Should I attempt this?

these were what rockauto had for my car, next to the old springs. they are lesjofores. I had a set of quickstruts on this old/new car I bought which I never even rode on. The springs on it also have more overall number of coils and I couldnt even compress them far enough to remove them.
'
Anyone have any experience with new coil springs that are longer like this, how did they ride? the longer portion of the springs is the smae as the old one but they have the smaller variable spring part added to it, which is more spring overall. Seems it would be a very stiff ride. But ive never used anything like this or know what its like. Anyone with any experience here or suggestions about it?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

All I can say is generally the tighter the coil wind and the thicker the coil(gauge) the stiffer the spring is. I would just install and go, see how it is.
    A progressive spring like this should have okay initial bump compliance and stiffen up as you get deeper into the travel.

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Hope you're ride height isn't jacked up too much.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

height with no weight on it doesn't tell you much, since a softer spring will compress more.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

the spring don't really feel any softer tho. i think the diameter of the coils are th same and everything so i wouldnt expect a different grade of material for a weaker compression, not really.

Hope you're ride height isn't jacked up too much.

so here the one with more coils on it how the front sat with those on it. cant show any comparison i dont think i have a picture. but its just a 92 corolla (sw)

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

btw, stock coils are 5 1/4 coils, the monroes taht were on this corolla when I got it were 6 1/2 and these lesjoforges or wtv are 7 1/2

rears were newer springs as well and struts. same # of coils so i went with the ones off the rear which wer ealso monroe
        >i didnt notice all the strutswere repalced before I did this. but anyway frick monroe, scotty said so.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ride height is going to be ~800lbs on a corner. You're not going to "feel" the difference between 700 and 800lbs unless you're a very hefty boy.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

looks fine.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Does ANYBODY tho have ANY experience with something like this? seems like it would be too stiff and change the drivability so much as to make it run like not any shocks at all.

It is nearly 3 inches taller. putting my weight on them they compress about the same as the stock ones, just they are 3 INCHES higher.

its almost like adding a 3 inch spacer to oem shocks or something. variable spring rate or not this is going to jut the car up and it still has to compress to the same space as the oem to put it on the strut.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If they're compressing the same it's no stiffer, just taller. Your ride height will be raised and you'll lose some downward suspension travel.

If you want to test it, jack the car up, ratchet strap the spring to the bottom of the wheel, and then lower the corner down onto it.

You're probably not putting all of your weight on it and you're not going to be able to see a difference at ~100lbs.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

OP those are dual rate springs, and taller. What this means is you're going to have a softer and more comfortable ride driving normal/over rough road, also with some more body roll/sway.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it juste seems taller and the taller portion is a variable rate part. the large coils are the same number as the oem. isn't this just going to be taller? i mean period. is the extra compression or non compression going to even matter if the car is sitting more stiff overall?

If they're compressing the same it's no stiffer, just taller. Your ride height will be raised and you'll lose some downward suspension travel.

If you want to test it, jack the car up, ratchet strap the spring to the bottom of the wheel, and then lower the corner down onto it.

You're probably not putting all of your weight on it and you're not going to be able to see a difference at ~100lbs.

Ride height is going to be ~800lbs on a corner. You're not going to "feel" the difference between 700 and 800lbs unless you're a very hefty boy.

i dont get these comments about weight. the car weighs the same i weigh the same. the springs have more coils. the taller portion is a variable or different spring amount of coils.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>same
        Well no, the new springs have a four-spring low stiffness section and a 3 spring high stiffness section, the old ones you took out have five.
        Also, dual and progressive springs are meant to have the tighter coil section on TOP, not bottom.
        It's counter intuitive, but the tighter spring coils are the less stiff part, or at least it should be. Test that out and get back to me.

I cant load up rockauto for some reason, but from the pics I think these are ~1.75 inches taller (your floor boards are 2x4s which are actually 3.75 inches wide when trimmed and chamfered) and should naturally compress to .75-1 inches taller, not 3 as you said. The preload on the springs will be higher and your ride height shouldnt change all that much. I could be totally wrong about this as again I cant look the parts up.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

the way they look, the tighter spring coils will fit the bottom of the strut. ok so maybe im sort of talked into using them. want to maybe check out some repair shops and ask for their input. your right im miscounting the oem has 1 more maybe 1 1/2 longer coils than the other one does. i mean, they sell these everywhere. someones had to of used them... ffuuuckk.
          so many idiots own these cars, the old one i have for parts, and this one both they told me how "honda parts fits it hurr". yea right. no they dont. rims do not match the center hub. doesnt stop them from using the wrong rims, look at the pic of the car, those rims hub hole are way larger than the hub. see think abou thow stupid that is. the old car had straight up honda rims, that would click when you took over, sliding back and forth under the lugnuts and they banged up the hubs so much you couldnt even get the right rims on them without impacting the lugnuts over and over and then i still wasnt so sure the lugnuts had fully tightened down.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>the car weighs the same i weigh the same.
        You don't weigh as much as the car, do you?

An 8x difference in weight over 3 inches means 0.375 inch difference at 100lbs. You think you can eyeball 0.375 inch difference when pushing down with 100lbs?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

i dont see what the point is. either way. they are coil springs. ones longer. that is the same as putting 7 inches of blocks between your wheel and the frame and 10 inches. what does any of this have to do with anything?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>he doesn't know that springs compress
            Ok, there's no helping you.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

yea ok youre the one who hasnt made a point. did you mention anything about why this matters?
            FRICKING WOWWWW

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

i never said anything about any weight changing. the cars going to bounce. the springs have nothing to do with THAT. whats your point? you can see the springs are different.
            >durr springs boing.
            springs boing they dont bounce. the weight is same before and after. the car will bounce, you dont even need the car here for this visual. you go down the road and the height, of the topography changes, the car will shift up and down/bounce. the sprins are different. but whats this got to do with weight? just absolutely nothing. im not putting the springs on for some stupid reason, just want to put new springs on

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

ive already said im sure the 2 springs are made from teh same material. harder they would break easier, softer the same.

ok so you've not made a point telling me bout weight.

the only thing I can guess is the diameters may be smaller or something along the spring somewhere. but im pretty sure its probably not. i could go check that.

point being is there is more spring or like a spacer seems to me in it. making for a stiffer ride, you dont seem to understand boing. weight and boing have nothing to do with each other. gravity has to do with it. and what do you got if you dont have gravity? nothing or outer space were it wouldnt matter. why would you need springs in space?

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you can solve all of your questions by looking up the manufacturer's part information and reading the specs
            also kid you're talking to like 5 different people here

Here's a tip: You can't GUESS a spring rate. You need to use consistent methods.
            You need to measure the spring length uncompressed, then do something like add 100 pounds of weight to it and measure the compressed length. First length - second length = the rate at 100lbs, and from there you can do the math to get your spring rate per inch travel.
            People usually install a spring, measure their ride height with no weight on the car, and add some weight and do a bit of easy math to calculate the spring rate.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>hey guis did you know 5 feet of foam will ride harder than 4 feet of concrete? And ride a foot higher, too!

Boy, we should be making bridge supports out of foam.

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

weight has to do with gravity and this has nothing this whole thing to do with this. unless youre asking for some math. but be more ..precise. maybe. like on your own little point that doesnt even matter here stil.

ok sure find out the spring rate. maybe, maybe not. what do i know. they look the same diameter in the coils. i would wager that the material is made from the same stuff. stiffer means harder means more brittle. softer means easier to break. the # of coils and bends in them seem to be what matter

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device)

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>im sure the 2 springs are made from teh same material.
            You don't have a clue what alloy either is made of.
            There are a handful of different compositions used for "stainless steel" as well as "chromoly".
            "Spring steel" is the same.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

it gives me an idea doesnt it? you can put a spring on a scale and push it down a measured amount and get the compression.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Won't make much difference.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The old springs could be compressed/fatigued. I put lowering springs on a similar 92 toyota and it didn't actually change the ride height. OEM spec springs may restore the original monster truck stance.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *