Should I buy a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE with 180k miles? It's going for 4k and is coming from a good family.

Should I buy a 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE with 180k miles? It's going for 4k and is coming from a good family. Planning on taking it to the mountains to camp out of

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

do you have another $4k saved up to fix shit wrong with it?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

There aren't 4k worth of parts on that car. What is he gonna do, overnight an engine from Japan?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

new tires alone are gonna be $1k

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

No. Tires are $50 each in that size.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

keep riding dirty based used tire chad

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

there's nothing better and more economical than a properly retreaded tyre

• 1 month ago
          s10fag

keep riding dirty based used tire chad

used tires not even worth it with the price of new ones

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

wtf is a fullway lmao

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

wtf is a fullway lmao

>putting chink slop on jap steel

• 1 month ago
            s10fag

op's too poor to buy a nicer van, do you think he's buying $240/pc michelin defenders?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Yeah unfortunately 4k gets me a Toyota with 180k miles in this fricked up market

There is a significant chance if will need new struts all around, front control arm bushings, f/r sway bar bushings, valve cover gaskets, a timing belt, water pump, and various other seals and gaskets and emissions components unless you can verify they have been taken care of recently. I've owned Toyotas from that era and all those components are at end of life around this age and mileage. Also the normal wear and tear stuff like tires and brakes.

This is what I'm worried about but it seems like it's coming from a really good home who took good care of it. It's two gay dudes selling it

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

All that stuff can be done for under $2000 if you do it yourself, but you're spending your time on it too.

Idk about your local market but around me, Toyotas of that age and mileage can be found for under 2k if I keep an eye out and jump on a good deal as soon as it shows up.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Vans are usually built to a higher standard based on it being families that buy and own them. Once bought, it will need things done to it here and there but overall if you never stress it itll go another 50k before seals go just due to age. Ex. I own a 04 Savana and a 03 Grand Cara Awd. Vans are solid just dont crash.

One thing they did say was that someone tried cutting off there catalytic converter and they had it welded back on. They've had it checked a few times and their mechanic said everything was solid but the check engine light comes on every once in awhile

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

and here i thought OP was the only gay

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>gay dudes
            Not sure if that helps or hurts how the health was maintained.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Vans are usually built to a higher standard based on it being families that buy and own them. Once bought, it will need things done to it here and there but overall if you never stress it itll go another 50k before seals go just due to age. Ex. I own a 04 Savana and a 03 Grand Cara Awd. Vans are solid just dont crash.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

trust me. the regular wear and tear maintenance feels like it goes on and on, even with these toyotas

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

the belt would have been replaced at least twice at that mileage

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>would have
        Don't you mean should have?

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

good car. weak engine though. i junked mine after around 300k km but it would have ran much longer had i not stuffed it with heavy junk and used it as a cargo hauler.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

There is a significant chance if will need new struts all around, front control arm bushings, f/r sway bar bushings, valve cover gaskets, a timing belt, water pump, and various other seals and gaskets and emissions components unless you can verify they have been taken care of recently. I've owned Toyotas from that era and all those components are at end of life around this age and mileage. Also the normal wear and tear stuff like tires and brakes.

the belt would have been replaced at least twice at that mileage

All that stuff can be done for under $2000 if you do it yourself, but you're spending your time on it too.

Idk about your local market but around me, Toyotas of that age and mileage can be found for under 2k if I keep an eye out and jump on a good deal as soon as it shows up.

I want to say yes because this was the car I learned to drive in and got my license with, but to be honest, a car that age is going to have age related issues just starting to pop up even if it has been well maintained. I know because I just sold my 00 camry which had low miles still and was maintained regularly, but random shit started happening like steering column leaking. After 25 years rubber gaskets and stuff start to break down. I tried to clamp the hose lines to replace a brake caliper that rusted shut and the lines were hard as pvc or something. They def needed to be replaced, but I wasn't about to do that shit so I foisted it off on someone else. I bet you this van is like that. It runs fine probably for the time being, but it doesn't mean it is okay.

Ended up buying it for 3500$. The whole thing is surprisingly mint. They had regular maintenance and a mechanic look at it a few times and everything checked out. They didn't know much on the overall history though so hopefully the owner before them put in some good work. Thanks for the advice

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The big problems on higher mileage 1MZs are the coolant bypass plate, oil pump seals, and oil sludge. Keep up on the maintenance by the book and it'll last you another 200k with minimal money spent. I'd check the timing belt just to play it safe, make sure its not cracking.

>t. '99 Avalon owner

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

fellow 99 avalon owner
          you ever have an issue with a weird scraping or grinding noise up front when you rev up?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

What exactly is by the book? I'm pretty moronic when it comes to cars. I don't have a trustworthy mechanic so I usually 2nd guess all their opinions when I take vehicles in for checkups unless it's serious

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>1MZ
          here again to remind all 1mz owners that if your valve covers are leaking, double washer each valve cover bolt so it can actually be torqued to spec before bottoming out in the hole and causing leaking again soon afterwards

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>1MZ
          here again to remind all 1mz owners that if your valve covers are leaking, double washer each valve cover bolt so it can actually be torqued to spec before bottoming out in the hole and causing leaking again soon afterwards

am i fricking up using 5w30 himi in mine? 130k miles

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

if you've been using it for a while just stick with it
            it's generally used when people notice leaks on their otherwise healthy engines

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

higher viscosity oil isn't going to stop a leak. sealing compounds exist for a reason.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

anon is using 5w30. i wouldn't call that high viscosity in the slightest. and where did i mention anything about high viscosity oil??

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

sorry, i thought you were suggesting he use 5w40 despite it not being mentioned. i'm tired.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

fair enough

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I want to say yes because this was the car I learned to drive in and got my license with, but to be honest, a car that age is going to have age related issues just starting to pop up even if it has been well maintained. I know because I just sold my 00 camry which had low miles still and was maintained regularly, but random shit started happening like steering column leaking. After 25 years rubber gaskets and stuff start to break down. I tried to clamp the hose lines to replace a brake caliper that rusted shut and the lines were hard as pvc or something. They def needed to be replaced, but I wasn't about to do that shit so I foisted it off on someone else. I bet you this van is like that. It runs fine probably for the time being, but it doesn't mean it is okay.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *