so are drum brakes really better?

The more I hear about mechanics talk about drum breaks the more I think they are better than caliper. Calipers are only good because of high speed fade negation. Drums are better all the way around for every single other thing.

So is it best to have caliper front and drum back? Maybe they should all be drum. Obviously calipers are cheaper to make and easier to service and install but honestly drums are better and I could list the reasons why if you really need help.

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

they're not better, they're just hated for no reason.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Always has been

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>no reason
      they're hated because most people nowadays don't know how to change them
      t.actual ASE certified mechanic

• 2 months ago
        Greased Geese

if you can operate a vice grip and slap shoes for 5 minutes you can fix drum brakes.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

No shit, but the majority of people don't understand how they work because
          >"waah there's so many springs and cables"

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If they sucked disc brakes for semi trucks would be infinitely more common than they are now

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Good point. They are better imo. Only for performance cars, no trucks or vans

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That's because drivers don't know how to downshift and constantly smoke their brakes. I wish I had a picture of the pile of drums at work from school by drivers warping and cracking drums from the hills going in and out of town. Like drop it down a gear and slow down at the top of the hill.
      Drums are amazing for raw stopping power longevity and as long as you aren't racing or left foot braking constantly you will not notice any appreciable difference on drums that have been properly assembled and adjusted.
      Drums also mean they don't have to have a separate parking brake system for passenger vehicles so usually if your rear brakes are working so is your parking brake

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Drums handle heat better which is a way higher concern/factor with big rigs. Also discs cost an arm and a leg for them

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Drums handle heat better
        Are you talking about heat in terms of Temperature or Dissipation? Cause if it's the latter then it's literally the fricking opposite.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Its more cost effective to run drums than discs. There's also a ton of lobbying involved with trucking which hinders advancement. In I'm pretty sure in europe most trucks run discs now anyway

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Most new semi tractors in North America are now disk equipped.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

homie what? All trucks in yurop have disc brakes

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>yurop
        >trucks
        haha

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

God I love a needlenose

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

At least they aren't band brakes

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You're not wrong, drums are excellent for everything but heat dissipation and thus, performance.

However, Drums are notoriously annoying to service, especially a full Hardware replacement.

>So is it best to have caliper front and drum back?

Yep, essentially this. Under hard braking your rear brakes contribute only about a quarter to a third of your total braking force, which allows your Disc fronts to bear the brunt of the friction heat.

Meanwhile, under light braking your rears engage first and with more force, both to spare friction material of your Discs and to somewhat counteract the pitching motion that braking the front wheels incur.

As a final bonus, Parking Brakes are easier to implement in Drums compared to Discs, to the point that many rear Disc setups you see will actually have a Drum hidden inside the "hat" that functions exclusively as your Parking Brake.

Really, most Economy Cars have little to gain from having Rear Discs.

Having said that, I'd still rather have Rear Discs because FRICK WORKING ON DRUMS OH MY FRICKING GOD.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Oh stop it you drama queen they're not hard to work on by any stretch.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The ones that do suck are like on the older dana 60 rears where you have to pull the rear axle hub to get the drums off. Who the frick ever thought that was a good idea?

The newer sterling rears are so much better because you just pull the tire and back the shoes off and can pull the drum right off the wheel studs.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>FRICK WORKING ON DRUMS OH MY FRICKING GOD.
      how bad is it? my rears are drums and i'd kinda like to do it myself when the time finally comes

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The first couple times they're tricky (especially if you have a Toyota cause they do it completely backwards from everyone else) but once you get the hang of it they're no big deal. Ask a boomer in your life to help you out, they can do them with their eyes closed.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

drums are fine I guess, they're just annoying to work on. You can throw new brake pads on calipers in like 15-20 mins, drum brakes end up being a project and a half if you aren't working on them every day. Calipers also perform better I think, and its not like modern brake systems are known for failing, they've got the recipe pretty dialed in now. The only shitty part is that rotors are annoying and expensive to replace, and kind of delicate I guess, but you generally don't need to change those anywhere close to as often as your pads or calipers

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

here

>FRICK WORKING ON DRUMS OH MY FRICKING GOD.
      how bad is it? my rears are drums and i'd kinda like to do it myself when the time finally comes

would have included this if I saw you commented before posting, but I used to work in a heavy duty shop and did lots of services on vehicles with drum brakes (local farmers would bring their shitbox farm beaters in because we would turn a blind eye to safety requirements and do a lot of "good enough" fixes that you couldnt get away with for vehicles that will be insured/safetied and driven on public roads).

They're not THAT bad. you just take off the cover, a few bolts and pull out the brake shoe springs to get them loose. Its just the fact that you have to frick around with springs that people dont like, and the drums are sort of famous for being really seized on and hard to get off in a way that doesn't feel destructive if the brakes aren't serviced often enough

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>The only shitty part is that rotors are annoying and expensive to replace, and kind of delicate I guess, but you generally don't need to change those anywhere close to as often as your pads or calipers
      i've mentioned this before but if you want them to last even longer, cryotreat them. guy i took my rotors to get treated had his delivery van's rotors replaced at about 30k miles. the new set he cryo treated and last time i talked to him, he was at a little over 110k miles on them

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

drums are objectively inferior so the losers around here will find reasons to like them out of solidarity

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Oof.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

bro what the frick

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The fade resistance is what matters since it’s what’ll frick you up.

>get off highway
    >”Whoops, wrong exit.”
    >get back on highway and try to get off at the next exit.
    >no fricking brakes

It’s the reason we have runaway truck ramps and all sorts of rules for trucks in hilly regions.
    Having brakes that work trumps every other consideration.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Or just learn to fricking drive, moron.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>drum breaks

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Would ventilation improve it's brake fade issues? Like "drilled" holes, vent ports on the casting, or through backing plate?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

probably better to have vent slots/ports on the backing plate. angle them so that the air flowing past creates a low pressure zone forcing air into the drum and out the slots. kinda like those reverse scoops on hoods.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

In an econobox it really doesn't matter. Yeah they're harder to replace but they last 150k plus miles who cares.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Is it true that some drum systems are self-adjusting? I vaguely remember reading that some implementations did 'something' to the shoes when the car was driven in reverse for several yards.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ones meant to be used purely for parking brake are not. Everything else is self-adjusting. Old VW's had the simplest mechanism for that. Whenever you brake and the shoes press against the drum, that little wedge on the right gets pulled down by it's spring, making the shoe's resting position closer to the drum

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

imagine thinking that complicated contraption of springs and plates is better than just pressing a pad to a disc lmao

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

They have far more shoe area and far more pressure that naturally wants to collapse. Calipers have huge downsides.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *