Anonymous

No, nothing is reliable it's all shit and boring and gay

At least that's what the board says

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

don't forget ugly and slow

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Don't forget Eggshit, McDonald's, and ricer too!

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They are like Toyota in that they don’t innovate. Their most popular cars had the same engine for like 20 years, but the cars have more parts than Toyota, so more issues. Their awd system is cool but utterly useless, its only purpose being to tank fuel mileage.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>They are like Toyota in that they don’t innovate. Their most popular cars had the same engine for like 20 years
      I mean why mess with perfection as after all

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Perfection blew turbos and burned oil. It also made less power than the civic of the same years.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I don't know about you anon, but that sounds perfect to me

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>their awd system is cool but utterly useless

Allow me to retort....

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I don’t live on a hill of sand. I agree, their awd is great, but most people who drive Subaru don’t need it 99% of the time. Their gas mileage will suffer and they will have additional maintenance

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I live in California and see so many people spend extra money for all wheel drive cars for no apparent reason

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Last time I was in California, there was snow and mandatory chains, but I didn't have chains so I sped through that section in 4wd. Unironically, half of California is flooded or snowed in regularly, and half of the state catches fire regularly, so 4 wheeling out of disasters might be a matter of survival

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Sure; but that's not "utterly useless".

I live in the mountains and we've got some really curvy roads, some steep roads and some unpaved roads and when there's ice or snow or just heavy rain that AWD is nice to have. I'd say the AWD is definitely useful for general bad weather conditions, particularly in winter.

Does everyone need it? Definitely not. Does it reduce fuel efficiency and increase repair costs? Yes. But if you've got lousy roads to deal with its handy.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Save $100 in gas driving 2wd shitbox
            >Get stuck one day and spend $500 to get it towed, plus $500 to fix

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>they don't innovate
      If innovation means stuffing 1l 3cyl turbo, endless electronic modules and nanny shit, you can keep it.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

In my experience, yes. About as reliable as the Hondas and Toyotas I've owned. However the maintenance is more expensive due to the AWD and spark plugs.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

yeah they're fine, the older the better when it comes to subaru.
    h6 is about as goat as it can get with them, ej22 2nd in line.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Rental companies use every brand for their fleets EXCEPT for Subaru. Really makes you think. They include Kias and Volvos in their fleets but not any Subarus. Think that over.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Ive never rented a Volvo. Usually its kia, Hyundai, nissan, dodge, ford, chevy.

Subaru business model doesn't require them to make rental spec cars to rent.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

There is no such thing as a "rental spec". Most rental fleets go for mid to higher end models because they're more appealing to renters and sell better at the auctions. There the same cars normal people are buying. There's no reason why Subaru can't make something like that.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Subaru has enough regular customers that they dont need fleet sales. Companies only chase rental car business when they produce more than they can sell. Also Subarus are pretty boring rentals. Like when I rent a car I go after an economy car unless I need a minivan. Im not going to get a "premium car" so literally just some random compact shitbox makes me happy unless its a nissan with a horrible CVT. If a subaru was on the rental lot, no one would upgrade to it. It would have to be mirage price for it to make sense for a rental company to have one.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Subarus are pretty boring rental

I think there would be a market for them in winter in the north; but then Subaru would need to double down on rust proofing which could also be a good selling point for them. My family who live in Minnesota buy cars expecting them to get roached. It would make sense for a company like Subaru that already markets itself with its all wheel drive to market itself as being the most rust proof car you could buy.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Good for Subaru that they don't associate themselves with rentals.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Hell no

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

engines yes
    transmissions no

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just the 5 speed stick.

The 6 speed, and the 4 and 5 speed autos are about bullet proof

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>boxer engine
    >cvt transmission

Lmao, it's no wonder they don't rice them up with turbos anymore. They underpower them so they don't blow up.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>cvt transmission

A note on that if you're looking to buy one. They started using the CVTs in 2013.

So I'd either get a manual or try to get a 2010-2012 or maybe one of the newer ones if you trust the CVTs have had the bugs hammered out of them.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Manual subarus suck now. The Crosstrek & wrx manuals have super wide 1-2 & 2-3 shift but then the rest are super close. Totally sucks for turbos, and totally sucks for the underpowered Crosstrek. Id only buy a CVT Subaru cause of how shitty the manual transmissions are. Cause the Crosstrek needs to stay near redline to accelerate instead of dropping to 3k when you hit 2nd

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Subarus are like 50% of the used car market here it's so annoying. It snows like three times a year and they get plowed right away, but people think they need AWD or they will die

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a 20 year old, beat up lesbo wagon for $4k about 8 months ago with the original 2.5l kek quality head gaskets. It drips a tiny bit of oil from one head. Haven't done a thing to it except machine the front rotors. It runs like a swiss watch and has been 100% reliable.

Take that as you will.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a WRX brand new off the lot in 2016 and the only issues I've had with it over the last 8 years is I had to replace the battery a couple years ago and the clutch throw out bearing is a little squeaky when it's really cold. It's been quite reliable IMO.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

How many KM or Miles? That's my car

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you're moronic: no. If you are not moronic and don't neglect your vehicle and make garbage modifications to it: yes.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah, but they don't come close to the gold standard of reliability.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

*leaks oil and coolant in your path*

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Serviced a fleet of caravans I changed so many of these damn things.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Subaru has the cool oil filters so yes it's reliable.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Is this why they all sound like they're about to spin a bearing when they cold start?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>what is an anti-drainback valve

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Something Subaru probably doesn't use. Not surprising considering their current oil issues.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>moron posts assumptions proving his inability to google simple questions
            It's part of the oil filter on most applications, and no modern spin on oil filter designs exclude one. Otherwise you'd be refilling the oil filter every single time you started it on any car with an upside down, angled, or sideways filter, and running the rod bearings dry for a second. It's the little rubber/silicone flap you can see through the small outlet holes between the sealing gasket and the threaded inlet hole.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Solid cars, i don't have any experience with subaru's past 2010 but the ones i know have been reliable. You can get a freak from time to time that ether will fall apart immediately or last forever, for example. A friend of mine bought a 2005 subaru legacy with 95k miles, lasted about 5 months before the transmission blew, got it replaced then 2 months later the head gaskets went, but then you have my other friends dad who bought 2007 forester in 2010 and except for regular maintenance has literally replaced nothing and it has close to 200k miles.
    One last thing i forgot to add, if you see diesel run.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>if you see diesel run.
      Subaru made a diesel engine? I don't recall ever hearing about that in the US, is it a Euro thing?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yeah, Euros got a diesel boxer. It's not good.
        On the subaru trannies: only one troony from Subaru was every worth a damn, and that is the 6 speed manual in the STI. Easily one of the best I've ever driven. Sadly the rest of them suck.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I remember searching for Sti's not a long ago and some of the listed ones were the 2.0D boxer and all of the descriptions were like: nice diesel engine, reliable low mpgs great for daily driving. They were asking 10k€ for them tho

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They're up there with Honda and Mazda these days if you're buying a new one or a recent year model. They do have some quirks though that make them a little more expensive to repair. Old Foresters, Bajas, and Outbacks are very reliable.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru OP.
    Gosh you're such a a silly goose I will kiss you

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have a 2019 Outback that has 90-something thousand miles and it runs alright for the pretty tough off-roading I've put it through. The engine itself is the big problem with the vehicle (glitter in oil) because of previously moronic oil change intervals and the extremely hot weather here during summer months, but everything else is just fine. The troony seems alright to me.

Cars will last you so long as you change the fluids consistently and perform other kinds of maintenance (Clean the MAF, throttle, spark plugs, air filter, etc.). Differential oil and troony fluid cannot be forgotten.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My 02 WRX had 390,000km on it still running fine,
      It is just the suspension that needs work.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Anyways, its a great car. Their AWD systems are extremely based (if you don't off road/explore you're either boring or live in a boring place) and they ride nicely. When I get moar money in the future I'm getting an Outback Wilderness, lifting it, and putting on rugged bumpers.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

For frick's sake at that point just buy a Jeep like a normal person.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>chrysler

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

lmao no.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>genesis
      >kia
      >buick
      >chevrolet
      >hyundai
      >mini
      All in top 10. Who makes these moronic rankings?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>he believes the J(ew) D Power rankings

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>blows head gasket

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

They worked that out by 2010. If you get one prior to 2010 get a V6 that didn't have that problem or make sure its had the head gasket work done.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no. frick subaru. porsche makes superior boxer motors

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Chrysler is based

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Subaru Natsuki seems reliable.
    Doesn't have a very good track record if you read the CARFAX, but you can always count on it not wanting to let Rem down and trying its best.

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

One look at their engine and I said "FUUUCK that shit". Those timing chains...jeez.

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

there has been 3 subarus in my family for atleast 25ish years(near constantly)
    and from this experience they have been super reliable.
    1st subaru was 2nd gen legacy
    only mechanical issue it had was during one very cold winter rear suspension collapsed.
    After my gramps was done with the legacy he gave it to my dad to drive.
    then gramps bought 4th gen outback, 2,5NA with auto gearbox
    Drove for nearly 10 years then gave it to my dad again, which we sold few years later due to rust issues. once again mechanically perfectly reliable.
    Now gramps drives 6th gen outback with 2,5NA and cvt and once again perfectly reliable car

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Your grandpa is a certified Subaru fiend. He should get a WRX next

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

sadly he isnt a car guy.
        for him car is a method of transportation nothing else.
        but yeah he is one of those "only gonna buy a subaru" types of guys.
        Hence why I still consider RCR subaru loyale as one of my fav car reviews ever since he genuinely describes my families experience with subarus.
        he did consider trading in his current outback for an xv after his dog died since as he said he doesnt really need a car this big anymore.
        wonder how he wouldve reacte if ive bought that SVX I wanted.

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Their engines lack oil when cornering.
    vehicles affected
    brz
    gr86

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

theyre good if you do the required maintainence on time. if you ignore/delay shit like timing belts and oil they will grenade. like others have said the auto boxes arent great but ive never had problems with them other than being a bit boring.
    new ones are shit though.

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>so are subarus reliable or not?
    Short anwers: HELL NO

31. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
  32. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

ffs, is it finally time for me to buy new car

33. 2 months ago
    Anonymous