so does cold air intake actually do anything at all or is it just snake oil for ricers?

so does cold air intake actually do anything at all or is it just snake oil for ricers?

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Short answer: barely
    Long answer: barely but with an inadequate understanding of airflow, thermodynamics, and engineering concepts but an acknowledgement that it looks and sounds cool but you need a tune and wider exhaust to see small gains out of them

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

snake oil most of the time
    you need to get away from the hot engine, most cheap CAI dont do that, they dont even have a wall

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>you need to get away from the hot engine
      Do you? Do you really?
      What if you goal was to suck maximum air disregarding the ambient temperature? Does it even matter much at speed?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah now post the rest of that induction setup

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Does it even matter much at speed?
        no, it doesnt. the hot air intake people are either stoplight ricers or morons
        here's my k&n on a 85 degree day

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>here's my k&n on a 85 degree day
          Either your ECU's cutting fuel or you're getting knock. I'm assuming you've tuned it so you might want to try a run with a higher octane.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Only at WOT. Otherwise it fricks up the powerband.
    t. dynamometer technician

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're good at letting dirty air into your engine that's about it.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This has been thoroughly debunked by testing oil contaminants. If you literally never change your oil it can build up, but at that point you're already risking your engine with old used up oil. If you change your oil at a standard interval, there's no difference.

https://i.imgur.com/BBf8JO0.jpeg

Short answer: barely
      Long answer: barely but with an inadequate understanding of airflow, thermodynamics, and engineering concepts but an acknowledgement that it looks and sounds cool but you need a tune and wider exhaust to see small gains out of them

>you need a tune
      Wow crazy, you mean like how any computer controlled engine already does? It's just a bit of extra air not a supercharger, your ECU can accommodate it

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Ironically enough, it turns out my ECU can accommodate a supercharger also.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Most computers have upper and lower value limits from sensor readings, which means without a tune your computer will set default air/fuel ratios, timing advance, and valve lift if applicable. In some cases codes can be set if these values are out of range, up and downstream O2, Manifold Pressure/Flow, or other sensors. So yes, tuning is important for making the most from bolt ons.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

If the filter somehow alters your AFR, then your o2 sensor just trims it back in you brainlet

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They make mad induction noise, that's what most people get them for

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

they do not make a significant increase in power on most cars
    they do make your engine sound much louder and deeper at WOT though
    best sound upgrade if you only care about how the car sounds while you are inside driving it

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

works for me, but the stock 4.slow airbox had a tiny trumpet, like1-2in diameter. The bigger filter allowed better response.
    It's also good on motorcycles with non-vacuum slides, when you can't get OEM filters.
    Sound is cool too.

It's as good as an aftermarket exhaust system. For modern cars you get mostly sound, for older cars you might get a performance increase after tune.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It would if it's outside of the hot engine bay.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I live in a high Salt, heavy winter area. I've heard that these things allow salt particles into the engine. Is this actually true? Is my engine at risk if I install one of these? I drive my v8 camaro year round. I don't want a tiny upgrade to brick my engine.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the cone is fricking snake oil. most cars if not all take cold air from specific box.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

a box with 10 noise suppressors hanging off it
      get a pod and FREE THE DORTS

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

What is more cringe than lot of noise and not of horsepower?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

your car

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

which is lot of horsepower and no noise. people get physically devastated why it's so silent yet had greater acceleration

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

owning a tesla isn't cool anon.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>caring about what other people think
          >he doesn't personally enjoy listening to his own engine

Do you even drive spiritedly?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

what's it like being so salty? I have a slow shitbox that sounds great, and I get waves, nods and revs from randos in much faster/nicer cars. I'll rev at you too if your car is cool or sounds Nice. it's really only the nogs/infiniti drivers that take that as if I'm suggesting I'm about to frick their mom

https://i.imgur.com/Rbpq1rX.jpeg

>caring about what other people think
          >he doesn't personally enjoy listening to his own engine

Do you even drive spiritedly?

there's also this. who doesn't like hearing their own car sometimes? who cares if others like it, it's yours to enjoy. there are some absolute trash sounding engines out there but as long as you didn't straight pipe it and blast down my street at 3am, who gives a frick

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>muh
    >hot
    >engine
    >bay
    already cooled with fresh air the split second you pull away from a stop.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Well thee FPIK is kinda necessary for any LH Chrysler car. The stick intake was way to narrow and caused pretty much every problem with the car. Once installed they a bullet proof.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

When done right yes, cold air is denser air

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What if my car came factory with it

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

it changes the induction sound. thats it. look at a REAL racing car. fully sealed airboxes, like the factory one on your hyundai. just in carbon. hint that theyre bullshit? why would you want hot air from the enginebay? when you could have cold air from OUTSIDE the engine bay like the factory set up? best is a low flow filter element in the stock box and make the racecar noises yourself

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>REAL racing car. fully sealed airboxes, like the factory one on your hyundai. just in carbon
      and about 10x bigger
      and with a giant foam filter

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

and mm sized RESTRICTORS . fricking idiot i mentioned the filter. the ironing of that meme in this situation. you fricking spanner

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>it's just like the airbox in your hyundai bro

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

the hyundai n race cars use the stock airbox pattern but made in carbon. and a hi flow filter. induction is regulated under group a, n and other production classes.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>meanwhile actual race cars

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Just some random tidbits:
    They make cars sound better when you put the throttle down, that's it. I've had them on 6/6 of the cars I've owned just for this reason.
    On some 80's cars you could get some gains because there were actual bottlenecks sometimes.
    The EFI system can adjust to moderately-more airflow so you don't necessarily need a tune on a non-turbo car.
    The temperature doesn't mean jack shit in practice. Heatsoak is overblown.
    You only have to worry about hydrolock if your filter is right above the ground and you drive through water.

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I cant find the video anymore but years ago there was a video showing how different intakes and filters affect an engine's performance on a dyno. Basically, paper filters allow just as much air into an engine as a high performance filters, there was a small difference near red line. Some OEM intakes are apparently designed to create turbulence that allows air speed to increase into the engine as RPMs increase, aftermarket tubes eliminate that and hurt power.

long tubed independent throttle body is where the money is at.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *