfect example of a normie brand right now. Used to be enthusiasts buying them now every coffee wife has one because they’re nice and sporty. BMW has softened them up so much to appeal to the mass market too they the purists aren’t really liking the Brand as much. But it’s 2024 and there isn’t much competition anymore either.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

pure delusion. the only reason porsche and Audi exist is because they started selling SUVs. no one cares about motorsports. it hasn't mattered since the 60s, and even then, it only worked for a few cars.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Really? Why would someone pay extra money for dynamic mode and a differential and paint that isn’t black or white and a clock instead of buying the Audi for less which is the same vehicle with better awd and more options standard?
            Why pay $80k for a Cayenne when a Tiguan is the same thing for $49?

Do you think…do you think it might be the brand has prestige or something?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

nta but damn you're a NPC, holy frick

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah because you were born approximately 100 years ago. No one today gives a shit about those types of advertisements. And I doubt people cared during your time as well.
      >technology does filter down eventually
      Interesting. Not sure how much though. Highly specialized drivetrains for racing.
      Obviously PERFORMANCE matters. But how well you do in MOTORSPORTS does not matter.
      Why not invest all that money into just building better cars for the average person?
      They lose money on certain models, so they should cancel manual trans, big engines, coupes, etc. but they spend so much on motorsports.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>some of that technology does filter down eventually.

The "some" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. A lot of race technology that "filters down" is usually proven in concept in other industries (usually aerospace and, back then, locomotive). Anything that does make it to streetcars is universally some bastardized version that is similar in principle, but works differently because it had to be adapted to the demands of an end consumer product.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It also assumes that the main limitation for what tech can get into the average consumer is how much R&D we can do -- how advanced the technology can be.
        Technology that we can theoretically put in cars FAR exceeds what we can actually put.
        Racecars from 30 years ago put modern consumer vehicles to shame.
        The main limiting factors are emissions and cost. Both of which race cars don't think about when designing their technologies.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Should they just stop this pointless waste of money?
    Yea pretty much, the thing that kills it for me is that they're all automatic and the request to pass bullshit

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I started caring about cadillac again once I learned they were making hypercars to race in.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The CT5 blackwing, a PRODUCTION CAR for the AVERAGE PERSON made me interested in cadillac again.
      NOT their motorsports.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ask that from Redbull.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>MY FLAP
    >MY WOKAK
    dumbass fricking ricer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Were you able to dress yourself this morning or did your caretaker help you?

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>car and driver
    ricer, no tools

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Just hide the thread next time champ, it'll be less humiliating for you.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>gay flap moves 2"
    >OMG WOW ITS JUST LIKE FORMALA 1 TECKNOLOGY!!!
    ricer

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You're really convincing me. Maybe if you just keep doubling down you'll convince everyone else.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No tools, and you're a ricer.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ferrari and McLaren started as racing teams and Porsche started racing in 1948. Those brands have motorsport in their DNA. But Cadillac? Who gives a shit? Lamborghini agreed with you that it was a waste of money and they've steered clear for the most part.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Forget cadillac, at least its a "luxury brand" so they need some sort of performance
      Why the frick does toyota compete in nascar? What are they possibly gaining out of making a "camry" racecar (not actually a camry since its not a stock car)

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Why the frick does toyota compete in nascar?
        Marketing, dummy. NASCAR has been the single biggest form of motorsport on the continent for decades now. Plus back when they first started into NASCAR series, they were expanding a lot of assembly plants in the US which helped socially win over a lot of apprehensive and xenophobic boomers that thought that Toyota was just another Jap brand that their pappy fought against in WW'Nam.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What actually is the return on investment with brands spending money to build race cars and race them in competitions?
    Marketing.

>The average buyer doesn't give a shit about who wins these races
    Correct. But there are plenty of race fans that do. If they win, all the better.

> and the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy.
    True for the most part. But most of them don't care. They're just in it to watch the racing even if they know that the manufacturers built the cars (or funded the building of them) with no intention of it coming to the street cars. It's about racing tech, not streetcar tech. The manufacturers get the exposure in return. Participating in a race is often cheaper than buying media ads when you factor in TV exposure and journalists reporting through their own outlets.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2024/motorsport/porsche-turbo-technology-24-hours-le-mans-36469.html

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another reason manufacturers like to race is to have exciting projects in development for team building within the company.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Thinking OEM company staff actually design and run race teams

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

"Race on Sunday, sell on Monday"

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

racing on all levels besides the very top is pay to play
    i think at some point it does legitimize the street shartboxes like the hyundai tcrs

cadillac? acura? no fricking clue

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>i think at some point it does legitimize the street shartboxes like the hyundai
      dumbass

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

theyre obviously completely different but the dumbass normie consumer is easily swayed to buy the pops and bangs bugmobile

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

cadillac doesnt make pops and bangs bugmobiles for people who know nothing about cars they make crossovers for 85 year olds so im not sure what the strategy is there

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>normie consumer is easily swayed to buy the pops and bangs bugmobile
          pilled

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>i think at some point it does legitimize the street shartboxes

Absolute moron take.

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>the cars themselves don't really share technology with what consumers can buy
    good joke

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

what do they share?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

off the top of my head, i can thank motorsports r&d funding that we can now enjoy: aero design, active suspension, independent suspension, carbon brakes, DOHC engines, carbon fiber, aluminum, hybrid powertrains, KERS, turbochargers, fuel injection, ABS, traction control, and launch control in modern cars
        probably a lot more but i cannot be arsed to think of them

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

what have the romans ever done for us?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>aero design
          every modern car looks like a bloated egg
          >active suspension
          Electronically adjustable dampers were around since the 80s, ford probes used to have them
          >Independent suspension
          This was around before the 80s
          >carbon brakes
          Suck for street use
          >DOHC engines
          70s tech
          >carbon fiber
          barely any street cars utilize carbon fiber for the chassis, it's always some appearance package like a good or a rooof
          >aluminum
          60s tech
          >hybrid powertrains
          Ok
          >KERS
          What car has real kers?
          >Turbochargers
          80s
          >fuel injection
          70s
          >ABS
          80s
          >traction control
          80s
          >Launch control
          80s

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

are you stupid or what? what year a technology came out doesn't negate the fact that motorsports engineering pioneered it

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>engineering pioneered it
            bro 90% of your list is over 40 years old. Just goes to show you theres no poin in watching modern racnig, none of the shit they actually use will EVER make it to the street.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>none of the shit they actually use will EVER make it to the street.
            nearly every technology in modern cars was used in motorsports first. why do you suddenly think this no longer applies? why are you so fricking stupid?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

fast forward to 2064 after all the unobtanium tech becomes common use and morons just like you say "errm, carbon monocoques are over 40 years old. theres no point in watching modern racnig, none of the shit they actually use will EVER make it to the street."
            i could say the 992.2 GTS' electric turbo tech comes from Porsche's motorsports science and you'd cry about something else

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>fast forward to 2064 after all the unobtanium tech becomes common use
            keep dreaming lol so fricking stupid, you have no tools btw

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>just 40 more years!!!!

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Holy shit you are moronic.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>>aero design
            >every modern car looks like a bloated egg
            yeah, because aerodynamics determine the shape, with the few exceptions being for road regulations and packaging mechanisms in the machine.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>aero design,
          > carbon brakes
          > carbon fiber
          >aluminum
          >turbochargers
          Originated from the aerospace industry.

>hybrid powertrains
          Originated from the locomotive industry.

>active suspension
          >independent suspension
          > DOHC engines
          >ABS
          >traction control
          >launch control
          Originated from roadcars, not racecars

>fuel injection
          Originated from stationary engines, but then applied to aerospace depending on who you ask.

> KERS
          Literally the only thing you listed that's actually developed from motorsport, but it's application to roadcars is virtually nonexistent.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Originated from the aerospace industry.
            but adapted to cars by racing teams

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what a bunch of cope
            many auto manufacturers were also aircraft manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, BMW, Subaru, Mitsubishi and Fiat. The Saturn V that took Apollo flights to the moon? That was a motherfricking Chrysler.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

of course it was, no other manufacturer could build a vehicle that falls apart on it's first trip

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>many auto manufacturers were also aircraft manufacturers
            Manufacturing for aerospace and manufacturing for automotive are two separate industries and disciplines. This does not mean that what they built for aerospace was derived from from automotive technology, race or road. Cope more.

>The Saturn V that took Apollo flights to the moon? That was a motherfricking Chrysler.
            Holy shit, there's a lot to unpack with that one. First, Chrysler built the first stage boosters for the Saturn I and Saturn IB which were orbital and suborbital missions. None of those missions went to the moon. The only relation that the Chrysler Space Division had with the Saturn V was when they were a subcontractor for the modifying the Mobile Launch Platform to use Saturn IB with Saturn V infrastructure. The Chrysler Space Division weren't involved in any missions that used Saturn V and certainly not any of the lunar missions. No piece of Chrysler technology ever touched the moon. That's GM territory.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That’s actually GE (General Electric) territory but this thread is already so fricking moronic I’m not going to detail how you’re wrong

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>That’s actually GE (General Electric) territory
            GE isn't an automaker. Nobody cares what you have to say.

>but this thread is already so fricking moronic I’m not going to detail how you’re wrong
            THANK GOD

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

DOHC and independent suspension predate motorsport, and it seems kind of strange to claim that basically all structural materials other than steel and due to racing. You think if motorsport never existed, no one would ever have thought to cast an engine block or transmission case out of aluminum? Turbochargers and fuel injection are aircraft technology, not racing technology. Aero design was a big deal in the 30s and 40s and didn't have much to do with racing. It wasn't until the 80s that aero became uncool because of fuel misering and needed racing to rehabilitate it in the 2010s.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

race teams should aim to float themselves with their sponsorship deals
    and sponsors have a lot to gain from the top level, brands like martini and marlboro will be remembered and associated with winning for a very long time
    idk what 555 does but i remember them
    manufacturer teams will have a decent long term brand building effect, while le ebin trickle down for racing tech probably isnt very strong, the moron in the street looking to lease or finance a golf club carrier would like to point at a "reputable" or "prestigious" badge
    the quattro name, the M badge, even gazoo racing shitboxes hint at motorsport, and let manufacturers charge more per unit

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

555 makes OEM Jap parts

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

that's not the 555 that sponsored racecars
        just goes to show that advertising is a junk reason to get into racing
        every gt endurance race fan has seen the blancpain logo plastered everywhere, but who actually knows what blancpain sells?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>who actually knows what blancpain sells?
          Watches? I admit that I'm not totally certain.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Audi became a major brand after selling cars with Quatro from their rally wins Peugot and Citroen had sales boost after their Saxo and 306 wins. You only know what an Impreza is because of the WRC model

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>exactly 1 minute apart
    not fooling anyone

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>OMG YOU MUST BE TRYING TO HIDE THINGS IVE SEEEN THIS TACTIC BEFORE I WONT FALL FOR IT OKAYYY!!!~!
    lol stupid ass shook brainlet

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Motorsport is responsible for all the great tech that trickles down into regular cars. Better brakes and tires, traction control, more powerful engines, safety, etc...

OP's post is totally tone deaf and moronic. Motorsport definitely has a purpose and relevance.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

he must think that the sponsor decals are there to make the car look pretty

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>what the frick am i feeding and schooling my kids for? they're not paying any rent!

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this is how it's always gone. normal technology in cars now was always cutting edge 10 or 20 years before it became widely adopted. Mercedes in particular has always been a good indicator of this trend.

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This spec built hypercar with a Acura sticker on it that has more in common with a fighter jet than a car winning gay ask-to-pass race isn't gonna make me want to buy an Integra or the tl since theyre both fwd

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

do the manufacturers even build these cars? or do they just have ligier design/build them?

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Its also a way to attract quality engineers that dont want to work on everyday shitboxes 24/7.

24. 3 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

if you had tens of millions of dollars and you didnt have race teams then you're a gay and you should die.

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday. it was a huge deal in the early years of racing.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *