Should I put premium gas in my Mazda hatch? I want it to go faster.

Should I put premium gas in my Mazda hatch? I want it to go faster.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Put whatever the owners manual recommends, unless you raise the compression and/or tune it, higher octane isn't going to do anything but cost you more money.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Will it at least help keep the engine clean? I'm willing to pay extra.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

93 octane gas literally helps any modern car to run better

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>fullretatd.vlc

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sorry you dont know how detergents work poorgay

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What do you mean by clean? Higher octane won't deal with buildups caused by EGR.
        As

Most mazdas have high compression or turbos so they can make use of super premium and 2 stroke oil. Since you didn't specify, im assuming you have a 1997 RX-7

said, there's a minor benefit to higher octane with these engines, but nothing substantial. Drop 8 liters of 93 or 15 liters of 91 if you wanna raise the octane a point.
        Never buy 89. It's a mix of 87 and 91 and it's priced more expensively than if you mixed the gas yourself.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Buy redex.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you're worried about keeping the engine clean, you want to worry about the brand and not the octane rating. 87 shell will be much better than 98 swill from circlek.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

if it's Top Tier brand rated it's basically gauranteed.
          Others like BP or Bucees dont pay for the license, but are also higher detergent top-tier level.

But yeah a safe bet is buying Shell. I use their 87 and run 2000 miles of 91 every year. Scope shows neat and tidy valves, but I feel sorry for the direct ingection guys. Really wish all automakers were forced to use a DI+MPI dual injection setup.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>bucees
            I never would have guessed. That's cool.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Will it at least help keep the engine clean? I'm willing to pay extra.

Fun Fact
      The engine is tuned to the fuel rating it should use, otherwise fuel higher octane than the rating would premature kill the catalytic converter.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Even funner fact:
        Higher octane is more difficult to combust.
        If an engine is tuned for 89 octane, running 93 octane will actually lower power because of the slower expansion rate (basically pushing the piston slower).

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Put whatever the owners manual recommends
      Why does DA say this about gas but refuses to follow the same advice about oil changes?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Because the engine is designed and tuned to run on X octane. Less can potentially cause damage (though less so in most modern cars) and will make it run like shit, loss of power/efficiency. Higher octane than recommended is just a waste of money in 99% of cases, because it won't provide more power or efficiency. This is a rigid requirement for proper function of the engine.
        Oil change intervals on the other hand are more flexible, and can be used as a marketing tactic.
        >car A needs an oil change every 5000 miles
        >car B needs a change every 10,000
        >see, you'll spend half on the maintenance over the life of the car! Sign here
        Car B, assuming it's not something total dogshit will probably last well past warranty on 10k mile oil changes, lets say 100k miles. Car A, with more frequent changes might last 250k miles because it has fresh, clean oil for more of its life. Car B at the same time, might also make it to 250k miles if it's changed every 5000 instead of 10,000.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Higher octane than recommended is just a waste of money in 99% of cases
          Just like 3000 mile oil changes then

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you're using semi or full synthetic with a good filter and do mostly highway driving 3k would be overkill. If your running conventional with a non wix filter and beating the piss out of it 3k might not be enough.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>If your running conventional
            Goes back to my initial point. How about just running the engine oil of at least the quality and specifications that the manufacturer prescribes. The engineers know more than you. What kind of car made in this millennium allows for mineral oil? You can change your boomer oil every 100 miles if you want to, shit remains shit no matter how often you change it.

>Just like 3000 mile oil changes then
            That depends entirely on your driving habits. Most people actually fall into the "severe duty" or whatever they call it category which has drastically shorter intervals.

no they don't

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Just like 3000 mile oil changes then
            That depends entirely on your driving habits. Most people actually fall into the "severe duty" or whatever they call it category which has drastically shorter intervals.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most mazdas have high compression or turbos so they can make use of super premium and 2 stroke oil. Since you didn't specify, im assuming you have a 1997 RX-7

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

let me phone a friend

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've always wondered, if my car has a lpg/gas system installed doesn't that mean its tuned for a high octane gas?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Propane has an octane rating of 104+ but most conversations dont make use of these properties

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You should put it in the gas tank, not the hatch

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>This petrol engine in the Skyactiv line-up achieves a high compression ratio of 13.0:1 (14.0:1 in some markets

Any engine with a 10:1 or higher compression ratio will perform better on 93 octane everyone who tells you to put 87 octane in the car is a literal moron poorgay who has a carbon filled EGR and shit performance

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>what is direct injection

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Doesn't even know what is direct injection

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

you sure don't seem to

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>14.0:1 in some markets
      I think it's mostly US Mazdas that are 13:1.
      US "regular" fuel is total garbage by international standards, but someone's probably going to fill up with that anyway, and Mazda doesn't want to deal with the aftermath so their US engines are downtuned to avoid that.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>US "regular fuel is total garbage by international standards
        Incorrect. North American octane numbers are not the same as other continents', Europe uses RON (research octane number) while burgers and leaves use AKI (the average of RON and MON, motor octane number) which results in our octane numbers at the pump looking lower but they're really just measured differently. 90 RON is roughly equivalent to our AKI 87.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>90 RON
          they don't sell anything less than 95 RON here and haven't for decades

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

And the highest it regularly goes is RON 98, or AKI 94. Not really any higher.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

lol wut? every gas station near me sells at least 99+

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you also pay $8.50 to $10 per gallon while we pay $3.5 to $5
            Double the cost is not worth the extra 5kw or 0.1L/100km less consumption 3 to 5 octane rating provides.

Even funner fact:
            Higher octane is more difficult to combust.
            If an engine is tuned for 89 octane, running 93 octane will actually lower power because of the slower expansion rate (basically pushing the piston slower).

Frick off with your fun fact shit the both of you.

The octane requirement in a modern engine (anything with spark timing and VVT control) changes with intake temps. I would use 87AKI fuel in winter and switch to 89 in a "typical" climate and 91 in a hot climate when summer comes.
            Engines are octane rated for 30C/85F temps. When the air temps go above 35C/95F you're going to lose -some- performance from the hot air, and above 40C/104F you'll notice slower response from a stop and less power when under load (like hills or carrying multiple people)
            So, if it's a hot week that hits/goes above 95F use 89, and use 91 when it goes above 105F.

But if your car is turbocharged literally use 91 octane all of the time. All of the time no matter what.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

93 is better for cars with forced compression.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Use diesel. It gives the best performance. There is a reason why trucks with powerful engines use it over gasoline.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Should I put premium gas in my Mazda hatch?
    Yes, please do, and then have a smoke near it.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

She's using a solvent to dissolve oils on the car.

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you have the 2.3 turbo or 2.5 turbo engine, for the love of god always use 93 octane. Your engine will thank you.
    If not and you have one of the NA economy engines, it doesn't matter. Those are usually tuned for 87 octane and should be left there for your wallet's sake.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *