Serious question for the poor souls living in EU countries

Is being into cars really that horrible over there? Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric (entering cities, insurance and registration related shit)? Are older cars (pre 2000) phased out of existence? Or is this all just an issue in bigger cities

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Almost all of that depends on the actual country you live in. In my case there's a few city centers that don't allow in older cars (mainly diesels) and electric cars do get major tax breaks, but those are slowly getting phased out.
    Registration is a one time thing, road tax is quarterly and based on vehicle weight and fuel type, inspections are yearly but purely focus on things like lighting and vehicle condition, and insurance is pretty reasonable (especially if you've been driving for over 5 years).

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

An old diesel with historic plates is the cheapest form of transportation around here.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

We in Poland don't have car taxes yet.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Good. Lobby to keep things that way.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric
      vide
      but most cities will charge you anywhere between $0.10 to $2 per hour for parking
      keeping in mind people here make (on average) $800 a month, that's enough discouragement to own a car living in Polish cities

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It really depends on the specific country, variation is huge.

We do have 23% VAT and additional 3.1% for engines less then 2L / 18.6% over 2L. Which is moronic but nowhere near as bad as France or the Netherlands.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

These are import taxes.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> Is being into cars really that horrible over there?
    Depends what cars you’re into. And if you want to live inside a big city centre.

> Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric (entering cities, insurance and registration related shit)?
    We pay car tax which is for example €8k for a BMW 330i. EVs are exempt, and for normal EVs like the model 3 you get €3k in subsidies. So the €11k difference make them about the same price after tax. If you want an F150 or some v8 car you’ll pay much more tax but hardly anyone drives them here, it was like that before EVs.

> Are older cars (pre 2000) phased out of existence?
    Not actively

> Or is this all just an issue in bigger cities
    I’m in the Netherlands, there are maybe 10-15 cities that have zones, most are Euro 4+ for cars. But they’re really the inner parts of the city centre and most people live on the outskirts anyway, maybe 1% of people lives inside a green zone. And for example the M3 E46 and the 2005 Jimny are Euro 4 cars.

All in all 6/10 things are bad but not very bad. I live rurally anyway and and have never been bothered by it.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

A Peugeot 3008 costs 40k €

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

As a swede you are relatively spared from a lot of the EU BS. You still get taxed hard for emissions but we ont have special zoning, just a flat toll on some roads no matter what you drive (except motorbikes). Also our "right" goverment has lowered fuel prices a bit too, which is nice. But on the other hand its good that its expensive too because it keeps the brownies off the road

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

> Its good that it expensive
      För i helvete tänk på oss som åker gammal sju färs som drar liter milen

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

there are massive differences between different countries
    talking about eu as a single entity is stupid

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Dutchman here
    >Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric
    >entering cities
    Not really. There's a small handful of ultra low emission zones that I can't enter but my car is old enough that it gets the classic car exemption in the regular low emission zones.
    >insurance
    Insurance is no higher for older cars. They just look at how many insurance claims someone with your car at your age with your amount of driving experience typically makes and base their calculations on that. I pay about 70 bucks a month now that I'm 22, when I was 18 it was almost 150. My dad would pay 40 bucks for the same car.
    >registration related shit
    Road tax here is based on vehicle weight and emissions. It weighs frick all and according to the paperwork it has a catalytic coverter(teehee) so it's REALLY low. In most EU countries they look at engine displacement instead of vehicle weight. Makes no sense to me because weight makes a much bigger difference to how much you're contributing to road wear than engine displacement. EVs are currently exempt from road tax but that's being phased out and they're gonna pay out the ASS because those b***hes are pigfat lmao. Zero sympathy.
    >Are older cars (pre 2000) phased out of existence?
    There's something of an event horizon around the 25 year mark where cars fail their annual inspection, typically due to rust, where it becomes cheaper to buy another used car than to repair the one you have. And then they all end up on the wreckers. But they're not being phased out and you can drive them all you like as long as they make it through inspection. Once they pass 30 years the inspection is only once every 2 years.
    >Or is this all just an issue in bigger cities
    I wouldn't know I avoid them like the plague as any same human being should

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Is being into cars really that horrible over there?
      no way. car communities are big, depending on a country race tracks can be dirt cheap, depending on a country car modification laws can be extremely lenient, all in all, I'd say it's closer to being great than horrible
      >Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric (entering cities, insurance and registration related shit)?
      kek, no. I'm living in NL and it's amazing here, as anon said road tax is calculated from car's weight so country actively rewards you for using lightweight funboxes. I've got MR2 and my road tax is tiny because it's below 1000kg. Though I imagine US person would be weirded out with how car-unfriendly some of big cities are, some places are actively designed so you leave your car on a huge parking on the outskirts and then walk into city center on foot.
      absolutely not. hell, NL gives you road tax exemption if your car is older than 40 years, you can see lots of people using old cars for daily and it's really nice to see those running around

you have a very warped perception of what europe is. then again, can't blame you, I bet my perception of US is warped too

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Not the anon youre replying to but As always dutchies prove to be some of the most enjoyable comfy people on earth to talk to. Oh to visit Nederland and drink coffee in breda one day

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>NL gives you road tax exemption if your car is older than 40 years
        god i wish they had that here. and not just historic rego too. just regular rego that gets discounted if your car is old enough, full stop. how good would it be to see more and more old shitboxes or clean classics rolling around...

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Mogool, we worden fricking hard belast met voertuigenbelasting vergeleken met duitsland of België.

This Black person is moronic, car tax is based on weight so if you have anything 1200kg+ you're eating 200+ euro per 3 months.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

You are right,

I paid 200 euro a month for a low class diesel truck from 1987. frick the netherlands. LGBQ gay country

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'll register my Hilux next year on historic plates, frick EU israelite.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>if you have anything 1200kg+ you're eating 200+ euro per 3 months.
        That sounds fricking based though.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>koop een lichte auto
        >probleem opgelost
        >plus je hebt een lichte auto
        kankerbased

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>t. Croatian
    Not at all, this is the land where German diesels go to die. The registration for my 1999 Opel Astra was laughably low, to the tune of $200. You do pay extra for gas guzzlers, but nothing crazy.

Electric/hybrid/natural gas subsidies exist, they changed it from the first-come-first-served model to people actually putting their money where their mouth is with a downpayment, I think that's better.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

non-eu european here
    we get taxed on engine volume, doubling for everything over 2 liters
    on the brighter side you can still buy a shitbox for 400 euros

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I live in slav part and was into 4x4s and yeah, the moment EU bureaucracy came here every yearly MOT became harder and harder to pass, any kind of mods have to be certified which is gigantic waste of money and time. I even have to pay pollution tax for my old diesel.
    Even basic shit which is not connected directly to car laws like ordering offroad parts from US and Australia has became prohibitively expensive since you're slapped with insane import taxes on both the price of the parts and price of the shipping. Before EU most of the imported stuff was never even taxed.
    Hope EU crumbles and dies, I hate it so much.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Finn here, insurance is like 120 bucks a year, tax is about 500 because HEAVY VEHICLE DAMAGES THE ROADS THAT WE DON'T FIX ANYWAY.
    I have a 5 litre V12 as my summer car, displacement is not an issue

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no
    >Do you get taxed out the ass for not driving electric (entering cities, insurance and registration related shit)?
    no
    no. plenty of 90s shitboxes are still roaming around.
    >Or is this all just an issue in bigger cities
    no and when it becomes an issue for city Black folk it wont be an issue for me because city Black folk arent people and im moving away the first chance i get. i also have a car registered as a historic vehicle so they can suck my dick. pic very related.

and in general - differences between countries in the eu are so big youre much better off asking about specific countries.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>differences between countries
      Even inside the country. Here where i live is wild west. No city Black folk even in ''cities''.
      Inspection is a joke XD. My chevy pass it without half of lights and oil leaks...because WOW what a cool old chevy.
      My friend have drift build bmw, swaped, body kits, straight pipe ect and he registered it as classic. No more inspection and police can suck his dick.
      I cut off all cats in my daily, no problem at inspection.
      Only pain in that you can't part out old cars and deregister them and they plan put tax on old cars in 2026...
      Ładne 3 gne F body, pluje se w ryj, że przespałem moment kiedy były one w dołku.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>pluje se w ryj, że przespałem moment kiedy były one w dołku
        jak nadal chcesz to patrz na grupy. w zeszłym roku były za 40k a w tym tygodniu już widziałem wystawiane za ~30k. podejrzewam że nawet taniej mogą być za jakiś czas.
        swojego kupiłem i tak za granicą bo od polaczyn to strach kupować cokolwiek

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>polaczyn to strach kupować cokolwiek
          no, wiem. Da sie u nas ciekawe rzeczy tanio dostać tylko trzeba sie znać. Ogólnie mam wrażenie że rynek po woli sie uspokaja, powoli.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Why are you too afraid to buy from fellow poles? It is my understanding that Poles and Hungarians and Czechs are the most civilized of slavs , compared to eastern slavs, Balkans, baltic states.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>It is my understanding that Poles and Hungarians and Czechs are the most civilized of slavs
            absolutely and i would never buy a car from a russian or ukrainian but fact of the matter is depending on what youre looking for you still have to assume the guy will try to swindle you.

I'm well aware. The Import tax was the one I referred to as being 140% on top op the cars price. It used to be 180%. As an example - My parents bought in 2020 a 2019 Mercedes E220d with 25.000km on it from Germany. The price was 36.000$(33.000€) for just the car. On top of that they paid 41.000$(37.000€) in import tax. That was including all the small loop holes, like getting the car valued as in good/decent condition instead of perfect etc.

>The price was 36.000$(33.000€) for just the car. On top of that they paid 41.000$(37.000€) in import tax
            >mfw
            so your parents had to pay €67k? am i getting this right?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

70.000€

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

and morons here claim they have it bad

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

yeah it's grim. Paying 70k for a 2 liter diesel when eastern european teenagers buy them for 2k

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>My chevy pass it without half of lights and oil leaks...because WOW what a cool old chevy.
        jaki region wariacie? w mazowieckiem to zaraz jebną min. wiek dla klasyków na 50 lat i 99% oryginalnych części

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Car! 32.000 monies, 50 monies per month
    >Car (in Austria)! 57.000 monies, 250 monies per month

I suffer.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Bulgaria
    It's the wild west

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The benefits of owning and driving EVs are being removed nowadays little by little since a lot of new car sales are non-ICE, and they need to compensate for the money lost in that gap. It was never about climate or the environment. EVs should pay more in taxes and insurance if anything for road damages and more accidents (women with a 0-60 in 3 second 5000 lbs death SUV).

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

ONLY reason anyone cares about EVs is because of government subsidies that sometimes make them cheaper than ICE in the same category.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There's some emissions frickery, but not really. If you have an SUV and live in Paris you could be getting fricked soon, though.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Better than america for sure lot on non toll roads, wide selection of cars, no import laws, best roads in the world, autobahns, rally culture, cops dont shoot you so even street racing is better than anywhere else (stockholm open). Yes it has downsides too but what a stupid question since its best place in the world to be into cars beside america, australia and japan.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Could add also diesel cars that are pretty unique part of european car culture, OM606 super turbos example and all cars comes with diesel option.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It sucks if you are poor. Which most people are.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>germangay
    I pay 184€ in road tax and ~600€ for insurance
    >bmw e36 from 1998

Inspections are a b***h, you cant just bolt on any mod you want. You need to pay attention that the parts you buy are certified for your model.
    >parts are more expensive because they need to be tested
    >its very rare to buy parts that got tested and will fail instantly like cheap chinesium wheels snapping on the next speed bump
    >bonus: the rules also apply to others, we dont have crazy stancegays, straight pipe hondas and bro trucks

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It is really bad. I moved to Yuroop from the US a couple years ago and three of my previous cars had V8 engines.
    Here, I can afford only a rusty Mercedes A150 and wishing to save up for a totalled car from the US, which I can bring here. After transportation, countless fees, customs, and repair bills it's still going to be 20-30% cheaper than buying a similar car here.

Not even gonna mention the gas prices

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

UK here
    It's okay
    Easy jap imports
    Low Emission Zone bullshit limited to some city centres but the frickers in charge will probably try to extend it
    Prices of new cars are absolutely fricking shocking these days, of anything really.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Krijg balkanker en sterf, kankernederlanders en kankervlamingen

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Germangay here. My Japanese ecobox costs €28 for taxes and €250 for insurance per year.

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No, but stupid Finnish boomers fell for good ol' cash-for-clunckers couple of years ago and sub-1000 Eurobucks shitboxes are almost impossible to find.

Oh, and there's CO2-based registration tax which makes importing even older nice stuff so fricking expensive.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That only applies to new cars. Old cars still go by weight

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Italy
    >have to pay at minimum 300€ in tax just for buying a used car.
    >Annual tax based on hp/kw with an additional tax for 250+ hp cars i think
    Also many big cities have non transit zones for high emissions cars

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Annual tax based on hp/kw with an additional tax for 250+ hp cars i think
      I wonder if the Russians copied that too along with the Lada designs. It's literally the same.

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

In Denmark we really get molested by taxes.
    This 1998 little french shitbox(blue one) costs me 872$ a year just in road tax. Had it been from 1997 it would have costed me about half.
    My daily is a Citroen DS3 BlueHDI(white one), with Addblue, DPF and all the anti pollution stuff, that does 24-26'ish km/l cost me about 400$ a year on road tax. If you fancy buying a brand new car, you just add about 140%(depending on engine, extras etc) of the cars price on top.
    Oh did I mention if you tamper WHAT SO EVER with the Engine, ECU or the car it self, without having Tüv(Merkblat) papers on said parts or changes, the police can impound the car by simply having a suspicion about it being tampered with. The car will then be driven to dealer of said brand you drive, and they'll check for parts etc that's been changed. The ECU will be checked by another company(That ironically used to do ECU remaps). If anything is found, you have two choices. Pay for all the expenses and bring the car back to original or scrap it. Which is why the Black Seat Leon is just sitting in the background, since I don't know what to do with it, I have a completely build Engine(2.0 TFSI) for it just chilling on a engine stand.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Sounds pretty similar to Norway, if not slightly worse with the impound shit. Police are pushing for the same here, using your c**t as an example of it working.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You're missing the most significant tax. Try and compare what your cars would have cost you almost literally anywhere else. The import/registration tax is the one that actually makes car ownership in Denmark suck ass if you don't want an Aygo or a similar garbage shitbox.

Other than that yeah, I get charged about the same in yearly road tax for my RX-8 as it would cost to buy a shitty one in a country with reasonable car prices like the UK

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I'm well aware. The Import tax was the one I referred to as being 140% on top op the cars price. It used to be 180%. As an example - My parents bought in 2020 a 2019 Mercedes E220d with 25.000km on it from Germany. The price was 36.000$(33.000€) for just the car. On top of that they paid 41.000$(37.000€) in import tax. That was including all the small loop holes, like getting the car valued as in good/decent condition instead of perfect etc.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Oh and also - The fuel prices are nuts. A gallon of the cheapest petrol(95 Octane) costs 8,14$.
          Diesel is 7,27$.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So, nothing,especially the diesel

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I hate communists so bad

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

that has nothing to do with communism

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Correlating cars with bad weather is classic communist propaganda.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Is being into cars really that horrible over there?
      The UK is probably one of the best countries to be a car enthusiast. Prices are very reasonable, other related costs are reasonable, a very large enthusiast community with lots of experts and lots of aprts.
      I pay about £290 a year in Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax)
      Insurance is around £700 for fully comprehensive insurance on my MX-5 NC
      >Are older cars (pre 2000) phased out of existence? Or is this all just an issue in bigger cities
      Sort of but not really. If you're driving a clapped out 20 year old diesel, you get charged a couple of quid a day in some cities.

>My daily is a Citroen DS3 BlueHDI(white one), with Addblue, DPF and all the anti pollution stuff, that does 24-26'ish km/l cost me about 400$ a year on road tax
      what the frick
      i had a Peugeot 208 and it was £0 rated because of the low emissions

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>The UK is probably one of the best countries to be a car enthusiast. Prices are very reasonable, other related costs are reasonable
        How much for V8s, old and new? Both European and imported.

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

UK is non EU now but...
    pretty good I think

there's reductions in VED for electrics (being phased out next year). grants to buy them are already phased out so electrics aren't really favoured.

London has a congestion charge, this also applies to electrics.
    London also has the ULEZ, which now covers all of London inside the M25. there's a charge of £12.50 a day (if you don't pay it, you get fined) to enter it with petrol cars below Euro 4 efficiency (generally anything older than 25 years old) or diesels below Euro 6 (older than roughly 2017). old diesels are basically worthless now.
    electric or not has no effect on insurance.

VED is calculated differently depending on year of car but essentially 20th century cars are taxed on displacement, 21st century up to 2017 are taxed on co2 emissions and post 2017 cars are taxed at a fixed rate for each car, but with a big first year payment based on emissions.

a pre 2017 370z will cost around £750 a year in tax due to the high emissions, whereas you'll just pay the yearly £185 every driver pays with a 2017 model, so in some ways this actually favours enthusiasts.

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Being into anything is horrible over here.
    You get fricked by tons of moronic regulations made by a rootless international clique in Brussels everywhere you go. From building your house to getting a car or buying a gun.
    We make like €12-15k/year on average and petrol costs €1.6/l.
    Most of the money you earn is spent on: taxes (60% +20% of everything you buy), food and rent/mortgage.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Most of the money you earn is spent on: taxes (60% +20% of everything you buy), food and rent/mortgage.
      It's by design, no nice things and wealth accumulation for mere mortals.

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

finn here
    we still got a "temporary" car tax that has been since 1966
    tax on my shitbox is 250 or something a year and insurance is 80 something euros per every 2 months
    older cars are better regarding laws and taxes but boomers junked so much of them so they are rare now
    i hate boomers so much it's unreal

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

so many volvos, saabs and toyotas gone, like tears in the rain

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I don't feel like a poor soul. There's no car tax in my country and insurance is like 120 euros a year.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

where

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Lithuania

32. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

better than in third world countries but more regulations compared to america still could be lot worse. Rallying is also big thing here

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *